Emmie's Vegan Fertilizer, Pineapple Chunk 2020 Celebration: Experimental Soil Grow

I would not call this defoliating. I have just removed a few leaves that were blocking light from other budsites. I have also been careful to only take a few leaves from each plant per day, mostly right up to the end of stretch, and now that we have reached mid-flower, it is definitely time to stop annoying the ladies. The bottom third, that was all stripped right as we went into transition, and normally I would have done that a week earlier, prior to the "flip."
Taking a few leaves here and there, even in mid flower, is not likely to stress the plant out too badly. Deer come along and chew off a leaf all the time, and the plants just continue on. It is the constant day to day stressors.... a light that stays on, dead air, interruptions in the daily pattern... these are the stressors that cause the most problems.
Ah ok. thanks. I was thinking to open up some spots to let in more light, but worried about stress. But now in mid flower you say that I should stop bugging them. They seem happy, so I resist bugging them. A couple here and there, as you've said, shouldn't hurt.

Hi Emilya. Plants are looking superb. When you are counting your days of flower are you counting from flip or giving them a transition week and then start counting. Reason I ask is 11 days and stretch is over?
The moment of the flip is not as important to me as when flowering actually begins. The flip is a signal to the plant to begin a process, the act of transitioning from the vegetative mode to the blooming mode. So as to make sure my plants got the "signal" this time, I put them into darkness for 72 hours. The transition period was shortened because of this, and taking advantage of the darkness, the stretch began. They transitioned rapidly and within 7 days from the flip, I was able to document that the growth tips were throwing out pistils and new caylxes, instead of green leaf. Flowering had commenced.
So the way everyone else does this, counting the flowing period from the microsecond that they flip the light schedule, add a week to my bloom date, and then the 2 weeks of stretch will make sense.

The moment of the flip is not as important to me as when flowering actually begins. The flip is a signal to the plant to begin a process, the act of transitioning from the vegetative mode to the blooming mode. So as to make sure my plants got the "signal" this time, I put them into darkness for 72 hours. The transition period was shortened because of this, and taking advantage of the darkness, the stretch began. They transitioned rapidly and within 7 days from the flip, I was able to document that the growth tips were throwing out pistils and new caylxes, instead of green leaf. Flowering had commenced.
So the way everyone else does this, counting the flowing period from the microsecond that they flip the light schedule, add a week to my bloom date, and then the 2 weeks of stretch will make sense.

I count starting 7 days from the flip was just curious how you did it is all!

I count starting 7 days from the flip was just curious how you did it is all!
No problem shottafire, and that method should work pretty well and end up being more accurate than most folks do things, but I have seen some varieties go as long as 11 days from the flip before they actually start to flower. I have found that by doing it this way, actually looking for the flowering to begin, I get a VERY accurate determination as to when harvest will be... almost always within days of the breeder suggestions.

Hey @Emilya ,

I am noticing that GLR products are really high in Nitrogen (N) and Potassium (K) - especially the K!

Cal+Mag Pro 0-0-16, Sea-Kelp 0-0-15, and their Bud Explosion is no exception at NPK 0-19-37!

Even their BE NPK ratio deviates from the classic 1-3-2 nutrient ratio that has been proven to be the standard for blossom enhancers during the flowering stage.

I have no idea what the GLN feeding schedule is for all their products, but I am convinced, after only one day of research, that if anyone tries to combine their products into a feeding schedule like Fox Farm and Advanced Nutrients do - disaster will likely strike.

Basically, IMO, GLN products are not scientifically engineered to play nicely together in the same sandbox! I bought BE and Cal Mag Pro already and need to figure out how to use them safely with MC - so I don't get Potassium toxicity!

Potassium-_deficiency_marijuana_diagram.jpg

I am confident I will be able to use the Fox Farm flowering trio successfully with MC, but I will need to investigate further who is using MC and BE together successfully - I think maybe it was @Dutchman1990 .

I was going to buy the SC and the SK - but I am going to hold off on those because they don't seem to be balanced - and their is no other product I can think of to combine with them to balance the NPK properly.

Alright, thanks for verifying that GLN products don't play nicely together - and let's finish up those lovely plants in style!

Hey @Emilya ,

I am noticing that GLR products are really high in Nitrogen (N) and Potassium (K) - especially the K!

Cal+Mag Pro 0-0-16, Sea-Kelp 0-0-15, and their Bud Explosion is no exception at NPK 0-19-37!

Even their BE ratio deviates from the classic 1:cheesygrinsmiley:2 nutrient ratio that has been proven to be the standard for blossom enhancers during flowering.

I have no idea what the GLN feeding schedule is for all their products, but I am convinced, after only one day of research, that if anyone tries to combine their products into a feeding schedule like Fox Farm and Advanced Nutrients do - disaster will likely strike.

Basically, IMO, GLN products are not scientifically engineered to play nicely together in the same sandbox! I bought BE and Cal Mag Pro already and need to figure out how to use them safely with MC - so I don't get Potassium toxicity!

Potassium-_deficiency_marijuana_diagram.jpg

I am confident I will be able to use the Fox Farm flowering trio successfully with MC, but I will need to investigate further who is using MC and BE together successfully - I think maybe it was @Dutchman1990 .

I was going to buy the SC and the SK - but I am going to hold off on those because they don't seem to be balanced - and their is no other product I can think of to combine with them to balance the NPK properly.

Alright, thanks for verifying that GLN products don't play nicely together - and let's finish up those lovely plants in style!

When I look out into the growing world and see all the competing theories and methods, I realize that we don't yet know everything there is to know about these plants. We have a good idea the various NPK levels that are needed at various stages of the grow, and no one nutrient is going to get it perfect for every stage, nor do most of us have the skill necessary to apply the correct ratios at the correct times.
Along comes GLN and aminochelation. We know that the plants are able to take up the entire nutrient package through the water route, bypassing the normal exchange that happens in the roots, and the plants are able to use what they need. We also know that this more efficient system of nutrient exchange is resulting in a typical 140% increase in growth using these new nutrients.
So what I am saying is that at the moment, I dont trust the old numbers to work the same way. I certainly don't expect to be able to mix salt based and amino based systems in the same grow, nor would I expect MC to be compatable with an organic grow.
If you are looking for a balance, and just one simple thing you can do to grow these plants, that was what the base MC was made for. Many many people are saying that it is all you need, from start to finish. If you are intent on supplementing the grow, as I am, you would be well advised to stay within the GLN system, and realize as I am that there are very specific ways to use their additives. Regarding the K, I used terpinator all through my last grow, from veg to finish, and learned that our plants do use a lot of K... Probably why it is in all the products. Don't be scared of the K, it was the P in the BE that got me in trouble, because I gave it too early. In the foxfarm world it would be like trying to give cha-ching in early bloom. As far as the SK and SC go, look beyond the NPK numbers and understand what else is in there... the SK is to grow roots and the SC is like a superthrive that can be given all through the grow. The "unbalanced" NPK numbers are so small in the amounts given that they are mostly inconsequential.

When I look out into the growing world and see all the competing theories and methods, I realize that we don't yet know everything there is to know about these plants. We have a good idea the various NPK levels that are needed at various stages of the grow, and no one nutrient is going to get it perfect for every stage, nor do most of us have the skill necessary to apply the correct ratios at the correct times.
Along comes GLN and aminochelation. We know that the plants are able to take up the entire nutrient package through the water route, bypassing the normal exchange that happens in the roots, and the plants are able to use what they need. We also know that this more efficient system of nutrient exchange is resulting in a typical 140% increase in growth using these new nutrients.
So what I am saying is that at the moment, I dont trust the old numbers to work the same way. I certainly don't expect to be able to mix salt based and amino based systems in the same grow, nor would I expect MC to be compatable with an organic grow.
If you are looking for a balance, and just one simple thing you can do to grow these plants, that was what the base MC was made for. Many many people are saying that it is all you need, from start to finish. If you are intent on supplementing the grow, as I am, you would be well advised to stay within the GLN system, and realize as I am that there are very specific ways to use their additives. Regarding the K, I used terpinator all through my last grow, from veg to finish, and learned that our plants do use a lot of K... Probably why it is in all the products. Don't be scared of the K, it was the P in the BE that got me in trouble, because I gave it too early. In the foxfarm world it would be like trying to give cha-ching in early bloom. As far as the SK and SC go, look beyond the NPK numbers and understand what else is in there... the SK is to grow roots and the SC is like a superthrive that can be given all through the grow. The "unbalanced" NPK numbers are so small in the amounts given that they are mostly inconsequential.

Thanks for the feedback! I will heed your advice.

As for the Fox Farm bloom nutes I'm planning to use up with MC, I'm really hoping it goes well and I will try it on one or two plants only to start - just in case :)

I am still interested in the SK and SC, and will stay tuned to the MC channel for more info on how to use their products wisely.

I will not be afraid of the K - but I will be cautious until a balanced feeding schedule is put together and we learn more.

It's interesting - I wanted to grow some medicine - and the next thing I know I am supporting sponsors, entering into contests, reading the news, learning about nutrients, learning about photography and even made my first video!

This site is just packed full of wonders and great people!

@DrCannaCanadian
I did run BE and MC this round and so far have been having good success with no issues. I’ve got slight tip burn on my leaves where I wanted to see it showing me I pushed them hard but not past their limits.

I plan to continue using BE in my future grows by as @Emilya had mentioned I don’t introduce it until the beginning of week 4. My feeding schedule for this round of flower looked like this:

Bloom/Flower Week 1= 5.29g (MC)
Bloom/Flower Week 2= 6.00g
Bloom/Flower Week 3= 6.25g
Bloom/Flower Week 4= 6.25g + .50g BE
Bloom/Flower Week 5= 6.25g + .75g BE
Bloom/Flower Week 6= 6.25g + 1.00g BE
Bloom/Flower Week 7= 6.00g + .50g BE
Bloom/Flower Week 8 to Harvest = 5.50g

This feeding schedule I will be playing with to see how I can improve the results but for now this has been working really well for me this round!

@DrCannaCanadian
I did run BE and MC this round and so far have been having good success with no issues. I’ve got slight tip burn on my leaves where I wanted to see it showing me I pushed them hard but not past their limits.

I plan to continue using BE in my future grows by as @Emilya had mentioned I don’t introduce it until the beginning of week 4. My feeding schedule for this round of flower looked like this:

Bloom/Flower Week 1= 5.29g (MC)
Bloom/Flower Week 2= 6.00g
Bloom/Flower Week 3= 6.25g
Bloom/Flower Week 4= 6.25g + .50g BE
Bloom/Flower Week 5= 6.25g + .75g BE
Bloom/Flower Week 6= 6.25g + 1.00g BE
Bloom/Flower Week 7= 6.00g + .50g BE
Bloom/Flower Week 8 to Harvest = 5.50g

This feeding schedule I will be playing with to see how I can improve the results but for now this has been working really well for me this round!

Thanks again @Dutchman1990 , I thought I remembered your work correctly.

Just so we're on the same page, Week 1 is transition? Or Week 1 is first pistils?

Ineresting how the BE goes up and then you pull both back at Week 7. Did you pull back because of the onset of an issue?

This is great work, the MC crew should be able to publish a lot of good feeding schedules and tips because of the work everyone is doing here.

the fact my girls are looking good at this point, about 6 weeks in compared to last grow makes me happy so far with MC. Zero yellowing, and I'm using the soil I grew in last grow, Detroit Nutrient Co. Soil. All I did was pour 3-4 gal of recharge into it before I used it. The girls are Just getting into flowering so we will see. But so far I'm really happy.

Thanks again @Dutchman1990 , I thought I remembered your work correctly.

Just so we're on the same page, Week 1 is transition? Or Week 1 is first pistils?

Ineresting how the BE goes up and then you pull both back at Week 7. Did you pull back because of the onset of an issue?

This is great work, the MC crew should be able to publish a lot of good feeding schedules and tips because of the work everyone is doing here.

I count week 1 being the first day of 12/12 lighting. I also taper off the nutes around week 7 to mimic a “flush” without actually flushing my pots. I feed right up to harvest!

Mid-Flower, Day 14

Being an even numbered day, it is time to water. The plants surprised me a little by taking almost the full 3 gallons I have been giving them every 3 or 4 days. This is good... the perfect time to change watering strategies.
The straight MC seems to be sorting things out with the plant and at least for this watering I have continued that strategy and have given the MC at 6g/g. Unless the plant shows signs of needing more, I am now at the peak dosage of MC for this run. If all is still well when I water again on the 16th, I plan on reintroducing the sweet candy to the mix and sometime around week 4 (two more weeks) I will bring back BE.
@Dutchman1990 , I really like your feeding schedule! It kicks in the heavy nutes right when they are needed and backs off a little at the end. I now believe that following your lead with the BE is exactly the proper way to use that supplement.
Things are looking great in here, and I want to center in on one of these main kolas and show you where my foot long bud is going to come from... this one is building fast.
DSCF7766.JPG

Here is the canopy, looking very happy about life at this moment.

DSCF7765.JPG

Mid-Flower, Day 14

Being an even numbered day, it is time to water. The plants surprised me a little by taking almost the full 3 gallons I have been giving them every 3 or 4 days. This is good... the perfect time to change watering strategies.
The straight MC seems to be sorting things out with the plant and at least for this watering I have continued that strategy and have given the MC at 6g/g. Unless the plant shows signs of needing more, I am now at the peak dosage of MC for this run. If all is still well when I water again on the 16th, I plan on reintroducing the sweet candy to the mix and sometime around week 4 (two more weeks) I will bring back BE.
@Dutchman1990 , I really like your feeding schedule! It kicks in the heavy nutes right when they are needed and backs off a little at the end. I now believe that following your lead with the BE is exactly the proper way to use that supplement.
Things are looking great in here, and I want to center in on one of these main kolas and show you where my foot long bud is going to come from... this one is building fast.
DSCF7766.JPG

Here is the canopy, looking very happy about life at this moment.

DSCF7765.JPG

Emilya beautiful photographs. Your plants are doing really well.:high-five:

Hi Emilya,
I have just completed reading thru your thread, very interesting. I had seen mention of Mega Crop before but just put it down to one or another of the many different nute lines available overseas that we don't have here in NZ. Anyway, I shall continuing checking in to see how your plants progress and to make the most of your commentary. I shall take a look at the Mega Crop thread, and also pop back over to Donkey Dick's thread as he is using Mega Crop, and he is in NZ too, so must be some avenues for getting Mega Crop in NZ too. Anyway, all the best.

Emilya thanks for the Grow and information. I have been using MC for a year and love it. I’m curious how you are measuring your grams. I’ve been using a tablespoon during veg and flower. Looking like that was too much. Plants did not suffer tho
I use a little digital postal scale

Great thread that has taken me about 5 days to catch up too lol
I am runnin MC “V3” for the first time in coco loco which Is also my first time using this soil. The strain is Klingon cobbler auto by PPP in mid flower. I introduced MC for the first time this past feed everything else has been ph tap water at 5.8-6.3 with recharge every other watering. I fed MC at 6g/gl a bit higher yet but I believed the plant to be hungry and was waiting on product to arrive, she seemed to not get burned whatsoever but does seem to keep fading, to my understating this product is to be used at every watering ? And also should I up my 6g/gl by .5g or continue to see if she adapts well. It is the fading so early that worried me and your great explanation the lockouts helps me explains why regardless of what I was doing I couldn’t save my last crop due to fault ph pen, lockout and lack of experience. My last feed was 2 days ago at 6g/gl of MC “V3” at 5.9 ph ppm in around 769 ppm out 1700 ph runoff 6.0 yet my girls seem to be starving, any advice here for a rookie ???

Mid Flower, Day 11
We call this mid flower because stretch has stopped. Now suddenly the plant's needs have changed. Now all of a sudden the plants have a need for additional P and K and the need for N is being reduced.
By giving Sea-K up to this point I have given the plants a secondary source of N and they have taken full advantage of it until now. At this point, the plant is using less N and the excess is building up in the soil.
Let's consult Mulder and see what happens when N builds up.
mulders-chart-e1465939603653.jpg
We can see that there is a negative interaction between N and K. Excess Nitrogen in the soil will start to lock out Potassium!

Now let's look at the symptoms that have developed over the last 48 hours, or since the last watering.
DSCF7741.JPG DSCF7740.JPG DSCF7739.JPG DSCF7738.JPG

Isn't that a head scratcher? Every chart will tell you that I am having a potassium deficiency, yet I have been giving BE, a whole lot of extra K. There should not be a deficiency, but there is.

Not everything is what it seems when it comes to these plants. Lockouts can be tricky to diagnose as it requires you to know what the plant's needs are at that moment, and oftentimes what is going on is not obvious just by looking at a symptom chart.

Although it is a great additive during veg, I will be discontinuing the use of Sea-K from now on as we go into stretch... the extra N is no longer needed or appreciated by the plant. I believe that by eliminating this secondary source of N coming in, the plants will stabilize on the next watering. I will also be increasing the MC up to 6g/g.

Attachments

• 540F7CAC-2E8B-4C9C-874A-1D06020197C4.jpeg
    540F7CAC-2E8B-4C9C-874A-1D06020197C4.jpeg
    702.6 KB · Views: 253
  • 50FBD041-DFC5-4E7B-B2F4-1BA7BB2D04AA.jpeg
    50FBD041-DFC5-4E7B-B2F4-1BA7BB2D04AA.jpeg
    762.7 KB · Views: 244
  • 2E8661FE-6547-4D4B-9C63-FBBFF698041A.jpeg
    2E8661FE-6547-4D4B-9C63-FBBFF698041A.jpeg
    719.9 KB · Views: 253
I am runnin MC “V3” for the first time in coco loco which Is also my first time using this soil. The strain is Klingon cobbler auto by PPP in mid flower. I introduced MC for the first time this past feed everything else has been ph tap water at 5.8-6.3 with recharge every other watering. I fed MC at 6g/gl a bit higher yet but I believed the plant to be hungry and was waiting on product to arrive, she seemed to not get burned whatsoever but does seem to keep fading, to my understating this product is to be used at every watering ? And also should I up my 6g/gl by .5g or continue to see if she adapts well. It is the fading so early that worried me and your great explanation the lockouts helps me explains why regardless of what I was doing I couldn’t save my last crop due to fault ph pen, lockout and lack of experience. My last feed was 2 days ago at 6g/gl of MC “V3” at 5.9 ph ppm in around 769 ppm out 1700 ph runoff 6.0 yet my girls seem to be starving, any advice here for a rookie ???
Hi Canny... thanks for joining us!
First, I see no reason to add recharge either in a coco grow or especially in a MC grow. Microbes and the organic feeding cycle are not at all compatable with the Megacrop technology. I dont think that this is the cause of your slight deficiency, but it is a waste of money. Save the recharge for your next truly organic grow, where the microbes have something to bite on. Just having microbes swimming around in the coco is not even in the least bit beneficial.
But what I see is an almost perfect color and happy looking plants except for the damage at the ends of your leaves. If you have not been feeding MC with every watering, start doing so... that is how this stuff works. Feeding more often would most likely give you a bit deeper of a color and would deal with the damage we are seeing. It is my belief that 6g/g is all the MC that is needed even at the peak of the grow cycle, but being new to the nute I still have my mind open to very large plants possibly needing more. In your case, start feeding with every watering and change nothing else, and lets see how they look in a week.

Does your MC have the little White balls in it?

Back
Top Bottom