DocBud - New Room - Super Soil - Etc

Re: DocBud - New Room - Super Soil - Etc.

Doc,

The new room looks killer...I'm sure the product will be as well.

I have a question about a product called the Earthbox.

Earthbox.com is the site and Science Behind the EarthBox | EarthBox will give you a cut-a-way of the product.

Basically it's 29 L x 14 W x 11 H and it employ's a simple wicking/vascular watering system as you can see in the second link. I have one know but I only grow a mixed salad greens in it...but the results are amazing...The size of the letuce mix is insane compared to others I have growing and have grown in the past. It will hold an entire 2 cubic ft bag of medium and a 3 gallon res!

I had to suspend my grow's due to contruction in my home. (didn't trust anyone) But when I start up again in a couple of months I wanted to give this a try. I can fit 2 of them easily in my tent.

I think I could easily get 2 plants per EB as they hold something like 12 gallons of soil/perilte.

I was thinking of trying one out Hempy style with straight perilite and the other with a soiless mix like Gold Label lite. Both would have OC+ and a bloom booster like my last couple of grows.

It truely falls under the K.I.S.S philosophy.

Any thoughts of comments on it?

Thanks Doc....As soon as construction finishes in our house and I get the NEW and imporved grow room up, I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes.

I have a bunch of Sannie's seeds (jack berry, sannies jack, killing fields, herijuana and so on) that I can't wait to sprout. I stopped growing in April thinking that I wouldn't have enough time to finish another round before construction started....little did I know it was going to be delayed 3 months....It's crazy how much I miss the plants and I can't wait to get started up again.

peace and harvests...

Doc,

Sorry I forgot to ask this when I posted yesterday, but do you ever reduce from 12 to 10 or 8 hrs of light?

Reason I ask is the Tudes description of the DP White Widow says to reduce to 8 hrs the last two weeks.

It also says or turn the lights off altogether the last two weeks. I am wondering if thats a misprint

doc, u ARE gonna love that super soil. an outdoor grower in my area grows in raised beds & follows sub-cool's recipe to a T, or should i say P. he was explaining that he made his tea's from molasses, water, HIS OWN URINE, & something else, dunno, my brain went into lockdown mode, 'cause i've smoked his product on numerous occasions. now, i guess, i'm a "pee-pot" smoker....w/out my knowledge, i might add! he does grow hellacious plants, but pee......?

Doc,

Sorry I forgot to ask this when I posted yesterday, but do you ever reduce from 12 to 10 or 8 hrs of light?

Reason I ask is the Tudes description of the DP White Widow says to reduce to 8 hrs the last two weeks.

It also says or turn the lights off altogether the last two weeks. I am wondering if thats a misprint

I just put some male plants in the dark for nearly a week. They looked fine. I have no idea if it's a good idea or not. Reducing the light would make sense if the strain is accustomed to high latitudes where the days become very, very short. But, honestly, I really don't know what, if any, advantage there would be to letting it grow under normal lighting.

doc, u ARE gonna love that super soil. an outdoor grower in my area grows in raised beds & follows sub-cool's recipe to a T, or should i say P. he was explaining that he made his tea's from molasses, water, HIS OWN URINE, & something else, dunno, my brain went into lockdown mode, 'cause i've smoked his product on numerous occasions. now, i guess, i'm a "pee-pot" smoker....w/out my knowledge, i might add! he does grow hellacious plants, but pee......?

Many commercial fertilizers have urea in them....probably cow piss.
I don't piss in my plants....but many gardeners do.....not just pot gardeners either.

As for the soil.....I am really liking it so far.

Rooms are nearly done.....I've to to hook up and wire two fans tomorrow. I have a few plants in there now. Gonna pop seeds and get the show on the road tomorrow!

This is by far the best grow room I've ever had or seen in person. I have access to all four sides of the trays, perfect climate control, clean and reliable. I have more than enough electrical.....I could add 4000 watts and still be OK....but it's not needed.

Doc,

the reason they talk about lessening the lights in the last weeks is like doc mentioned partly due to the High altitude (or high Latitude degree)
in a high altitude/latitude the end of your out door flowering period will actually have 10 hrs our less as you are beginning to squeeze in to those winter hours.... this also does a few things Chemically in the plant.
when the light begins to dip in to a less "optimum" lighting the plant will go in to "Emergency/survival" mode..... in doing this it puts ist Thc/CBD/CBN ETC production in to hyper-drive as the plant "thinks" that it is ending its optimal life.
In a natural growth setting with both male and female this makes sense for the plant to do, as near the end of its life the female has been pollinated and the seeds are reaching maturity... the Thc Glands are Protection for the seed and bud through the winter untill it can grow again the next spring
few things that make this happen are (thc=non water soluble... every had you hands all covered in glands and tryed to wash them off to see the water bead up and drip right off?)
Thc protects them from pests "stoning them to death"
it makes sense for the plant to do this before death to protect its self for reproduction.
there are many more reasons this works this way but i better get back to my point.....
when we move in to an indoor setting it is for environmental reasons
there are all kinds of things you can do to "imitate" an outdoor setting and this is one of them..... all of our plants at the shop have their lighting moved to 10 hrs 2 weeks before harvest and it seems to be noticeable as the really frost up and there are more colors that begin to show as well (no clue it that has any true correlation to the light as we also drop temps 10*)

another thing we do at the shop is we have the lights come on and off in a "Wave" from one side to the next to simulate the sunrise and set... its cool to watch in the morning as they will sway with the light.. (there are 5 rows of 7 1000 W in the room that we do this all set 5 min apart takes 40 min for all the lights to turn on and off and makes it really nice to feed that room lol)

well i succesfully rambled... i hope i answered your question

for the entire building its in the thousands..... thats the 20x 30 room... there are 3 other rooms that are 15x20 or so a 15 x10 dry/swell room and another Veg room that is 20x30.... there are a total of 85 1000 watts in the warehouse and we have 2 400 watts for a play tent.... and than we are playing with a 1000 watt equiv led and 2 600 watt equivs by stealth grow

just glad that the electric bill dowsnt come out of my own pocket

OK....here's an update.

One room is completely finished and functional. The temps and RH are completely under control. C02 is up and running, and I've got intake and exhaust fans and a carbon filter the size of a small water heater on the roof. The intake and exhaust only run in the dark cycle, and change out the volume of air in the room once every 2 minutes.

I've moved a few plants in there and have started some seeds.

The seeds are rather special. A good friend has some long time connections in NorCal and got these seeds, and many others from a legendary grower. These are very special seeds!

We've got about 10 different strains, and these are the first ones to pop.

It's a 70/30 cross between a Pakistani purple indica and Old School Purple Haze. He claims it is where Purple Urkle came from. Pictures of the plant look exactly like PU.....we shall see.

These are going to grow in SubCool's Super Soil.
I also have Space Jill and Willie Nelson going in Super Soil.

Things are gonna happen pretty fast now......

I really like the Super Soil!
IMG_16794.JPG

IMG_16741.JPG

IMG_16756.JPG

IMG_16766.JPG

IMG_16776.JPG

IMG_16785.JPG

IMG_16805.JPG

IMG_16816.JPG

IMG_16822.JPG

IMG_16833.JPG

IMG_16842.JPG

IMG_16854.JPG

IMG_16864.JPG

Doc,

Looks like you are off to a great start Doc.

Any chance of any LED lights making their way into the room for a test run?

What kind of ballasts are those on the wall, and what brand lights you like to use?

No plans for LED's at this time. I might get about four 8 bulb T5's for the veg room....stand them up instead of letting them shine from above.

I'm using 3 Lumatek dimable ballasts and one Galaxy dimable. I like the dimable ones, because if it ever gets too hot, you can dim the lights and lower the temps. But I won't have that problem in this room......I'm in an insulated industrial space and i built an insulated room inside that!

Hey Doc,

Really nice! I can't wait. :)

I'm curious...did you use Roots Organic for the Super Soil or a substitute? I ask because I think you had attributed the gnats on your last grow to the Roots Organic soil.

Hey Doc,

Really nice! I can't wait. :)

I'm curious...did you use Roots Organic for the Super Soil or a substitute? I ask because I think you had attributed the gnats on your last grow to the Roots Organic soil.

I actually tossed 40 gallons of Roots a couple months ago. It's nothing but a damn gnat factory. I won't use that product again for that reason.

For this batch, I made half with Vermicrop and the other half with Black Gold.

The Vermicrop soil is the best feeling/draining soil I've come across. The Black Gold seems fine too.....but not as good as the Vermicrop. For now, that's my soil of choice, but we'll wait to see how the finished product turns out and re-think the whole thing.

Back
Top Bottom