CascadianDank's Redemption

On the subject of worms....my whole front yard this year is FULL of worm castings. Piles and piles of black castings from red worms. Was thinking maybe I should collect the castings? If I do, how do I store them for use? I am going to try to build a wormbox, because when I put some lime down on my lawn I'm thinking the worm problem will disappear. Whaddyathink? Maybe I shouldn't be asking this on your thread cascadian?
Good grow going! And thanks for the video KingJohnC.:)

On the subject of worms....my whole front yard this year is FULL of worm castings. Piles and piles of black castings from red worms. Was thinking maybe I should collect the castings? If I do, how do I store them for use? I am going to try to build a wormbox, because when I put some lime down on my lawn I'm thinking the worm problem will disappear. Whaddyathink? Maybe I shouldn't be asking this on your thread cascadian?

Thank You and you can ask any question ya want here I just may not have the answer you need lol.

You have an awesome problem there. I would say make a bin like in the video KJC posted, theyre cheap and easy. Then collect some worms from the yard. It takes alot though. I ordered mine from Uncle Jims.

As far as storing I dont know, Havent got to that point yet really and mine was mixed with my soil I had mixed for my plants. I just took the bottom half of the bin and dumped it into my compost bin cuz I had nowhere else to put it at the moment.

You buy worm castings in bags at the grow shops so I guess if you can dry them out you could just bag them or use a bucket but I dont know what would happen if they were wet and sealed up maybe nothing. I would gather it up though and if you have extra soil mix it in there and/or use it to top dress your plants you have going.

From what I understand you cant over do it with castings but if you have too high of a percentage in your mix it can cause a muddy mess.

Today I fed the Ladies of the Garden their first taste of Bloom nutes other than the top dressing which was 3 weeks ago. I did this because I saw some yellow leaves on a couple of the plants and figured it wouldnt hurt.

They all have baby buds now and the Paranormal Thing?? even has some frost on the leaves which didnt show in my Macro shot but I can see it if I zoom in on the original pic in the photo viewer.
Any one recognize this thing cuz its startin to look cool, it has Pink in the buds which dont show in the pic either but the leaf veins and stems have the same color. This is the plant I saved and I was just told it was called Paranormal somethin or other

OK heres some Outdoor pics startin with their first cuppa

DSCF7562.JPG

TD and PT??
DSCF7563.JPG
DSCF7564.JPG

DSCF7565.JPG
-

GSC1
DSCF7566.JPG

DSCF7567.JPG

MW
DSCF7568.JPG
DSCF7569.JPG

GC
DSCF7570.JPG
DSCF7571.JPG

SD
DSCF7572.JPG
DSCF7573.JPG

GSC2
DSCF7574.JPG
DSCF7575.JPG

BD2
DSCF7576.JPG
DSCF7577.JPG

BD1
DSCF7578.JPG

DSCF7579.JPG

The little BD2 damn near caught up to the other one there is only a couple inches difference but BD1 is definitely bulkier.
DSCF7580.JPG
DSCF7581.JPG

Group Shots
DSCF7582.JPG
DSCF7583.JPG
DSCF7584.JPG

EDIT** I guess you can see some frostiness in the pic

I need to top and clone the Indoor BDs cuz theyre gettin big now and Im not ready to flip them yet.
I fed some CalMag+ to them the last couple times I watered but other than that no nutes yet inside. The BDS are in pots with about half Super Soil in the bottoms and the leaves are starting to claw under so Im wondering if its from the Super Soil and still being in veg. They were lookin yellow and to me like a Mag. def. which is why I added the Cal/Mag+ and that seems to have cleared up now but they started the clawing now and only the Super Soil plants are doin it. Other than that they are growing great and are in need of a trim.

Any thoughts Shottafire??

Heres some pics of the tent
DSCF7585.JPG
DSCF7586.JPG
DSCF7587.JPG

I took a pic of a couple leaves but it was too blurry to see anything but these 2 of one of the leaves shows it a little.
DSCF7589.JPG
DSCF7590.JPG

Heres some closet pics
DSCF7591.JPG

Newest member of the gang which is either PK or SS
DSCF7592.JPG

2 seedlings that are either PK or SS
DSCF7593.JPG

2 PC seedlings I brought back inside
DSCF7594.JPG

So in an attempt to gather some new followers I thought I would do a night time update and show what happened today.

I went a little bat shit crazy on the BDs in the tent. They needed topping for clones and I did a massive defol on them all.
I dont know if you would call it fimming or not but I snipped the top growth off flat across on some of the branches and also on the clones so well see what happens. I just thought I would experiment a little and I needed to halt growth a bit til I get my damn flower room built so figured this might help. After the trim I moved all the smaller plants from the outer edges to the center and placed the BDs around the outside of them.

Heres some before and after pics of a couple plants and the tent. The first Pic of the cloner is just to give a reference to their size
DSCF7599.JPG
DSCF7597.JPG
DSCF7608.JPG
DSCF7605.JPG
DSCF7604.JPG
DSCF7624.JPG
DSCF7626.JPG
DSCF7627.JPG

This was the top off the tallest of the plants
DSCF7603.JPG

Heres a pic of the cuts I mentioned above that I did on some clones and branches followed by one of the bottom of a clone to show how I do them I just cut the angle and lightly scrape the outer layer of stem off before placing in the cloner.
DSCF7617.JPG
DSCF7601.JPG

Heres a couple to show just how much choppin I did
DSCF7619.JPG
DSCF7620.JPG

Here is the closet tonight and the 3 clones that I brought in from outside which will be transplanted now that roots are comin thru the drain holes. Then I think they will go back outside and possibly left to go to seed if they will Ill ask around on that and see what I need to do so I can make some BD seeds and hold onto her while I do some other strains.
DSCF7621.JPG
DSCF7622.JPG
DSCF7623.JPG
DSCF7618.JPG

These 2 are just a couple branches I yanked off BD1 outside. I had bent and broke them about 2 months ago and they turned back up and looked fine til recently so I just yanked em
DSCF7595.JPG
DSCF7596.JPG

Very nice update. Your plants are looking very nice. I couldn't really see any issue with the plant on the box. Maybe it was just a little yellowish? I noticed you take a lot of leaves off when you clone. And also the tips of the new growth. Is there a reason for this? Does it allow the plant to focus on roots instead of using stored energy in the stem of supporting leaves w/o the roots there?

awesome plants, and nice bin! Ive noticed that my plant show their true structure after the stretch is over.

I only have a compost bin, with grass, leaves, manure and some myco added. would getting some worms really help out?
The compost works area amazing. They make way way better soil than just composting. You can use the castings and also collect the juice that drains from the bottom of the bin. Sometimes you will get baby worms in the juice and they end up in plants. I have a few random plants that were in very poor shape, and then all of the sudden took off. I later realized they had plenty of live composting worms in their containers.

If you put down a piece of cardboard on the lawn and put a few scraps under and wet it down, they will come to the surface. They especially love mellon and horse manure. If you make a bin be sure to make one that catches the juice. I am using coco coir and egg cartons for my medium with great results. I also mix coco coir into their food. I mix their food in a blender then add the coco and some sand for grit. I keep the extra food in the fridge with a tupperware that has a little air hole on the top. It does not rot this way. It also adds more volume because of the coir. There is a guy on Youtube named rob bob who I learned the most from.

Thanks Rain.

The leaf pics I posted cuz the pics of the plants with the curling down leaves didnt turn out they were too blurry. Look at the tips though you can kinda see where they are curling under. The plants are growing fine and look good so Im not too worried about it, was just wonderin if it had to do with the Super Soil since its a bloom mix and IM vegging longer than planned. I cant find it right this min so Ill post once I do but I read that too much P in veg can cause this. The yellowing I mentioned before I attributed to a mag. def. but now that Im looking again it looks more like Zinc but either way I just added Cal/Mag+ to their last 2 waterings and it seems to be all good now. The problem I find with the sick plant threads on here is that they dont have enough pics and my issues never look exactly like the pics in them. They are all growing good though so I have to think theyre happy with what Im doin.

Now for the clones that was something I just tried this time. Usually Ill just cut the fans back like everyone else does but I wanted to see what would happen if I snipped the growing tips off the branches of the plant rather than just topping them. Will it act as a fim and possibly produce more tops or just grow back normally?? I dont know but we shall see in the near future. I did it to the clones for the same reason, curiosity.

So I went out to the garden and was gonna pluck the couple yellowing leaves I saw and noticed something on the leaf that I think is Thrips. I didnt figure I would make it through without something goin wrong.

Heres what I saw
DSCF7655.JPG
DSCF7659.JPG
DSCF7660.JPG

I noticed a while back some of the leaves had those spots but I didnt see anything on the leaves even when using a microscope. I just looked at these with the scope and they look like little grasshoppers to me.

Im gonna look thru the SNS product list and go buy whatever I need tomorrow. I have the 217 spray but it just says Spider Mites so I dont know if that will work or not.

Thanks KJC and yep thats what they look like.

Last night I got a lengthy message from The Outdoor King JTG assuring me that Mother Nature would take care of my girls and keep them safe. I have the Spiders, Wasps and Bees around my plants that will feed on and remove these little sumbitches rather than spraying them with anything which I dont like to do at all especially now that they are budding. My plants look great and all I can see wrong is they want some food so I have some bubblin as I type that brewed over night and I will feed in a couple hrs. I will keep an eye out for now and let Mother Nature do work.

For anyone who may not know who JTG is I urge you to have a look thru the following links.

This Year's Outdoor 2012 Garden Diary - By JTG & My Wife

This Year's Outdoor 2013 Garden Diary - By JTG And Wife!

Obviously last years journal is done but have a look thru the last few pages at what kind of massive bushes he grows Ive never seen such a thing and the harvest, Holy Shit I can only dream of one comparable.

Aphids, mealybugs, mites, scale insects, and thrips are what ladybugs [Coccinellidae family] eat. They may supplement that diet with fruits and vegetables such as grapes, as in the case of Asian or Japanese ladybird beetles [Harmonia axyridis]. Or they rarely may be non carnivorous, as in the case of the mildew eating lady beetle [Psyllobora vigintimaculata].
Note: Ladybugs (US) are ladybirds (UK).

looks like they do. would it be worth getting some though or would they just fly away since Im outdoors and not in a greenhouse??

From what I read they stick around if food.

Plus they cheap. I just got 4500 for $27 bucks and that was a rip off at local small grow store. But cant use pesticides if you get them, but I doubt you want to do that at stage your plants in anyhow cause get that crap on buds.

Depends on your funds, but if not tight on cash I would get some. Plus they good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom