Fuzznutter's Organic Photos & Autos: Take 1

Nice. Once this plant is rooted it is hard to get them. Good hob with the clones! :thumb: :love: :Namaste:

Right now, I need the buds, so...bottled nutes it is. Also, as you all know, my tired tush is more than ready to simplify things, especially going into the busy, stressful holiday season.

I can sure respect those words.... especially right after all the turkey.

This is what happens when you put a newly rooted clone directly next to a fan.

Ouch.
Cloning in pure perlite gives me a chance to really harden them off before I put them in their final grow pot. I get them growing well in the uncovered clone container before I move them. Makes them a bit heartier.

Ouch.
Cloning in pure perlite gives me a chance to really harden them off before I put them in their final grow pot. I get them growing well in the uncovered clone container before I move them. Makes them a bit heartier.

I managed to get clones to root in a perlite/vermiculite mix once, but I had so much trouble transplanting without excessively disturbing the roots I never tried again. I should have cut the cup bottom off and up the side, planted it cup and all, and then removed the cup like I did for the photos early on this grow but I never thought of it at the time. How do you handle the transplant?

It's not organic anymore. :( I haven't tried Superthrive. It's probably too late now but I'll look into it for future use. Thanks!

Just for you my dear, I took close-up pictures of the Dark Devil (1) buds.

Here is how most of the buds look.
2016-11-21_normal.jpg

This is how the 3 suspicious buds look. Is this how yours look?
2016-11-21_suspicious.jpg

Please ignore the cat hair. My white kitty had a nice rub against the plants last night when I took them out to look for the male culprit - which I could not find.

In other news though, notice the baby trichomes! :slide:

Now for my bad news. I have given up and thrown in the towel on organic. This coir mix just isn't reacting like a normal organic soil mix should. Frankly, I'm tired of the extra work with round the clock teas because, despite the amendments I've added, it never seems to be quite enough nutrients. The plants always look like they could use a bit more, and I'm constantly fighting pH, calcium and magnesium issues. When I went looking for answers, I came across this study that suggests there are multiple issues with coir vs peat. If I could start over, I'd use peat moss for organic. Ahh, regrets...

Obviously, I can't remove the coir for this grow, so the fight will continue until the end. However, I believe I can get a better handle on the situation with bottled nutes. In fact, after a discussion with mouser yesterday evening, I fed the autos bottled last night and they already look better this morning.

I feel really bad about giving up. I don't like quitting something. However, I had to weigh whether I wanted to continue with a method that was not providing optimal results or change methods in an attempt to optimize my harvest. Right now, I need the buds, so...bottled nutes it is. Also, as you all know, my tired tush is more than ready to simplify things, especially going into the busy, stressful holiday season.

Don't feel bad. :hug::hug::hug: Life's a long series of science experiments. Your bad feeling is based on your erroneous sense that you failed in some way, but the truth is there is no such thing as failure. What we call failure is simply a mechanism for feedback to help us find our proper footing on our true path.

As you've noticed, I'm having similar issues with my clones, or was. I'm not sure if that'll be a concern anymore since I decided to toss everything else aside with the clones in LOS and make an effort to get as much comfrey and stinging nettle into the soils as I safely could. It may save that part of the grow.

The reason Doc's Kit works for me with smaller pots is because it's essentially an organic nutrient system that can meet the soil needs, so in peat I can get a community established and feed them with the drenches and foliars, just the way you do with bottled nutrients. They bristle at the idea that the kit is a nute line, but it is, just handled differently. And organic, a prime consideration. From now on I'll be sure to make all my small pots kit soil.

Your DDA is about three weeks or so out, from the turn of the pistils. What's her date?

Which brings me, the long way around :laughtwo: to what I wanted to tell you. The DDA will have pistil change going on at different stages on the plant. Don't be concerned about it and stop driving yourself crazy trying to find a male that probably isn't there. I always get ready to start harvesting mine in a rolling fashion, but talk myself out of it and wait it out. It's just gone into the harvest window, which can extend for upwards to a month, if you're the adventurous type. Lol!

Don't feel bad. :hug::hug::hug: Life's a long series of science experiments. Your bad feeling is based on your erroneous sense that you failed in some way, but the truth is there is no such thing as failure. What we call failure is simply a mechanism for feedback to help us find our proper footing on our true path.

As you've noticed, I'm having similar issues with my clones, or was. I'm not sure if that'll be a concern anymore since I decided to toss everything else aside with the clones in LOS and make an effort to get as much comfrey and stinging nettle into the soils as I safely could. It may save that part of the grow.

The reason Doc's Kit works for me with smaller pots is because it's essentially an organic nutrient system that can meet the soil needs, so in peat I can get a community established and feed them with the drenches and foliars, just the way you do with bottled nutrients. They bristle at the idea that the kit is a nute line, but it is, just handled differently. And organic, a prime consideration. From now on I'll be sure to make all my small pots kit soil.

Your DDA is about three weeks or so out, from the turn of the pistils. What's her date?

Which brings me, the long way around :laughtwo: to what I wanted to tell you. The DDA will have pistil change going on at different stages on the plant. Don't be concerned about it and stop driving yourself crazy trying to find a male that probably isn't there. I always get ready to start harvesting mine in a rolling fashion, but talk myself out of it and wait it out. It's just gone into the harvest window, which can extend for upwards to a month, if you're the adventurous type. Lol!

:hug: Thank you.

The Dark Devils are 42 and 44 days old today. The buds are starting to fill out now. No additional buds have shown a fast pistil change so, male or not, at least it's only affecting a couple buds. I'm going to try and get new pictures this evening.

:circle-of-love:

I managed to get clones to root in a perlite/vermiculite mix once, but I had so much trouble transplanting without excessively disturbing the roots I never tried again. I should have cut the cup bottom off and up the side, planted it cup and all, and then removed the cup like I did for the photos early on this grow but I never thought of it at the time. How do you handle the transplant?

One could cut the cup away... easy 'nuff.
I float them out. Plug the outlet hole, fill container with water, jiggle seedling out.
One can float them out easier by using a tub or other large bowl like container and submerging the entire cup for a moment and really loosen everything up.
It's about loosening up that medium so the roots can float fairly freely. Probably easier in a pure perlite mix... I could see the verm/perl mix holding onto the roots much more firmly.
After I get her out, I dig a hole in the medium of her new home big enough to accommodate the length of the roots, hold her above the hole at the height I want, and fill in the hole with perl.

Super easy all around and well suited for the lazy gardener.

Hey Fuzznutter, :passitleft:

hope your turkey day was good.

It was yummy! :thanks:

:hug: hope your day was beautiful and happy (sisters ok I hope) :hug:

It was very peaceful. My sisters are doing okay. They could be better, but they could be worse. Baby steps. :hug:

One could cut the cup away... easy 'nuff.
I float them out. Plug the outlet hole, fill container with water, jiggle seedling out.
One can float them out easier by using a tub or other large bowl like container and submerging the entire cup for a moment and really loosen everything up.
It's about loosening up that medium so the roots can float fairly freely. Probably easier in a pure perlite mix... I could see the verm/perl mix holding onto the roots much more firmly.
After I get her out, I dig a hole in the medium of her new home big enough to accommodate the length of the roots, hold her above the hole at the height I want, and fill in the hole with perl.

Super easy all around and well suited for the lazy gardener.

Huh, floating them out. That's a great idea! I never thought of that either. :passitleft:

Time for another update! First, I made a change to the photo closet. Due to the negative pressure, the panda film was getting sucked in somewhat to the photo closet. It wasn't a big deal at first, but now that the plants are bigger (at least SH2), the film was pressing against some of the branches more than I liked. My ghetto fix: a PVC pipe installed right behind the panda film. I cut it about half an inch shorter than the closet length. Then I installed a single screw on one side that the PVC pipe fits over. On the other side I put 2 screws in the wall and created a gorilla tape hammock for the PVC pipe to nestle in. This way the bar stays in position but is super easy to take out when I need to remove tall plants from the closet. It's working well to prevent the panda film from billowing into the closet.

Photo_closet.jpg

PHOTOS - DAY 61 (I took the pictures last night. Today is actually day 62.)

CBD Skunk Haze: SH1 on the left and SH2 on the right. Look at that difference in height. It just goes to show each seed is it's own individual. :blalol:
2016-11-25_Photos.jpg

SH1
2016-11-25_SH1.jpg

SH2
2016-11-25_SH2.jpg

SH1 just does not want to grow up. She has a lot of bud sites though so I'm hoping she'll stretch a decent amount in flower. They're both getting flipped on Dec. 1. I want to get another photo grow started and finished before things get too hot in mid to late summer. If that's going to happen, these ladies need to start flowering soon.

AUTOS
A view of them all together. From left to right: DD1, DD2, BG
2016-11-25_Autos.jpg

The Dark Devils. These are my problem children. As you can see, I'm having some issues keeping them as happy as the other plants. They're still budding though so that's what matters most.
2016-11-25_Dark_Devils.jpg

Dark Devil (1) - Day 44
2016-11-25_DD1.jpg

Dark Devil (2) - Day 42
2016-11-25_DD2.jpg

Bubble Gum - Day 44
2016-11-25_BGtop.jpg

2016-11-25_BGbud.jpg

Sorry the photos aren't better. Some persistent hand tremors are challenging me this week. For the next photo shoot, I'll try to brace the camera somehow so it can better focus.

I forgot pictures of the clones. I split the first two clones up so they each have their own pan. Together they used water much too fast. I'm hoping that giving them each their own reservoir will help. One of these clones is in the photo tent and will flower with the Skunk Hazes on Dec. 1. The other is in the auto closet and will be my mother plant. I fed the third, previously wilted clone to my worms. Despite her perking and greening up again, she wasn't rooting. Sadly, she wasn't worth the effort or space.

Something else I did differently this week was how I water the plants. Before I used a cup to pour water slowly into the pots. Because these plants are so low to the pot this has become increasingly challenging as the plants have gotten larger. In desperation I bought a manual siphoning pump. It's basically 2 hoses with a squeezy hand pump in the middle. I put one end in the bucket of water. Then the other end I feed below the plant and squirt water around. Squeeze. Splurt. Reposition. Squeeze. Splurt. It's made watering so much faster and easier on my back since it extends my reach and I don't have to lean in as much.

Because this makes watering easier, I've decided to go back to traditional Hempy with the next grow. So far the fabric pots are working well in the Fempy experiment, but they have to be watered more frequently. I think half of it is just evaporating off the pot. With the help of my new hand pump, the plastic buckets will be less work. My brave husband went out yesterday and bought a bunch of 2-gallon food-grade buckets for me. (Note: I did not send him out into the chaos of Black Friday just for them though. That would be wrong. :laughtwo:) I'll get these buckets ready in the next couple weeks and start my next Auto grow with them.

I do believe that's everything new this week. Everyone have another great day!

Oh my...You've now got a lot going on. Those Dark Devils look good. A couple more weeks and they'll be glowing in sweet darkness. You're going to love DDA. It might make hand tremors feel more comfortable.

Great freaking job Fuzzy! Looking really good. :high-five:

When I was taking one of the Dark Devils out of the closet last night, one of them brushed against my bare shoulder. Oh my gosh. It smelled sooo fruity and delicious! I wanted to eat my own shoulder. Cannibalism has never been more appealing to me. :laughtwo:

:thanks:

When I was taking one of the Dark Devils out of the closet last night, one of them brushed against my bare shoulder. Oh my gosh. It smelled sooo fruity and delicious! I wanted to eat my own shoulder. Cannibalism has never been more appealing to me. :laughtwo:

:thanks:

Everything I hear about these points at the fact that I totally fudged my DDA grow. The cured fluffiness smells like tea...Im told this is normal? Im going to have to try again...if I didnt have a stupid number of clones in the works Id drop a seed now. If I can move all the clones out fast I'll have room to do an auto or 2...maybe a red poison as well?
:peacetwo:

Everything I hear about these points at the fact that I totally fudged my DDA grow. The cured fluffiness smells like tea...Im told this is normal? Im going to have to try again...if I didnt have a stupid number of clones in the works Id drop a seed now. If I can move all the clones out fast I'll have room to do an auto or 2...maybe a red poison as well?

Is it at least a good tea? How long of a cure? I've had some buds go into the jars not smelling special but come out of the jars weeks or months later with a scent close to how they smelled before chop. Did yours ever smell fruity? For a short while my DD1 had undertones of chocolate to her odor. I knew it probably wouldn't last, but it was lovely for the few days it was there. :yummy:

I have a Red Poison Auto lined up and ready to go as well when these autos are done. She'll be joined by a Black Jack Auto and a Jack 47 Auto. I've never tried these strains so it should be another exciting grow!

Is it at least a good tea? How long of a cure? I've had some buds go into the jars not smelling special but come out of the jars weeks or months later with a scent close to how they smelled before chop. Did yours ever smell fruity? For a short while my DD1 had undertones of chocolate to her odor. I knew it probably wouldn't last, but it was lovely for the few days it was there. :yummy:

I have a Red Poison Auto lined up and ready to go as well when these autos are done. She'll be joined by a Black Jack Auto and a Jack 47 Auto. I've never tried these strains so it should be another exciting grow!

:/ My DDAs had a difficult life. I was learning new lights, new ferts, a new medium. I dove off the deep end and left my swimmies at the pier. What I harvested had no denseness at all, and still smells like tea. It works...but with no real taste, or odor, I choose something else.

Since then I and my soil/mix has evolved...rather than work toward what I used first, Im looking at it more like both ends are moving toward eachother. Each grow has improved soil, and improved understanding...hopefully coming together at some point.

Im sure I can do a DDA proud now :)

:/ My DDAs had a difficult life. I was learning new lights, new ferts, a new medium. I dove off the deep end and left my swimmies at the pier. What I harvested had no denseness at all, and still smells like tea. It works...but with no real taste, or odor, I choose something else.

Since then I and my soil/mix has evolved...rather than work toward what I used first, Im looking at it more like both ends are moving toward eachother. Each grow has improved soil, and improved understanding...hopefully coming together at some point.

Im sure I can do a DDA proud now :)

"...left my swimmies at the pier" :rofl: I like that saying.

I'm sure your next Dark Devil will be amazing.

Back
Top Bottom