Man, sorry to hear of the nanners. One of mine got them last grow but thankfully at the very end so I harvested her (or isn't him ha), early.

Rosetta's buds are looking beautiful

Man, sorry to hear of the nanners. One of mine got them last grow but thankfully at the very end so I harvested her (or isn't him ha), early.

Rosetta's buds are looking beautiful
I'm going to look over all the branches on her again today. I don't think anything opened up. What I did find, seemed immature. Whatever happens outside, I'm not worried about it. Shed mentioned to give her a couple more weeks and then she'll likely get the chop.

I know. I really am a culprit of it because of my overwatering fears. Here's the thing. In the group shots, the back right corner is a 7 gallon self-watering pot. Haaaa haaa. It's doing great. I actually try to keep the reservoir level at a minimum if possible. I prefer to topwater to help with the GF nutrients breakdown. Need to keep it moist and watering from above helps drive the soluable stuff deeper into the root zone.

So I agree with you about those pots beings easier. The reservoir gives me some buffer for the water roots to drink from.

Here is another thing I find funny. In self-watering pots, all the excess runoff ends up in the reservoirs. But if we are using other pots, everyone insists on not letting your plants absorb the runoff by putting them on stands. IDK...Just rambling about something that has my non-stoned mind thinking. I think I need to go smoke...

Hey now! Those are awesome! Thanks Verb. Good looking out. I am currently thinking that with my already endless list of tasks, it may be better to just buy one and try it out.

I'm definitely with you there. I try not to starve them of anything. Been doing my best to only use the GF from start to finish. Really needs to be seen how variable genetics can be. I'm using the GF 'Bloom' which does have some N but I think I underestimated her needs. I gave her extra in the past couple topdresses. I will likely be starting a compost tea today to give them a boost for the next half of flower. I'll include some extra N for all of them. Thanks again Verb.
Hahahaha that is funny...

Yea idk. I guess my theory on that is, with the self feed pots, so long as you empty it out like bi weekly or so it doesn't cause any issues and I also think it's because the roots can't reach the runoff on a table as their on the table not in the pot, in this situation with the special pots, they eventually get used by the roots when they're hungry and eventually like I said, you empty em out so they don't just sit there and get yucky...

Again that's my thought who knows. What I do know is not everything is the holy grail in what to do or not to do, that's why I'm a Hippie grower, laissez-faire like and all with a watchful eye

Hahahaha that is funny...

Yea idk. I guess my theory on that is, with the self feed pots, so long as you empty it out like bi weekly or so it doesn't cause any issues and I also think it's because the roots can't reach the runoff on a table as their on the table not in the pot, in this situation with the special pots, they eventually get used by the roots when they're hungry and eventually like I said, you empty em out so they don't just sit there and get yucky...

Again that's my thought who knows. What I do know is not everything is the holy grail in what to do or not to do, that's why I'm a Hippie grower, laissez-faire like and all with a watchful eye
IMHO all the hullabaloo about pots sittin on the runoff water is more likely intended as a caution for the new growers.
And my second humble opinion is that the plants adapt to the environment. Idea of the autopots aka self watering pots is that you put an airy medium (hydroton, perlite etc) in the bottom so the roots don't never have to be fully submerged. Theyre almost like Hempy Buckets but automated bottom watering. Autopots and all the variations always have a copper cloth to put in the bottom so roots wont get through it down to the runoff tray/module where they would be then fully submerged.

My 5L perlite Hempies also always has a stagnant water sitting in the bottom of res. But pouring in a new patch of water draws oxygen down and flushes the old gunk out.
Autopots has the valve which regulates the amount of water flows and theyre designed so the bottom wicks up just enough to moisten the media.

Consequently most of the techniques are like plants sitting in stagnant water, but still they are not. :D

IMHO all the hullabaloo about pots sittin on the runoff water is more likely intended as a caution for the new growers.
And my second humble opinion is that the plants adapt to the environments.
Idea of the autopots aka self watering pots is that you put an airy medium (hydroton, perlite etc) in the bottom so the roots don't never have to be fully submerged. Theyre almost like Hempy Buckets but automated bottom watering. Autopots and all the variations always have a copper cloth to put in the bottom so roots wont get through it down to the runoff tray/module where they would be then fully submerged.

My 5L perlite Hempies also always has a stagnant water sitting in the bottom of res. But pouring in a new patch of water draws oxygen down and flushes the old gunk out.
Autopots has the valve which regulates the amount of water flows and theyre designed so the bottom wicks up just enough to moisten the media.

Consequently most of the techniques are like plants sitting in stagnant water, but still they are not. :D
Hi Verb! :thanks: :passitleft:

You’d faint if you saw me water.

Literally get a gallon of water and pour it straight down her throat then let her sit in what she pees out so she can reabsorb it from the drip tray.

Watering done in less that 17 seconds ✔️

Literally get a gallon of water and pour it straight down her throat then let her sit in what she pees out so she can reabsorb it from the drip tray.

@Emilya would cry her eyes out :laugh::rofl:

Are you doing that with cloth pots? I'd really like to water in 17 secs one day ha

Hey everyone! Been delayed with some life shit the past few days. Trying to handle things the best I can and often, that means putting the phone down, medicate, and clear things from my mind.

How many hours of Sun does it get where you live? Sunrise here is at 5:30..
Hey Scott! At the moment, I'm getting first light around 6 with actual sun hitting most of my plants or the greenhouse around 7.

I believe the slow transition is what caused them to flower. I was trying to copy something I saw online last year. I really need to find the article. Needless to say that I may try it again next year, but only with a couple plants. Not every single plant! Dumb mistake but still a worthwhile experience. Because some did not react the same as the others. So there is something to it, but likely not at the rate I was dropping their light hours.
What do you think was the stressor that caused the nanners?
I have no idea. Everything has been stable in the tent in regard to temps and humidity. I don't buy in completely with pin hole light leaks causing problems like this either. I can understand an abundance of bright light and letting it happen consistently, could lead to issues like this though. I have been very careful with never opening the tent after lights out too. Thankfully my tent is mostly shaded from my garage lights too so it sits in a dark*ish corner on purpose.
You'll find out soon enough! I'd say she's not going to like it. :)
She's doing great right now. Pest pressure is a problem already. She has a strong aroma. She'll be getting a few BT treatments before it's all said and done. Also, I'm spraying the ground and the container with a strong peppermint essential oil and soap spray.
And my second humble opinion is that the plants adapt to the environment.
Absolutely! 100% agree. There are different root types and the plant will put out "water" roots in the presence of sitting water. Completely different processing from feeder roots in the upper sections of the root ball. They are normally tertiary roots off the mains such as tap roots or arterial root branches.

That is why, I am also not completely sold on fabric pots requiring and air gap. I still do it, but my runoff is a combination of nutrients and organic matter that could benefit the plant. Not an abundance of salts. Granted, stagnant runoff is never a good thing.

My next iteration of my tent grow is going to include a 4x4 drainage tray so that I can easily bottom water or wash away runoff as needed.

Nothing wrong with that if it works for you.
@Emilya would cry her eyes out :laugh::rofl:
I utilize the concepts that I read from her watering how-to post. I start in the perimeter of the pots and let that soak down. I always get immediate spilling out the sides of the fabric pots because of how quickly the sides become hydrophobic. So I usually water in stages to have a thorough drench and try to reduce dry pockets (which quick watering will do BTW @Trala ;)). I started using a battery powered backpack sprayer. It has a variable volume controller but I nor keep it at its lowest volume setting to purposely slow me down.

Thanks everyone for chiming in. Some quick photo updates incoming. Blessings.

Some updates from the past few days.
6/2 - Shared drench of 4 gallons with SNS209 at 8mL/gal - all to runoff

6/3 - No water added

6/4 - Ooof! :confused: I was not able to get to the plants yesterday morning. Didn't even open the tent. They are definitely drinking a lot right now! These pics were taken in the afternoon about an hour before lights out. They all shared 3 gallons with SNS209 at 8mL/gal again as a preventative treatment. No signs of bugs!
I was getting transparent runoff from the smaller 5 gallon pots. I decided to remove their stands and let them soak up the runoff.

6/5 - They look happier after their drench. I gave the smaller 5 gallon fabric pots approx 1/2 gallon each. Minimal runoff but the sides were already dried quite a bit and hydrophobic.

I also added another support to the Queen of Soul in the 7gal self-wateringpot. Her top cola is getting heavy! The smells coming from the tent are amazing. Have a wonderful day folks. Thanks again for peaking in. Peace!

6/4 - Ooof! :confused: I was not able to get to the plants yesterday morning. Didn't even open the tent. They are definitely drinking a lot right now! These pics were taken in the afternoon about an hour before lights out. They all shared 3 gallons with SNS209 at 8mL/gal again as a preventative treatment. No signs of bugs!
I was getting transparent runoff from the smaller 5 gallon pots. I decided to remove their stands and let them soak up the runoff.
They were kinda wilted there. But take it as a ’drought stress test’. Chances are high the dryness just strengthen the plant and roots. :thumb:

They were kinda wilted there. But take it as a ’drought stress test’. Chances are high the dryness just strengthen the plant and roots. :thumb:
I agree! I walked into the tent and said, "oh shit! I guess that was too long of day huh girls?!" I wasn't at all stressed about it though. They needed a proper dry back to help reset my brain on their moisture levels. I believe my drenches are lacking again because they want more water right now. I am increasing the frequency to twice per day. Instead of increasing volume right now, I'd rather keep them as stress free for as long as possible. I will most likely be droughting at least two of these plants. I'm not sure my brain and heart are ready for that stress.

I'll be getting updated pics later when I give them another drink.

This...
full

...should be in the lesson plan for bending plants that are threatening to outgrow the height! :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom