Amy Gardner’s High Brix Dreams

Great Friday morning to ya Amy. About your extraction.
Imo...its best to leave it run 24/7....365. It won't hurt anything and will keep fresh air in there all the time.
Now if yoyr desling with nouse and cant sleep with it running ...well...thats different but no timer is needed for your extraction fan...just plug it in..and let it run...one less timer to worry about. Your enviro is well within our sweet spot , so your golden .
Have a great day would ya.

Good morning to your good self Duggan. Thanks heaps for that, I really appreciate you & the other misfits dropping by
:smokin:

I do have a noise consideration with the fan so am finding a compromise between my comfort and the plant’s comfort. I have an idea to tweak the fan a bit for reduced noise so I’ll see how that goes and aim to have it running as much as possible.
Cheers

Have a great Friday folks :ciao:

I was on this page again and remembered that I had wanted to respond to this at the time. This is serious philosophical stuff now ... :D ...

We should all take some spare stoned moments sometime, to contemplate what a law is all about and what are its results.

In the end, after a law has been violated and the perpetrator apprehended, what has happened? The perp is given a bunch of rules about the procedure of the law and he/she is processed, etc. The penalty is fixed within a range of fines and detention - no beatings or scarring or permanent damage, no public humiliation or exile. Often the living conditions in detention are healthier and safer than the place the perp came from. The victim? ... well, still the victim, no special attention, etc. If NOT for the law, what would likely have happened? It's likely that the perp would have had some very ugly things happen to him/her. It would be swift and harsh and declarative, with no "protections" other than an intervention by any other people at the scene. The victim would have then been figuratively embraced by the community as a demonstration that "this cannot stand". It would provide a natural and nuturing human closure to the crime.

But that of course, goes very badly over time. Vigilantism is an ugly thing. No can do - can't have that chit.

However, what we forget, every time we think another law is a routinely good idea, is that the law prevents natural human interfaces, which are far more likely to produce results for the community. Laws protect the perps from retribution by the community. Laws don't protect victims because perps don't obey laws. Law should be more of a last resort than a first. Most laws end up, on balance, just screwing things up. I repeat, perps don't care about laws, while ironically, they're the ones that benefit most from laws.

:Namaste:

I am thinking about this quite a lot (and have done so in times past as well). No doubt a worthy response will land at some stage... :thumb:

:reading420magazine:

I do have a noise consideration with the fan so am finding a compromise between my comfort and the plant’s comfort. I have an idea to tweak the fan a bit for reduced noise so I’ll see how that goes and aim to have it running as much as possible.
Cheers

I actually turn on a fan in my bedroom at night just to generate white noise (well, now with my wife's hot flashes, the breeze helps :)) because we find it hard to sleep in the silence. City slickers much?

Hello Amy,
I just found your journal and read all of it. Great tutorials on your work. You and I do things similarly. I wanted to give you another option on how you can set up the environment. Just about everyone does a fresh/unsealed setup but there is also a recirculating/sealed setup as well. Fresh air/unsealed sucks out everything you put in the tent but, if you run a recirculating/sealed system just like you air conditioning and heating system in your house you keep what you input in the tent. Sealed system works really well as long as heat from your lights aren't a problem. Carbon scrubbers still do their job in this setup. I seal my tent to raise temps or maintain humidity levels especially when temps outside get cold because i grow in a garage. Fresh air/unsealed would suck the heat out of the tent that i just produced to try and keep temps right. So i change my tent from sealed or unsealed depending on what my needs are. I have a 5x5 with 6 inch fan and carbon scrubber. To change from unsealed to sealed is simply changing where your fan exhausts. Inside or outside the tent. Just food for thought. Keep up the good work.

Hello Amy,
I just found your journal and read all of it. Great tutorials on your work. You and I do things similarly. I wanted to give you another option on how you can set up the environment. Just about everyone does a fresh/unsealed setup but there is also a recirculating/sealed setup as well. Fresh air/unsealed sucks out everything you put in the tent but, if you run a recirculating/sealed system just like you air conditioning and heating system in your house you keep what you input in the tent. Sealed system works really well as long as heat from your lights aren't a problem. Carbon scrubbers still do their job in this setup. I seal my tent to raise temps or maintain humidity levels especially when temps outside get cold because i grow in a garage. Fresh air/unsealed would suck the heat out of the tent that i just produced to try and keep temps right. So i change my tent from sealed or unsealed depending on what my needs are. I have a 5x5 with 6 inch fan and carbon scrubber. To change from unsealed to sealed is simply changing where your fan exhausts. Inside or outside the tent. Just food for thought. Keep up the good work.
You would need to implement co2 wouldn't you if in a sealed room?

H
Just food for thought. Keep up the good work.
Hi TripleBeam and welcome :welcome:

Glad to have you along. Thanks for your appreciative words, and that is really good food for thought. At present it does get too hot I there if I don’t have it venting with open intake at the bottom so I’m not sure how that would work with the current conditions. It’s something I’ll definitely think about going forward if I have trouble stabilising things. Thanks for throwing it in to the mix :thumb:

:nomo:

I hope everyone is having, does have, a nice weekend.

I’m enjoying a rare overnight visit from a dear friend which is lovely. Their employment is fairly high in government departments so we kind of have an agreement that my garden is off limits for conversation... until the job changes, or the law changes. So I’m just taking some rest time out for a while and it’s times like this that having a vaporiser is super duper handy. I can enjoy some medicine without the smell of it making anyone uncomfortable. Do t got me wrong, this is a cool friend who I’ve smoked around in the past - just the current job situation is restrictive ;).

Happy days to have my Vaporizer :slide: little toke, little rest - then we have a philosophy documentary called The Examined Life to watch. I highly recommend it...

:volcano-smiley:

If a tent is sealed with no fresh air supply wouldn’t the co2 become depleted? And wouldn’t photosynthesis slow or stop depending on how often you opened the tent? Or when you say sealed tent do you simply mean recirculating air and there is still ports bringing in fresh air?

Reminds me of a science experiment back in my agriculture days in high school where we had a plant inside a jar and a plant outside a jar. Both receiving same light and deprived of water. The plant in the jar wilted and died far quicker than the one outside proving the need for fresh air. Lol. But I’m sure that not what we are talking about here. Just wanted to clarify.

... :hmmmm: yes I expect you’d still have an open vent... but I haven’t looked into it any further. Last 24 hrs temps have been 23-26 in the day and down to 18 overnight with RH 41-55%. Plant looks awesome- internodal shoots everywhere! All I’m doing is checking pot weight now and keeping the humidifier in water :popcorn:

Update: Blue Dream - day 14

We’re currently into the second week of the waning moon cycle and over the next week all the lunar influence is continuing to enhance whatever is happening beneath the soil, or so lunar gardeners such as myself believe. The dark moon is about roots. One writer on moon gardeneing (Ute York) refers to it as the earth breathing in and out with the moon cycle (I’m paraphrasing a bit) so the waning cycle is when the earth is breathing in...

It’s also a good time to ‘turn inwards’ a bit ourselves. The dark moon period, particularly the last quarter that we are now entering, is a great time for extra rest and meditation, clearing out old stuff that’s cluttering up your life unnecessarily and letting go of things that cause you pain. You can do any of those things at any time of course, but doing them during a dark moon week will bring some lovely cosmic support for your efforts.:battingeyelashes:

Over the last week I continued to make minor adjustments to the tent environment, resetting the monitor at the end of every day to get a read on the next 24hrs. I built the extraction unit and adjusted until the environmentals settled to within tolerance. We’re holding with 23-27ºC during the day (usually on 25-6) and down to 17º-19º overnight, right on the edge. RH is steady between 40 and 56%. A few days ago, I moved the plant away from the centre of the tent a bit, towards a corner and this allowed me to set the humidifier and the fan up a bit better. The moisture gets nicely distributed by the fan now and the plant seems very happy with the new arrangement. It’s only a slight adjustment but it seems better - and I’ll need to tweak it again over the coming weeks as it grows. In future I’ll always start witht the seedling off to the side like this. It’s pretty much where it would be if it was in a veg area with other plants.

It may or my not be completely coincidental but just after I did that I think the roots must have found their feet into the soil battery and growth really took off! Shoots appeared at every node and the distance between nodes is looking really really good :slide: I know it’s said to be the boring part of the grow, but i’m not bored at all (granted I’m new to indoor so have been entertained getting environmentals in order).

For this update, my new camera got an outing with the new closeup lens I received a while back for my birthday (the camera was a birthday present too). I just did everything on full auto mode. I’m now in love with this lens...

Everything is as it should be :ganjamon:

Hope y’all are having a lovey Sunday, or Monday morning (like me), or simply a wonderful day on whatever da it happens to be when you pass by. Thanks for visiting!

I’m off to cruise the other gardens for a while ...:surf:

:Namaste:

Kee it going
:welcome:
Welcome Lawjr314 :passitleft:

We must have posted simultaneously!:high-five:

And a big welcome to the 420 Mag too. It’s great to have you along. I hope your finding what you need around the site. It’s a wonderful and largely non-judgemental community here and I hope you have as much fun joining in as I have/am :thumb:

Good morning to your good self Duggan. Thanks heaps for that, I really appreciate you & the other misfits dropping by
:smokin:

Cheers

When i lived in a unit I used a thick towel (really any thick material will do) wrapped around the fan to help reduce noise pollution..just food for thought :)

NO worries @TripleBeam :thumb: I’ll be happy to come and be entertained by your garden too :)

So, please elaborate about those clockwise somersaults... :hmmmm:

Thanks and heres a lil sum frm my garden

Thanks for sharing :thumb: your charges are looking pretty healthy and happy there.

I’m going to ask that you dont post any more pink/plurple images in here for me. I’m really happy for folks to share pics here but I have some neurological issues that make those pink wash images really painful to look at. NO worries about that one, yo couldn’t have known. And there was enough natural light that I could make out the plants ok. Just if you want share others try to make them natural light photos for me please :battingeyelashes::Namaste:

Admin aside ;) PLease make yourself at home and enjoy some of the produce from my summer grow...

:passitleft:

When i lived in a unit I used a thick towel (really any thick material will do) wrapped around the fan to help reduce noise pollution..just food for thought :)

Ok good, thanks. I’ve been thinking about shoving some foam in there. It;s not the fans that make most of the noise, its the rushing air in the pipe I think (and the box - a definite design flaw ;) )

I’m thinking that once I attach the filter I’m thinking of, then that will reduce noise and light leak issues. IN the meantime it’s manageable but I will employ some version of what you suggest and see how it goes... although it’s working quite well now, and isn’t super noisy... I’ll see what I end up managing. :)

Back
Top Bottom