Grow #2: Outdoor/CFL Auto 420 Blueberry & AK-47 Smart Pots With Dr Earth Soil

Just a quick update this Tuesday morning, day 13. Did a bit more bending of AK 4, thought I'd take a pic. I think I've got some spare romex floating around somewhere so if I can find it I'll strip it and use that for tie-downs. I never remember to buy plant ties and it looks pretty similar.

Gave everyone 16oz nutes today, 8oz per ring at 4 inches and 6 inches: ½ tsp GrowBig, 1½ tbs Big Bloom, 1ml cal/mag+.

Also, I'll see if I can scrape some of that white fluff into a zip lock and see what happens!

20170905_083208.jpg

20170905_083217.jpg

Subbed up man, there looking very good, mine are suffering a bit due to the extreme temps we had, but it's cooled off so they should pick up now .

Thanks for subbing in Suntan! I was actually about halfway through your journal this weekend and got sidetracked and never finished it. I'll do that today.

Heat wave is over here as well so let's hope for good growing weather and fewer forest fires!

Just a quick update this Tuesday morning, day 13. Did a bit more bending of AK 4, thought I'd take a pic. I think I've got some spare romex floating around somewhere so if I can find it I'll strip it and use that for tie-downs. I never remember to buy plant ties and it looks pretty similar.

Gave everyone 16oz nutes today, 8oz per ring at 4 inches and 6 inches: ½ tsp GrowBig, 1½ tbs Big Bloom, 1ml cal/mag+.

Also, I'll see if I can scrape some of that white fluff into a zip lock and see what happens!

20170905_083208.jpg

20170905_083217.jpg
Getting into the early bending! I love it!!
I was gonna say maybe Spidey eggs. Looks like something in there for sure.

Yeah for the heat wave breaking! Time for it to make it here!!!!
Last day over 100 getting down to 70 in a couple!!!!!

Those look like either spider eggs or catterpillers. Your plants are pretty young for a full strenght neem treatment. I'd use some Safer's Insectial soap as a wash. Or make a 1/2 strenght neem shouldn't hurt. But I'd still wait afew days unless you see more or they hatch. You allready removed all you can by hand right? I don't know what all you use in the soils but a good addition to your transplanting is Myko's from Extreme Gardening... About the most cost effective... GL and Keepem Green

Those look like either spider eggs or catterpillers. Your plants are pretty young for a full strenght neem treatment. I'd use some Safer's Insectial soap as a wash. Or make a 1/2 strenght neem shouldn't hurt. But I'd still wait afew days unless you see more or they hatch. You allready removed all you can by hand right? I don't know what all you use in the soils but a good addition to your transplanting is Myko's from Extreme Gardening... About the most cost effective... GL and Keepem Green

Whatever they are they don't belong there! You can see them better in the top view pics below. I'll do a small spray bottle with diluted neem oil and spray them tonight before they go under the lights.

Funny that you mention the Mykos...I actually sprinkled a bunch of that in as I was mixing the dirt for these! Not that I measured tho ;)

1666384011560.png

Wednesday is here and here are the pics for day 14. More LST for AK 4 and more white spots that will get Neemed tonight. The leaves look a little weak and I don't know if they're not getting enough water because I'm watering too far out from the tap or they're just still suffering from the heat. I guess the next few days will tell as we're back to normal temps (high 70s). I don't think the last grow looked this pale and I think I soaked the pot on planting day, so maybe it's a water issue.

Blueberry 3:

20170906_085721.jpg

AK 4:

20170906_085730.jpg

AK 5:

20170906_085737.jpg

I ran into the same issue, I was watering around the edge of pot a little everyday and seemed like they was pal with slow growth. Now after they get around 10days old I start watering till I see it starting to runoff and then I won't have to water again for 5 or 6 days, depending on the size of pot. It could just be me over thinking things but I believe my plants grow better and look healthier doing that method.✌️

I ran into the same issue, I was watering around the edge of pot a little everyday and seemed like they was pal with slow growth. Now after they get around 10days old I start watering till I see it starting to runoff and then I won't have to water again for 5 or 6 days, depending on the size of pot. It could just be me over thinking things but I believe my plants grow better and look healthier doing that method.✌️

I think I'm with you on that. Given the smart pot and the amount of perlite I have in there I don't think I have to worry about them drowning, so tomorrow morning I will go back to my old watering plan, which is the same as yours!

Crazy Thursday I must say. I decided to give a Neem oil spray last night before they went under the lights. Mixing small quantities is an exercise in math because what starts out as 2 tbs/gallon needs to be divided in half to make it weaker and then divided by 4 since I'm only mixing 32 ounces. That eventually gets me down to .75 tsp. Anyway, sprayed them and put them under the CFLs.

This morning they looked pale so I went with the full watering as EastCoastGhost and I discussed yesterday. Blueberry 3 got a gallon of 1.5 tbs BigBloom, .5 tsp GrowBig, and 1 ml cal/mag+. Water in was ~400 PPM (including ~ 100 PPM from the tap) and out was ~600 PPM.

Then I did the same for AK 4. But take a look at what came out! That's neither beer nor pee.

20170907_073506.jpg

It's a foamy broth at 972 PPM!. WTF? And AK 5 ran the same foam at around 770 PPM out. Holy crap. I have no idea what that was about but I figured it wasn't good! So I went back and ran another gallon of plain pH water through both of them and they ended up running around 590 PPM out, so I left them there.

20170907_082640.jpg

Very strange that two of the three had PPM out closer to my late flower numbers on the first grow. All I had given them previously was BigBloom and then 16 oz of .5 tsp GrowBig. And all three got the same with completely different runoff.

I won't need to water for a while obviously because they're truly wet now, and I hope they green up soon! Here they are after all the watering craziness.

Blueberry 3:

20170907_083559.jpg

AK 4:

20170907_083610.jpg

AK 5:

20170907_083621.jpg

You can see in the pic of AK 5 that the bugs are being very aggressive, much more so than early in my last grow. Anyone know how often I should Neem or what the crazy foamy PPM was about?

Wish I had some advice! I don't really do the PPM or Neem. Good luck though, I know you're going kick some ass!

Thanks Waffle! Seems like this grow is going worse than my first when I knew next to nothing. Now I'm doing things with knowledge and we're off to poor start. Luckily I know that this is not a 55 day grow so I have some time to make up for the weak beginning, if I can correct whatever has gone wrong.

Seriously, I did NOT pee in that measuring cup!

And as for the foam the only time I've seen that was when I had a massive over build up of nutes in the soil specifically cal mag but I don't know see if it happens again and if it does I would switch water to either distilled or ro

I can lay off the cal/mag and see if it happens again. It's just weird bc I was feeding 3ml cal/mag on the first grow and never saw that. Hopefully it's a one-off. I'll be watering to runoff from now on as I used to so I'll know what the PPM out looks like going forward.

Back
Top Bottom