CoffeeShopSeeds Sponsored Grow: Emmie’s Huge 1 Month Interval Constant Harvest

Today is the 10th day since planting the seeds, and so far, nothing is showing. I totally hate this part of the grow. Maybe the mistake was putting them 1 inch down... I am so bad at this starting stage. I will continue to wait a few more days. I have really taken care to warm up the cups, but all I am doing is drying out the soil faster. Grrr I say... Grrrr.
Omg me too!

My last Wedding Cake was a no show.

I’m glad the Top Shelf growers have trouble too! I was really starting to think I’m seed cursed!

Today is the 10th day since planting the seeds, and so far, nothing is showing. I totally hate this part of the grow. Maybe the mistake was putting them 1 inch down... I am so bad at this starting stage. I will continue to wait a few more days. I have really taken care to warm up the cups, but all I am doing is drying out the soil faster. Grrr I say... Grrrr.

I'm still in shock that you said you suck at something....

:laugh::rofl::laugh::rofl::laugh::rofl::laugh::rofl:

Omg me too!

My last Wedding Cake was a no show.

I’m glad the Top Shelf growers have trouble too! I was really starting to think I’m seed cursed!

Like Jon and Trala, it gives me hope that you struggle at some aspect of growing, too, like the rest of us. The seed stage is hard for a lot of us and the fact that you struggle at it, too, makes me feel better somehow.

The other thing I wanted to say is that this is one of the main issues I've had with starting a perpetual grow. When I'm trying to germinate seeds, I'll have 2 germinate and 2 not and then I have to start 2 more and then they're a couple of weeks behind and the schedule is messed up.

Last evening I went up to check on my 5 beer cups, fully expecting to find small plants pushing up above the surface. What I found was the answer to the mystery as to what has been happening, and the start of a new problem that needs to be solved.

I hope you can tell from these pictures what happened in the last 24 hours. I left the cups after a pretty good watering and I know there was some water weight in the cups. The surface was flat and smooth, not at all like what I found last night... something had been digging! Some critter got in here, got up on top of 4/5 cups, and dug several holes in the soil all around the cup, presumably looking for my young plant or the seed!

20220228_152755.jpg
20220228_152817.jpg
20220228_152847.jpg

Is this something a young mouse might do? I have never seen this happen before, so I need to confirm with some of you... have you ever seen mice steal and eat seeds and/or seedlings? I am going to war against these critters and will have something more appropriate for them to chew on very soon... something that will kill them. The dogs are no longer allowed upstairs, so this should not be an issue... the seedling munching critters need to die.

So am assuming this seed run to be a total loss for me and a small snack for my unwelcome visitor. I am going to relocate seed starting central downstairs again, around the aquarium, where there is high humidity and hopefully no attic mice. I had a special request from a patient, so we are going to start a flock of photo regular White Widow seeds... some of my oldest seeds in my collection. Let's see if we can get 3 or 4 of these to show female and get our veg rooms moving.

Considering that 2 of the plants in bloom are longer running sativas, we still haven't hurt the timing of the perpetual harvest garden yet. This time I am going to use @Jon 's seed starting method since he seems to have good success, and because this time I want to keep a pretty good eye on the old seeds. Time's 'a wastin, and it is time to get going with some new plants asap!

Is this something a young mouse might do? I have never seen this happen before, so I need to confirm with some of you... have you ever seen mice steal and eat seeds and/or seedlings?
Totally. I had a mouse chew thru a plastic bucket to get to some bird seed I had stored. And I think @StoneOtter had an issue with small plants he was starting in his basement.

Those little bastards won't quit and they multiply very quickly. Get your battle gear on and... Go get 'em!

Last evening I went up to check on my 5 beer cups, fully expecting to find small plants pushing up above the surface. What I found was the answer to the mystery as to what has been happening, and the start of a new problem that needs to be solved.

I hope you can tell from these pictures what happened in the last 24 hours. I left the cups after a pretty good watering and I know there was some water weight in the cups. The surface was flat and smooth, not at all like what I found last night... something had been digging! Some critter got in here, got up on top of 4/5 cups, and dug several holes in the soil all around the cup, presumably looking for my young plant or the seed!

20220228_152755.jpg
20220228_152817.jpg
20220228_152847.jpg

Is this something a young mouse might do? I have never seen this happen before, so I need to confirm with some of you... have you ever seen mice steal and eat seeds and/or seedlings? I am going to war against these critters and will have something more appropriate for them to chew on very soon... something that will kill them. The dogs are no longer allowed upstairs, so this should not be an issue... the seedling munching critters need to die.

So am assuming this seed run to be a total loss for me and a small snack for my unwelcome visitor. I am going to relocate seed starting central downstairs again, around the aquarium, where there is high humidity and hopefully no attic mice. I had a special request from a patient, so we are going to start a flock of photo regular White Widow seeds... some of my oldest seeds in my collection. Let's see if we can get 3 or 4 of these to show female and get our veg rooms moving.

Considering that 2 of the plants in bloom are longer running sativas, we still haven't hurt the timing of the perpetual harvest garden yet. This time I am going to use @Jon 's seed starting method since he seems to have good success, and because this time I want to keep a pretty good eye on the old seeds. Time's 'a wastin, and it is time to get going with some new plants asap!
Yes. This has happened to me. Mystery plants disappear with nothing left but a shredded baby stalk/stem. I assume seedlings you would never tell. My plants were around 3-4 weeks when I experienced the problem.

Mouse traps. That’s what I did.

Before, I had grow tents, which by design helped keep these types of critters out. Now in my open rooms, I have critters. I knew growing in dedicated rooms in my attic would come with new problems, but wow. i would think that there are only a few more surprises that the house and mother nature can hit me with, and soon with all my chew blocks for mice, sprays, floor sealings... I am bound to get ahead of this.

20220228_152755.jpg
20220228_152817.jpg
20220228_152847.jpg

Had mice eat seeds from my stash in the closet back in 70s. Just the seeds

Yes. This has happened to me. Mystery plants disappear with nothing left but a shredded baby stalk/stem. I assume seedlings you would never tell. My plants were around 3-4 weeks when I experienced the problem.

Yep, the seedling sprobably came up in the first 5 or 6 days...

Very sorry to hear about the mice getting to your beans.

Mouse traps placed in small boxes---shoe boxes are perfect just cut two or three holes in them.
Using the boxes make(s) for nice clean-up, they are more aesthetic, and eliminate decaying mice in structures.

The downside to traps is setting them, which bodes poorly for fingers.

Make sure the traps are baited (just need a tiny bit on the traps) the little bastards can't resist almond butter, but peanut butter will do---assuming nobody in the household is allergic to it.

Sprays are nice to deter mice, though placing traps in ceilings are most effective too.

Finally placing rodenticide around the exterior is detrimental for total rodent elimination.

It seems only obvious to be cautious of pets and miniature humans, but there are dozens of incidents by licensed professionals every year.

Sorry about the rant on killing these things it is the exterminator in me coming out

I've not had a problem with rodents at home but I worked at a rural National Park and we had mice get into things especially in the winter. Snap traps with peanut butter worked the best. Mice like to travel against the walls so place the traps against the wall. If you can locate holes that they may be using, plug them with steel wool, for some reason they won't chew it out.
Side story. I would smoke joints in our screened in porch and leave a 1/4-1/2 joint in the ashtray for later. Sometimes I return the next day and my partial joint was gone. It's just me and the wife and she doesn't partake. So after investigation I found the partial joints with little holes and tears along it's length. Culprit: Camel Cricket was stealing them to eat I guess.

I've not had a problem with rodents at home but I worked at a rural National Park and we had mice get into things especially in the winter. Snap traps with peanut butter worked the best. Mice like to travel against the walls so place the traps against the wall. If you can locate holes that they may be using, plug them with steel wool, for some reason they won't chew it out.
Side story. I would smoke joints in our screened in porch and leave a 1/4-1/2 joint in the ashtray for later. Sometimes I return the next day and my partial joint was gone. It's just me and the wife and she doesn't partake. So after investigation I found the partial joints with little holes and tears along it's length. Culprit: Camel Cricket was stealing them to eat I guess.
That would drive me crazy if I knew my half joints were disappearing. I can only imagine the various scenarios you considered! :rofl: My first reaction here was it was a bug that did the deed... but then I thought about the size of the bug that would have been required and I instantly changed my thoughts to mice. Somehow that is better than a big bug that can move mountains of soil. We will deal with this promptly, and for now, I am going to start my seeds elsewhere.

That would drive me crazy if I knew my half joints were disappearing. I can only imagine the various scenarios you considered! :rofl: My first reaction here was it was a bug that did the deed... but then I thought about the size of the bug that would have been required and I instantly changed my thoughts to mice. Somehow that is better than a big bug that can move mountains of soil. We will deal with this promptly, and for now, I am going to start my seeds elsewhere.
Could be a dung beetle. :rofl:

Before, I had grow tents, which by design helped keep these types of critters out. Now in my open rooms, I have critters. I knew growing in dedicated rooms in my attic would come with new problems, but wow. i would think that there are only a few more surprises that the house and mother nature can hit me with, and soon with all my chew blocks for mice, sprays, floor sealings... I am bound to get ahead of this.
Stupid mice. Don't know that stuff won't even get them high.

I put pvc over the trap and it forces the mouse in the tube. And the bar has no other place but the neck for a humane kill shot every time. Sounds funky my re reading. But I’ll post a pic if I can. It’s def not my idea.

Mice, probably
Can also be chipmunks
Or squirrels
Could get a rodent control to check your roof and attic, they’ll filmholes and pu bait out
ok, that settles it. I am setting up a motion detect camera. squirrels and chipmunks? Egads. I guess all this would explain the large snakeskin we found up there when we moved in. That's all I need actually... a couple of large snakes.

ok, that settles it. I am setting up a motion detect camera. squirrels and chipmunks? Egads. I guess all this would explain the large snakeskin we found up there when we moved in. That's all I need actually... a couple of large snakes.
If a mouse or mice have been hanging out there, you should find their droppings. They crap a lot. If you don't know what they look like do a google search. Little bitty pellets, about the size of a pencil lead tip.

Back
Top Bottom