GG7's Indoor/Outdoor Grows!

Ya i wouldn't worry to much unless it starts spreading im a outdoors grower i run into some funky leaf things but if the over all health of the plant is good don't worry your outdoor plants look amazing i dont have a journal but just put up some new picks in my gallery ive got some 9 foot lucys and I believe my ladies are having babies i see hairs all over them WOOOOO HOOOOOOOO a little early this year but ill take it :) :peace:

Hey! Thanks Man! The plant just loves our environment I guess, since I really don't do anything special for the outdoor grows. Just water them regularly with the backyard hose and feed them three times a month. These days I tend to feed them Organic Kelp Extract and Fish Emulsion at the recommend amounts per gallon mixed together every 10 days or so.

Congrats on the early flowering! :bravo:

Always nice to get a jump on that. My two original Purple Urkles have been covered in the little pairs of hairs for a few weeks now, but no sign of any flower tops starting. Even the Urkle in the Bloom Room seems to be taking its sweet time flowering.

I just got done trimming off all those funky looking leaves on the Blueberries. Now the plants look totally normal to the eye! We shall see if the Clearex flush makes any difference in the number of NEW leaves showing the same discoloration and mottling this time next week.

I still have not been able to find a Cannabis leaf problem photo on the web that matches the look of those funky Blueberry leaves. :hmmmm:

I think I thought about posting this, but didn't... Sorry if this is redundancy!

I remember hearing that BB is fairly sensitive to nutrients... Don't remember where... I think it may have been in this article somewhere on the internet that is made by DJ Short, who was the guy who bred out BB... Anywho, the article is about the whole breeding project that developed BB.

Then again, the leaves on most plants usually turn a bit ugly during flower, don't they? "Eat themselves" is the term I remember hearing.

Oh well, your flowers are looking absolutely lovely! Between your grow and OMM's I am just as jealous as a!.. Uh, a jealous person! I've got bud-envy!

I think I thought about posting this, but didn't... Sorry if this is redundancy!

I remember hearing that BB is fairly sensitive to nutrients... Don't remember where... I think it may have been in this article somewhere on the internet that is made by DJ Short, who was the guy who bred out BB... Anywho, the article is about the whole breeding project that developed BB.

Then again, the leaves on most plants usually turn a bit ugly during flower, don't they? "Eat themselves" is the term I remember hearing.

Oh well, your flowers are looking absolutely lovely! Between your grow and OMM's I am just as jealous as a!.. Uh, a jealous person! I've got bud-envy!

:thanks: :thumb:

I will see if I can track down that article!

Yes! In my experience, plants all begin to "eat themselves" towards the end of the flowering cycle (6-8 weeks in), but these BBKs started with this leaf thing right around the Week 3 point.

Based on what I am seeing so far with this Blueberry in flower, it does seem to be a lot more sensitive to nutes than I am used to with other strains in flower. I am very conservative with the amount of nutes I give flowering plants because I want as little of that stuff in my bud as possible. As a result, I feed them mainly FoxFarm Big Bloom which is basically worm castings and Bat Guano.

It is low in Nitrogen, but you generally want a low Ni fert for flowering. If it is a note issue, it is probably because I started with the Big Bloom too early. I should have stuck with plain water until maybe week 4 or 5.

Thanks again for the suggestion! I was already leaning towards the concept that the Blueberry strain is somewhat more finicky about all this stuff when it is flowering. This is particularly interesting because as you guys already know, during veg, these two plants were the most luscious and healthy and were fed primarily tap water and very little else.

Hey! AuG7! Your slipping up man! This is the first time I have ever seen you on the second page of the Journals in Progress! :bitingnails:

Just kidding! I'd be trippin' to call you slippin'! You never seem to miss a beat ;).

I was going to post this last night on my step-mother's Ipad, but I got distracted... Let me see if I can remember all the points... Well, first off, I found the article. It was by DJ Short. It's definitely out there on the net, but if you can't find it I will PM it to you.

Secondly! I have been wondering for a while.. Sorry if this is redundant (man, I have all these senior moments at 24... the future doesn't look good) but as I have said.. Been wondering, is Blueberry Kush... As you call your lovely ladies from time to time... The same as Blueberry? And here is where I go off the deep end...

I cannot seem to find a thing on Blueberry Kush.. I have been thinking, maybe it is referred to that due to it's indica lineage.. From what I remember reading, the BB breading project came out of, mainly and at first, Thai strains... Which would be mainly Sativa. The indica came later, I think,(though it seems to dominate 80% of its pedigree!). When I did further research into the lineage, both parents came from a mixture of two different Thai phenotypes bred with Afghan plants. I did not see anymore information on the Afghan plants, though they very well may have been from the Kushan region.. Which is in parts of Afghanistan and Pakistan ( I think, geography isn't my best subject). Phew, now that that is done with, I must say none of this really matters. Just a simple inquiry that became more complicated since I didn't want to ask it if I could find the answer myself.

I must apologize to you! I am going to be breaking my promise! I will not be doing the "comparative" grow I promised in my second grow. Probably when I leave Hawaii (or get my own place) I will do so... But not in the foreseeable future. The plan (if you were wondering) is to build a tent... Get some air pots (either 1.5gal or 2gal), some Fox Fire soil, OC+, a cheap 400watt magnetic ballast, a hood, and a 400watt Ceramic Metal Halide... Then see what happens! Gonna be growing 12/12 from seed. Well... Not really, maybe 2 weeks of veg. Gonna PM you about specifics on this.

If you have any advice, I would love to hear it! To get you on the reason for changing from using Fluorescence... Well, its just a matter of costs/ ease... As well as a matter of light penetration. Besides, I have found less information on CMH and Dual Arc bulbs and I absolutely love new technology! Seeing as the spectrum is larger for CHM, that is the one I wish to deal with.

I kind of feel sad about not using Florescent lighting, I really like the idea of multiple bulbs and having the control of the spectrum. I was planning on having mostly Flower spectrum but also blue spec. and one or two UVB bulbs to help in resin production.

Phew! Long posts in both your thread and in OMM's! Sorry about that! I really hope all is going well for you. The August contests are up!!! I really hope you will be submitting for the plant and nug of the month. There is a surprise in member of the month for you! :) Talk to you later my friend.

Weekend Update #1 • The Bloom Room
Flowers, Flowers Everywhere!

I wanted to jump right into this with the photos I took earlier this morning, so without further ado...

HERE WE GO!

Blueberry Kush Week #5

P1011092.JPG
P1011093.JPG
P1011084.JPG
P1011086.JPG
P1011085.JPG

Notice the difference in leaf color between the colas above and these?

P1011087.JPG
P1011088.JPG
P1011089.JPG
P1011090.JPG

This significant contrast between the dark green leaves of these flower clusters and the leaf yellowing of others on the SAME PLANT is what has made diagnosing the Blueberry malidy very difficult. I am leaning more and more towards the idea that this is just the way this strain behaves during flowering. A much faster rate of Nitrogen pullback from the fan leaves than other strains at the same stage of the flowering cycle, and apparently, a somewhat selective process to boot!

Grand Daddy Purple #2 Week #4

P1011094.JPG
P1011095.JPG

The Trichomes are all over the place on this thing now at Week #4. It is easy to see why this is such a popular strain!

Purple Urkle Week #3

P1011096.JPG
P1011097.JPG

This strain has proven to be the most difficult to work with of anything I have ever grown. While the plants themselves are hearty growers and clone well, their tendency to climb like vines and remain somewhat sparsely branched unless heavily pruned is leading me to the decision to make this my last Urkle grow. Unless the buds from these plants prove to be out of this world, I prefer to stick to stains that are easier to manage within an Indoor/Outdoor growing scenario.

Well... That concludes the first of our updates for the weekend of August 5th! Stay tuned to our next installment that will focus on the status of all the plants that recently came out of the Turbo Klone! I think you will be surprised at how BIG they all have gotten already!

Stay tuned!

P.S. Thanks a million for the Member of the Month nomination THSea! :thumb:!

I haven't forgotten to reply to your post... Just wanted to get this update posted first.

Stay tuned!

Cheers. :circle-of-love:

Hey! AuG7! Your slipping up man! This is the first time I have ever seen you on the second page of the Journals in Progress! :bitingnails:

Just kidding! I'd be trippin' to call you slippin'! You never seem to miss a beat ;).

I was going to post this last night on my step-mother's Ipad, but I got distracted... Let me see if I can remember all the points... Well, first off, I found the article. It was by DJ Short. It's definitely out there on the net, but if you can't find it I will PM it to you.

Secondly! I have been wondering for a while.. Sorry if this is redundant (man, I have all these senior moments at 24... the future doesn't look good) but as I have said.. Been wondering, is Blueberry Kush... As you call your lovely ladies from time to time... The same as Blueberry? And here is where I go off the deep end...

I cannot seem to find a thing on Blueberry Kush.. I have been thinking, maybe it is referred to that due to it's indica lineage.. From what I remember reading, the BB breading project came out of, mainly and at first, Thai strains... Which would be mainly Sativa. The indica came later, I think,(though it seems to dominate 80% of its pedigree!). When I did further research into the lineage, both parents came from a mixture of two different Thai phenotypes bred with Afghan plants. I did not see anymore information on the Afghan plants, though they very well may have been from the Kushan region.. Which is in parts of Afghanistan and Pakistan ( I think, geography isn't my best subject). Phew, now that that is done with, I must say none of this really matters. Just a simple inquiry that became more complicated since I didn't want to ask it if I could find the answer myself.

I must apologize to you! I am going to be breaking my promise! I will not be doing the "comparative" grow I promised in my second grow. Probably when I leave Hawaii (or get my own place) I will do so... But not in the foreseeable future. The plan (if you were wondering) is to build a tent... Get some air pots (either 1.5gal or 2gal), some Fox Fire soil, OC+, a cheap 400watt magnetic ballast, a hood, and a 400watt Ceramic Metal Halide... Then see what happens! Gonna be growing 12/12 from seed. Well... Not really, maybe 2 weeks of veg. Gonna PM you about specifics on this.

If you have any advice, I would love to hear it! To get you on the reason for changing from using Fluorescence... Well, its just a matter of costs/ ease... As well as a matter of light penetration. Besides, I have found less information on CMH and Dual Arc bulbs and I absolutely love new technology! Seeing as the spectrum is larger for CHM, that is the one I wish to deal with.

I kind of feel sad about not using Florescent lighting, I really like the idea of multiple bulbs and having the control of the spectrum. I was planning on having mostly Flower spectrum but also blue spec. and one or two UVB bulbs to help in resin production.

Phew! Long posts in both your thread and in OMM's! Sorry about that! I really hope all is going well for you. The August contests are up!!! I really hope you will be submitting for the plant and nug of the month. There is a surprise in member of the month for you! :) Talk to you later my friend.

Hey! Thanks for all the info THSea!

I've tried to limit my updates to a couple per weekend because I didn't want to clutter up the journal with too many photos showing little change. Right now, everything I have going on is showing marked changes in a 7 day period, so that is why the journal has been light on the updates lately. ;)

I REALLY appreaciate your research into the Blueberry liniage and history behind the strain. I find the reference to Afghan a bit odd though since all the Afghanny buds I have seeing on a living plant tend to have very large and not very dense hairs on the flower tops. Far less coverage that what I am seeing with my plants. These are very close to the Blue Cheese plant we all know and love in terms of the density of the flower tops when fully developed.

In terms of the "KUSH" aspect... I got these from our local collective at the same time as the Purple Urkle, and that is what they called them. I had never heard of Blueberry Kush before that either. With all the strain names being tossed around these days, it is getting harder and harder to know what the hell you are actually getting! I have seen enough Blueberry Diesel and others in the family to know that these are DEFINITELY Blueberry plants. The KUSH part could have just been slapped on there to make them seem more exotic? Who knows what goes through the minds of some of the growers who supply the stores! ;) I am just sticking withthe name they gave me when I picked them up.

As for your change in grow plans... Definitely go ahead and PM me and we can discuss the specifics. Halide would definitely give you far better penetration, but then you have to deal with the significantly higher heat dissipation issues, which depending on your location may be too much to deal with, and could actually pose a fire hazzard! You gotta be careful with the high output bulbs and the radiant heat they put off. Ever considered LEDs? Talk about ZERO heat issues! ;)

Lastly, :thanks: for the Member of the Month nimination! :thumb: I am humbled that you would do something like that! :) I'm kind of torn though since several of the regulars to this journal who are also friends of both of us have ALSO been nominated this month! Astoner420 & stevehman. Both of whom I have had some great discussions with over the last two months since I joined the site! :)

I'll be looking for your PMs when you get a chance to send them over.

Cheers and thanks again! :bravo:

Looking great Goose, and congrats on the MOTM nom!!

Thanks GT! That was a surprise!

I appreciate you stopping by and having a look at the latest progress shots! :Namaste:

might i add im drooling

:Namaste:

They are getting close to that point now aren't they? ;)

yes, the drool is takin over my keyboard

:laughtwo:

Thanks again for checking in you guys! I will have my second weekend update ready to post a little later this morning so check back later! I will update all the outdoor stuff as well as a report on our second cloning session's progress!

Stay tuned! :cheer:

Weekend Update #2!
Cloning Progress - Outdoor Grows

As promised, here are the latest photo updates from the various activities going on around here...

Turbo Klone Session #2 - Day 6

All the clones are doing well with no issues. Just now starting to see signs of root bud development, but too small to capture on camera. We have added 3ml of Roots Excelerator to the reservoir in order to boost root production heading into the final 10 days of the cloning session. Next weekend should see some possible root spikes if all goes well!

Cloner Specifics entering week #2:

Water Temp: 70-72 degrees F
PH: 5.5 to 5.7
Pump Run Time Cycle: 3 Minutes
Pump OFF Time Cycle: 8 minutes

P1011117.JPG
P1011120.JPG
P1011118.JPG
P1011119.JPG

Cloning Session #1 Progress Report

The plants from the last clone session...

Remember this sad little growing tip from our original Blueberry #1? It sat for weeks like this until we removed it from the Rockwool cube and put it into the T48 with our other cuttings for the last 10 days of the session. Root spikes developed quickly in the cloner.

Blueberry_top_at_10_days.JPG

Now look at it!

P1011103.JPG

Here are some other BEFORE and AFTER shots...

P1010936.JPG

P1011100.JPG

P1010943.JPG

P1011132.JPG

Most of the clones after transplant 18 days ago...

P1010926.JPG

Today! :love:

P1011106.JPG

P1011102.JPG
P1011104.JPG
P1011105.JPG

P1011101.JPG

Other Plants Out Back

(left to right) Grand Daddy Purple #3, #1, Northern Lights #1 on Back Hill

P1011083.JPG

White Rhino #2 Approaching the 8 Foot Mark!

P1011116.JPG

So far none of the plants grown from seed including the White Rhino above have shown any sign of their sex yet. Nodes are just starting to become Asymetrical, so hopefully soon!

So there ya have it for this week! :rocker:

We will be back next weekend with another update! Stay tuned! :Namaste:

Looking good over here. Your clones look very healthy, like they have not missed a beat. :yahoo::bravo:

Congradulations on MOTM nomination. You got my vote.

Hey! Thanks Homey! ;)

I am really pleased with how well the clones are doing after coming out of the Turbo Klone. Talk about a 180 degree from how SLOW all my Rockwool clones were with growing after being planted in soil. Some of the T48 clones are actually starting to catch up to the first gen clones now! :laughtwo:

Oh! I also wanted to post a few additional close-up Flower Photos that I forgot to upload from my Friday "Bloom Room" update.

Here they are!

GDP #2 Main Cola
P1011143.JPG

Blueberry 1 & 2 - Assorted Colas

P1011137.JPG
P1011138.JPG
P1011140.JPG
P1011141.JPG
P1011144.JPG

Holy carp and mackerel! Those clones have shot off!

You know I will be PM'ing you about the whole shebang I intend to do, so I will keep that out of your thread! :) Thanks for the help!

I really think you earned the MotM nomination bro! Like I said when I nom'ed you... You hit the ground running! You joined like two months ago and already have several threads to help others and contributed great reviews in the review thread! And even innovated that a bit by adding growing advice for the strain. So thank you GG7! Now, you will have to put up with my annoying inquiries... ;)

Its cool that you grew things bred out through the BB line, that would be a great way to know your BBK is a Blueberry plant... I do remember hearing that Blueberry has "foxtails", whatever that means. It is supposed to be a trait it carries, but I haven't really seen it with my own eyes, so couldn't tell you much more than that. :bitingnails:

That GDP looks amazing! Every time I have gotten that smoke it has been consistently good! Batch to batch it varies in quality (like all buds), but it is one that is always very dense and way above average! You had me searching The 'Certain Mental Outlook' site and single seeds... Neither have it! The closest are things its bred into by a Seed Breeder called Riot Seeds, the strain is Hawaiian Honey Purple. And its not only expensive, but out of stock! Shoots! I probably would have bit the bullet and put that in my first grow otherwise...

With the BB cola shots it really looks like the problem is sticking with the fan leaves and not effecting the flowers, so your presumption of it being more of a genetic trait as opposed to some deficiency is probably correct. In my under-educated-in-the-matter-opinion. If you are scared and want to send one to me to test before you try it, I will take to the cause! :)

I do not know if I had asked this with my million and a half other questions.. But how do you determine harvest time? Some do it by hairs, others do it by trichome development.. Which camp are you in?

Hey GG :)

The clones look great Buddy...in fact...I don't how you keep up with it all!

I'm just riding along watching your great show! :cheer::circle-of-love:

Thanks MedMan! I appreciate you sticking around! :)

Yes...I am very pleased with the progress of the clones from the previous session. Hopefully the larger growing tips and Blue Cheese cuttings do as well in this current session. So far so good with those still. As to how I keep up with all of this stuff, that I really don't know! :laughtwo:

Holy carp and mackerel! Those clones have shot off!

With the BB cola shots it really looks like the problem is sticking with the fan leaves and not effecting the flowers, so your presumption of it being more of a genetic trait as opposed to some deficiency is probably correct. In my under-educated-in-the-matter-opinion. If you are scared and want to send one to me to test before you try it, I will take to the cause! :)

I do not know if I had asked this with my million and a half other questions.. But how do you determine harvest time? Some do it by hairs, others do it by trichome development.. Which camp are you in?

Thanks again THSea! I really appreciate it!

I got your PM and will try to respond to it a bit later today. I am just about to head out back and tend to all the ladies! ;) The leaf yellowing is continuing at a rather rapid pace, and I am starting to see some of the smaller leaves around the buds becoming affected. The only deficiency I haven't considered was Magnesium, so I gave both of them a watering with Epsom Salts added this morning. The other was possibly light burn, although that is probably a long shot. What got me wondering about that was that the colas furthest away from the side fills and the main overhead T5 fixture are the greenest and show no signs of this leaf yellowing issue.

As for harvest time... I generally shoot for around 8 weeks, but in the case of these Blueberries, they appear to be on a somewhat faster track than most. The hairs on the colas are still white and have not shown any sign of turning color yet, but I expect that will all be changing very soon now! ;)

As for how I determine the optimum harvest time?

I use my secret weapon!

The Celestron 44104 500x Power Advanced Biological Microscope with USB interfaced Digital Imager

P1011153.JPG

This thing is awesome for checking Trichomes! With the digital imager on the eyepiece, I can send the image to one of my computers and view the Trichomes on my computer monitor with 2 Megapixel resolution which sure beats squinting through a tiny peep hole! :laughtwo:

P1011154.JPG

The other advantage is that you can save the images for later review and comparison with past and future flowerings. A quality microscope like this is not often discussed around here, but if you want to optimize your harvests, it blows the little pocket jobs out of the water and will easily pay for itself after one or two perfectly timed harvests! :thumb:

The time is growing near when I will be firing this bad boy up to start inspecting the Trichomes of the BBKs! When that happens, I plan to post the microscopic images right here in my journal for everyone to check out! :)

Thanks again for the kind words, the nomination and your continued interest in my growing activities! I will try to answer all your questions in your PM later today.

Stay tuned! :cheer:

Take your time on the PM, it's pretty obnoxiously long!

Cool, it seems most people now days are really inspecting their trichomes. :) science, huzzah! That is one awesome microscope, cant wait to see the pictures.

Back
Top Bottom