Dos-Si-Dos & Wedding Cake ala Dope Seeds

Well, I feel like we share custody in some respects. After all, I spend a fair amount of time monitoring the grow and that should earn me some input points.

But, now that I say it out loud, I see I am overstepping here a little bit...

:)

But you have modesty down to an art. It looks great to me!
There's room for improvement. This is a whole nother world to figure out. How far back to cut them, when, nutes, root pruning, bugs. It's a completely different gardening experience compared to growing a plant to flower.
Where dat bonsai came from!

And looks like she still kicking no problem. How old is she?

Don’t mind-feed me more about my future/upcomming plans :laughtwo:
3 things going to need: a mum, cloner & rdwc system
She's my bonsai Stankberry Lady. Been around for about a year, give or take. She was an extraordinary plant so I kept her around for some breeding and to have around.
Oh, those pics caused some pieces to fall into place for me. I didn't get the mother plant thing. This makes it clear. Jesus those stems! She's obviously old. So the challenge, or one of them I guess, is to keep it under control so it doesn't turn into a tree, right? And what do you nute a mother plant, just veg nutes all the time I guess? Very interesting, thanks.
Yeah, she wants to grow out of control all the time so keeping her stems close is a good thing. I feed her @GeoFlora Nutrients veg every couple of weeks.
She is thick, Stone!

Will you ever flip her?
Probably. I'm likely near finished with her so I'm thinking I should. I'll have to try and work her to an interesting end.
Good morning Mr Otter :)

Your garden is looking fantabulous! And that little bonsai queen looks extraordinary. If she were mine I’d buy her highness a beautiful pot so she has an appropriate throne to sit her royal arse on. :)

She deserves one but I'd break it when I drop her. Hey your back! Nice!
I believe she is a working class mom. Too fancy a pot wouldn't seem to fit.

:laughtwo:
Kinda sorta that too :rofl:
Like Jon, I have questions. I've recently been pondering strains, i.e. routine strains. I currently use Hash Plant for nighttime meds and CB Dutch Treat for daytime meds. I'm considering having mother plants of both since they're my main meds. I also have 8 strains for relaxation, depression, anxiety, etc. but I think having 10 mothers is probably more than I need. I may try seed making for those strains.
  • What stage of life is the mother, veg or flower?
  • What are you feeding her, i.e. veg nutes or flower nutes (or a combo)?
  • How old is your mother plant?
  • Is it the first mother you've kept and if not, why did you start a new mother?
  • What lighting is she under?
I think that's it for now. :hmmmm:
It's another layer of work honestly. I tried seed making and am having no luck reversing for s1 seeds which would carry the mom's traits. I'm not done trying that. Making feminized seeds that retain the moms character would be nice.

She's in veg all the time getting Geoflora veg nutes and is about a year old. She's my first mother and I started her when Van Stank, her creator, texted me noting that he saw special traits in her that made her one of his favorites, Stankberry Muffin. She has a specific look growing and he caught it, and I'm glad! I got a chance to play with her quite a bit. She's under a @Mars Hydro TSW2000 turned down all the way.
Maybe a nice outer pot. That way she can get dressed up fancy for photos and such, but still keep her working class ethos going.
Good point! Since there's root pruning going on it's good to keep things simple.

Probably. I'm likely near finished with her so I'm thinking I should. I'll have to try and work her to an interesting end.
Maybe next year's outdoor grow?

But before you do, start a new mom using that fancy schmancy propagator thingy you got going on. :thumb:

I love the bonsai mother method. I no longer have the room to run a veg and flower but when I did it was always with a couple 4 gallon pails. I would definitely run your bonsai mother method if I was to ever run cuts again. I’m hanging on to this grow lesson.
:green_heart:

It's another layer of work honestly. I tried seed making and am having no luck reversing for s1 seeds which would carry the mom's traits. I'm not done trying that. Making feminized seeds that retain the moms character would be nice.

She's in veg all the time getting Geoflora veg nutes and is about a year old. She's my first mother and I started her when Van Stank, her creator, texted me noting that he saw special traits in her that made her one of his favorites, Stankberry Muffin. She has a specific look growing and he caught it, and I'm glad! I got a chance to play with her quite a bit. She's under a @Mars Hydro TSW2000 turned down all the way.

Good point! Since there's root pruning going on it's good to keep things simple.

Why do you say "it's another layer of work"? Isn't it just one more plant to tend when you're tending the others? I'm thinking one or two plants out of a possibility of 12 plants wouldn't be too much extra work since I still have to tend the others.

And, why is your light turned all the way down? Is your mother even in a tent? And, doesn't she need a certain amount of light to live?

SO will give you his thoughts but, generally, you want the mother almost in a state of suspended animation. So, light on the veg nutes, lower light levels, cooler temps, etc. Then you ramp it up a bit just before you want to take cuttings to get some new, vibrant growth. Then, you have to shave the root ball periodically (maybe a couple of times a year) to refresh the plant and keep the roots generally in line with the foliage.

So, it's a whole different environmental and watering set that is outside of what's normal for all your other plants. Another regimen to keep track of.

That mom will have so many bud sites it would be ridiculous. Coupled with your soil and @Bode `s Jadam tricks, could be epic!
So many Azi! I'd need a whip and a chair to lst her!
SO will give you his thoughts but, generally, you want the mother almost in a state of suspended animation. So, light on the veg nutes, lower light, cooler, etc. Then you ramp it up a bit just before you want to take cuttings to get some new, vibrant growth.

So, it's a whole different environmental and watering set that is outside of what's normal for all your other plants. Another regimen to keep track of.

Then, you have to shave the root ball periodically (maybe a couple of times a year) to refresh the plant and keep the roots generally in line with the foliage.
See there, if I were up to speed I'd be working like that. I'm just happy and lucky to keep her alive. It's all time consuming and I'm not up to it all the time. Lately it's been good though.

That's how folks who know say to do it. Light nutes and light. Goose it before you want her to perform and you're good to go.

Why do you say "it's another layer of work"? Isn't it just one more plant to tend when you're tending the others? I'm thinking one or two plants out of a possibility of 12 plants wouldn't be too much extra work since I still have to tend the others.

And, why is your light turned all the way down? Is your mother even in a tent? And, doesn't she need a certain amount of light to live?
Good point HashGirl. I'm not as formatable as I used to be and I'm just plain lazy. I had no grow in the tent area this summer so it was easy to lose track of her. She is just on the floor with no tent. Now that I'm there tending everyone daily again it is different, better.

The light's down low to keep growth slow and save $$. On low it still puts out plenty.

SO will give you his thoughts but, generally, you want the mother almost in a state of suspended animation. So, light on the veg nutes, lower light, cooler, etc. Then you ramp it up a bit just before you want to take cuttings to get some new, vibrant growth. Then, you have to shave the root ball periodically (maybe a couple of times a year) to refresh the plant and keep the roots generally in line with the foliage.

If you kept enough different mothers around you could dedicate a smaller tent and set it up with those specific parameters and it would likely be more efficient. Just like you have a different set for veg vs. flower, you'd have a third set for the mothers.

I love the bonsai mother method. I no longer have the room to run a veg and flower but when I did it was always with a couple 4 gallon pails. I would definitely run your bonsai mother method if I was to ever run cuts again. I’m hanging on to this grow lesson.
:green_heart:
It is nice and small. I bet a 2 x 2 tent could fit 6 or 7 if one were to keep them trimmed tight.

Mutha plants!

Do the seed companies know about this? :laughtwo:

that fancy schmancy propagator thingy you got going on.
LOL! That fancy schmancy propagator thingy is:
Cloninator-poster-scaled.jpg

@Dope-Seeds GROUP UPDATE. THINNED AND TRIMMED

Hi all, these beauties are clicking along like they like it in there. I'm seeing no issues at the moment thankfully.

Today I gave them all a top water of a half gallon each. They were watered 4 days ago and were still pretty moist down low. It'll be a few more days before full water again. Some were ready for lst and trimming inner growth. I gave them a real "Shedding" if you know what I mean. InTheShed clears out unwanted inner growth the way I like to see it but I can seldom get in them to get it done well. I may have this time. It's a good day!

First is the Dos-si-dos in front. She's thin and trim. A nice plant to work with, not too many leaves and a nice structure to work with. I took off a bunch of everything that doesn't see the light and may need to do a little more at flip. Here's Dos-si.

Wedding Cake's weren't ready for lst today so I gave them a trimming. The rear one got supercropped, she's tall and thin.

Here they play nicely.

Happy Sunday!

Mutha plants!

Do the seed companies know about this? :laughtwo:
I know right! The exceptional ones encourage it!
LOL! That fancy schmancy propagator thingy is:
Cloninator-poster-scaled.jpg

I need a weapon that shoots rooted clones!

I took off a bunch of everything that doesn't see the light and may need to do a little more at flip.
Now you need to take all those trimmings and stick them in a jar with a loose fitting lid and add some worm castings or leaf mold soil and cover with non-chlorinated water. Before you know it you'll have Jadam Dos-Si-Dos targeted fertilizer!

That's what I do with my trimmings. Master Cho says the best JLF (Jadam Liquid Fertilizer) for strawberries is other strawberries. So it doesn't take too big a leap to adapt it to our world.

Plus you can get strain specific if you want. Some strains like more or less of various nutrients so by taking trimmings from a healthy plant you are getting the nutrients in the exact ratio that that strain prefers. Doesn't take much shelf space to keep a few strain specific jars going.

(just stand back when you open the jar after a few weeks as the "scent" is a bit of an acquired taste, err smell.)

Back
Top Bottom