Closet DWC Blackberry Nov. 15th 2010

Good advice, if you look at my pics the roots are all jumbled at the bottom of the system in a big ball. Even worse than these pics
rsz_100_3115.jpg
rsz_100_3114.jpg

Is it really possible to keep them separate throughout the whole cycle? This system has 8 sites, theres no way that many roots would even fit in a 10 gal container, I'm glad Im down to 2 girls for space reasons.

I will have to update once the male is executed.

Hydro...I don't claim to be an expert here, so maybe some others can chime in, but I've done a lot of research on hydro since I'm just getting into it myself. Most people recommend you plan on about 5 gallons of res per plant. You can get away with less but in flower, I understand a single plant can drink up to a gallon per day, so unless you want to be topping off the res every day, or more, IMHO I would not flower more than two at a time in the 10 gallon res.

Yepp, and I learned that after purchasing but once again I'm glad to have my two girls left and they should be happy once that huge plant stops stealing their light! I bet its roots are taking up half the res anyway. Any clones will go to the 5 gal buckets after some root prep or into 3 gal smart pots.

I've identified a phosphorus deficiency by this Plant Abuse Chart. The leaves turn pale green and have black spots, mostly near the bottom but also into the middle. Leafs fall of with a poke. Also looks like my mg might be getting locked out by all the calcium in my 200 ppm tap water. leafs are curling at the tips and developing red spots near the end. My bloom nutes should help the phosphorus, and I will start adding epsom salts for the mg to reduce lockout.

No one ever said education was free! My own learning curve has cost me a fair amount, too. And, I actually built a DIY system very similar to yours, but then found advantages to putting each plant in it's own container but will still use the system as a cloner.

First advantage is the roots don't get tangled, as you've noticed. This is not just important for seperating males, but if for any reason one of the plants die, it's vitually impossible to untangle the roots and sooner or later you'll get root rot and other res issues from the stuff that's decaying.

Next advantage is the ability to "fine-tune" the nutes to each plant. Some can take a higher PPM than others, etc., especially with different strains. The nuting can be individualized when they're in their own containers (unless they're sharing a res, which makes it more difficult).

FYI...this is what ultimately drove my decision to go with the Waterfarms. The bubble buckets should accomplish the same thing.

Sounds like you have a good plan to deal with your nute issues and the roots I saw in those pictures really look nice & healthy. :goodjob:

Best wishes for a healthy harvest!

Update!

Weekly res change done this time without the male!
PPM 1100, end of week 2 flower, ph 5.6 adding epsom salts to help with mg lockout and running full flower nutes
Still have a consistent drop of 15 degrees F b/t day and night so hopefully this will persist and turn my leaves or buds purple
The roots are looking okay so far after their haircut, the girls now looking much better and getting much more light and air circulation. Switched to HPS, will install the cool tube and superlumens it up once my guy at the store gets my tjlernlund in with its exhaust controller =) Figuring out a way to dehumidify, looking at these awesome pingi bags thanks to bassplayer's sweet as cabinet setup, they look so cool and won't effect my power usage. I would buy an electric one but I am the proud owner of a reverse osmosis system. Can't wait to see how these babies do with the pure water.:surf:
Still building the clone/ mother cab and the cloner for the cab. I have a three speed pc fan to cut a hole for and need to secure lights, pics soon of that.
As for now heres the roots from my big boy
100_3154.jpg

And the girls ready to adjust to having personal space.
100_31551.jpg

big change from
100_31511.jpg

Oh well life goes on. attempting to clone the top of my healthy female, might clone more later this week but thought I shouldn't stress the plant to much this early in flower. I will most likely not prune anymore and just use the clone for more clones later.
My last cloning attempt went 50%, the half I culled had bumps but were wilted badly on top and the growth tips died off.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. The plants are starting to smell quite nicely, its faint but its there=)
:peacetwo:

:) looks good !!
hey i see u use some epsom salt and my ladies got a serious problem of magnesium defenci i will add some epsom salt in my nute but idk the good ratio per L
maybe u can help me !! ty in advence !!

I got a bag from walmart it said 1 tsp per gallon for large plants, 1/2 strength for small and medium plants. Better to add maybe 3 1/2 to 4 tsp in a 5 gal so you dont overdo it but I'm still experimenting, good luck. If your problems get worse there is a thread on pests, diseases and problems in the grow room with lots of smart people hanging out.

My provider of medication was robbed at gunpoint the other day, and is considering exiting the business. What nerve people have, too lazy/stupid to grow it themselves, too immature to show respect to those who honestly go about the business. Can't wait to have my own meds. I have no room to complain though, I just think back to others who have had it worse, and on that note we should all keep OMM in our prayers for the mayhem he has been dealing with (repeated robberies), even if you don't know him personally (which I don't), you can see from his journals he is a kind and a very helping person.

Update coming soon. Not much change in the flowering tent, the roots are probably still recovering, I did do a haircut the other day as well. I hope everyones doing good, smoke some for me, I'll be "out of stock" most likely until harvest. I have some prescribed pills for my back until then, but we all know they barely work compared to mother natures green pain relief. ;):smokin:
:peace: HG

Hey Hydro, sorry to hear about your provider. It really does blow. Hopefully we can get this thing legalized for all soon, so we can take the criminal element away.
Sounds like the girls are doing great. Nice job on the root trim.

I heard that my friend. Thank you for your compliments, you are too kind. Once I get my buds they're gonna need an army to take em' from this stoner (said while swinging cane in the air)!
:Namaste: Vape

I noticed something on ebay that seemed rather interesting, they are called gamma bucket lids? They fit 5 gal buckets(among others) and lids that are supposedly make regular buckets 12 inch in diameter airtight and it is food safe, able to lock in moisture and all, they even come in black. Would I be able to cure a whole harvest in one 5 gal bucket with one of these? Or better yet, how would it turn out? This is their brochure Gamma Seal Brochure I couldn't find anything about them besides a store description. Just another stoned late-night find tehe

Hello Hydrogrown, I have just finished reading your journal and i'm subscribed from here on out. If you'll have me of course. Cant wait to watch both of our blackberry's flower at the same time. :) Sorry about the damn male, but off with his head and we learn to move on. As far as the Robbers double barrell pulled out just once in front of a man usually is a good way to keep it off their minds. And if that doesnt keep it off their minds the shell will. ;) I say when you catch em you mark em, Quick slice on the forehead and everyone that see's it knows to not deal with em anymore. Would be much simpler that way. :focus: Keep up the good work in the greenery brother. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom