CaptainLucky's Purple Mystic Cubensis Grow 2023

Hello! I'll pull a wee chair up, if you don't mind?
Happy to help with any questions, too! I'm thinking of cracking back into growing some cubes as the wild mushroom season here in Scotland has been pretty poor this year
I’m thinking 🤔 about using a rubbermaid tote since it’s ez to keep sterile. But I was wondering if I should use my mini humidifier? Is clear better than colored? Should I ventilate the tote? CL🍀. :thumb: :cheesygrinsmiley:

I’m thinking 🤔 about using a rubbermaid tote since it’s ez to keep sterile. But I was wondering if I should use my mini humidifier? Is clear better than colored? Should I ventilate the tote? CL🍀. :thumb: :cheesygrinsmiley:

So what's your grand plan? Are you cultivating some mycelium and then spawning to bulk?

If so then yes, you should drill some large holes in that tub to promote fresh air exchange. You'll get fuzzy mushrooms if you allow the air to get stagnant.

A humidifier might be overkill if you're just doing the one tub. You should look online and purchase a salon quality hair mister, they're great for keeping the humidity up in your tubs. Just spray the side of the tub until there are droplets on the side. The benefit of the salon water bottle comes from the fine mist that it creates when you spray it. Its gentle enough to be sprayed directly onto the mycelium.

Or are you just using the tote to keep the rice packets inside?

So what's your grand plan? Are you cultivating some mycelium and then spawning to bulk?

If so then yes, you should drill some large holes in that tub to promote fresh air exchange. You'll get fuzzy mushrooms if you allow the air to get stagnant.

A humidifier might be overkill if you're just doing the one tub. You should look online and purchase a salon quality hair mister, they're great for keeping the humidity up in your tubs. Just spray the side of the tub until there are droplets on the side. The benefit of the salon water bottle comes from the fine mist that it creates when you spray it. Its gentle enough to be sprayed directly onto the mycelium.

Or are you just using the tote to keep the rice packets inside?
The video shows just inoculating rice with spores and breaking it up when mycelium starts growing. What else am I missing? CL🍀. :thanks:

Assuming you've already got a solid plan for keeping things clean and sterile, you need to think about what comes after inoculation and colonisation of the rice!

After your packets are full of nice healthy mycelium, what is your plan?

Assuming you've already got a solid plan for keeping things clean and sterile, you need to think about what comes after inoculation and colonisation of the rice!

After your packets are full of nice healthy mycelium, what is your plan?
The video shows misting and airing the openings you cut into the bag. That’s where the Cubensis is supposed to get growing from. CL🍀

The video shows misting and airing the openings you cut into the bag. That’s where the Cubensis is supposed to get growing from. CL🍀

That's interesting! I can honestly say I haven't heard of that for cubensis, sounds more like oyster mushrooms!

However, you will definitely get better results with a bulk spawn. It's pretty simple, just a bit of work. You'd firstly need to make a substrate for your mushies to grow in, using coco, vermiculite, and some gypsum powder (I can give you more details on this if you want). Then your break your beautiful wee blocks of mycelium up and spread it evenly amongst the substrate in your tub. Then you seal that bad boy up and wait a few weeks for the mycelium to cover the top of your substrate. When. Its good to go, you start introducing fresh air, moisture, and any amount of light to induce the fruiting

That's interesting! I can honestly say I haven't heard of that for cubensis, sounds more like oyster mushrooms!

However, you will definitely get better results with a bulk spawn. It's pretty simple, just a bit of work. You'd firstly need to make a substrate for your mushies to grow in, using coco, vermiculite, and some gypsum powder (I can give you more details on this if you want). Then your break your beautiful wee blocks of mycelium up and spread it evenly amongst the substrate in your tub. Then you seal that bad boy up and wait a few weeks for the mycelium to cover the top of your substrate. When. Its good to go, you start introducing fresh air, moisture, and any amount of light to induce the fruiting
I’m going to go with the video. It seems pretty simple and I don’t want to invest much time n money in this project. CL🍀. :thanks:

I’m going to go with the video. It seems pretty simple and I don’t want to invest much time n money in this project. CL🍀. :thanks:

No worries, bud! Good luck with it, I'm very interested in your methods!

Good morning all

This is the method I have been using to grow golden teachers. I started with spore prints and got the mycelium going on agar plates. I then transferred the mycelium from the agar to grain spawn. I make my own grain spawn from rye berries utilizing quart mason jars and a pressure cooker. Once I got the spawn jars going I just keep the process going by doing simple grain to grain transfers in a still air box. I keep my agar plates in the refrigerator just in case my grain jars go bad due to contamination. When the grain jars become fully colonized I mix up a batch of substrate using coco coir, vermiculite and gypsum. Test for field capacity and mix with the fully colonized grain spawn. I use small plastic shoe box totes......that way if contamination occurs, I do not lose the whole monotub. I let that cook for about 10 to 14 days so the substrate gets fully colonized. Then I introduce fruiting conditions.

If anyone is interested PM me and I can direct you to the videos on this method above.

Journal Update: think 💭 I’m gonna use 3 separate totes. The thinking 🤔 being that maybe if one’s contaminated the other ones will be safe. I don’t know if this will work better but it seems logical. CL🍀. :thumb: :cheesygrinsmiley:

Could you DM me with the videos that you are watching?

I've seen a lot of different ways of growing cubensis and I can't tell what your plan is from your messages on here!

Could you DM me with the videos that you are watching?

I've seen a lot of different ways of growing cubensis and I can't tell what your plan is from your messages on here!
There’s a lot of videos on u tube and I prolly have watched half of them. But it’s ez to find. CL🍀

There’s a lot of videos on u tube and I prolly have watched half of them. But it’s ez to find. CL🍀

Specifics, my man! We need specifics haha!

So far all I know is you're inoculating rice in sachets and want to buy a tub :laughtwo:

Back
Top Bottom