Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

The fan, at least the inline fan is rated by cubic ft per min, cu ft/ min..
From what ive read, you want equal or more than your volume of air being moved out per min, or the ability to do so.
I have a tent 4x4x7
So that volume is 112cu ft/ min
I got an inline fan to pull 150 cu ft/ min

so my tent is 2'x4'x5' that makes it 40 cu ft
the 4" fan im seeing is a 100 cfm
since thats more the twice the volume of my tent would just ducting be enough at the bottom for an intake or will there still be a vacuum created and suck the tent in.

Most rooms and tents are not airtight. I had to put a heater in the tent at night. I bought a digital space heater set for 72F goes in at night, heater goes on when my lights go off. I will have greater contrl of my environment after fan is installed :)
I will be getting another Platinum, not sure if 450 or next size up(600?) for my new tent after some of my money lent to my Uncle, Uncle Sam, gets returned of course no interest for money held for almost a year...thank you Uncle..76)5$;!;()',t

Lol, at least your getting yours back, he wants more from me!

" thank you Uncle..76)5$;!;()',t" by Ziggy :rofl::rofl:

so my tent is 2'x4'x5' that makes it 40 cu ft
the 4" fan im seeing is a 100 cfm
since thats more the twice the volume of my tent would just ducting be enough at the bottom for an intake will there still be a vacuum created and suck the tent in.

I believe so.. Also, not sure how others feel about this, putting a fan on variable speed controller will be able to control strength of pull and suction.. And rate of venting

If your worried about the vacuum, double the size of the intake ducting compared to the exhaust fan so 4" fan run an 8" intake with no restrictions on it. If you add a hepa filter to your intake you will have vacuum issues unless you run pretty much the same size intake fan as exhaust. I have intake filters so I use wooded dowels around the same height as my canopy to keep the tent walls where they should be and off of my plants instead of an intake fan, does the same job and less fans to run:thumb:

Be careful if you buy speed controllers there are all kinds of compatibility issues, make sure the controller will work with the fan you have / buy before you buy them.

Edit here is a picture of what im talking about, they run from one corner to the other on all walls close to the plants except the front one, I still need to be able to get in and out...

DSC_4468_125DSC_4468_sm.JPG

Thanks for all the input everyone, so i think i've pretty much got a good idea of what i gotta do. Im goin to get the 4" 100 cfm fan for the exhaust and run that from the top out the window and run some larger intake ducting in through a bottom port and just wrap it around the back of the tent. Hopefully that will fix this problem.

I thought a little negative pressure is a good thing, meaning the exhaust fan/vent is a little larger than the intake side. No?

I thought a little negative pressure is a good thing, meaning the exhaust fan/vent is a little larger than the intake side. No?

It is especially if you're worried about smell control but you also have to balance it somehow when using a tent or you loose a lot of grow space to the walls getting sucked in.

The fan, at least the inline fan is rated by cubic ft per min, cu ft/ min..
From what ive read, you want equal or more than your volume of air being moved out per min, or the ability to do so.
I have a tent 4x4x7
So that volume is 112cu ft/ min
I got an inline fan to pull 150 cu ft/ min

You want to take your cubic feet of the tent and multiply it by the #of air changes you want per hour, minimum of 5 then divide that by 60 minutes to get the cfm of the fan. That small of an area will actually take a pretty small fan.

I'm in my 50's, raised 5 children all grown and gone except for my last who's a senior in high school. My wife was in the school system for many years as a teacher, then later as a reading tutor. She had an affinity for that and could get even the most difficult students to take an active role. We raised our kids to ask questions, think freely and do what you "feel" is the right thing in most cases. My wife got into the school system BECAUSE she was unhappy with it, not because she wanted her tenure and free benefits.

I read a paper 2 years ago that did a study that showed over 80% of our teachers in the public school system came from the bottom 10% of universities across the country. I didn't realize our kids' education was mostly an excuse for a safety net for borderline illiterate, unqualified teachers. My youngest was home schooled until middle school age too.

My mom was/is a 60's hippy. She raised me freestyle...lol. Not always best in others' minds, but I am who I am because of it.

It seems there are more here like me than I originally thought. :cool:

This was the way we homeschooled ours. We call it "unschooling". It made people uncomfortable, and I embellished the documentation to make it look more conventional, but they learned more than their peers and they are strong, independent and self-motivated. Your wife is to be commended. A good teacher who stays in a broken system for the love of the children is worth her weight in gold.

I was also raised "freestyle" in some ways, although without any trace of hippie. LOL. We did crazy stuff like sailing across oceans on small boats which included all kinds of geography lessons, celestial navigation and meteorology. So for relatively short periods of time we were "homeschooled" at sea with the classroom being the night sky, water temp, weather, etc.

Was also encouraged---forced at first---to play classical piano, read Greek mythology and ancient history. All of this happened at home, not at school mostly.

Overall, we had an acute, pointed, and direct education about living life to the fullest and freedom. None of this included drugs of any kind, except my Dad's scotch, which at the time tasted like something I'd use to strip varnish. Somehow, we could all read at a post-highschool level at around 4th grade and that and all the classical word roots from the mythology made "real" school quite easy.

Thankfully, back then compliance took a back seat to competence and we were graded on our tests, not our ability to turn in homework and goofy projects.

Imagine the poor teacher trying to tell the kids about the solar system and some smart-ass starts talking about about celestial north pole and how the declination of Polaris can determine precise latitude in the Northern Hemisphere, and along with Meridian Transit of the sun and a simple reference to the back of the nautical almanac could tell us where we are!

So, basically, if our kids are independent, can take care of themselves and those they love and work in a "job" that they feel passionate about, we've done our job as parents.

On the other hand, the school system wants to churn out people who:

Don't mind being watched
Are happy coming and going when the bell rings
Don't mind living on the weekends and slowly dying during the week.

That's a recipe for a dullard, if you ask me. Cannabis, if nothing else, allows us to start dreaming about living again....and life is for the living, is it not?

Humorous story I know you'll enjoy: As homeschoolers we were required to file papers and meet with the superintendent each year to gain the right to homeschool. One year I took our daughter along with me. We were standing in the hall when the bell rang for class change and she watched incredulously as all the students filed by, in her words, "like lab rats". She couldn't believe that you could get that many children to be so compliant. I believe she was eight at the time and I remember thinking "That's my girl".

Spectacular plants Doc. I'm intrigued by the darker leaves. Enticing. I really want to grow a darker strain someday.

I've always been a non-conformist kind of gal. When I got my degree in Elem. Ed/Early Childhood I knew I wouldn't ever fit into the public school system. I also knew I didn't want my children in the school system. So we homeschooled. I wanted to raise free citizens who lived by the rhythm of the days, slept until they woke, learned while they played, lived as an active member of their community. It distressed me how our children are all ensconced in schools when they should be up, out, doing, learning. More than that, I wanted them to speak their minds and follow their passions and learn to be self-managed. That doesn't happen often in our schools. Our current educational system exists so that corporations can take advantage of the parents and their children will be well trained as drones to continue to follow the corporate line.

The utter destruction of our society caused by this mindset is appalling. Men of money and power have misused their resources to turn us against each other, and the educational system that demands absolute compliance and conformity feeds into that. Small businesses are the best employers, and yet our society rewards the corporate mindset that crushes small businesses.

I'd hope that someday in the future we could learn to restructure our communities to bring jobs closer to where people actually live and eliminate commutes. I dream of a day when we look for the passion in each child and then direct that child to a program geared to explore that passion and make it a livelihood. How much richer we'd be if people spent their days doing work they were passionate about with the freedom to spend more time with their loved ones instead of mindless, poorly paid jobs hours from home and family. I know, just too much hope.

Sounds more like Unschooling to me, kids learn naturally as long as you don't kill their curiosity :)

Back
Top Bottom