Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

I seem to be running into the same issue with mid/lower leaves fading, turning yellow from the tips in on nearly every grow. See photo. Looking for some advice as to what might be going on.

Backstory: First run soil. 1 gal. pots. Three strains - Purple Satellite, Panama and Harlequin CBD. Day 27 from seed. Under 660W actual LED, 18/6. Day temps 78-82, Hum. 55-65% Both lower at night. Not every plant is showing this but most are. I'm feeding each strain separately (nute strength) per the breeder.

Researching the issue leads me to either a N or Mg deficincy. However, on a previous grow with the same looking issue, Doc recommended up canning them as they looked "root bound". I did and they improved quickly. I pulled a plant today and there are a lot of roots circling etc., but I've had em thicker. Also, there are a few plants that appear to have "stalled" - growth slowed down.

I was hoping to go another 10 days or so before transplanting. The PS are getting a soaking, double drench every three days. The others every four. I'm following the feeding chart cycle, foliars, etc..

Not all leaves have the brown spots (nute burn?) you'll see in the attached pic. Most just show the fade-to-yellow in the leaf lobes. PS - the purple stem is "normal" for the Purple Satellite.

Any advice will be appreciated.

IMG_1500.jpg

Well I think I ordered 10 Blue Dream seeds and 10 Bergman Gold leaf. So that is what my first grow will be next spring in all the different soils including High Brix Recipe and amendments etc. from their kit,,,, Oly Mountain ,,,, Coots Mix , Fox Farm Ocean Forest and Happy Frog mixed , and some of Super Cools super soil. I am Looking forward to next spring already. I might have to feed the Fox Farm mix but I think I should be good with only using the amendments in the other soils , The amendments that go with each soil ie. I will only use the High Brix kit on the soil recipe they recommended and only with it. I will do the same with the Coots mix etc.

I seem to be running into the same issue with mid/lower leaves fading, turning yellow from the tips in on nearly every grow. See photo. Looking for some advice as to what might be going on.

Backstory: First run soil. 1 gal. pots. Three strains - Purple Satellite, Panama and Harlequin CBD. Day 27 from seed. Under 660W actual LED, 18/6. Day temps 78-82, Hum. 55-65% Both lower at night. Not every plant is showing this but most are. I'm feeding each strain separately (nute strength) per the breeder.

Researching the issue leads me to either a N or Mg deficincy. However, on a previous grow with the same looking issue, Doc recommended up canning them as they looked "root bound". I did and they improved quickly. I pulled a plant today and there are a lot of roots circling etc., but I've had em thicker. Also, there are a few plants that appear to have "stalled" - growth slowed down.

I was hoping to go another 10 days or so before transplanting. The PS are getting a soaking, double drench every three days. The others every four. I'm following the feeding chart cycle, foliars, etc..

Not all leaves have the brown spots (nute burn?) you'll see in the attached pic. Most just show the fade-to-yellow in the leaf lobes. PS - the purple stem is "normal" for the Purple Satellite.

double drench every three days ?

Are you actually DUNKING ? or just top water .

What do you all think about these plants? First up is the furthest along (mostly indica) and I would like to do the CAT drenches all at the same time if I can swing it.

Sunset Sherbert full plant and close up.

The rest of the plants more like 50/50 indica/sativa

Update
Dark Devil auto day 40
The nodes have finally started to alternate so I'm expecting things to take off in stretch here very soon.
She got watered to runoff with transplant drench and tea last night and a foliar spray with de-stress this evening about an hour prior to these pics. Looking happy and praying to the SP-250
One larger fan at the bottom looking unhappy but just one leaf so far.

20190903_224935.jpg

20190903_224944.jpg

M.O.B auto is on day 13 and still itty bitty. Really moving slowly hopefully it will get it together here and start growing.

20190903_224951.jpg

20190903_224956.jpg

IMG_1500.jpg

Every plant, every cycle?

The only thing that can do that is the environment. Assuming your temps, rH are good and you're not on a cold slab.....what about lighting? LED's?

Gavita's that need the bulb changed?

Wet feet could also do it.

What do you all think about these plants? First up is the furthest along (mostly indica) and I would like to do the CAT drenches all at the same time if I can swing it.

Sunset Sherbert full plant and close up.

The rest of the plants more like 50/50 indica/sativa

You're ready! Cat Drench off the starboard bow.....

Dunking. sitting in a bucket of drench for five minutes per Doc's method.

OK.....that's not exactly my method AND I think we solved your problem!

My method is double strength, bucket, and DUNK UNTIL THERE ARE NO MORE BUBBLES. THIS USUALLY TAKES ANYWHERE FROM 30 SECONDS TO TWO MINUTES MAX.

You're drowning the roots, which is why you're having trouble! Prune 'em back and only dunk till there's no bubbles and make sure they're good and dry before dunking again.

My method is double strength, bucket, and DUNK UNTIL THERE ARE NO MORE BUBBLES. THIS USUALLY TAKES ANYWHERE FROM 30 SECONDS TO TWO MINUTES MAX.

You're drowning the roots, which is why you're having trouble! Prune 'em back and only dunk till there's no bubbles and make sure they're good and dry before dunking again.

Interesting I dont remember reading the DUNK till bubbles stop info (not a surprise I miss a lot).
I may need to adjust my dunking process as I dunk for 10 min. but make sure
all water has COMPLETELY stopped dripping after.

No issues on my plants but good to know I may be OVER WATERING during the dunk

THANKS

EDIT: even after a 10 min dunk I only get 4 to 5 cups to stay in a 1 gal pot
I start with 12 cups and end up with 7 to 8 cups left over. I adjust the Kit product amounts
according to how much is actually being added in those 4 to 5 cups

Left is a GUAWI 46 days from POP 1 gal pot -----------------------------Right is a PURPLE HAZE MALAWI 51 days from pop
BOTH getting dunked every other day DRINKING 18 to 20 oz each a day

1567620929706.png

Interesting I dont remember reading the DUNK till bubbles stop info (not a surprise I miss a lot).
I may need to adjust my dunking process as I dunk for 10 min. but make sure
all water has COMPLETELY stopped dripping after.

No issues on my plants but good to know I may be OVER WATERING during the dunk

THANKS

EDIT: even after a 10 min dunk I only get 4 to 5 cups to stay in a 1 gal pot
I start with 12 cups and end up with 7 to 8 cups left over. I adjust the Kit product amounts
according to how much is actually being added in those 4 to 5 cups

Left is a GUAWI 46 days from POP 1 gal pot -----------------------------Right is a PURPLE HAZE MALAWI 51 days from pop
BOTH getting dunked every other day DRINKING 18 to 20 oz each a day

1567620929706.png

Once the medium is saturated.....IE no more bubbles.....there's no point in keeping them submerged. Draining them is also VERY important as you mentioned.

There's video of this on IG and on my website: I can't link to either per forum rules.

5 minutes.....That's the max.....and will only apply to large containers that are very dry. But if the roots are getting submerged for 5 minutes every day there's gonna be trouble!

Cannabis doesn't like wet feet.

Every plant, every cycle?

The only thing that can do that is the environment. Assuming your temps, rH are good and you're not on a cold slab.....what about lighting? LED's?

Gavita's that need the bulb changed?

Wet feet could also do it.
Assumptions correct. Using LEDs - Dorm Grow and Fluence.

I never water/feed when they’re wet. I can control RH pretty good. Temp is a little iffy, but not by much.

I’ll answer your replies from below here:
I’ve always believed the dunking was for 5 minutes. I looked back at your 2014 instructions and found the "five minute" reference. I did edit them heavily to meet my needs so I may have erroneously added the "5 minutes" reference.

Honestly, I have no recollection of the "until the bubbles stop". I can not find any reference to this in the most current instructions. And, sorry, but I don’t do Instagram, so I haven’t seen your video example.

FWIW, the yellowing is always in the latter stages of vegging. It clears up in flowering. I have upcanned to 7s and left them in veg for a week or two and they’ve recovered and taken off. I can see how I may be drowning the roots. BTW current new growth is vigorous, has a good color, etc.

I will take your advice and back off on the dunking time. As always, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom