How To Make Concentrated Cannabis Oil

Hi budnoob2, thanks for replying to me. I was starting to get discouraged. Why 2 different methods of heating it up? Can we just use a stainless steel pot on the induction cook top instead for the entire process?

Hi Fred, the fondue set is for the first phase of evaporation and the induction range is for the decarboxylation process. Are you following the guide at the beginning of this thread? Substitute the fondue set you have for the rice cooker in the instructions and the induction top for the portable range in the decarb steps. Hope this helps.

Well, that goes back to origins I suppose and the fact that when we're doing larger batches it's easier to keep rolling with the 2. Using a rice cooker we didn't have as much control over temps as we do with a range top and for decarb you want full control of temps. Granted, fondue maker made our lives easier for temp control (so technically could get by with just that for smaller batch) but if you're doing large batches you cook one down and transition over to decarb and then start the next one in the fondue maker, rinse and repeat.

Hi cannabis oil,

Sorry if I missed your post, budnoob is correct. Do you have a 2 quart induction approved sauce pan for the induction cooker? This will be needed for your decarboxylation process in conjunction with your Vollrath.

So for review; fondue maker to cook down your carrier/solvent, induction cooktop for your decarboxylation process. Practice a couple of dry runs setting things up. It goes a long way building confidence. The process is very easy, I did 4 dry runs practicing. If you have a couple boo boo's move forward, don't stop (meaning if you spill a tad or another small mishap). It gets easier and easier and soon it becomes fun and very easy. You got excellent equipment to be sure. Nice selection! The fondue maker is hands down my fav piece of equipment and you induction cook top with the adjustable rheostat is off the hook. When using the fondue cooker set the temp on 4.5 setting, you will not have to adjust. Pour a half cup of water in the fondue cooker, angle it towards you (tilt), get a visual so when your solvent cooks down you get an idea when to halt the process. Note: Shut off the fondue cooker, pour into a 1 cup stainless steel measuring cup (magnetic). Simply set the cup on your induction cooktop, set the temp for 180, wait until it heats up and starts to bubble, this will burn off most of the solvent, adjust up to 210 for 5 minutes, then up to 245 degrees. Set a timer (microwave timer is what I use) for 30 minutes keeping an eye out every 10 minutes or so. When the oil stops moving (no bubbles) your decarboxylation process is done. Hope this helps

Dear 420 Motoco,

I asked this question on another page but don't think you are seeing it for some reason.
How To Make Concentrated Cannabis Oil

As per your recommendation, we purchased the Vollrath 59500P Mirage Pro Countertop Induction Range and the Cuisinart CFO-3SS Electric Fondue Set but the fondue maker does not sit directly on the burner. What do we do now, can you help?

Thanks,
Fred

Hi 420 Motoco,

We will get the saucepan today, thank you very much for your help!

Why do we need to use 2 different methods of heating it up though? Can't we just use stainless steel pots on the induction cook top instead for the entire process? Seems it would be even better for controlling heat throughout, would it not?

Hi cannabis oil,

Sorry if I missed your post, budnoob is correct. Do you have a 2 quart induction approved sauce pan for the induction cooker? This will be needed for your decarboxylation process in conjunction with your Vollrath.

So for review; fondue maker to cook down your carrier/solvent, induction cooktop for your decarboxylation process. Practice a couple of dry runs setting things up. It goes a long way building confidence. The process is very easy, I did 4 dry runs practicing. If you have a couple boo boo's move forward, don't stop (meaning if you spill a tad or another small mishap). It gets easier and easier and soon it becomes fun and very easy. You got excellent equipment to be sure. Nice selection! The fondue maker is hands down my fav piece of equipment and you induction cook top with the adjustable rheostat is off the hook. When using the fondue cooker set the temp on 4.5 setting, you will not have to adjust. Pour a half cup of water in the fondue cooker, angle it towards you (tilt), get a visual so when your solvent cooks down you get an idea when to halt the process. Note: Shut off the fondue cooker, pour into a 1 cup stainless steel measuring cup (magnetic). Simply set the cup on your induction cooktop, set the temp for 180, wait until it heats up and starts to bubble, this will burn off most of the solvent, adjust up to 210 for 5 minutes, then up to 245 degrees. Set a timer (microwave timer is what I use) for 30 minutes keeping an eye out every 10 minutes or so. When the oil stops moving (no bubbles) your decarboxylation process is done. Hope this helps

You could use one method instead of 2. An example; You could use the fondue cooker to cook down the solvent, pour into a stainless steel measuring cup, clean out the fondue cooker, pour olive oil in it about 1/2" high, set your cup inside heat it up as explained above doing the decarb (this is called a double boiler method). You need a thermometer to check your temps.

You can use your induction cooktop with a saucepan (induction approved) and cook down your solvent also, pour into a stainless steel measuring cup (magnetic) and simply set your stainless steel measuring cup directly on top of your induction cooktop and decarb (takes longer because of the ambient temperature around the cup is less than using a double boiler method. Or pour the oil into a ss cup when your cook down is completed. Clean out your saucepan, add 1/2" olive oil set back on the induction cooker and do your decarb.

If I had your equipment I would cook the oil down in the fondue maker, pour into a ss measuring cup then take the cup directly to the sauce pan with the olive oil in it already heated up to 180 degrees and simply set the ss cup inside and start the decarb.

You always pour the concentrate into a smaller ss measuring cup so when its decarbing your bottom surface is small in area. The bigger the area like a saucepan is too large of a surface for your decarb unless your doing large quantities at one time. If you use the method using both appliances your time will be much faster. Also when just using the induction cooktop cooking the oil down you have to tilt the pan as it cooks down (like panning gold) so when you tilt the pan on an induction cooktop it shuts off. When using the induction cooktop for your decarb you don't tilt anything. Does this make sense?

Most in the know likes the double boiler decarb for quickness and efficiency.

Hi 420 Motoco,

We will get the saucepan today, thank you very much for your help!

Why do we need to use 2 different methods of heating it up though? Can't we just use stainless steel pots on the induction cook top instead for the entire process? Seems it would be even better for controlling heat throughout, would it not?

So we can return the fondue maker and get these sauce pans to work with the induction cook top, instead right?
Calphalon® AccuCore? Stainless Steel Covered Sauce Pans - BedBathandBeyond.com

To be clear this means we do not need a fondue maker or rice cooker, just the induction cook top and different size sauce pans that are induction approved right?

Thank you for helping to make this very confusing process seem a bit more manageable for those of us who are not DIY types.

You could use one method instead of 2. An example; You could use the fondue cooker to cook down the solvent, pour into a stainless steel measuring cup, clean out the fondue cooker, pour olive oil in it about 1/2" high, set your cup inside heat it up as explained above doing the decarb (this is called a double boiler method). You need a thermometer to check your temps.

You can use your induction cooktop with a saucepan (induction approved) and cook down your solvent also, pour into a stainless steel measuring cup (magnetic) and simply set your stainless steel measuring cup directly on top of your induction cooktop and decarb (takes longer because of the ambient temperature around the cup is less than using a double boiler method. Or pour the oil into a ss cup when your cook down is completed. Clean out your saucepan, add 1/2" olive oil set back on the induction cooker and do your decarb.

If I had your equipment I would cook the oil down in the fondue maker, pour into a ss measuring cup then take the cup directly to the sauce pan with the olive oil in it already heated up to 180 degrees and simply set the ss cup inside and start the decarb.

You always pour the concentrate into a smaller ss measuring cup so when its decarbing your bottom surface is small in area. The bigger the area like a saucepan is too large of a surface for your decarb unless your doing large quantities at one time. If you use the method using both appliances your time will be much faster. Also when just using the induction cooktop cooking the oil down you have to tilt the pan as it cooks down (like panning gold) so when you tilt the pan on an induction cooktop it shuts off. When using the induction cooktop for your decarb you don't tilt anything. Does this make sense?

Most in the know likes the double boiler decarb for quickness and efficiency.

hello online family. I am here for a pity party. This is way off topic and I dont want to fill this thread up with a bunch of off topic posts. Please just click like on this post and I will know that you are sharing my misery.

My beautiful girls that were looking so awesome with lots of flowers on them have been pollinated and I have seeds. My medicine is being degraded by seeds!!!! I have found at least 3 pollen sacs that have opened. Those things really hide good. So I will have to chock this up as a learning experience. I think I know where my stressors are that caused this so I will not make same mistake. The only silver lining is that I have plants that are more than ready to take their place.

Thanks in advance to all of you

Sure you could return the fondue cooker and just use the induction cooktop. As mentioned though I would use them both and already have a double boiler heated up to 180 degree's so when my oil is cooked down I would simply pour into my cup and put it right in the perfect temp double boiler ready to go on your induction cooktop. 58.00 bucks for the fondue maker will pay for itself in a couple of uses because your process will be faster.

The induction cooktop you have is an awesome piece of equipment because you will use that more than just decarbing. I make changes all the time to my oils and having a rig that can go to 110 degrees for blending other oils go a long way not to mention blending in some coconut oil/grapeseed oil for a salve. If I was you all the equipment would stay. As far as the fondue cooker goes it might be small but size don't matter as the carrier burns off just pour more in until you done with your run.

You can shake the tree many different ways on this and I think you have your mind set, go with that. What may seem complicated now won't be after a couple of times (like everything) it is easy easy easy.

How about this; just use the induction cooktop and try out the procedure, keep your fondue maker. If everything goes as planned, send it back. If you think the process I spoke of makes more sense keep it, if not send it back. I would wait though until you did a run first. Win win.

So we can return the fondue maker and get these sauce pans to work with the induction cook top, instead right?
Calphalon® AccuCore? Stainless Steel Covered Sauce Pans - BedBathandBeyond.com

To be clear this means we do not need a fondue maker or rice cooker, just the induction cook top and different size sauce pans that are induction approved right?

Thank you for helping to make this very confusing process seem a bit more manageable for those of us who are not DIY types.

Party popper! lolol. I think your bud will be o.k. Don't stress. Doesn't mean its going to absolutely be trashed and once made into oil for your hubby it should be fine for him. Yep got to pay attention and keep a close eye on them. Its all a learning curve smallcell. You made your own oil, grown your own meds and have studied like a professor. You should be very proud of yourself. I see a lot of grow equipment on craigslist that didn't even come close to growing as far as you have. This will work for your needs right now. All is good. No stressing.

T/C

hello online family. I am here for a pity party. This is way off topic and I dont want to fill this thread up with a bunch of off topic posts. Please just click like on this post and I will know that you are sharing my misery.

My beautiful girls that were looking so awesome with lots of flowers on them have been pollinated and I have seeds. My medicine is being degraded by seeds!!!! I have found at least 3 pollen sacs that have opened. Those things really hide good. So I will have to chock this up as a learning experience. I think I know where my stressors are that caused this so I will not make same mistake. The only silver lining is that I have plants that are more than ready to take their place.

Thanks in advance to all of you

I just wanted to follow up for those that were interested. I did get a distiller and have had the chance to run a few ounces through it. It was split up in two runs as they were different strains and turned out to be the equivalent of about a liter's worth of 190 everclear. Worked out quite well and from my calculations I am recovering 81.25% of what goes in the distiller. This could also mean I slightly raised the ABV of the 95% by a point or two. I assume time shall tell as I attempt washes with the reclaim.

This was the first time I distilled anything and it was really straight forward incase anyone is discouraged. It was a fun to learn/do something new as well. Obviously I'm not a pro but if anyone has any questions should they choose or consider choosing this path, I can try my best to help.

Thanks again as well Motoco! ;)

Speaking of reclaiming, I'm definitely pursuing that too. We get the good Everclear in this state, but very expensive.

And, yes... I've had my am sativa dose & can't seem to stop typing. Time for work.

Hey Smokes, could you start a thread under forums/cannabis-oil called distilling your own carrier or something to that effect with the process you followed? That would rock!

Nice job Smokes! Carriers are expensive and this will cut cost dramatically. Just haven't had the time, lol. Make it easy with your knowledge learning this and put it in the share basket brother !

I just wanted to follow up for those that were interested. I did get a distiller and have had the chance to run a few ounces through it. It was split up in two runs as they were different strains and turned out to be the equivalent of about a liter's worth of 190 everclear. Worked out quite well and from my calculations I am recovering 81.25% of what goes in the distiller. This could also mean I slightly raised the ABV of the 95% by a point or two. I assume time shall tell as I attempt washes with the reclaim.

This was the first time I distilled anything and it was really straight forward incase anyone is discouraged. It was a fun to learn/do something new as well. Obviously I'm not a pro but if anyone has any questions should they choose or consider choosing this path, I can try my best to help.

Thanks again as well Motoco! ;)

Hey Smokes, could you start a thread under forums/cannabis-oil called distilling your own carrier or something to that effect with the process you followed? That would rock!

Awesome idea! I get the good Ever clear AND pay dearly for it. Reclaiming it would cut my costs by half.
Please let us know about your runs & opinions.

Hey gang,

Hope everyone enjoys Labor Day in the States this weekend. I sincerely hope no one has to labor Monday :) I'm going to squeeze out a couple of days off Sunday and Monday, well almost anyway. Just wanted to give a shout out to my friends and family at 420 Magazine. Spark up the BBQ's and enjoy a day with friends and family. I'd be curious what canjuncelt has planned, lol. :volcano-smiley:

Best regards & Love
420 Motoco

Hey gang,

Hope everyone enjoys Labor Day in the States this weekend. I sincerely hope no one has to labor Monday :) I'm going to squeeze out a couple of days off Sunday and Monday, well almost anyway. Just wanted to give a shout out to my friends and family at 420 Magazine. Spark up the BBQ's and enjoy a day with friends and family. I'd be curious what canjuncelt has planned, lol. :volcano-smiley:

Best regards & Love
420 Motoco
Happy quick vacation Motoco!!! Tell Mo & Co hi.
We're having a Fais Do Do. Crawfish boil & cochon du lait with plenty of green. I can't eat most of it anymore, but I can cook it up yeah for true.
Have a great weekend everyone! I'll return PM's asap. Still have only the phone, so a lil slow still.

Lache pas la patate

I knew it, lolol. Going to have to catch one of those brother! You will be back to eating all the good stuff soon my friend. :party: Best wishes to the family brother!

Happy quick vacation Motoco!!! Tell Mo & Co hi.
We're having a Fais Do Do. Crawfish boil & cochon du lait with plenty of green. I can't eat most of it anymore, but I can cook it up yeah for true.
Have a great weekend everyone! I'll return PM's asap. Still have only the phone, so a lil slow still.

Lache pas la patate

Back
Top Bottom