Colombian Gold Grow: Come Learn With Me How To Produce Your Own Seeds!

I'm hoping that the Gorilla Glue #4 plant I am reversing increases it's pollen production. I've been able to harvest a small bit, enough to dust a few small buds. But I'm hoping for a whole lot more then what I've gotten so far. We shall see how that goes.

The plant (Purple Punch) I began treating with colloidal silver on 6/15 is starting to chomp at the bit to get turned loose in the flowering tent. The plant she will be replacing is my Chem 91 X Cherry Aliendawg which is tentatively slated to be harvested on 6/25. I am pretty sure she will be ready to come down at that time. That will put her at 64 days post flip which is one more day then her mom flowered.

Here is a quick pic of the Purple Punch plant. She was up-potted back on the 10th of June. She has reached the light in my homemade vegging box but I'm trying not to have to snap any of her limbs over if I can help it.

Wow! That is impressive. Fingers-crossed for more pollen from your GG soon!

Highya Beez,

Your purple punch looks ready flip. She's loaded with new shoots. Probably could benefit from the lumens in your flower room as well. Good luck with more pollen! Cheers

Hey @beez0404. Was hoping that you and some others who have some experience reversing an auto can give me some advice. Maybe @Chris Scorpio @Pennywise or anyone else can chime in. This is my DDA. Today is DAY 18 above the ground. Pistils! Darn. No, I am happy for pistils, but bummed they showed up so early. This was the plant I wanted to reverse with CS or STS. As you can see, I don't have much length on any one branch to work with yet. I was hoping that I had about a week to let her grow out some.

Now that pistils have started already, have I lost my window to try reversing a branch?

The thing is to pay attention when an auto goes into flower so you can time the spray. might Be a waste of your spray at this point. Maybe @beez0404 can chime in on this one.

Ya. :( I thought I had to hit it with spray before pistils started, so I think the train left the station without me. 18 days caught me off guard, and not really any branch long enough to spray anyhow. Was targeting Day 25 to apply.

Looks like it might be the "dreaded green" pheno of DDA, and I was hoping for one of the purple/black ones. Unless someone says otherwise, I'll probably just grow this one out normally for bud.

Thinking I might wait and try reversing a photoperiod in the future, which will give me more control over when to apply prior to flip. Learning!

I’ve grown the green pheno and found it more potent than the purple.

Thanks Penny. I think @Chris Scorpio said the same thing in one of his journals. I was looking for the purple pheno to reverse and use seeds for future crosses. In particular, was thinking about a DDA x Fruity Pebbles. I *think* the purple gene is dominant, so must have got a double recessive on this one, or else colour just hasn't shown yet.

Will still be some nice materials - I understand the flavour is quite nice.

@The Bard I'm not positive but you may have set the all-time record for the quickest a DDA showed pistils. Does the plant have side branches yet? Did you top it? How big is your pot? Gosh, that's really quick to start flowering!!

With regard to your very fast DDA you might get lucky and see some pollen sacks if you started now. But I personally would wait and use your CS or STS on another plant.

I can share my "system" with regard to reversing a plant be it photo or auto. It is the exactly the same for both type of plants with one small difference. I like to start applying the colloidal silver (I brush it on and do not spray it on) to my selected branch 10 days prior to the plant beginning flowering. For photo sensitive plants you're in complete control. You decide when to put her into the flowering tent under whatever lighting schedule you run. So I just pick the date I want to start her in the flowering tent and count back 10 days and that's when I start applying the CS to the selected branch. Be sure to put some sort of indicator on the branch being treated so you can spot it easily. I use white or fluorescent colored pipe cleaners for this job.

So the photo sensitive plants are pretty easy. The auto-flowering strains, not as cut and dry. If I am growing an auto strain for the first time I try to do research and try to get an average amount of days before the strain starts to show pistils. We can use the DDA for example. I think if you were to ask that question in the Dark Devil thread and added all the answers up and divided by the number of replies you would come out in the area of about 28 days. So for me if I were trying to reverse a DDA I would start applying the colloidal silver on about day 18......WAIT! WHAT??? 18 Days??

But now if I am growing an auto strain and can't find good, reliable information on how long before they start flowering I use 30 days as my reference point and go with that. So with most autos I start applying the CS on day 20. If I have multiple seeds of an auto strain I will grow one out as my test subject. I look for A) how long till she shows pistils. B) How does the plant grow out? Tall, short, bushy, long or short node spacing etc. C) How is the quality of the finished flowers? Is it a strain I even want to reverse for more seeds? If it's a good (doesn't have to be great) producer of top quality buds then yes I want more seeds of that strain. Here is the perfect example of what I'm babbling about. I was gifted (3) three seeds of this strain....Sour Diesel Haze Auto. I am currently growing the first seed out and taking notes about the grow. When I harvest her I will know how many days before she showed pistils. I'll know how much and how often to feed her. I'll know better how to grow/train the plant to maximize yield......these types of things. Then it all depends upon the quality of the finished and cured buds. If they're great all that info is useful. Here is a photo of the above mentioned plant taken just today. She is very close I suspect to being finished stretching which surprises me a little with the Haze in her genes. I've pollinated two buds on her with pollen from a top grade Gorilla Glue #4 plant so hopefully I'll harvest a dozen or so seeds off of her.

@The Bard I'm not positive but you may have set the all-time record for the quickest a DDA showed pistils. Does the plant have side branches yet? Did you top it? How big is your pot? Gosh, that's really quick to start flowering!!

With regard to your very fast DDA you might get lucky and see some pollen sacks if you started now. But I personally would wait and use your CS or STS on another plant.

I can share my "system" with regard to reversing a plant be it photo or auto. It is the exactly the same for both type of plants with one small difference. I like to start applying the colloidal silver (I brush it on and do not spray it on) to my selected branch 10 days prior to the plant beginning flowering. For photo sensitive plants you're in complete control. You decide when to put her into the flowering tent under whatever lighting schedule you run. So I just pick the date I want to start her in the flowering tent and count back 10 days and that's when I start applying the CS to the selected branch. Be sure to put some sort of indicator on the branch being treated so you can spot it easily. I use white or fluorescent colored pipe cleaners for this job.

So the photo sensitive plants are pretty easy. The auto-flowering strains, not as cut and dry. If I am growing an auto strain for the first time I try to do research and try to get an average amount of days before the strain starts to show pistils. We can use the DDA for example. I think if you were to ask that question in the Dark Devil thread and added all the answers up and divided by the number of replies you would come out in the area of about 28 days. So for me if I were trying to reverse a DDA I would start applying the colloidal silver on about day 18......WAIT! WHAT??? 18 Days??

But now if I am growing an auto strain and can't find good, reliable information on how long before they start flowering I use 30 days as my reference point and go with that. So with most autos I start applying the CS on day 20. If I have multiple seeds of an auto strain I will grow one out as my test subject. I look for A) how long till she shows pistils. B) How does the plant grow out? Tall, short, bushy, long or short node spacing etc. C) How is the quality of the finished flowers? Is it a strain I even want to reverse for more seeds? If it's a good (doesn't have to be great) producer of top quality buds then yes I want more seeds of that strain. Here is the perfect example of what I'm babbling about. I was gifted (3) three seeds of this strain....Sour Diesel Haze Auto. I am currently growing the first seed out and taking notes about the grow. When I harvest her I will how many days before she showed pistils. I'll know how much and how often to feed her. I'll know better how to grow/train the plant to maximize yield......these types of things. Then it all depends upon the quality of the finished and cured buds. If they're great all that info is useful. Here is a photo of the above mentioned plant taken just today. She is very close I suspect to being finished stretching which surprises me a little with the Haze in her genes. I've pollinated two buds on her with pollen from a top grade Gorilla Glue #4 plant so hopefully I'll harvest a dozen or so seeds off of her.

Thanks @beez0404. Yes! I read this entire journal, and so I saw your technique in great deal - awesome resource. I think you had helped me with the Day 25 target for DDA. Lucky me, I beat that by a week. Ha!

In answer to your questions, I am growing in 100% perlite/hempy. No branches yet to work with. So I think I will just grow this out regular, and save my solutions for another attempt at it.

Geez, I didn't want this one to be so fast! Maybe what I will do is grow out the Fruity Pepples (fem/photo) and reverse it, and then use the pollen on the DDA.

Thanks again.

I've had very good success pollinating the DDA strain to make seeds. I crossed the DDA with Colombian Gold and Northern Lights and both produced very nice plants.

I think it was your write up in this journal that got me excited about DDA crosses, along with @Chris Scorpio's. Hopefully I'll get there on a future attempt. The good news is that I have a happy, healthy plant growing as fast as hell!

I have read (not sure I buy it entirely) that with auto-flowering plant that when the taproot reaches the bottom of the container in which it is growing it will start to flower. In an effort to delay when their autos start flowering I have seen some growers come up with all sorts of tall, skinny containers. Might be something to look into if you'll be growing more autos.

I have read (not sure I buy it entirely) that with auto-flowering plant that when the taproot reaches the bottom of the container in which it is growing it will start to flower. In an effort to delay when their autos start flowering I have seen some growers come up with all sorts of tall, skinny containers. Might be something to look into if you'll be growing more autos.

Maybe. I am growing in a two gallon hempy bucket, so not really deep by any means. However, @Pennywise shared on another thread (can't find it right now) some work that another member did... maybe @InTheShed... showing that root bound/root confinement didn't seem to drive flowering. I *think* it is solely driven by time, not light time or container size. But hell, I have a plant with pistils on Day 18 so what do I know? :)

That whole taproot hits bottom = flowering has been around for a while and truly is not a thing. Autos go into flower when they're ready regardless of where the taproot is. I've had ones that flowered long before the tap hit the bottom, and I've seen autos rootbound in solo cups that haven't gone into flower.

If it's not consistent, it's not a thing!

I was just gifted a few DDA seeds and may drop one this weekend (because I have so much room). It will be outside from day one, so we'll see how it goes!

That whole taproot hits bottom = flowering has been around for a while and truly is not a thing. Autos go into flower when they're ready regardless of where the taproot is. I've had ones that flowered long before the tap hit the bottom, and I've seen autos rootbound in solo cups that haven't gone into flower.

If it's not consistent, it's not a thing!

I was just gifted a few DDA seeds and may drop one this weekend (because I have so much room). It will be outside from day one, so we'll see how it goes!

Thanks Shed! Good luck with your DDA. Hope you get a purple one!

Don't write your DDA off as being a green pheno just yet. As I recall I think I would start seeing the purple starting 3-5 weeks after the plant started flowering. I'll be very curious to see how tall your DDA gets and how big.

Don't write your DDA off as being a green pheno just yet. As I recall I think I would start seeing the purple starting 3-5 weeks after the plant started flowering. I'll be very curious to see how tall your DDA gets and how big.

That sounds promising, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom