How To Make Concentrated Cannabis Oil

Hi everybody,

Thanks to all the posters for the great info.

I'm a total noob and do not know if this is the proper way to ask my questions, but I have two:

1. This was my first QWET and it didn't go great lol... I could only find 91% ISO, I ground my premium bud (23g) after de-stemming, using 800ml of ISO for 2 washes, and messed up letting the high heat on my rice cooker go way too long and ended up with thicker oil than you are supposed to get before putting on the warmer, but also... here's my question: With all this, and remember 23g of premium bud (White Russian) I ended up at the end of the day with only about 1g of oil. Can someone help me navigate all these variables? I'm not pissed at myself for the poor first performance, b/c I know it will improve with practice, but damn... 1g of usable oil for nearly an ounce? Costly...

2. I am using the oil to (hopefully) treat my IBS. I have read all the posts on that specific thread(s) on this site, but have not seen any answers to this. Admittedly, I have not read ALL 50 pages of posts in this thread (do people do that all at once or what??), so my question is... any results with IBS where (as mentioned in the original how-to of this thread) you decarboxylate longer to get more CBN, which I understand is better for IBS, or has more THC, and thus less decarboxylation helped, and with what symptoms.

Again, TOTAL NOOB, and I apologize if this is just totally groan worthy because of X, Y, and Z...

Any help would be appreciated. This is literally my first post ever... about this stuff. Just started...

THANKS,
BW

Hi Bdubs504!

I can't give any techie data on CBD/THC, but I did want to pop in and tell you that I've suffered with IBS/IBD since my teen years and since I've been using the oil the symptoms are a rare occasion now. What used to be something I would suffer for days at a time, sometimes as long as a month with no break....I now see only a couple days per month. As I sit here now, I think my last episode was almost a month ago.

I hope that you can get the answer you seek to get the oil right for you, because seriously I know your trauma with it and I just know this will help you.

And something that a lot of people are not aware of is that long term IBS/IBD can lead to colon cancer. Not to scare you, if you've been a long time sufferer I'm sure you've read on that before.

:circle-of-love:

LMBO!! It have spent many many hours online researching every step of the way. At first I didn't even know that I was growing medicine. I have come a long way and thank you for helping me with my husband. All this knowledge is paying off big time and I know this is just the tip of the ice burg.
Peace
She's back! super cropping, fiming, decarbing and a lab coat on :) Hi fsc, lol.

Yea, the male plants are worth something, haha, 3-5% CBD off the leaves (web knowledge, no personal experience) with little to no THC.

Good to cya back around fsc, please give Mo and I warmest regards to your hubby and to you.

Peace

Yes, I do remember saying that chemo and radiation did save his life. Also the brain surgery as the one tumor was too big for radiation to take care of. He received radiation to left lung and whole brain, then of course 6 months of chemo. NASTY stuff. His last radiation was May 2013 and his last chemo was August 2013. The side effects just were not getting better. Even now I can't really say the physical side effects are better with an exception of less pain. But I can tell he is feeling better mentally. The effects of the whole brain radiation are suppose to keep getting worse. His doc said it would affect his ability for complex thinking. He also said that they don't really have good stats on WBR and it's effects beyond 1 year because the patients just don't live long enough to study them. We felt like we did not have a choice but to go through with that tx. He had other brain tumors and chemo does not cross the blood brain barrier. I don't know if the oil can repair the damage done to his brain but if it at least stops further damage I will be happy with that. He tries to explain what it is like (in his brain and the ability to think) but he has a hard time with it.

Yes, it is a miracle he is alive. He would have died without the tx he got. But I do not believe he would survive anymore of that tx. I will do everything I can to keep him on the oil forever. You said that you feel younger now than you have felt in years. I saw a video of Rick Simpson that said the same thing. In fact he went on to say he would love to take 1 gram of oil for 1 year and see what it does for him. He just never has enough of the oil for himself to do that.

At some point in the future I will fess up to his doc about what we have been doing with the oil. That should be an interesting conversation. But that will not be for some time to come. Thank you again for all your help. You and your wife deserve only the best in life.

Peace
Hi fsc,

Thank you for the belated birthday wish. Hard to believe the last few years I feel younger, lolol. You deserve the compliments. Dang radiation, the list seems to keep growing from the damage it caused. Hubby must of lost his taste buds, vaping the flower is the 'cream of the crop' for taste. He is just use to the 'burn' in the back of the throat from smoking a joint or from a bong/pipe. Amazing how we get in our habits in life. I think back when you told me 'radiation saved my husband, but his quality of life sucks' (something like that) it is a miracle he is alive. His smell must be gone also. This should all improve, just takes time to heal from the severe damage. Over time the oil will change his mindset also. So, now your turn. You have had a tough job from the start fsc, your tenacity and your strength is amazing but I also know caretaking a loved one pushes things to their limits. Just make sure you take care of yourself as well. People don't grasp the stress taking care of someone. Keep fighting the fight, glad your back in action.

:Namaste:

Hello, yes I can see in the pic that the spots are not as raised/high as they were. That spot on your mom's arm looks bad. Does it hurt her and does she have more of them?? I can't wait to watch it get better. Thank you for documenting this for us and good luck.
Peace
Hi fsc,
great to see you back! I really do think this oil is helping the spots. It's hard to tell from pictures, but I can see a difference in the thickness/height of them and the overall look of them.
We will be treating my Mom's extreme Keratosis. (I believe that's what it is) This test will be the tell all, because these areas of her arms get worse with time.
Here's one we will start on this weekend, (kind of gross looking, but it is what it is)

Keratosis.jpg

I will be sure to post an update in a couple to three weeks. My spots were treated for a couple of weeks with only subtle changes, so I want to give it plenty of time to work. She will be instructed to change the bandages every 3 days.
Waterproof bandages work really well for this, so she can still shower and such without them falling off.
Fair warning.....remove any hair where that bandage is going, cuz they REALLY stick. LOL

Hello bdubs504, Welcome, you are in the right place to get your answers, and I am sure others will chime in to give you more exact explanations. As far as reading this whole thread, that depends on you and the time you have. I will tell you that this thread is a gold mine of info and is well worth the read. I believe you will not find info as valuable as this anywhere else. So grab a pen and paper to make a few notes if you decide to start from the beginning. Also there is a way to save any post for further reference. (TY budnoob2 for telling me that one) All you do is click the blog this post icon on the bottom left of the post. But off the top of my head I do not remember if IBS is mentioned on this thread. But Cannafan just gave you a great testimony!! And Motoco has talked about how the oil is great on healing the digestive tract.

As far as your oil and what went wrong. I am not the expert but I have studied this thread. When boiling in the rice cooker, when you get down to about 1 cup left you start swirling it. Then when it is down to about 1/2 cup, turn the cooker on low and keep swirling. When the boiling slows way down you pour it into your stainless steel cup and decarb it. I don't know why you ended up with only 1 gram. It sounds like you left it in the rice cooker for too long and it is possible to burn it. Maybe that is what happened.?? The rule of thumb is 1 oz top shelf bud yields 4 grams. Middle buds =3 grams and lower buds = 2 grams. And if I am not mistaking, a heavy indica strain will be a little less than that. Also, are you sure it is only 1 gram?? 1 gram is = to 1 ml in a syringe.

I will be interested to hear what Motoco says about when to stop the decarb process for IBS, I always stop mine at peak THC. Right now I only have a sativa dominant strain and THC is what I want to kill any cancer that my husband may have.

One last thing. The 91% ISO is not good. Not only does it have too much water in it, but there are ingredients in it that are harmful to you. It is safer for you to use a food grade alcohol in case you do not get it all out during decarb you will still be safe using the oil. Best if luck to you and I hope you keep us posted on future oil making and the outcome of your IBS.
Peace
Hi everybody,

Thanks to all the posters for the great info.

I'm a total noob and do not know if this is the proper way to ask my questions, but I have two:

1. This was my first QWET and it didn't go great lol... I could only find 91% ISO, I ground my premium bud (23g) after de-stemming, using 800ml of ISO for 2 washes, and messed up letting the high heat on my rice cooker go way too long and ended up with thicker oil than you are supposed to get before putting on the warmer, but also... here's my question: With all this, and remember 23g of premium bud (White Russian) I ended up at the end of the day with only about 1g of oil. Can someone help me navigate all these variables? I'm not pissed at myself for the poor first performance, b/c I know it will improve with practice, but damn... 1g of usable oil for nearly an ounce? Costly...

2. I am using the oil to (hopefully) treat my IBS. I have read all the posts on that specific thread(s) on this site, but have not seen any answers to this. Admittedly, I have not read ALL 50 pages of posts in this thread (do people do that all at once or what??), so my question is... any results with IBS where (as mentioned in the original how-to of this thread) you decarboxylate longer to get more CBN, which I understand is better for IBS, or has more THC, and thus less decarboxylation helped, and with what symptoms.

Again, TOTAL NOOB, and I apologize if this is just totally groan worthy because of X, Y, and Z...

Any help would be appreciated. This is literally my first post ever... about this stuff. Just started...

THANKS,
BW

Hi Bdubs504!

I can't give any techie data on CBD/THC, but I did want to pop in and tell you that I've suffered with IBS/IBD since my teen years and since I've been using the oil the symptoms are a rare occasion now. What used to be something I would suffer for days at a time, sometimes as long as a month with no break....I now see only a couple days per month. As I sit here now, I think my last episode was almost a month ago.

I hope that you can get the answer you seek to get the oil right for you, because seriously I know your trauma with it and I just know this will help you.

And something that a lot of people are not aware of is that long term IBS/IBD can lead to colon cancer. Not to scare you, if you've been a long time sufferer I'm sure you've read on that before.

Hi Cannafan,

Thank you so much for your testimony. That is great to hear that you have had relief from your symptoms using the oil, and I'm optimistic I'm looking at the right treatment at the right time for my own symptoms. Yes, it is a terrible, terrible malady, and I can only imagine what people with Crohn's go through. My connection for herb (illegal state still, Louisiana) has become a good friend as she suffers from Crohn's, so we treat each other with knowing kindness. Thank you for the same.

And yes, just the other day I read that long term IBS can lead to colon cancer, and it scared me pretty good. I did not know that, didn't really suspect it, and basically thought this was something I was just going to have to live with and treat with Western medicine as best as possible. That was in the beginning, when it wasn't keeping me out of work. So all in one day I realized I would have to leave my job, wouldn't be able to file for disability b/c IBS is not a federally or state approved disability (I'm sure you know), and then... then I read that I might get colon cancer if it gets worse. So, yes, I am taking it much more seriously now, although the symptoms have always led me to search in earnest for a viable solution. Thank you for the reminder.

Lastly, may I implore you to head over to the Treament/IBS thread and share some of your experience when you have some time?
Irritable Bowel Syndrome

In particular, details of how you treat, how often, how much, etc., would be a great help. Any info, stories, relatable details, tips and tricks of the trade, etc. would be very much welcomed, and, as it is now, I'm trying to help build up that particular thread, because it is very sparsely populated, and that is surprising given the rest of the knowledge and hope offered elsewhere here on this site. (I'd ask you here, but it seems this thread can already be a bit tangential!)

Again, my thanks for chiming in. I'm headed over to check out your Master Kush x White Widow (blog?) now because that sounds right up my alley!

Cheers,
BW
:thanks:

Hello bdubs504, Welcome, you are in the right place to get your answers, and I am sure others will chime in to give you more exact explanations. As far as reading this whole thread, that depends on you and the time you have. I will tell you that this thread is a gold mine of info and is well worth the read. I believe you will not find info as valuable as this anywhere else. So grab a pen and paper to make a few notes if you decide to start from the beginning. Also there is a way to save any post for further reference. (TY budnoob2 for telling me that one) All you do is click the blog this post icon on the bottom left of the post. But off the top of my head I do not remember if IBS is mentioned on this thread. But Cannafan just gave you a great testimony!! And Motoco has talked about how the oil is great on healing the digestive tract.

As far as your oil and what went wrong. I am not the expert but I have studied this thread. When boiling in the rice cooker, when you get down to about 1 cup left you start swirling it. Then when it is down to about 1/2 cup, turn the cooker on low and keep swirling. When the boiling slows way down you pour it into your stainless steel cup and decarb it. I don't know why you ended up with only 1 gram. It sounds like you left it in the rice cooker for too long and it is possible to burn it. Maybe that is what happened.?? The rule of thumb is 1 oz top shelf bud yields 4 grams. Middle buds =3 grams and lower buds = 2 grams. And if I am not mistaking, a heavy indica strain will be a little less than that. Also, are you sure it is only 1 gram?? 1 gram is = to 1 ml in a syringe.

I will be interested to hear what Motoco says about when to stop the decarb process for IBS, I always stop mine at peak THC. Right now I only have a sativa dominant strain and THC is what I want to kill any cancer that my husband may have.

One last thing. The 91% ISO is not good. Not only does it have too much water in it, but there are ingredients in it that are harmful to you. It is safer for you to use a food grade alcohol in case you do not get it all out during decarb you will still be safe using the oil. Best if luck to you and I hope you keep us posted on future oil making and the outcome of your IBS.
Peace

Hi fghtsmallcell,

Thank you very much for chiming in. It is nice to be welcomed when you are in the process of trying to heal something God awful. And, you've helped me - the saving the post by blogging it option is awesome, and is exactly what I need to keep track of all this that I am learning. I will - over time - review this whole thread, but it just seems that - even like my post - much of it is technically off topic as it does not deal directly with making the oil. But, ce la vie...

I definitely left the oil boiling in the rice cooker on high for too long, but no, it did not burn. I'm pretty certain it would have, but the container is stick proof and I think I may have gotten lucky there. I do remember some of it was starting to stick though.

That said, no, I'm not sure all I got was one gram. I'm eyeballing that because it wasn't even enough to pull up into the syringe, and, I'm going by what it looks like. In the past, when I've obtained BHO from some random sketchy person in an effort to treat acute symptoms, the 1g has always looked the same - like a stack of two quarters, lying flat on the surface of the glass jar that I'm using now (didn't know what to do after it didn't make it into the syringe) or in that case, on the paper that was folded over. And no, definitely didn't think to measure it. Thoughts???

TY also for the rec on food grade solvent as opposed to my 91% that I used. I believe the only other ingredient that was listed in it was water, but I did not look too carefully and may be wrong. Good to know, I'm hoping I'm okay to continue using it still though?? Also, I have ordered 99% ISO off of Amazon, I believe the brand name is Swan... I'm not sure... Is that okay to use, or if not, where should I look? Any info would be appreciated.

Again, my thanks for adding your two cents.

Peace
BW

G' Morning bdubs504!

Is there a chance you can post a photo of the oil you made? Just to give an idea what you have there, I'm sure it will help the folks here to assess things. If not, that's okay too. ;-)

I will get over to the IBS thread this week. I had meant to do that at some point, but I wanted to be sure this oil treatment was the reason for the "missing" symptoms. Enough time has gone by now for me to be confident that it is having a profound effect on it.

Yes, I am aware of the social security disability downfall on this. That has never made sense to me, when diseases similar to this debilitating issue are listed.

I'll post over there soon. Thanks for nudge. ;-)

Cheers!

Hi bdubs504 & Cannafan!

I'll be sure to pop up over there as well. Been suffering for 6-7 years now and still to this day don't get consistent results. I focus primarily on mood management now to pick me up. Maybe I can learn a thing or two... :love:

G' Morning bdubs504!

Is there a chance you can post a photo of the oil you made? Just to give an idea what you have there, I'm sure it will help the folks here to assess things. If not, that's okay too. ;-)

I will get over to the IBS thread this week. I had meant to do that at some point, but I wanted to be sure this oil treatment was the reason for the "missing" symptoms. Enough time has gone by now for me to be confident that it is having a profound effect on it.

Yes, I am aware of the social security disability downfall on this. That has never made sense to me, when diseases similar to this debilitating issue are listed.

I'll post over there soon. Thanks for nudge. ;-)

Cheers!

Hi there :)

This is what I have left after 3 days of sparse use (3/4xday @ 1-1&1/2 grain rice doses). It has lasted longer than I thought, but as in the picture, it only started out about the size of a quarter (paper clib in pic is jumbo, fyi). This is been "a gram" of BHO for me in the past from my connects, but no, I never got it into a syringe b/c there wasn't enough! Therefore don't know if it is 1ml or not.

IMG_35094.JPG

Thanks for considering contributing to the IBS thread. Like you, I'm tentative in claiming an early victory - I've had little to no problems the last three days, after having a terrible two week bout of problems. Seem to correlate, or maybe the cycle just ended. So, good to know that somebody started out with the same disposition and have found with some certainty that the Oil works.

Total baloney about disability claims, but as I understand it, because IBS is "idiopathic" meaning no known origin, that there is no way to get it even considered for disability, where as disorders like Crohn's has specific causes and pathologies.

Thanks again. See you 'round.

BW

Hi bdubs504 & Cannafan!

I'll be sure to pop up over there as well. Been suffering for 6-7 years now and still to this day don't get consistent results. I focus primarily on mood management now to pick me up. Maybe I can learn a thing or two... :love:

Hey man, Would welcome your engagement in the IBS thread as well. Sorry to hear you have had so long suffering. I've only had it for about two years now, worse in the last year, so I'm trying to get this thing early.

Can you pls explain what you mean about "consistent results?" Also, by "mood management," do you mean that you work on reducing anxiety and the like to help prevent flare ups? If not, could you pls elaborate? (Pls feel free to just jump over to Irritable Bowel Syndrome to further discuss!)

I certainly do hope you learn "a thing or two!" That's why I'm here, so if I can help, just ask!

Peace,
BW

Higher the temps quicker the decarb (not going over 250d). I've had a decarb take over 12 hours at 190d, so yes, tiny bubbles can happen at lower temps, just takes much longer to finish the decarb.

but won't it depend on the temperature achieved to decarb ?

i have seen those very same tiny bubbles/foam at a temp well below 220

@Motoco

? on the extraction process and using bud.

Has it been discussed or any downside on using Co2 extraction...(keif) then using the keif with the grain alcohol to make the RSO?

Any reason not to try this method??

With ample amount of trim sitting around I think by keifing it first I could use smaller vessels etc and less hassle?

again....any reason or advice not to try Co2/keifing then move onto the grain alcohol extraction etc??

Hello Canna :ciao:

Hi bdubs,

Wecome to 420 Magazine. You can get an oral syringe pull out the plunger and cold pack your oil by using a cuticle pusher (or similar) to pick up the oil, insert into the oral syringe and scrape off. When done insert the plunger and press up to the top.

This is what I have left after 3 days of sparse use (3/4xday @ 1-1&1/2 grain rice doses). It has lasted longer than I thought, but as in the picture, it only started out about the size of a quarter (paper clib in pic is jumbo, fyi). This is been "a gram" of BHO for me in the past from my connects, but no, I never got it into a syringe b/c there wasn't enough! Therefore don't know if it is 1ml or not.

IMG_35094.JPG

Thanks for considering contributing to the IBS thread. Like you, I'm tentative in claiming an early victory - I've had little to no problems the last three days, after having a terrible two week bout of problems. Seem to correlate, or maybe the cycle just ended. So, good to know that somebody started out with the same disposition and have found with some certainty that the Oil works.

Total baloney about disability claims, but as I understand it, because IBS is "idiopathic" meaning no known origin, that there is no way to get it even considered for disability, where as disorders like Crohn's has specific causes and pathologies.

BW

Hello, yes I can see in the pic that the spots are not as raised/high as they were. That spot on your mom's arm looks bad. Does it hurt her and does she have more of them?? I can't wait to watch it get better. Thank you for documenting this for us and good luck.
Peace

Hi,
Yes ...she has a LOT more of them. We are going to run the test on just one for now, before we make up enough oil to get the rest of her owies. They don't hurt her at all, just itchy sometimes and she's very self conscious about the looks of them for good reason.

We did the first application yesterday, it took a lot of oil to cover it completely.

So let the test begin!

Motoco,

I know what you mean on the diabetic thing, but she definitely doesn't have diabetes. Thank goodness, cuz her brothers all have/had it. She knows she's at risk.

Hi Heady!

I think the oil looks good. My best estimate is 2 ml. or 2 grams. I also think that you are starting out with a higher dose than needed. A small amount goes a long way and will last longer for you. Hopefully till you are able to get more. Motoco will have some more questions for you so he can better guide you on your journey to feeling better. So keep checking back here. As far as the alcohol goes, we don't like ISO at all. It is safer to use 190 proof grain alcohol or there is another polish alcohol that some are using. It just depends on what you can get your hands on. One more question for you. How are you taking the oil. Are you using the tacking method?? A lot of folks that find their way here have been just eating it. You will get better results with tacking on the gums. Here is a link to that thread if you haven't already seen it.
Cannabis Oil Dosing Tutorial: Tacking Method

IMG_35094.JPG

BW

Back
Top Bottom