HashGirl's Summer 2022 Grow Journal

*** Update Time ***

Good afternoon.

In this week's news, I've started a Neem soil drench program for the plants that are in veg. A Neem soil drench is an excellent way to start a systemic pest management program for your plants.

On the following spreadsheet, the amounts of water highlighted in orange each received 1L of Neem Soil Drench solution this week. And, the amounts of water highlighted in green mean that half of their feedings were plain water as Felonious hasn't had time to feed them recently.

Using @BakedARea 's advice,

I warmed the water up to just over 90°. I shook the hell out of the water bottle

Anyone that has worked with cold pressed neem oil, knows how much of a pain in the ass it can be to make a good emulsion to spray. Warm water always helps the process. Also, if you are making your own spray from pure neem oil, be sure to add a drop or two of liquid soap or something like yucca extract for the saponin. This will assist in the emulsion process and with it stay on the leaves longer.

I mixed up 4L of the solution adding 10 ml of Neem oil to the warm water along with a couple of drops of Dawn dish soap and fed each of the CB Dutch Treat and the Raspberry Cough 1L each.

Part of the reason I'm doing the soil drench is because there's no good place to spray them in the main part of the house. And, besides that, it's a lot easier, in my opinion and easy is always good.

Here is what the neem oil is and what it is supposed to do:
  • Azadirachtin is a systemic toxin which affects insects once ingested.
  • The chemical compound has very similar properties to the insect’s own hormones.
  • As a result, it tricks the pest into thinking it’s full, causing it to slowly starve itself.
  • Additionally, it interrupts growth hormones, locking instars from advancing to the next stage.
  • Finally, it causes infertility in many species, preventing future generations from being laid.
  • Grubs and insects which pierce the plant’s leaves are the only ones affected.
  • Even more beneficial, the neem oil boosts your plant’s immune system, effectively fighting some bacteria and fungi.
So, without further ado, here are the pics:

SUM22 - 420 Update for 20-Jun-22.jpg

CBDT1 - Day 71:

CBDT1-a.jpeg

CBDT1-b.jpeg

CBDT2 - Day 70:

CBDT2-a.jpeg

CBDT2-b.jpeg

CBDT3 - Day 61:

CBDT3-a.jpeg

CBDT3-b.jpeg

MAG1 - Day 55 (+24):

MAG1-a.jpeg

MAG1-b.jpeg

To be continued...

*** Update Time cont'd...***

MAG2 - Day 55 (+19):

MAG2-a.jpeg

MAG2-b.jpeg

RC - Day 61:

RC-c.jpeg

RC-d.jpeg

WWxBB1 - Day 52 (I had to stake both WWxBBs as they were both leaning a lot):

WWxBB1-a.jpeg

WWxBB1-b.jpeg

WWxBB2 - Day 51:

WWxBB2-a.jpeg

WWxBB2-b.jpeg

To be continued...

Moby Dick Seedlings: I planted 5 seeds but only needed 4 so these worked out perfectly.

MD Seedlings in Peat Pods.jpeg

Except the 5th seed came out of the bottom of this puck. Weird considering I was pretty sure I placed it in its own peat puck.

MD Seedling 2 for 1 Deal.jpeg

I threw out the sprout from the bottom.

MD1 - Day 8:

MD1-a.jpeg

MD1-c.jpeg

MD2 - Day 8:

MD2-a.jpeg

MD2-c.jpeg

MD3 - Day 8:

MD3-a.jpeg

MD3-c.jpeg

MD4 - Day 8:

MD4-a.jpeg

MD4-c.jpeg

And, that's everything. Thanks for following along. Comments, questions and suggestions are always welcome.

Moby Dick Seedlings: I planted 5 seeds but only needed 4 so these worked out perfectly.

MD Seedlings in Peat Pods.jpeg

Except the 5th seed came out of the bottom of this puck. Weird considering I was pretty sure I placed it in its own peat puck.

MD Seedling 2 for 1 Deal.jpeg

I threw out the sprout from the bottom.

MD1 - Day 8:

MD1-a.jpeg

MD1-c.jpeg

MD2 - Day 8:

MD2-a.jpeg

MD2-c.jpeg

MD3 - Day 8:

MD3-a.jpeg

MD3-c.jpeg

MD4 - Day 8:

MD4-a.jpeg

MD4-c.jpeg

And, that's everything. Thanks for following along. Comments, questions and suggestions are always welcome.
Excellent information. Great post. Your plants look very happy!

The final results for all the plants in this grow except the current autoflowers (2 Dark Devil and 2 [unreported] Blueberry:

Going forward, I will be reporting on the autoflowers in my Summer 2022 Grow Journal.

So, this completes this grow. Thank you for following along.

The above quote was from my Fall 2021 grow journal. So, I trimmed up my 2 Dark Devil Autos today. Here are the pics:

DDAs Drying.jpg

Dark Devil 1 - Autoflower
Days in Veg = 30
Days in Flower = 73
Final Yield = 14 grams

DDA1.jpeg

Dark Devil 2 - Autoflower
Days in Veg = 25
Days in Flower = 78
Final Yield = 11 grams

DDA2.jpeg

Jarred DDAs.jpeg

All I have left from that grow are 2 Blueberry Autos that I didn't track or report on during my last journal.

Some DDA to save for special occasions!

I was actually thinking about adding it to the non-decarbed plant material that I've gathered together to make your salve as I read somewhere that linalool has beneficial immunomodulatory effects on wound healing. And, further research including this info from @Amy Gardner suggests Dark Devil has significant linalool.

Just stopped by to see what your up too @HashGirl

I enjoyed reading your journal, very informative.

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,
Tok..

:welcome: to my journal, Tok. Thanks for stopping by.

I was actually thinking about adding it to the non-decarbed plant material that I've gathered together to make your salve as I read somewhere that linalool has beneficial immunomodulatory effects on wound healing. And, further research including this info from @Amy Gardner suggests Dark Devil has significant linalool.
Great info, :thanks: HG! Next batch of salve I make I might include all the DDA I have. No one in my house seems particularly fond of smoking it.

Caught up! The plants look so beautiful! Nicely done!

Regarding the neem and soap drench, I've never used soap in a drench. It will certainly dispose of many critters. My concern would be the beneficials too though! I primarily use my neem and soap mixes for foliar or top soil sprays (even indoors). Otherwise, for soil, using neem seed meal is a great way to improve the plants resistance and deterrent system for pests.

Oh...and another trick for good emulsion is a milk frother for small amounts. For large amounts (1+ gal) is one of those hand held kitchen immersion blenders. That with warmer water and a tiny bit of castile soap and my spray mix is so much better.

Caught up! The plants look so beautiful! Nicely done!

Regarding the neem and soap drench, I've never used soap in a drench. It will certainly dispose of many critters. My concern would be the beneficials too though! I primarily use my neem and soap mixes for foliar or top soil sprays (even indoors). Otherwise, for soil, using neem seed meal is a great way to improve the plants resistance and deterrent system for pests.

Oh...and another trick for good emulsion is a milk frother for small amounts. For large amounts (1+ gal) is one of those hand held kitchen immersion blenders. That with warmer water and a tiny bit of castile soap and my spray mix is so much better.

Thanks, Baked. I'm using neem oil because that's what I have and the soap I added was just a couple of drops of Dawn dishwashing liquid to act as the emulsifier. I did a bunch of research on it and found multiple recipes like mine. The plants don't look like they're suffering from it so I think I'm going to keep on with it and see if I can keep the bugs at bay.

@BakedARea - I'm thinking about buying this product for my tents. Do you think one is enough for three 5x5 tents or should I buy one for each tent? Also, any opinion on the size to buy?

HG is that for plantless tents in preparation for plants to enter bug free?

Yes. This grow is currently in the main part of the house along with outside. I have 4 plants finishing up in one of my three tents and when they're done, all the plants will be done and I'll have 3 empty tents, which I'm planning on thoroughly cleaning before moving the plants from the Great Room to the tents.

*** Weekly Update ***

Good afternoon.

Nothing too exciting this week. I had the incorrect age for the Magnum autos in the last update. The plants are growing with the biggest growth streaks with the White Widow x Big Bud 2 and CB Dutch Treat 1 with 6" in one week and White Widow x Big Bud 1 with 5". And, CB Dutch Treat 1 has developed some damaged leaves. I thought it might be calcium so I added Cal-Mag to the water in the last feeding. She also has some light damage so I raised the light after Felonious noted the closeness.

Anyhow, without further ado, here are the pics:

SUM22 - 420 Info for 28-Jun-22.jpg

CBDT1 - Day 79:

CBDT1a.jpeg

CBDT1b.jpeg

Sorry about the lights. The rest of the photos are better.

CBDT1c.jpeg

CBDT2 - Day 78:

CBDT2a.jpeg

CBDT2b.jpeg

CBDT3 - Day 69:

CBDT3a.jpeg

CBDT3b.jpeg

RC - Day 69:

RCa.jpeg

RCb.jpeg

To be continued...

Back