Beateo's Winter 2015 Multi-Strain Indoor CFL Grow in Soil

You're doing amazing things under CFL. I bet when you upgrade to LEDs or HPS, you knock it out of the park. Your ladies will love you for it.

Major, Thank you. I'm really hoping to come up with enough $$ before this one goes to flower. I did ok with all CFL my first grow and I'm VERY happy with the results... but... whatever is going on at this website is contagious... I want better, better, better!! lol
Seriously I think I can get bigger nugs with a lighting upgrade? I've held back on buying HPS/MH because I haven't found a place that lists footprints. They depend, I would imagine, on how high you set the light but that is also an unknown to me... need to find the info. and then decide.

You're doing amazing things under CFL. I bet when you upgrade to LEDs or HPS, you knock it out of the park. Your ladies will love you for it.

<snip> ... I've held back on buying HPS/MH because I haven't found a place that lists footprints. They depend, I would imagine, on how high you set the light but that is also an unknown to me... need to find the info. and then decide.

Yeah, reflector and height make all the difference. How big an area would you like to cover? It looks like your current setup is about 4' x 3' (??).
I have a 600 HPS that currently sits about 48" off the ground and about 22" from the top of the tallest plant. It saturates my mini-grow area of just under 3' x 3'. In my limited experience, I think it could cover 4' x 6' really well (they throw more light to the sides of the bulb than the ends of the bulb). I'm using one of the cheap Apollo bulbs rated at 86,000 lumens which gives me over 11,000 lumens per square foot (in theory). With mylar on all walls it is BLINDINGLY BRIGHT.
Dunno if that helps with your decision any...

Major, I'd be covering an actual minimum area of 2" X 3'.. plus the one extra unknown strain that's sitting on the floor... the "base" I'm using to sit my 5 gal. buckets on is 2 X 3 and it's simply an old pallet. 6 buckets fit perfectly on the pallet. If I get all this HPS stuff figured out I may even get a few sheets of plywood and 2X4s and build a grow area inside the room. I would like to be able to veg & flower at the same time. I'll look into the Apollo. I did put the final sheet of mylar on the wall this morning so I have that corner covered.... also thinking about making a false cardboard wall that I can put up and take down or swing out of the way.... either would work... cover it with mylar and have all four sides reflecting... it's just an idea.
My new motto..... "one harvest does not an expert make". LOL.. I've still got SO MUCH to learn!
:Namaste:

Yeah, reflector and height make all the difference. How big an area would you like to cover? It looks like your current setup is about 4' x 3' (??).
I have a 600 HPS that currently sits about 48" off the ground and about 22" from the top of the tallest plant. It saturates my mini-grow area of just under 3' x 3'. In my limited experience, I think it could cover 4' x 6' really well (they throw more light to the sides of the bulb than the ends of the bulb). I'm using one of the cheap Apollo bulbs rated at 86,000 lumens which gives me over 11,000 lumens per square foot (in theory). With mylar on all walls it is BLINDINGLY BRIGHT.
Dunno if that helps with your decision any...

I got my HPS setup for under $200, including shipping, with a spare bulb. It had the best hood they offer (with 6" cooling tube), timer, hangers, digital ballast for MH and HPS, restart delay upon power outage (happens pretty often here in Happy Valley). So far, so good.

Hey Beateo,

Looking good so far man. What kind of nutes will you be using this run? Also, on your search for lighting; I got a good deal from marshydro on an older version 300w led and I am happy with it. Runs cool, super easy just plug and run, no need for a ballast and what not. For me the less parts the better and I wanted to stay on a tight budget, but I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you get.

Major, I did find a great new equipment shop less than 20 miles from my house! I visited with and talked to the owner this afternoon and not only was he a hell of a nice guy, he seemed to know everything about how to grow cannabis. I have a lot more to look at but he showed me a LED & HPS setups that cover the footprint I'm going to need... the LED (can't remember the wattage) was about $160 and a 600 Watt HPS with one bulb and what is supposedly the "best" hood, was $205. I'm having difficulty believing there isn't a catch to the HPS price??
I got my HPS setup for under $200, including shipping, with a spare bulb. It had the best hood they offer (with 6" cooling tube), timer, hangers, digital ballast for MH and HPS, restart delay upon power outage (happens pretty often here in Happy Valley). So far, so good.

Thank you Mr. Dreamz! Back at ya brother!
Happy SkunkDaze Beateo and followers:):tokin:

LabMan, Thanks. I have Jack's Classic but I'm not sure... this new shop I found sells tons of different types of nutes. I'll check out that dealer.. thanks for that info brother!
Hey Beateo,
Looking good so far man. What kind of nutes will you be using this run? Also, on your search for lighting; I got a good deal from marshydro on an older version 300w led and I am happy with it. Runs cool, super easy just plug and run, no need for a ballast and what not. For me the less parts the better and I wanted to stay on a tight budget, but I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you get.

The $205 for an HPS setup sounds believable. Very cool you found a new local resource.

The catch is with the LED m8 .. there are no decent LED's at that price you named, for a footprint comparable to an HPS, as far as I know.

HPS can be had quite cheap .. LED should be insanely expensive, unless you build it yourself, which is what I am debating... parts is around the same as a HPS .. and I do not mind learning a bit or two :p

Happy Daze Beateo:).......i just went and had a look at mars hydro sight.....i have the mars 700......it will effectively cover about a 3 x 3 area.....sorry i cant remember your area sizze but i was thinking right around that.....it is about $290 total........draws right at 320 watts from the wall..........i used it over one plant and got about 5 oz off the one but i know with some better training i could have done better....:).....i dont know what your end game is but to get your feet wet that is a good way to go.....the mars performs very well......i think there are better led that are more effective out there, but you are going to pay a hefty price for one of them.....lol...i know:)lol......but like i said to get your feet wet......even the mars 400 which i also have i was pulling about 4 oz per plant......and it only draws right at 187 watts from the wall per my killowatt meter.....and i believe it is under 200 or right there......point being a 600 watt hps is gonna pull in the neighbor hood of 640 watts from the wall as opposed to 187 or 320......and right there at the same initial price.....without having to replace hps bulbs every 6 months i think.....i am not speaking from experience with hps.....only what i have read, but the mars products i have used and have no doubt that they grow great sticky mmj:)......the higher priced leds......normally will have better diodes in usage.....you have to be careful with that.....some say they use top bin but who knows:)......if your not trying to become a dealer which i hope none of us are and it is primarily foor your own stash then most of what i have read from converts from hps to led is that you might not get the same weight as you do with hps but the quality, taste, resin build up, and Electrical savings are all worth it:)....of course there are still those that swear by hps and i dont have any dog in that fight except what i have read from growers that have made the switch.....anyway....the point was to point out that foer the money your looking to spend.......check out mars hydro.......i am going to be switching to advanced led for my flower room minus the light bars i have which are bml horticulture......as i am really impressed with the advanced i have used for this last run, but once again it is an investment......i am glad i started with mars hydro......it was an inexpensive way to get into led:)......ok....sorry about the long post......just wanted you to have this info.....and if you have it already then disregard last transmission:rofl:......have a great day my friend:)......oh and if you want a hands on experience with hps vs led.....talk to skunnymonster.....he grew with hps for years and has completely converted to led now....with the exception of a floourecsent i think:)

Major,
COOL!! I was thinking that price was really low... if it's for real, I might have to lean in that direction. $200 area is do-able before flower.
Thanks brother.

I agree with PJ. That price for that LED setup sounds fishy. But since I found my setup for under $200 with two bulbs, timer, etc, the $205 from a local shop is right about what I'd expect. Best of luck with your grow and light upgrade!

PlanetJ,
My bad. I seem to get more and more of these "senior moments" lately. It WASN'T an LED... it was T5 tubes. 4' long and 5 tubes in the hood. It was NOT one of those shop lights I almost got at Wallyworld. lol The shop guy told me it gets about 6" more to each side than the width of the width of the hood... giving 2' X 4" (actually a little more than 4') footprint. This would be perfect size but I'm leaning toward either the HPS/MH or... now an LED setup. I don't know why I always confuse LED and T5??
The catch is with the LED m8 .. there are no decent LED's at that price you named, for a footprint comparable to an HPS, as far as I know.
HPS can be had quite cheap .. LED should be insanely expensive, unless you build it yourself, which is what I am debating... parts is around the same as a HPS .. and I do not mind learning a bit or two :p

Green Dreamz,
Those are something I will be asking about and looking at. The coverage I need is minimum 2' X 3' but 4 feet long would be even better.
Thanks for checking all that out brother! I will likely contact the Skunny man! :) Post length was just perfect.. you have a great day too brother!
Happy Daze Beateo:).......i just went and had a look at mars hydro sight.....i have the mars 700......it will effectively cover about a 3 x 3 area.....sorry i cant remember your area sizze but i was thinking right around that.....it is about $290 total........draws right at 320 watts from the wall..........i used it over one plant and got about 5 oz off the one but i know with some better training i could have done better....:).....i dont know what your end game is but to get your feet wet that is a good way to go.....the mars performs very well......i think there are better led that are more effective out there, but you are going to pay a hefty price for one of them.....lol...i know:)lol......but like i said to get your feet wet......even the mars 400 which i also have i was pulling about 4 oz per plant......and it only draws right at 187 watts from the wall per my killowatt meter.....and i believe it is under 200 or right there......point being a 600 watt hps is gonna pull in the neighbor hood of 640 watts from the wall as opposed to 187 or 320......and right there at the same initial price.....without having to replace hps bulbs every 6 months i think.....i am not speaking from experience with hps.....only what i have read, but the mars products i have used and have no doubt that they grow great sticky mmj:)......the higher priced leds......normally will have better diodes in usage.....you have to be careful with that.....some say they use top bin but who knows:)......if your not trying to become a dealer which i hope none of us are and it is primarily foor your own stash then most of what i have read from converts from hps to led is that you might not get the same weight as you do with hps but the quality, taste, resin build up, and Electrical savings are all worth it:)....of course there are still those that swear by hps and i dont have any dog in that fight except what i have read from growers that have made the switch.....anyway....the point was to point out that foer the money your looking to spend.......check out mars hydro.......i am going to be switching to advanced led for my flower room minus the light bars i have which are bml horticulture......as i am really impressed with the advanced i have used for this last run, but once again it is an investment......i am glad i started with mars hydro......it was an inexpensive way to get into led:)......ok....sorry about the long post......just wanted you to have this info.....and if you have it already then disregard last transmission:rofl:......have a great day my friend:)......oh and if you want a hands on experience with hps vs led.....talk to skunnymonster.....he grew with hps for years and has completely converted to led now....with the exception of a floourecsent i think:)

Major PITA, Yeah... sorry about that to you too bro! Brain farts seem to be my primary use of bodily gases lately.
Thanks for the info... probably going to be a tough choice when the time comes.
I agree with PJ. That price for that LED setup sounds fishy. But since I found my setup for under $200 with two bulbs, timer, etc, the $205 from a local shop is right about what I'd expect. Best of luck with your grow and light upgrade!

GD... didn't see that either... that's funny as hell. :)
:rofl:....i just seen this:)....lol...lmao:rofl:

I'm calling this Day 4 of Veg. My girls were transplanted into their permanent pots on Feb 6.
These plant photos are already labelled:
DSCN21415.JPG

DSCN21434.JPG

DSCN21466.JPG

DSCN21476.JPG

And trying to show the lighting set as it normally is:

DSCN21495.JPG

DSCN21486.JPG

Thanks for looking.
Any observations, criticisms, kudos, advice, key to the meaning of life... all appreciated. :)

So cute when they are babies! :laughtwo:
Everything looks nice and clean. I've never used CFLs. The little tikes must be OK so close to the bulbs. Go Beateo!

They are ADORABLE! They HAVE to be that close or they'll stretch like crazy. I honestly don't see how CFLs can be beat for very early growth like the point my girls are at.... but... I intend to upgrade before flowering. I am totally thrilled with my 1st harvest but I know it can be better with better lighting.
So cute when they are babies! :laughtwo:
Everything looks nice and clean. I've never used CFLs. The little tikes must be OK so close to the bulbs. Go Beateo!

Thank you. I can't take too much credit for the light design... I partially copied a similar setup in the DIY area. :)
Looking great m8. I love that lightfixture of yours, smart thinking there :)

Thanks Stealth! I'm rooting for her too. The Amnesia & AK-49 are new strains for me. The Skunk & Haze are the same as last grow.
Looking good, I'm still rooting for the Amnesia!

Back
Top Bottom