Yes - crane flies. The larvae eat roots in soil, so if you see a bunch around, it would be good to check your roots the next up-pot.
Thanks! I’ll be glad to recognise them now if i do see them.

I have zero chance of keeping flying things completely out of my room, which the tent is in, so I have to just be as diligent as possible and hope for the best. Growing High Brix has really helped with that :cheesygrinsmiley: I hope to get to resilient levels of plant health with the new systems I’m trying and developing over the next few years, but it‘s going to take some time. The kit is some big shoes to fill :)

Amy, re your cuttings in water, how often do you change it? Do you add a couple drops of H2O2?
NO and no! LOL!
I’m not trying to clone these really. I just keep them in water (we have only rainwater here) that I top up periodically.

When I have tried to clone in the past and been diligent about everything I’ve had no luck - but roots sprouted in water on a cutting I didn’t pay much attention to. It was in low humidity, water nearly dried out once etc. - roots. Well, beginnings of roots. That’s happened to me before and sounds like it’s happened to others. Van Stank is growing a Jack Herer right now that was a forgotten cutting behind a whole lot of boxes and left for a very long time. Discovered with roots - now an exceptional looking plant! NOt recommending t it as a method or anything... just happens.

But yeah - I’m not trying to clone right now. It’ll be a bonus if any root. I just keep them in rain water on the Window sill while they look nice. If I have any roots on them once my grow box is built then i might do something :)

High Amy,Felipe :passitleft: Hope y'alls day is buzzing right along. Learning to clone- about 50% success rate. Wanted so show you a pic, Amy. I read that about just putting the cuttings in water. Works with a lot of houseplants so why not!Stay safe and stay stoned
20200628_095900.jpg
20200625_121837.jpg

Amy, I read this article almost ten years ago and it literally changed my life as a grower:

Bonsai Mothers

I now keep numerous plants as Bonsai Moms in a small veg tent. Most are only about 1' tall and in 4" (about half a liter) containers. I can take a dozen or more clones of any one of them at any time and double that if I let them grow out for a few weeks.

When I clone these days, I go directly into a 2" container with soil and under a humidity dome for 1-2 weeks with near 100% success. Once rooted, they get moved to the mom/clone tent until I'm ready to move them to one of the other tents to flower, though I usually up-pot and let them veg for a couple/few more weeks in their final container before flip.

Bonsai Moms
Thanks Krip! - I actually remember getting to that via one of your threads sometime ago and bookmarked it “for future reference” and long since forgotten :cheesygrinsmiley: So thanks for the reminder.

If I get another Candida like the first one I grew I would love to be ready to do just that. It’s one of the reasons I’m thinking about the small grow box too.

I think a new setup for something is always a synthesis of the 420 different ways there are to do it, or things like it, and we just keep referencing, reading, imagining and planning until the time comes to do it, and then... something happens. :)

I really hope some version of those clone mums is in my future. One way or another, the ability to hang on to couple of cuts is a necessity.
:passitleft:

Grow planning has its own exponential growth rate! :laughtwo:

Update Supplemental: I up-potted the Panama. I didn’t dilute the soil more than about 10%. I’m not at all sure about this soil, but we will see how it goes.

I feel totally stupid that my long awaited single Panama seed is the test subject for me working out how to use this new stuff. I followed that feeling by doing something a bir stupid today I think. I decided to water it in with the fish hydrolysate and I mixed it for transplant strength instead of seedling strength and it was really strong looking. Before the lights went out I was sure I could see the tips showing the first signs of burn and now I am dreading what it will look like in the morning. I may be about to learn some things the hard way via Panama :eek: :laughtwo: Such is life.

It’s been 2 years since I grew this way and that was in my own soil so I knew what was in it. I may have just gone from one end of the pendulum swing to the other (not enough... to way too much). Ooops :oops:

I was working on my own today so photos a minimal but i did take some!
7CC24416-1120-48BF-AFED-8D9770E6C958.jpeg

Nice roots. I hope they’re not going through hell right now. :rolleyes:
D6EF39BC-2258-4CB8-94F3-C91C9FE58F63.jpeg

6D0020AC-B1A9-4A1C-949F-486463EFB285.jpeg

Wish me US luck! :lot-o-toke:

Update Supplemental: I up-potted the Panama. I didn’t dilute the soil more than about 10%. I’m not at all sure about this soil, but we will see how it goes.

I feel totally stupid that my long awaited single Panama seed is the test subject for me working out how to use this new stuff. I followed that feeling by doing something a bir stupid today I think. I decided to water it in with the fish hydrolysate and I mixed it for transplant strength instead of seedling strength and it was really strong looking. Before the lights went out I was sure I could see the tips showing the first signs of burn and now I am dreading what it will look like in the morning. I may be about to learn some things the hard way via Panama :eek: :laughtwo: Such is life.

It’s been 2 years since I grew this way and that was in my own soil so I knew what was in it. I may have just gone from one end of the pendulum swing to the other (not enough... to way too much). Ooops :oops:

I was working on my own today so photos a minimal but i did take some!
7CC24416-1120-48BF-AFED-8D9770E6C958.jpeg

Nice roots. I hope they’re not going through hell right now. :rolleyes:
D6EF39BC-2258-4CB8-94F3-C91C9FE58F63.jpeg

6D0020AC-B1A9-4A1C-949F-486463EFB285.jpeg

Wish me US luck! :lot-o-toke:

Trying to balance risk, reward, learning and spontaneous exploration is its own dance! :laughtwo:

Excited for you, good luck!

:Namaste:

(not enough... to way too much). Ooops :oops:
IF it does show signs of an overdose- giving it a "root rinse" as soon as possible might keep the burn/damage to a minimum....
It's like the Narcan of plant stuff....plain water and lots of it...

Thanks carcass! I was wondering about that. If needed I will give it a good dunking rinse through!

It woke up looking pretty good - perky and praying a bit. Leaf tips are still a bit pale but nothing worse, and actually looking at that picture maybe there’s a hint of it there already.

Fingers crossed :popcorn:

Hi Amy, it took me a while to land in your journal, but I am here now! I too have had success cloning with humidity domes (albeit makeshift domes). Good luck this round!!
Welcome Dutchin’! :welcome: I’m glad you found your way to this landing. Me and my cronies will be happy to have you along
:passitleft:

Mini update: Thankfully Panama is Not Fried! :smokin:

Still pale, but the posture is good so the transplant has landed ok so far. Very purple/red petioles - and has had for a while. The whole grow has had that. I keep wondering if my temp probe is out of whack, but i have an Accurite in there as well. We’re not getting below 66ºF/18ºC overnight according to 2 different monitorings. Must be something else :hmmmm: . No biggie. Won’t really know until Panama recovers a lot more. 15 mins into lights on...

264B0E7F-11F3-4C04-AF04-96199A23E569.jpeg

4AAE5A72-152C-46B8-BBDF-1D3810DF63FB.jpeg

7E135038-A5EC-4692-B7E6-59EE40BC9219.jpeg

BA1F14F5-6707-4860-A8FA-30519214B423.jpeg

Eat up! :laughtwo:

And a couple of bonus DDA buds snapped with the phone at the same time...

Satellite bud
701E8D57-C3BC-4F44-85DF-59F64D5B4F26.jpeg

Lowest buds on the whole plant. This is about 3.5’ from the lights and still making decent flowers. Not larfy really at all.

1948EDEF-4D7A-43BC-9D37-4579A4F8C247.jpeg

It’s starting to fade really nicely. The large old fans have been fading for a while and just now, as the pistil hairs are rapidly drying and receding, they are starting to get these lovely red blushes that I remember from past ripenings.
B4A792E8-9688-4275-B37C-E707FE822B25.jpeg

And for the general grow record, DDA, NLA and Sour Bubba all got a Brix foliar misting this morning and SB had a couple drops Snake Oil added.

Take care and stay safe out there folks!
:love: :surf:

Back
Top Bottom