DocBud - New Room - Super Soil - Etc

Re: DocBud - New Room - Super Soil - Etc.

Thanks Doc, I'll do that, will be back in the garden Tuesday. I will make those adjustments then. I will have to stop and see our local organic worm gardener for some more castings. I thought that the molasses would supply enough "K", it's supposed to be really high in potassium isn't it? Another thought, on a bloom tea, would you sub a high P guano for the high N guano and go? I hadn't planned to add a bloom booster to this. It's been so many years since i've grown, i didn't want to get carried away and crisp anything. So think I have been under doing it for the past 9-10 weeks. Better safe than sorry as i get familiar with all of this again.

Thanks Doc, I'll do that, will be back in the garden Tuesday. I will make those adjustments then. I will have to stop and see our local organic worm gardener for some more castings. I thought that the molasses would supply enough "K", it's supposed to be really high in potassium isn't it? Another thought, on a bloom tea, would you sub a high P guano for the high N guano and go? I hadn't planned to add a bloom booster to this. It's been so many years since i've grown, i didn't want to get carried away and crisp anything. So think I have been under doing it for the past 9-10 weeks. Better safe than sorry as i get familiar with all of this again.

If you get your microbes brewed up right, you'll have innoculated your soil with Nitrogen Fixing Bacteria. They will get the N the plants need from organic material in the soil and even the atmosphere! You have to start with a good source and brew them up properly.

So, what that means is that as long as your soil has lots of organic material, your plants will have nitrogen. In other words, use high P bat guano for your teas.

You'll have a very hard time overfeeding with teas, but over-watering is a distinct possibility....just remember to let 'em nearly dry out between waterings. In the large pots I'm using, I can actually go about a week between waterings, but the top layers of soil get way too dry, so I moisten with a quart of water the 3rd day after a good watering.

As far as the molasses goes, it's a source of food for the microbes, not a source of nutrition for the plant.

With organic, living soil web type stuff, we've got to stop thinking about feeding the plant and start thinking about feeding the microbes and the soil.

I may have found a couple shortcuts:

1.)Epsoma products have a great roster of beneficial bacteria and fungi
2.)Extreme Gardening has 2 products that are also very helpful:

Mykos: a general, full spectrum soil innoculant
Azos: Nitrogen Fixing Bacteria

However, a good compost tea brewed from quality compost has that stuff too. Worm teas are a bit different, but still loaded with good stuff.

I use worm, compost, guano and combination teas.

All of this discussion argues loudly for large pots and soils rich in organic material. Once you get everything started right, it's hard to mess up.

Well, i probably didn't get it started right, not bad, but not where it probably should be. And yes, my mind set is in the wrong spot, thinking about what the plants need, and not thinking about is it in the soil and will it be available. I will finish off my old tea on the outdoor stuff Tuesday, clean and sanitize the pumps and tub, and then start over with your recommendations and give the indoor critters a touch on Tuesday. I am thinking my 3 gal pots are probably a little small, unless i veg for a week more maybe and then flip. I'll get some 5 gal pots for the next run.

Thanks for the wonderful info and will be back in a few days.

Hey Doc, Thanks for the hygrowzyme info. I may have miss quoted the article, said wouldnt use last couple weeks, " Weeks 9 to 11 should get very little to none. Later use of Hygrozyme in flowering cycles makes residual nirogen available and can extend flowering times so be cautious."

Cool! A No Mercy Grow! :thumb:

THSea told me that I needed to check out your grow journal, so here I am.

Now I can see why he was so inistant! :thumb:

Very nice! :)

I'm pulling up a chair with great interest because I am about to attempt something similar to a No Mercy, but with clones instead of seedlings.

Cool! A No Mercy Grow! :thumb:

THSea told me that I needed to check out your grow journal, so here I am.

Now I can see why he was so inistant! :thumb:

Very nice! :)

I'm pulling up a chair with great interest because I am about to attempt something similar to a No Mercy, but with clones instead of seedlings.

Clones require root systems, you will be very unhappy if you decide to flower them right from cuttings.

The 12/12 system only works with seeds. My last journal also featured some 12/12 plants. Here's one:

IMG_15652.JPG

All seeds will veg for a month or more, regardless of light cycle. Just think of a plant growing at the equator. If you top the plants, you reduce the auxins, which are produced in meristematic tissue in the plant. (the growing tips)

Topping a young seedling will prolong veg time. The plant above was topped between the second and third node when there were five sets of leaves. It yielded just over 4 ounces of really nice buds and was grown on a 12/12 schedule from germination through harvest.

Don't do this with clones!

My clones will be 8-12" tall in 2.5 gal. pots. You can view them in my gallery or journal. Trust me... They HAVE a root structure. :)

The idea is minimal veg cycle and about 85% of their lives in 12/12.

Kind of an offshoot of the concept behind the original NM technique.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

My clones will be 8-12" tall in 2.5 gal. pots. You can view them in my gallery or journal. Trust me... They HAVE a root structure. :)

The idea is minimal veg cycle and about 85% of their lives in 12/12.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

Ah....you threw me off when you said "No Mercy."

You're just growing small plants from clone.....no prob. You're vegging and then flowering.

A No Mercy grow specifically refers to a 12/12 photoperiod for the entire grow.....

Doc,
those are some fine lookin plants.

Referring to post #149 of mine last week; my friend picked his plants a few days ago at 9 weeks. It actually does seem a little better than mine. Amber tris were hard to find, yet the smoke seems a little more relaxing and stoney than mine, which went 13 wks. and had a little amber.

I will probably pick my WW and Kandy Kush clones this weekend which will be 10 wks. If they turn out to be better than the moms, can I assume waiting for amber is not as important as picking at either end of the recommended time?

Or maybe a more specific question, if it is a 7 day window for optimum harvest, is the difference in high is determined by the early part of the 7 days as compared to the latter end of the 7 days and any later isnt worth the wait?

Doc,
those are some fine lookin plants.

Referring to post #149 of mine last week; my friend picked his plants a few days ago at 9 weeks. It actually does seem a little better than mine. Amber tris were hard to find, yet the smoke seems a little more relaxing and stoney than mine, which went 13 wks. and had a little amber.

I will probably pick my WW and Kandy Kush clones this weekend which will be 10 wks. If they turn out to be better than the moms, can I assume waiting for amber is not as important as picking at either end of the recommended time?

Or maybe a more specific question, if it is a 7 day window for optimum harvest, is the difference in high is determined by the early part of the 7 days as compared to the latter end of the 7 days and any later isnt worth the wait?

The time of harvest is very important, especially if the plant is starving for food and is maturing (dying)very fast.

Personally, I would never harvest a stoney Indica with any more than 1 or 2% Amber. Preferably, I'd get it when it's all cloudy. A week makes a difference at this stage.

Also, I like to harvest right before the lights come on and I like to give them a good watering 2 days before harvest.

I think with a really racey Sativa, you can let them go till there's more amber and you might decrease the paranoia and racing heartbeat.

Basically, I think it comes down to the way a strain was grown....and trial and error until you find the sweet spot.

Just finished catching up on your grows.

It's amazing to see the growth you've made as a cultivator in two short years.

You obviously have a great network of peers and support. Your results speak of the care, dediction and knowledge you have gained and apply.

Keep Growing!

The time of harvest is very important, especially if the plant is starving for food and is maturing (dying)very fast.

Personally, I would never harvest a stoney Indica with any more than 1 or 2% Amber. Preferably, I'd get it when it's all cloudy. A week makes a difference at this stage.

Also, I like to harvest right before the lights come on and I like to give them a good watering 2 days before harvest.

I think with a really racey Sativa, you can let them go till there's more amber and you might decrease the paranoia and racing heartbeat.

Basically, I think it comes down to the way a strain was grown....and trial and error until you find the sweet spot.

Hey DocBud - can I persuade you and Hashhound to have a look at my current grow. I just posted some pics of the trichomes of my three plants, and I am confusing the heck out of myself. First time harvesting, and I don't want to screw it up!

Thanks in advance.

Just finished catching up on your grows.

It's amazing to see the growth you've made as a cultivator in two short years.

You obviously have a great network of peers and support. Your results speak of the care, dediction and knowledge you have gained and apply.

Keep Growing!

Thanks! I only say this to help others......

I started off knowing how to grow vegetables....you know, back yard garden stuff.

I am educated and can read and write. I knew how to do all this stuff before I started growing pot.

I carefully read and learned about cannabis cultivation, and learned that this plant isn't hard to grow at all. I also learned that a very deceptive and predatory market has sprung up, where "nutrients" are sold at insane markups to ignorant stoners. These companies has mystified and confounded the relatively simple practice of cultivation and have set most new growers off on the wrong path......

So, it's really very simple:

1.)Environment.

Cannabis likes to grow with temps about 76-78 during the day, and about 10-15 degrees cooler at night.

Humidity. Cannabis likes it at about 50%

2.)Medium. Any medium will do as long as you understand the medium! IE perlite has zero nutrition, dirt has plenty.

3.)Water. My chemistry background helped here. Learn the difference between pH and Total Alkalinity and apply that knowledge to the medium you're growing in, IE In hydro, pH is very important, in dirt it's almost meaningless, but Total Alkalinity is very important in dirt.

4.)Light. Bright lights...period.

Get a grow room that allows you to control the environment and make it optimal for cannabis, use sensible nutrients, decent water and use a simple method to grow and you're going to succeed.

It's not the magic nutes......it's the environment. Anyone can do this and produce high quality weed.

I'm trying to take that to the next level and blow people's minds......I'm making progress on that, but have a while to go yet.

Thanks! I only say this to help others......

I started off knowing how to grow vegetables....you know, back yard garden stuff.

I am educated and can read and write. I knew how to do all this stuff before I started growing pot.

I carefully read and learned about cannabis cultivation, and learned that this plant isn't hard to grow at all. I also learned that a very deceptive and predatory market has sprung up, where "nutrients" are sold at insane markups to ignorant stoners. These companies has mystified and confounded the relatively simple practice of cultivation and have set most new growers off on the wrong path......

So, it's really very simple:

1.)Environment.

Cannabis likes to grow with temps about 76-78 during the day, and about 10-15 degrees cooler at night.

Humidity. Cannabis likes it at about 50%

2.)Medium. Any medium will do as long as you understand the medium! IE perlite has zero nutrition, dirt has plenty.

3.)Water. My chemistry background helped here. Learn the difference between pH and Total Alkalinity and apply that knowledge to the medium you're growing in, IE In hydro, pH is very important, in dirt it's almost meaningless, but Total Alkalinity is very important in dirt.

4.)Light. Bright lights...period.

Get a grow room that allows you to control the environment and make it optimal for cannabis, use sensible nutrients, decent water and use a simple method to grow and you're going to succeed.

It's not the magic nutes......it's the environment. Anyone can do this and produce high quality weed.

I'm trying to take that to the next level and blow people's minds......I'm making progress on that, but have a while to go yet.

IMHO this is truly one of the finest most eloquent statements I have seen around here. I have admired your outlook on mj cultivation for quite some time.
I have even adopted a version of your growing style and made it my own.
I just really wanted to say HI and keep it green.
Thanks!
:peace:

HASH, i used to harvest the older strains much, much more amber, to get the couchlock high that i wanted (i'd harvest a few in milky for daytime smoke), but these newer strains, like most of us r growing, just don't work that way. i don't know, since i'm not the breeder, but i think it might be because the breeders started breeding for shorter flower times. if somebody knows, please chime in. i really believe it's the strain.

Thanks for visiting my grow Doc - unfortunately, I decided to create another dilemma for myself by cutting off another sugar leaf of the same Emerald Jack.

Sorry for giving you the link to only one of the posts - here is the real link

I also gave you the information that you asked for: basically a quick rundown of the setup.

HASH, i used to harvest the older strains much, much more amber, to get the couchlock high that i wanted (i'd harvest a few in milky for daytime smoke), but these newer strains, like most of us r growing, just don't work that way. i don't know, since i'm not the breeder, but i think it might be because the breeders started breeding for shorter flower times. if somebody knows, please chime in. i really believe it's the strain.

That is exactly my current problem. I have a strain labeled at 9-11 weeks of flower, that is showing amber at 38 days. Does 5 and a half weeks not sound way too early? So, for a first time grower, who does not know the difference yet between clear and milky trichs, this is highly confusing.

Btw, very nice overview of MJ growing DOC. Follow the KISS method.

Here's an update.

These plants were all germinated on the same day.....they are 62 days old. What a difference genetics make!

The Willie Nelsons have pre-flowers, while the Space Jill's are half done, frosted up junior monter colas. All have been on a 12/12 schedule from germination.

Working on a mild sulfur deficiency on the tallest Willie Nelson. It's growing like crazy....bottom half of plant is perfect, top half getting yellow. It's getting better, I'm foliar feeding and root feeding some sulfur/iron/zinc.

In no particular order:

IMG_1713.JPG

IMG_17141.JPG

IMG_17151.JPG

IMG_17161.JPG

IMG_17172.JPG

IMG_17181.JPG

IMG_17192.JPG

IMG_17203.JPG

IMG_17212.JPG

IMG_17223.JPG

IMG_17236.JPG

IMG_17243.JPG

Looking good doc, I didn't know how to link this to have you peek at my indoor grow of bubba kush skunk clones i just have 10 days under the lights now, but today an odd phenom popped up, and here are a couple of picts. I took em outside and flushed the shit out of them cause i freaked a bit. they are back under the lights. Any thoughts on the vericose veins (yellow in the new leaf growth.
bubba_kush_skunk_vericose_veins.JPG

Plant_shot_of_the_vein_thing.JPG

Another_shot_of_vericose_veins.jpg

I have no idea what to make of this. They had some N2 deficiency from their clone pots and were starting to get their color back then BAM!!! This oddity. I never recall this from growing years ago for a decade.

Sorry bout stuffing these picts on your thread, but i know you will have an idea what i (did or didn't do).

BTW, your latest picts are awesome!!! those are so beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom