DocBud's Next Medical Grow

That's interesting. My thinking was the foliar feed (with a surfactant) would be totally taken up. I'm guessing you don't think that?

I did notice that some of the stamens on the White Russians turned slightly brownish after the spray, the Jacks didn't show that, but the trichs on both were a lot more visible :thumb:

How long into flower do you keep it up?

I've been feeding lo end doses of MaxiBloom & KoolBloom w/ every watering (3-5 days in coco/dirt hempys). The Snowstorm label makes me more than a little nervous about drench feeding, though.

Your advice is always appreciated, thanks:reading420magazine:

I don't like the idea of spraying buds with water late into bloom. Mold...means I have to throw the plant into the creek or dumpster....not good.

In veg and early bloom I foliar feed all the time!

I would not use the Snowstorm at the same time as chemical ferts....you're right, it does caution against such things on the label.

I don't like the idea of spraying buds with water late into bloom. Mold...means I have to throw the plant into the creek or dumpster....not good.

In veg and early bloom I foliar feed all the time!

I would not use the Snowstorm at the same time as chemical ferts....you're right, it does caution against such things on the label.

Gotcha on the mold. That's the thing I was most worried about when I started growing in the crawl... and, it's the only thing I have been lucky enough to avoid, knock on formica ;)

Hey Doc,
First time caller, long time listener. Been reading your journals last couple months and really appreciate the time and effort you put into them. Your results show your dedication to the effort. Really liked your description of the "Flo" buzz. Is this an available strain or one of your own? I was also interested in your opinion or way of trimming or(and) topping plants. Do's and dont's. Will be starting my hempy grow in a couple weeks with some Blackjack and White Rhino. Just have to get my room done. 4 x 8 w/8ft ceiling. Thought of a journal but I live where God lost his tooth brush and this dial up access is really slow. Thanks for your time!

Hey Doc,
First time caller, long time listener. Been reading your journals last couple months and really appreciate the time and effort you put into them. Your results show your dedication to the effort. Really liked your description of the "Flo" buzz. Is this an available strain or one of your own? I was also interested in your opinion or way of trimming or(and) topping plants. Do's and dont's. Will be starting my hempy grow in a couple weeks with some Blackjack and White Rhino. Just have to get my room done. 4 x 8 w/8ft ceiling. Thought of a journal but I live where God lost his tooth brush and this dial up access is really slow. Thanks for your time!

Thanks for stopping by!

Topping is great if you want more than one cola. But you need large pots, patience and a really good nutrition regime.

All plants should be pruned, IMO...I wait until week 2 or 3 of bloom and cut off the little stuff.

Flo is a DJ short strain and is available on the web. It's a great buzz for people in the know.....but the bag appeal and smell isn't quite what the pop-market is looking for. I could tell you some funny stories about that...

Doc

Any idea what causes leaves to point up like in this pic? I'm hoping it's just because they are so healthy.
I've googled it, and saw a lot of contradicting opinions.
Room_view_13_wks_pointing_up_R.jpg

Doc

Any idea what causes leaves to point up like in this pic? I'm hoping it's just because they are so healthy.
I've googled it, and saw a lot of contradicting opinions.
Room_view_13_wks_pointing_up_R.jpg

Kind of looks like you got the claw on a few of the leafs too. I had the same issue with the leafs standing up and some other symptoms, it was from overfeeding, which caused over abundance of nitrogen and caused a cal/mag lock out as well. My leafs eventually started eating themselves:thedoubletake::thedoubletake:. Im not sure but it looks like the same issue I had. I flushed and skipped feeding for one or two cycles and they came back around after some bloom nutes. Sorry for just chimming in on the thread but hope it helps.:thumb:

Other than the CRF's that have been in there from the beginning, the only other nutes have been Humboldts Ginormous which has no nitrogen, some Snow Storm Ultra, molasses, and epsom.
They are healthy green looking, can't imagine it's lack of anything.

Other than the CRF's that have been in there from the beginning, the only other nutes have been Humboldts Ginormous which has no nitrogen, some Snow Storm Ultra, molasses, and epsom.
They are healthy green looking, can't imagine it's lack of anything.

They're green and growing? Don't worry about it.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say your temps have been high, causing a bit more release of nutes than you planned for.

I flush every time I water.....every single time. Basically, we have a monsoon rain when it's time to water the plants. I find, especially with OC+, that this leaches out a bit of nitrogen.

It's not that there's too much N in OC+....it's that with high temps it releases a bit more than you planned on.

If you don't have cO2, that would also help, as increased plant metabolism will suck up the excess.

But again.....if they're green and growing, don't sweat it. As the plants get larger, their nutrient requirements will increase and everything will come back in balance.

Hey Doc! I've spent the morning reading your first journal. I stumbled across some of your posts regarding the use of Osmocote Plus in your hempy grows and have been trying to track down the specifics of dosing into a hempy medium. Would you please share? Thanks!

Hey Doc! I've spent the morning reading your first journal. I stumbled across some of your posts regarding the use of Osmocote Plus in your hempy grows and have been trying to track down the specifics of dosing into a hempy medium. Would you please share? Thanks!

There's thread on Osmocote Plus in the "Grow Supply Product Review" section,

Osmocote Plus Plant Food - Discuss Its Use With Cannabis Here!

I'll give you what's become my standard warning:

Osmocote Plus is going to work VERY well provided your environment is in check. If you have extremely high temps, don't use OC+. If you have really low temps and dose for that, then it gets hot.....disaster.

You've got to have your environment dialed in....and that goes for ALL grow styles, but with OC+ it's especially important.

Your plants will probably take a couple weeks longer to finish with OC+, but they'll also yield more.

2tbsp per gallon of medium should work well. Put half the charge just above the hole and the other half spread into the medium above that.

Thanks Doc! I am using a fairly compact grow tent(51.5" Wide x 22.5" Deep x 48.5" Tall) with t5 fluorescents. At the end of the month I'll be upgrading from a 4 lamp ballast to 6 or 8 lamp ballast, but I still don't imagine heat being an excessive problem.

However, I do imagine I'll be sticking around your journal for a while :)

Update:

Blue Dream....3 weeks to go, starting to frost up like crazy. All organic except for Snowstorm Ultra.

IMG_14846.JPG

IMG_14855.JPG

IMG_14865.JPG

IMG_15004.JPG

IMG_15014.JPG

Below is an idea what the resin content is like.
cropbd.jpg

PPP nugs

IMG_14879.JPG

3D nugs
IMG_14957.JPG

IMG_14948.JPG

cropped3d.jpg

Querkle

IMG_14993.JPG

IMG_14977.JPG

OK, so is all organic better?

I don't think so. My yield was lower...not bad, just lower than my last grow. The taste is fantastic, but not THAT much better than OC+ in soil. I think that next grow I will continue with organic soil, microherd, compost tea, guano tea, etc. But, I'll make the soil less hot and use OC+ as a base nute. I hope that I can keep the slightly better taste AND get the yield up a bit.

Don't get me wrong, these are really nice plants, great smoke, potent, good taste....but it was a hassle compared to OC+. Having done both now, I think a happy medium, combining both methods is in order.

They look fantastic Doc! That Blue Dream is my new fav :tokin:

I'm going to try some all organic veggies with Mater Magic as the CRF and hopefully on a few clones as well. It'll be getting a little hot here for OC+ pretty soon.

Hey Doc I've got some sickly WW's in 2L's, I pulled the worst of them and the perlite is full of algae, even down in the root zone.

I used masking tape to light proof them but I'm going to paint them, it's obviously not working.

Anyhow what should I do about the algae? I'm thinking something with H2O2, if you could give me your RX I would really appreciate it.

Doc,

Have you ever tried or considered using Dynamite organic?
Dynamite Plant Food : Products : Organic

or these spikes
Organic Fertilizers

or some of the epsoma organic products as a base

I make extensive use of Epsoma Tomato Tone.
"Organic" is a funny term. For some, it means 100% natural ingredients. For others, it means a living soil.

I'm one of the living soil types. I carefully mixed and composted my soil for a month prior to use. Dynamite organic, while probably a really good product, is simply a time released fertilizer made from all natural ingredients.

Not quite the same as looking at your soil as a living organism....

So, next grow I'm still going with a living soil, but it's going to be less hot and I'll add OC+. It won't be OMRI, due to the OC+, but I think it will make a better final product....balancing taste/quality with yield.

If this grow had literally blown away the last grow when it comes to taste there wouldn't be any question; I'd ditch the OC+ in a second and go with all organic. But it doesn't "blow away" the OC+ product in taste and smell. It is slightly better....but only slightly.....and it was much more expensive and time consuming to grow all organic.

I think I can get a happy medium, which is what I'm going for next time.

Still learning more than ever.....

Hey Doc I've got some sickly WW's in 2L's, I pulled the worst of them and the perlite is full of algae, even down in the root zone.

I used masking tape to light proof them but I'm going to paint them, it's obviously not working.

Anyhow what should I do about the algae? I'm thinking something with H2O2, if you could give me your RX I would really appreciate it.

Hygrozyme with every watering.
H202
Tap water, especially if it's chlorinated. Even if you only use it for a week or two, that should solve the problem.

Hygrozyme with every watering.
H202
Tap water, especially if it's chlorinated. Even if you only use it for a week or two, that should solve the problem.

Doc I don't have hygrozyme and neither does the hydro store, I'll have to order some. I do have pondzyme I'll start using that again, I didn't think it was doing anything.

How should I use the h202? Thanks again my friend.

Update:

OK, so is all organic better?

I don't think so. My yield was lower...not bad, just lower than my last grow. The taste is fantastic, but not THAT much better than OC+ in soil. I think that next grow I will continue with organic soil, microherd, compost tea, guano tea, etc. But, I'll make the soil less hot and use OC+ as a base nute. I hope that I can keep the slightly better taste AND get the yield up a bit.

Don't get me wrong, these are really nice plants, great smoke, potent, good taste....but it was a hassle compared to OC+. Having done both now, I think a happy medium, combining both methods is in order.

The questiom I have about this is, wouldnt using synthetic nutrients kill off the michrobial life in the soil that your building up? From what I've been reading on this, that seems to be the case. I could be wrong, or missing somthing though as I am still pretty new to organics myself. Thanks, and your plants and nugs are looking great by the way!

Back
Top Bottom