Donpaul.p's Latest 400 Watt HPS Grow

Happy New Year

happy new year my friends,
may this year bring you lots of greenery.

sorry ive not updated my journal but i spend more time catching up on other journals and before i know it its been a week since i updated my own journal.

@jimmy, which cheese my friend. are you on about the true uk cheese, i found the big buddha cheese is nothing like the true uk cheese, well at least the pheno types i grew last time didnt come anywhere near as potent as the true uk cheese, put it this way i can easily smoke a 8th a day and a couple of spliffs/joints before i go to bed, but this uk cheese is damn potent, ive smoked bud now for nearly 20 years so no light weight but i cant finish a uk cheese spliff, im lucky if i can smoke half a king size to myself, im falling asleep after half a joint and an 8th would last me days, its just so damn potent.
it hits my sister the same, she smokes more than me and even she has problems smoking a lot of cheese, when you smoke bud for a long time you dont get red eye anymore and you dont get that stoned feeling as much but if my sister has half a joint of uk cheese she is major red eye and she sits down and wont move for the rest of the day, normally she would have a spliff every couple of hours, if im over her area we have a smoke or she has a smoke with her mates but this cheese puts her on her backside, she says its just to damn potent for a regular smoke.
i have to agree its some potent bud, so ive got another 2 big buddha cheese growing, both are different pheno to the last 2 i grew, the leaves on these 2 are smaller and node spacing is much tighter and the plant stinks and its only in early veg so fingers crossed it produces well,

i know big buddha was lucky enough to get a clone of the clone only uk cheese strain and got it out the country, now his big buddha cheese is fem only but i get the feeling he didnt self pollenate or if he only got 1 clone then he didnt want to risk self pollenating in case it caused genetic problems, so i get the impression he crossed the clone with a regular male, possibly ak47 for bigger yields but its lost the true cheese potency.

the only strain thats come close to the uk cheese is the first strain i grew when i joined this site, i got speaking with a seed bank and its beeny or beany, at the time he was doing free seed offers, so every couple of months he would put a msg on his site saying he is giving away packs of 10 seeds on a first come first serve basis, but as i had been in talk with him for a while he told me i didnt need to apply and he would send me a pack, so he sent me a pack and it was a plain pack marked ak47 x uk cherry cheese, he said its a new strain from a top breeder and wanted me to write him a review on it so the breeder could see what others thought, so i grew it and was blown away with it, i thought it was maybe because it was grown myself and i was biassed but when i grew other strains i realised this ak47 x uk cherry cheese is still the best strain ive grown so far. it clearly has the uk cheese in it.

anyways after i tried other strains i contacted beany and asked him what the strain is now called and where i can get it as i was down to my last 2 seeds, he told me he didnt know as the breeders just send him samples to hand out and he sends them reviews so he couldnt tell me anything, when i search the net for ak47 x uk cherry cheese all that pops up is my pics so theirs nothing online anywhere about this strain, id love to know its back ground or even what the cherry cheese part is, i know the ak47 is to give bigger yields and the cheese is the potency but where does the cherry part come from.

with my last 2 seeds i lucked out and got 1 fem and 1 male so produced more seeds and its what ive used for most of my crosses,

i can get hold of true uk cheese clones from the original clone only plant from the late 70's but id need to take a trip south so pick them up, id also get some jack flash as again the seed banks jack flash was nothing like the true jack flash.
i also found that if i buy 1 strain 1 year and the same strain the next year then you end up with different results, so my only option is to get hold of this top strains and keep them in my own stock as the strains of today are nothing like i was smoking 15 years ago which was disapointing,

after all that i forgot about my current plants,

ill get some pics taken tomorrow so you can all see whats going on.
some of you may remember i was trying a different flowering schedule with 2 of my plants, i was giving the sensi stay which again ive produced seeds of to keep it in my own collection as its probably the only strain thats come close to the ak47 x uk cherry cheese potency and taste wise, it was only the 1 pheno type out of 5 seeds that came close so i kept that pheno by self pollenating and that worked ok and all seeds ive grown so far have turned out with the same pheno, so im pretty sure that if you self pollenate then the seeds will be an exact copy of the mother plant.

so 2 plants under a different flowering schedule, ive had growers say they got poor results compared with 12-12, im sure king john said he tried other flowering schedules and wasnt happy with the results,
so what i did was tested to mature plants and flowered them under 13on 11off
the sensi star ive grown every grow for a while now so i have a good idea of how it grows and produces, the other strain under this schedule is the dragons breath which ive not grown before but im so glad i decided to grow it this time round as its a very nice plant.

so the results im getting with the sensi star im very happy with, its been under 13-11 for a while now and its flowering well with no signs of hermie or any other problem, now i know how much it normally stretches under 12-12 so when i went from 17-7 down to 13-11 i was expecting similar stretch but this did not happen, instead the upwards growth wasnt as aggressive as it should be when grown under 12-12.

so what did i notice that was different, well i noticed a difference within a week or 2 of the plant starting to flower,
the pistils seems much longer, it looked like their was a lot more pistils compared with any previous grow, stretch was to a minimum.
now the buds are forming i can again see a huge difference, the buds seems much fatter earlier than normal, already all the nodes have joined together with no gaps and its not that far in flower.
so it looks like its going to produce big buds with very little popcorn buds, it all seems to have joined up and is forming fat buds much earlier,

the dragons breath on the other hand seemed to have more stretch than the sensi star but ive not checked the background of DB so it might be a strain that stretches but ill clone it and try it under 12-12 in a future grow as its such a nice plant to grow so hopefully it flowers as well.

so 13on and 11off seems to be working out ok for me and im very happy with the results so far, please dont jump in and change your schedules as im not suggesting its the best schedule to use or saying it will produce bigger buds, so let me carry on testing it and you can see for yourself the end result.

but due to the sensi star growing as it has ive now flipped my whole grow room to 13-11, ive got 5 strains ive grown several times so again i can compare the results with previous grows.

the idea was to try and give the plants more light per day but keep them in flower, now outdoor the plants dont get 12-12 for the whole of flower and they still flower and several outdoor growers have told me that most strains start flowering when natural light is 14on 10off. so if a plant is getting more light in flower and less dark then it should produce more fruit.
what i did want to try was something like 14-12 so more than 24 hours in a day but the plant still gets its 12 hours dark period to keep it in flower, but i cant work out how i would set this up with a timer, im sure its possible but i cant work out what i need to do on my digital timer, i think its a 28day digital timer but ill need to double check, but if anyone is clever enough to work it out then give me a shout, 14-12 would be what i want, i know the mechanical timers can be taken apart and the cogs moved around to give a 36 hour day if i remember,

so for now its 13-11 till harvest for my plants from today

another idea thats always played on my mind is the GLR schedule, we know if a plant gets light during the 12 hour dark period then it makes it go hermie, yet glr is doing just that and the plants dont hermie, so glr is 12-12 but we give 1 hour of light in the middle of the dark period and this stops the flowering hormones from fully turning the plant to flower, so their must be some cut off point between getting a hermie and glr,

so thats where im at, ill take pics tomorrow and get them posted, ive also got my own autos that will be now finished under 13-11, their 1.5ft high and not showing sex yet so these should yield well if 1 or more is female, so i can now see how they do under a flowering schedule,

Morning DonP. I have been popping in now and then and the only thing that peaked my interest is your 13-11 idea so I'm trying it out and it's only been a week since flip...nothing to report yet... but I will as time progresses..I see you have been a busy one. Keep up the good work... back to the grind... :)

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom