Hempy Headquarters

Just a suggestion (not from experience) but are you plugging the drain hole when flushing with H2O2? I think I would consider doing that and filling the pot to the top and just let it sit there flooded for maybe 10 minutes? Then untape the drain hole. Not sure how long a fungus gnat can hold it's breath but I'll bet it's not 10 minutes. And I think your roots would be okay (because you're in hempy) to try this.

i have plugs. that is exactly how i do this. you described my method to a T.

i generally let them soak closer to 20 min when i flush. i use 29% h202 at 1ml to 1L for a normal flush. i went 2ml / L for the last flush to get the larvae, and have added h202 at 1ml / L to the feeds since

in fact i use a plug for every feed / water as well. kind of a flood and drain hempy lol

I read before that if you put sand on top of your medium it cuts the gnats all up when they try to crawl out of it.

perlite is supposed to do the same. the plant deepest in the media was the the worst infection so far, which was really odd. it seems mostly clear now, i am having trouble with others. really should get some pics.

it doesn't help that we have a yearly fruit fly explosion amongst other things at this time as well

i have plugs. that is exactly how i do this. you described my method to a T.

i generally let them soak closer to 20 min when i flush. i use 29% h202 at 1ml to 1L for a normal flush. i went 2ml / L for the last flush to get the larvae, and have added h202 at 1ml / L to the feeds since

in fact i use a plug for every feed / water as well. kind of a flood and drain hempy lol

perlite is supposed to do the same. the plant deepest in the media was the the worst infection so far, which was really odd. it seems mostly clear now, i am having trouble with others. really should get some pics.

it doesnt' help that we have a yearly fruit fly explosion amongst other things at this time as well
yes, i just got fruit flies too, but none in any tents yet. they make my skin crawl i hate them so much.

Fungus gnats like fungus (molding organics in the soil). Since you are in perlite hempy, the only organics below the surface are the roots. Are you sure everything is okay there?
:passitleft:
no. things are not ok. frickin fungus gnat larvae are munching on the roots lol

i see your thinking tho. good pick up blu

the h202 regimen could also be clearing a root rot issue too. idea being the root trouble gave the gnats some place to get hold.

that is one of the reasons i went that route. i'm gonna keep running it, maybe even for the duration.

i'm hitting it with a btk spray right now. on top of the media and some on the plants.

yes, i just got fruit flies too, but none in any tents yet. they make my skin crawl i hate them so much.

put out some shot glasses with a little beer, a couple drops of dish washing liquid, and a bit of water. catches the worst of them. it gets a few of the gnats too, but mostly on color.

For fruit flies I make a couple of those 2 liter bottle fruit fly traps. They work really quite well.

the h202 regimen could also be clearing a root rot issue too. idea being the root trouble gave the gnats some place to get hold.
Are you talking multiple plants here? Are they in veg or flowering? I am old and probably did read that but forget and am lazy and don't want to go back. But if they are plant in veg how about this...….. Pull the whole root ball, perlite and all out of the container and cut off the bottom 3 inches of roots and perlite. Put 3 inches of fresh, clean, rinsed perlite on the bottom of the pot and drop the plant back in.

I wouldn't suggest that for a flowering plant.

For fruit flies I make a couple of those 2 liter bottle fruit fly traps. They work really quite well.

i make smaller ones, same principle.
the shot glasses are preemptive ... i add bottle traps if it escalates

make wasp traps from the 2L bottles.

Are you talking multiple plants here? Are they in veg or flowering? I am old and probably did read that but forget and am lazy and don't want to go back. But if they are plant in veg how about this...….. Pull the whole root ball, perlite and all out of the container and cut off the bottom 3 inches of roots and perlite. Put 3 inches of fresh, clean, rinsed perlite on the bottom of the pot and drop the plant back in.

I wouldn't suggest that for a flowering plant.

in veg. over veg now.

trying to clear it before moving to flower.
i have a separate ( really really separate ) flower space that is clear. i'm intent on keeping it that way.

oops - forgot to say hmmm ... i like that. i am not averse to such direct intervention.

My suggestion might seem radical. But look what happened to @Van Stank who had the fungus gnats in his roots. He lost his entire grow pretty much. These plants are amazingly resilient and bounce back from many things. I'm thinking they have a MUCH better chance of growing more roots down into the bottom of the pot then they do surviving a full on fungus gnat larvae attack. Maybe try it with one plant and see how it goes?

i just can't believe they survived the h202 onslaught.
seriously the stuff was bubbling in the pots. my master kush plant clawed right after, but it's been much better.

i'll finish spraying and get a pic

edit : i hope i didn't offend @FelipeBlu . just realized it doesn't quite read the same as it sounded in my head

ok i got the fungus gnats.. damn

first the mites then this immediately after or overlapping. plants are taking a beating from trying to get them cleared. they are also overdue to flip. trying to get them settled first.

so far i've done a couple weeks of iso spray and then neem oil spray. pretty much got the mites with that. continued with the neem for the gnats, and have flushed with h202 a couple times. they keep coming back. thinking of doing a BTK spray next.

gnats aren't supposed to be a serious thing in hempy, so i'm not sure why it's been so hard to clear the plants. i'm open to anyone's suggestions or experience. i got mosquiron novluron briquets, which seemed to be the closest thing to a mosquito dunk i could source. probably gonna have to try that soon if i can't get a better treatment.

From experience with Hempy, gnats, and mites, I’d highly suggest grabbing a ‘No Pest Strip’ by Hotshot from your local Lowe’s/HomeDepot ($6). You’ll be rid of the bug issues within about 2-3 days. Then just remove and ziplock the no pest strip and save it for another occasion.

These are some seriously mutant gnats - to thrive in such a flood of H2O2!

Another thing you can try is what my brother @BTzGrow did when he had an issue with a non-draining perlite. He used the @SweetSue technique of plugging the hole, flooding until the plant floats, give it a swish and a pull, and out it comes. He then rinsed off as much of the smallish, offending perlite, and repotted in fresh, larger perlite. His SLH plants, which were in flower BTW, are doing quite well.
HERE
:yummy:

From experience with Hempy, gnats, and mites, I’d highly suggest grabbing a ‘No Pest Strip’ by Hotshot from your local Lowe’s/HomeDepot ($6). You’ll be rid of the bug issues within about 2-3 days. Then just remove and ziplock the no pest strip and save it for another occasion.

ah crap. was looking at those tonight. i googled local availability. but got off work. beer. black indica. no driving.

These are some seriously mutant gnats - to thrive in such a flood of H2O2!

Another thing you can try is what my brother @BTzGrow did when he had an issue with a non-draining perlite. He used the @SweetSue technique of plugging the hole, flooding until the plant floats, give it a swish and a pull, and out it comes. He then rinsed off as much of the smallish, offending perlite, and repotted in fresh, larger perlite. His SLH plants, which were in flower BTW, are doing quite well.
HERE
:yummy:

even more hmmm

i really just wanna flip these and get what ever. these were clones. they are super beat.
i'm going back to seed after. so the drastic re- pot is tracking upward.

if i had a real space i'd up-pot in a heart beat

summer hempy harvest

full

I’m so sorry I missed this bluter. Well done buckaroo! :high-five:

Reading over the report on the fungus gnats hurt me. :straightface: Of all the suggestions I like the idea of the HotShot trap the most, for speed and effectiveness.

Good luck. Remember the DDA I grew that was so stunted next to its sister and when I did the rootopsie we learned it had root rot? Are you reusing perlite? That’s what got me with that DDA - organic root matter left behind that was large enough to give the rot a place to grow.

I learned to clean better. Lol!

Clones cause so much grief we often wonder why we go there, eh?

I’m so sorry I missed this bluter. Well done buckaroo! :high-five:

Reading over the report on the fungus gnats hurt me. :straightface: Of all the suggestions I like the idea of the HotShot trap the most, for speed and effectiveness.

Good luck. Remember the DDA I grew that was so stunted next to its sister and when I did the rootopsie we learned it had root rot? Are you reusing perlite? That’s what got me with that DDA - organic root matter left behind that was large enough to give the rot a place to grow.

I learned to clean better. Lol!

Clones cause so much grief we often wonder why we go there, eh?

I'd love to get off of clones, but seeds are so expensive. might try Dr. Seeds, you can get 15 seeds for like $100

I was recommended to this thread for advice or guidance based on experience with hempys that use megacrop nutes and vermiculite medium... please give advise, guidance based on experience. Thanks.

Nutrients:
(MC) Mega Crop Nutrients (9-6-17)
(BE) Bud Explosion (0-19-39)
(SC) Sweet Candy (0-0-16)

Grow size: 3Gal Hempy
Growing Medium: Pearlite/Vermiculite 50/50 Mix

All nutes below have been mixed into 4 Liters of water, then feed to the plant over the course of 7 days. Each "week" listed is exactly what ive actually done for that week.

Week 1 = (1 tsp MC) + (1 tsp Calmag) in 4L water
Week 2 = (2 tsp MC) + (1 tsp Calmag) in 4L water
Week 3 = (2 tsp MC) + (2 tsp Calmag) in 4L water
Week 4 = (1 tsp MC) + (1 tsp BE) + (1 tsp Calmag) in 4L water

My plant looks great, nothing is wrong with it. Just recently showed signes of not getting enough N. Other then that shes happy.

Some people had been concerned with the amouts of nutes I have givein to the plant... plant is in first 10 days of flowering.

Has anyone seem to find if vermiculite blocks the uptake of nutes when mixed at 50/50 with perlite??

In my experience, using that high a proportion of vermiculite is unnecessary, unless you live in the desert (very low humidity). Otherwise, you may experience issues with slow draining. IMO, good drainage, and the ability to water frequently, is more important than minor adjustments to nutrients.

ah crap. was looking at those tonight. i googled local availability. but got off work. beer. black indica. no driving.

even more hmmm

i really just wanna flip these and get what ever. these were clones. they are super beat.
i'm going back to seed after. so the drastic re- pot is tracking upward.

if i had a real space i'd up-pot in a heart beat

I used them when I got spider mites. I took great pleasure watching them all crawl out and die over a matter of a couple days.

Back
Top Bottom