How To Make Concentrated Cannabis Oil

As I mentioned on the other thread, safety first. It would be very unsafe to store the extraction for any period of time and I personally wouldn't risk it.

As unsafe as storing a bottle of vodka.

However, I absolutely agree with everything else you said, budnoob3.

A couple of points of interest to make clear:

It takes ABOUT a fifth (a liter, a quart) of alcohol to complete 2 four minute washes of 1 oz of bud.

I do 2oz. of bud w/.5 gal kleenxtract (200 proof). I got 8.5 grams (ml. on syringe) from 2oz. of Gorilla Glue.

Move the wash to a smaller container to finish boiling off the alcohol, decarb and collect the oil when the wash will still pour and FIT into your smaller container. As soon as it will fit the smaller container, is the best time because it will still pour. You can rinse the larger container with a small amount of alcohol and add it to the smaller container as you get more room (boil off more alcohol).

I made one small batch using the olive oil and small stainless measuring cup method and won't be doing that again. I'd rather just smoke it, nothing wrong with that :):rollit:

I made one small batch using the olive oil and small stainless measuring cup method and won't be doing that again. I'd rather just smoke it, nothing wrong with that :):rollit:

No there's not. Smoking will actually give you cannabinoid bioavailability of around 30%. Vaping will be cleaner for your lungs.

I know this has been brought up before. I am looking for a still to reclaim the alcohol. There are several that all look similar on Amazon. Who here is using a still and how does it change that way you make your oil? I know the couple batches I made on the induction top the smell of cooking everclear is a little over powering, not to mention expensive to buy each time. I would love to hear others experiences in reclaiming their solvent. :peace:

I use a 1 gallon water distiller made by MegaHome. Safer than the large frying pan I first used, no fumes. I make it indoors and I reclaim about 80-85%. I use the 1/2 cup stainless steel measuring cup in Olive Oil in a 1.5 quart pot on an induction cooktop to finish cooking off the remaining alcohol and decarb.

I follow Motoco's directions for processing the buds; freezing everything for 24 hours. I even freeze the piece of 2x2 that I use to mash the buds in the Everclear. I have also used Spirytus Vodka. I only have to travel a total of 100 miles to get Everclear 95% or 190 proof.

I love the distiller!

WJ
:ciao:

First of all I would like to express my condolences due to Tim's death. I just found out yesterday... What a shocker!

Tim and I had e-mailed back in Sept and Oct, our intentions were to begin making oil after the first of the year (my harvest time.) So, here I am and I'm hoping that someone may answer some questions that I have.

1) I have #2 750ml bottles of Ever Clear with plans to use one on an Indica strain and one on a Sativa dominate strain. How many ounces of bud should each 750ml bottle take care of? (bud weight:alcohol volume)

2) in the past I read that the use of Lecithan would increase the potency... I have my doubts, but need to ask.

3) How long does it take to make a batch? I have no idea whether each one will be a couple hours or whole day project.

4) If the ratio happens to be 1 ounce bud to 750ml Ever Clear, when it's all in and all done APPROXIMATELY what could I expect the finished volume to be? I just want to have an idea to get the syringes around ahead of time.

That's it for now, I'm sure I will have additional questions if you folks don't mind me asking them here.

Only use Lecithin for making Butter and edibles. No adulterants in the CCO please. Just the alcohol.

WJ

I am ready to make my first batch of oil, but have 1 question before I start... Can I look at the making oil as a two step process that could be done on consecutive days with any loss of potency? i.e extraction today and cooking it down tomorrow?

Yes you can. Just keep it in glass in the freezer. That is a technique called winterizing. Many Oilseeds have written about it in the beginning of this thread. Starts on page 51 member named Lab Rat. I have not tried it. It helps remove water and plant waxes I have read. Just make sure to strain well.

Good Luck!

WJ

Two days ago I ordered an Arizer Air. It's taking me awhile to get with the times!

I was blessed to get both a table top and a portable as gifts for birthday and Christmas. It's a generous universe, no? :circle-of-love:

:goodjob:Thanks WildJim!

I ordered the still from Amazombie. Thank you for the answer to my winter oil making prayers!!!:thumb:

:Namaste:
JohnnyOilStill

Hi Rado, There's a vid on YouTube that shows how. It's made by RSO fame PhoenixTears folks. Not allowed here, fanny says.

You just use it in place of your rice cooker, fondue maker, boiler whatever you are using to speed the evaporation process. It's a counter top appliance that looks like a coffee dispenser that you push on the top at convenience stores and gas stations. It drips out the recovered alcohol into a glass coffee pot looking thing. Very kitchen appropriate. Not a 'moonshiners still' look with copper tubes.

I'll hold off these next oil productions until the still arrives. Wish I had a camera now!

Fanny to the rescue!!!

Hi Rado, There's a vid on YouTube that shows how. It's made by RSO fame PhoenixTears folks. Not allowed here, fanny says.

You just use it in place of your rice cooker, fondue maker, boiler whatever you are using to speed the evaporation process. It's a counter top appliance that looks like a coffee dispenser that you push on the top at convenience stores and gas stations. It drips out the recovered alcohol into a glass coffee pot looking thing. Very kitchen appropriate. Not a 'moonshiners still' look with copper tubes.

I'll hold off these next oil productions until the still arrives. Wish I had a camera now!

Fanny to the rescue!!!
Johnnyoilseed, I will answer this on the Oilers United thread tomorrow, so this thread can stay on topic of CCO.

Tomorrow I will be making another batch of oil, but I am trying a couple of different approaches. Please see if I have a good plan, and if not, how should I tweak it?

1st of all, I made a batch of oil the other day using a stainless steel measuring cup in olive oil and while the oil is indeed potent, it did not firm up into a grease like consistency, it is too runny yet.

2nd thing is I am using Lab Rats winterizing technique (page 51) I just ground up and covered another half ounce or so of Grand Daddy Purple in Ever Clear . (I also have 1.15oz Blue Blood prepped and ready for tomorrow.) It is in the freezer and I will follow his remaining directions for this "SLOW COLD ETHANOL METHOD."

When the hours have passed and it is ready to cook down I will follow standard protocol minus the olive oil.

So far I think all of the above should work out just fine. Here is my question though: after most of the alcohol has boiled off, before pouring it into the final measuring cup, can I add in the oil that I made a few days ago to get more alcohol out of that batch too, and then suck it all up together (hopefully a thicker consistency?)
This all kinda makes sense to me, but being new at it I don't want to do something stupid to screw it up again.

Thanks for your time.:thanks:

Tomorrow I will be making another batch of oil, but I am trying a couple of different approaches. Please see if I have a good plan, and if not, how should I tweak it?

1st of all, I made a batch of oil the other day using a stainless steel measuring cup in olive oil and while the oil is indeed potent, it did not firm up into a grease like consistency, it is too runny yet.

2nd thing is I am using Lab Rats winterizing technique (page 51) I just ground up and covered another half ounce or so of Grand Daddy Purple in Ever Clear . (I also have 1.15oz Blue Blood prepped and ready for tomorrow.) It is in the freezer and I will follow his remaining directions for this "SLOW COLD ETHANOL METHOD."

When the hours have passed and it is ready to cook down I will follow standard protocol minus the olive oil.

So far I think all of the above should work out just fine. Here is my question though: after most of the alcohol has boiled off, before pouring it into the final measuring cup, can I add in the oil that I made a few days ago to get more alcohol out of that batch too, and then suck it all up together (hopefully a thicker consistency?)
This all kinda makes sense to me, but being new at it I don't want to do something stupid to screw it up again.

If the oil is runny then it wasn't finished long enough - remember to monitor bubbles and not let heat get above 240 or so. You should notice that temp of oil increases as the alcohol evaporates so use the laser thermometer to monitor closely and it's done when you have no more bubbling. There should be no problem with continuing to finish the oil.

If the oil is runny then it wasn't finished long enough - remember to monitor bubbles and not let heat get above 240 or so. You should notice that temp of oil increases as the alcohol evaporates so use the laser thermometer to monitor closely and it's done when you have no more bubbling. There should be no problem with continuing to finish the oil.

Thanks Bud, I am glad to hear this.

+Reps

That'll work just fine. You can rinse the container the oil is in, in the wash before you boil it down. Do this with your empty syringes (they're not totally empty).

Ps. Decarboxilation takes place above 240 deg F.......but keep oil below 250 deg F to avoid burning off any Cannabinoids (it'll start smoking).

PPs. Please tell me you didn't MIX the CCO with olive oil...If you did, it's OK, but that would be good for eating or topical application, NOT tacking (yes, too runny).

Back
Top Bottom