Feral's Adventures In Homemade DWC - 2015 - 400W HPS

Hey everyone, sorry for being such a stranger lately, my son has been away for the week so i have taken the time to pull the whole house apart and clean it from top to bottom. i did manage to do some checks over the past few days but have not had any chances of getting pics as it has been really late every night (like 6am finishing). Again its 4am here and i am finally done, I will be back on tomorrow with all of the last weeks updates and more, things can finally get back on track with the girls. Hope you are all doing well, i will see you all tomorrow and will be stopping by all journals ;)

Wow.. that looks like an awesome set up. :blushsmile:

Time to catch up on missed time. Since around Dec 27th i have not had much time at all for the girls, they have been neglected a little and have only been checked on a couple of times, today i will be updating with all details since. There has been some major changes with the girls in this period, bare with me it may take a while to get through.

Dec 27th...
So starting today is one day after res changes. Temps in the tent are at 24c with a RH of 51%.
As you can see Atomic was starting to lean here again.

Clones: PH 6.0, EC 0.5

Screenshot_71.png

Atomic Bomb: PH 5.8, EC 2.7, Added 1.5L water.

Screenshot_24.png

Screenshot_33.png

Screenshot_43.png

Money Maker: PH 5.7, EC 2.8, Added 1L water.

Screenshot_51.png

Screenshot_61.png

Dec 30th...
So 3 days later was the next chance i got to actually check on the girls, i was expecting the worst but thankfully they were still very healthy, I did not have the time for photo's today. The temps in the tent were in the 25c range with a RH of 48%. Only Atomic and Money Maker checked today.

Atomic Bomb: PH 5.1, EC 3.7, Added 6L of water today, they were getting very low.

Money Maker: PH 5.2, EC 3.7, Also 6L of water added.

Jan 1st...
Another 2 days passed before i had another chance to check on the girls, Temps today were warmer at 28c and RH still sitting around 50%. Again i only checked in on Atomic and MM today with no photos. The main thing that took my time today was stringing Atomic up like a puppet, her branches are starting to struggle with the weight, also did a bit of defol to increase light to the center lower growth for more light and air-flow.

Atomic Bomb: PH 5.2, EC 2.8, Added another 4L water today.

Money Maker: PH 5.3, EC 3.1, Another 4L water added.

Jan 2nd...
So this brings us to today's updates, Temps were back in the 25c range RH has risen up to 64% but not sure if that was due to me leaving all of the leaves from defol yesterday in the bottom of the tent, i would guess so. Very hard to get an overall shot of the girls from the front due to the way i have my tents now.

Screenshot_8.png

Atomic Bomb: PH 5.6, EC 2.5, Added 1.5L water.

Screenshot_9.png

Screenshot_10.png

Money Maker: PH 5.4, EC 2.5, Added 1.5L water.

Screenshot_111.png

Screenshot_121.png

Great White Shark: PH 5.8, EC 2.7, Added 2L water, would like to mention this is her first check since 26th dec, did not grab any pics.

Clones:
They are looking awesome, i had to give them a turn away from each other as they were getting too bushy lol, res will be changed tomorrow and maybe even split into their own res. A little leaf curl noticed but not too worried, i have no ventilation in here right now and their nutes are pretty weak. PH 5.9, EC 0.4, Added 3L water today.

Screenshot_131.png

And that brings us up to date, sorry to leave you guys waiting but everything is back on track now ;)

Hope you all have a great day :Namaste:

Hey there Ladies and Gents, time for todays updates. Temps in the tent are at a nice 24c but with the rainy weather today humidity has stayed up around 69%. In the main girls tent today only Atomic and Money Maker were checked today so thats where i will begin ;)

Atomic Bomb:
PH 5.4, EC 2.9, Added 3.5L water.

Screenshot_161.png

Screenshot_141.png

Screenshot_151.png

Money Maker:
PH 5.2, EC 2.7, Added 2.5L water.

Screenshot_18.png

Screenshot_19.png

Screenshot_171.png

Screenshot_20.png

Clones:
So today i noticed the root systems on both clones were starting to tangle in the res, now is the time i want to separate them before it gets any worse. I Left Atomic#2 in the same res without changing anything out, PH 6.2, EC 0.4, im in no rush and dont need to start pumping nutes into her yet. Atomic#1 has been transplanted into her own DWC system now and will receive 1 week of grow nutes before switching to flower, Not sure if i will be covering that in this journal or making a new one just dedicated to feminized pollen and seed production.
Atomic#1 mix as follows:
14L water
7ml DM Silica
4.2ml DM Zone
42ml DM Add.27 Grow
7ml DM Gold Grow A
7ml DM Gold Grow B
PH set to 5.8, EC 0.8

Screenshot_211.png

Seems to be in a reasonably slow period of growth right now so i will be aiming for at least every second day for updates from now on unless i notice something worth mentioning hehe, on another note, my duct reducers arrived today for my new hood, now all i need is my bulb extender and should all be up and running. Now that atomic is tied up in the old tent i may just leave them in there until harvest, use the big tent to get my next seeds germinated and started in veg. Mainly trying to hold off till my next seed delivery arrives as there are some knockout strains i really want to get started on ;)

Enough babble from me lol, hope you are all having a great day :Namaste:

Gday everyone, just a few updates before I get in the tent in a few hours. Today i received everything needed to finish off my new tent setup, the duct reducers are much shorter than the others i bought so will probably use them and also the bulb extender arrived. I had the time yesterday to get down the hydro shop so managed to stock up on some much needed supplies, even found a couple of the Nutrifield net pot bucket lids so i will be using them on the next grow. Speaking of next grow, i finally started the germination process on 2 new seeds, first a Feminized HSO Lost Coast OG and the second a cream of the crop Purple Paralysis, which is what im still smoking and was grown by me 2 years ago outdoors, so far this is the 3rd seed i have found from her which yield was around 450g dry. Im not so sure the PP seed will germinate or not, i picked the most viable looking seed but may be too juvenile, worse comes to worse i have another fem PP seed from the seedbank i will germ or by then may have some new strains to work with ;)
So yes im still working with rockwool, at this point its working fine and have had 99% germ rate on seeds. I dont mess about with paper towels and transplanting tap roots etc, i like to have little to no disturbance until they are above ground, not sure if i have covered this before so here's what i do:
In a measuring jug i put 1L water, add 2ml Canna Rhizotonic and PH to around 6.0 (usually good enough for about 3 cubes, adjust depending on amount). I then drop my grodan cubes in with the outer paper still on, leave them in there for about 15 mins. After this i then take one out at a time and shake the shit out of it, trying to get as much moisture out of the cube as possible without crushing the cube, i do give it a gentle squeeze also but not enough to do any damage. Once the cube is moist, not wet, i grab a chopstick (lol have had these things in the kitchen drawer for years without use and now use them for everything from mixing nutes to blocking air lines lmfao) and bore out the hole in the center big enough for my seed, drop the seed in there and then use the chopstick to break up the top of the cube slightly and fill in the hole, very similar to pinching. Only thing i have found doing it this way is its very hard to have any moisture near the cubes without it soaking up, getting waterlogged and stinking, as you saw last time with the clones putting them in the 3" net pots with clay balls elevating them really helped so i have taken that same approach with the seeds, clay balls currently sit flush with the top of the cube but will be filled in once growth begins above ground. As soon as i see roots starting to protrude the 3" net pot, they will be transplanted into the nutrifield lids (netpots and all for less disturbance and also stabilization).

On another note, bought a new 2700K 130w CFL for the seed producers lol, definitely need to get a small tent for that setup, just need somewhere to put it :rofl: however cupboard may still be on the cards, just need to move some shit to our shed, running out of space fast lol
Once i get everything together i will be starting a few new journals rather than just the one, should hopefully keep me busy in there with them. Growing is my life lol, it really takes over and i love it, nothing chills me out more than spending time in there with the girls.

See you all real soon with some updates from today in the tent, will grab some pics of the completed setup etc when im done :Namaste:

First up, i need to make a dual exhaust for my window lol, I used some plywood cut it to fit the window and due to my tent setup i had to bring the vents right over to the left so i grabbed the trusty jigsaw out and went up the shed at midnight like a mad man :rofl: I have 2 vents, one is 6" the other 5" but i cut both holes to 6" in case i decide to upgrade the veg hood. After making as much noise as i could i then fitted both wall vents, plastic but the grilles will deflect any light downwards, also has a bug screen in there just in case any bugs try to defy gravity flying against the wind and then dodging a metal bladed fans :rofl:

Screenshot_241.png

I was planning on attaching the vents with clamps but they wouldnt go down to 5", will use them on the hood. Saying that, moving on to the hood ;) Starting from the start i have a 6" duct fan that pulls air from outside the tent, 6" duct leading to a white powder-coated reducer (8"-6" switched backwards to suit the 8" hood), followed by hood, back into another 8"-6" reducer and ducted directly out the 6" vent in my window. I decided to go with these reducers over the plain galvanized ones i received the other day, they are much shorter and actually fit the hood, will be a matter of pushing them on and taping around.

Screenshot_25.png

Screenshot_26.png

Now that all the duct work is done i remove the HPS globe i had already sitting in the OG hood and installed the bulb extender followed by the 600w MH lamp. After all, now that Atomic is tied up in the smaller tent i have to use the larger tent for veg, at least 3-4 weeks im guessing, hopefully should be enough time to get some decent veg growth for Atomic#2 and the new seeds i have germinating ;)
And now we are all up and running on the Nanolux 600w Digital ballast, Damn this thing is bright!! one thing that does worry me is the weight of the hood, the tent is bowing in the middle so will be making a trip to the hardware tomorrow and will run a support line from the roof where i will run a couple of extra support beams. I may even end up using the beams to support the hood which will take all the pressure off the tent and will give me a bit more height to work with, just means customizing the tent a little ;)

Screenshot_27.png

Screenshot_28.png

So now its like 3am and im tired so nothing done with the clones tonight, just put under the MH, will be monitoring temps tomorrow and a bit of a tie down.

Screenshot_29.png

Now time to move over to the main tent and grab the usual updates lol, gonna keep them pretty quick tonight and will only check Atomic and Money Maker. Todays temps are at 24c and humidity 67%, filling out nicely i must say.

Screenshot_30.png

Atomic Bomb:
PH 5.5, EC 2.5, Added 2L water.

Screenshot_311.png

Screenshot_321.png

Money Maker:
PH 5.2, EC 2.6, Added 3L water.

Screenshot_331.png

Screenshot_34.png

Screenshot_35.png

That about wraps up todays adventures, thanks for reading along yet again.
Hope all is well and you all have an amazing day :Namaste:

I decided to do some more updates tonight, mainly because im still dialing in the new tent so i will start there, Temps were up around 28c being a reasonably cool day i have been turning the fan up gradually but also setup my 7" oscillating fan to help air move a little, Humidity at 45%.

Clones:
Atomic #1: PH 5.6, EC 0.8, Stretched her limbs out and tied her down.
Atomic #2: PH 6.0, EC 0.4, Nothing done to her.
Both girls received a Liquid Light foliar spray today for the first time after everything was done and photos taken.

Screenshot_36.png

Screenshot_37.png

Flower tent
Today in the main tent temps are at 25c with a RH of 64%, first thing i did today was take pictures followed by a pretty decent defol on both Atomic and Money Maker, mainly to the guts just to allow more airflow and light. I am thinking this is the main reason for high humidity as if one leaf rests on another for a while then you separate them, it then leaves water on the other leaf, i mean wet not just moist. Now after the defol i should have waited to take pics as they look much better now lol, just means more will show in tomorrows updates ;)

Screenshot_38.png

Screenshot_39.png

Atomic Bomb:
PH 5.6, EC 2.6, Added 2L water.

Screenshot_40.png

Screenshot_411.png

Money Maker:
PH 5.5, EC 2.4, Added 1L water.

Screenshot_421.png

Screenshot_431.png

Great White Shark:
PH 5.7, EC 2.6, Added 1L water. No photos of her taken today, tbh there probably will not be any more of her until harvest, too hard to get a decent pic without damaging the main girls.

Thats it for today, Did not get to the hardware like i wanted to but the tent seems to be holding up and has not bowed any more, can leave it go for a few days i think. Hope you all have a great day, Laters :thumb:

Nicely tied.

Looking good!

Thanks Rad :)
I checked on her about 2 hours after this and all her tops were pointing back up towards the light, looking real nice. I will probably cut back all the middle growth at a later date, should give me 5 evenly spaced tops to mess with hehe.

Bonza needs to stop having sales :( 50% off everything at the moment so i couldnt help myself lol, thats 3 big orders in the past month. If you have not guessed, yep im addicted to collecting seeds too lmao, about 30 new strains to work with on their way :rofl:

Thanks Rad :)
I checked on her about 2 hours after this and all her tops were pointing back up towards the light, looking real nice. I will probably cut back all the middle growth at a later date, should give me 5 evenly spaced tops to mess with hehe.

Bonza needs to stop having sales :( 50% off everything at the moment so i couldnt help myself lol, thats 3 big orders in the past month. If you have not guessed, yep im addicted to collecting seeds too lmao, about 30 new strains to work with on their way :rofl:

I wanted to buy 1 seed last month. Actually one seed and two freebies for $9 + shipping.
and the wife said "You have a dozen seeds almost 2 years old, why don't you use them up first?"
and I'm like, "Because this is a 2:1 CBD Sativa strain and those aren't even feminized!"
sigh

I wanted to buy 1 seed last month. Actually one seed and two freebies for $9 + shipping.
and the wife said "You have a dozen seeds almost 2 years old, why don't you use them up first?"
and I'm like, "Because this is a 2:1 CBD Sativa strain and those aren't even feminized!"
sigh

I know what thats like hehe, I have a few bags (sandwich size bags) full of seeds i "could" use but...

This is stuff we have been growing for like 20 years and its rough, i mean rough lol, tastes like pepper. Every now and then is great for a buzz and eases some pain but easily become used to it, i mean smoke it today it wont do a thing tomorrow, Its all about variety :) When i first started purchasing seeds online, about 5 years ago, i was buying one at a time and postage was costing me a fortune so now i wait for seedbank specials and save up for a bulk purchase. I have probably spent way too much on seeds but im hoping to produce my own seeds from each strain making it a one off cost, become self sufficient and maybe even mix up some crazy genetics lol.

Hi there everyone, some updates for today.

Clones:
In the tent, temps at 30c with 52% humidity. I decided to turn the nanolux ballast down to 50%, such intense light not really needed at this stage.

Screenshot_44.png

Atomic#1: Looking good today, could do with some more color but not worried at this point. PH 5.2 then raised to 5.8 with an EC still sitting at 0.8.

Screenshot_45.png

Atomic#2: Showing her first signs of deficiencies, not sure on the def but definitely due to the res. Res was filled at 1/2 of the recommended week 1 dose on 10th dec and a small amount of nutes added on the 22nd, not a thing has been done since and i have been meaning to change it out for a few days now, the old res even looked like plain water, no signs of color like the usual DM nute mix but also nice and healthy root zone with no signs of algae forming. Mix was exactly the same as Atomic#1 transplant 4 days ago, PH set to 5.8 with an EC of 0.8.

Screenshot_46.png

Flower Tent:
Temps today are at 27c with a RH of 58%, has dropped since yesterdays defol. Only small updates today, mainly wanted to grab some pics after the defol lol, still really bushy but looking a lot nicer now. Didnt bother checking GWS today.

Screenshot_47.png

Atomic Bomb:
PH 5.4, EC 2.6, Added 2L water.

Screenshot_48.png

Screenshot_49.png

Screenshot_501.png

Money Maker:
PH 5.2, EC 2.4, Added 2L water. PH is starting to get a bit low, however tomorrow marks 2 weeks since last res change out so if i get the time i will get it done.

Screenshot_511.png

Screenshot_52.png

Screenshot_53.png

Thanks again for stopping buy, have a great day ;)

I know what thats like hehe, I have a few bags (sandwich size bags) full of seeds i "could" use but...

This is stuff we have been growing for like 20 years and its rough, i mean rough lol, tastes like pepper. Every now and then is great for a buzz and eases some pain but easily become used to it, i mean smoke it today it wont do a thing tomorrow, Its all about variety :) When i first started purchasing seeds online, about 5 years ago, i was buying one at a time and postage was costing me a fortune so now i wait for seedbank specials and save up for a bulk purchase. I have probably spent way too much on seeds but im hoping to produce my own seeds from each strain making it a one off cost, become self sufficient and maybe even mix up some crazy genetics lol.

I am able to keep clones alive from most of the seeds, so I am not buying one plant, but a repeating grow of a single plant, over and over again.

I am able to keep clones alive from most of the seeds, so I am not buying one plant, but a repeating grow of a single plant, over and over again.

Thats it mate, that was my plan initially to keep a mother and take clones for flower room and just keep it going but now I am already running out of space lol. I probably will end up doing this when i have found a few strains i really like, as i said we have been growing the same stuff for like 20 years, only the past few years i have been able to afford 1-2 premium seeds for each outdoor season (even my last indoor grow - Exodus Cheese - was a freebie). Only being relatively new to indoor growing i have never been able to keep a plant alive for more than 1 outdoor season due to the frosts we get in winter so this is all new to me, if i can get this fem seed thing going i figured i can keep them in seed form, would be much easier on space. I usually wouldnt spend so much on the things but had a bit of money left over from xmas and with all the strains i have on their way, by rights i should never really have to buy a seed again unless i start growing autos hehe

Thats it mate, that was my plan initially to keep a mother and take clones for flower room and just keep it going but now I am already running out of space lol. I probably will end up doing this when i have found a few strains i really like, as i said we have been growing the same stuff for like 20 years, only the past few years i have been able to afford 1-2 premium seeds for each outdoor season (even my last indoor grow - Exodus Cheese - was a freebie). Only being relatively new to indoor growing i have never been able to keep a plant alive for more than 1 outdoor season due to the frosts we get in winter so this is all new to me, if i can get this fem seed thing going i figured i can keep them in seed form, would be much easier on space. I usually wouldnt spend so much on the things but had a bit of money left over from xmas and with all the strains i have on their way, by rights i should never really have to buy a seed again unless i start growing autos hehe

Keeping in seed form is a good plan.

I don't do mothers. That would take up two more veg lights.
I clone the plant before going into flower, grow the clone out, then clone again before going into flower.

Back
Top Bottom