Hyena's Never-Ending Adventures In Growing

Just a heads up the Michigan supply chain is changing. Caretakers are not allowed to sell to dispensaries after the commercial growers get licensed. They allow it now but it's supposed to change in the filter. I'm sure you can afford the licensing if you can afford a second house.

Yeah...well, I know plenty of people out West who have made amazing inroads in markets with many "rules"...but participation in the mainstream is probably not going to happen but who knows...actually, I don't think the best return would come from fully "legit" supply-chain participation anyway and I already have outlets for all I can produce. Just kind of musing on the Wild West landscape of Michigan which has initially approached legalization in a bold way, opening the bottle fully before any real marketplace or supply chain even exists. My experience has been that when regulators and regulation get involved in anything it gets a whole lot less free and fun.

First task first. Eye on ball. I'm going to concentrate on perfecting small-batch (5-7 pounds a run) super-desirable cannabis and I think if I can do that the rest will follow. If you make it, they will come. We will see.

Peace, Hyena

While I love tents and use them myself, are you doing that for the faster spin-up time? Most Michigan houses have basements don't they? Security and temperature control way easier that way too. Guessing it hinges on "legit" vs "stealth" grow status?

Well, a 10x10 tent in a bedroom beats all the bullshit required to achieve a similar environment without all that work and time. Besides, I believe security outweighs almost all other aspects of growing combined (even in legal states) so the extra layer of light-tightness plus environmental control is helpful too. And as you mentioned, way faster to get going.

Gonna be a challenge. And fun.

Peace, Hyena

Well, a 10x10 tent in a bedroom beats all the bullshit required to achieve a similar environment without all that work and time. Besides, I believe security outweighs almost all other aspects of growing combined (even in legal states) so the extra layer of light-tightness plus environmental control is helpful too. And as you mentioned, way faster to get going.

Gonna be a challenge. And fun.

Peace, Hyena

I can't wait to see what you do with the space man!

Hey it's Thursday and so it's a

PROJECT 28 REPORT!

Chopping down fresh cannabis is one of the most wonderful things in the human world. My human world anyway. If I'm even fully human. A lot of dat Neanderthal stuff still mixed in. :oops:

Anyway it's almost beyond the ability of words to describe the multi-sensory pleasure of holding a stem that is straining from the mass of its tight, dense, fragrant colas and chop it off, suddenly feeling the full weight of the branch. That's the moment you know what you have achieved. That heavy, wonderful weight. And as I lovingly cut my first branch that's exactly how it went.

I chopped down plant #1 and it took me three hours to trim everything for hanging. Three hours of intense but loving fun. It's incredibly tedious but also a dream come true...you know exactly what I mean, don't you? Yes you do. :yahoo:

At first look it's daunting...

Then, the art of scissors begins to reveal the true beauty of the buds and perfection emerges.

The pile grows as the hours snip away...

Having grown my Blue Hyena a number of times I have learned that it can only get really dense colas if it gets a ton of light. So this time around I really pushed the bounds of closeness with my two primary LEDs, with mixed results...it truly gave me the densest nugs I have ever produced...but it also killed three plants. I can finally see them now that the front is being cut down...

Ya live and learn, right? Mostly I learned that cheaper-grade Chinese lights aren't as good overall as old-fashioned HPS. I NEVER burned up a single plant using MH/HPS but a little too close with these and the whole back row was fried. I'm sure it has something to do with the individual-focusing lenses this type of LED uses...it really narrows the footprint and I'm sure increases the intensity. Plus one of them lost about half its lights.

Oh well, they were okay but in the long run I have to say you get what you pay for.

You give some and you get some in the growing game, big or small. The difference between me making a mistake and a professional grower making the same mistake is a lot of cash. Fortunately the pound or so I lost is a drop in the bucket for the knowledge I gained. I will be going with 1,000 watt HPS bulbs for my next lighting.

This is really frosty shit...

I'm sooooo happy with the buds. So enough writing, another batch ready to begin trimming sits in front of me. Gotta go!

Hard to get this stuff off your hands...sticky!

Peace, Hyena

Mostly I learned that cheaper-grade Chinese lights aren't as good overall as old-fashioned HPS. I NEVER burned up a single plant using MH/HPS but a little too close with these and the whole back row was fried. I'm sure it has something to do with the individual-focusing lenses this type of LED uses...it really narrows the footprint and I'm sure increases the intensity. Plus one of them lost about half its lights.

I think you hit the nail on the head there, but the key point being the "cheaper-grade Chinese lights". I made the transition from HPS & MH's to LED ('blurple') to COB's, and I can honestly say I will never go back to HPS. Power consumption to PAR efficiency, there just isn't a comparison. My latest veg tent is using some of the latest LED light strips from Atreum (I just couldn't wait on PLC any longer, but would have preferred to support them 1st).

TL;DR: don't dismiss LED lighting just yet @Hyena Merica - it's fantastic when you use the right quality gear!

I think you hit the nail on the head there, but the key point being the "cheaper-grade Chinese lights". I made the transition from HPS & MH's to LED ('blurple') to COB's, and I can honestly say I will never go back to HPS. Power consumption to PAR efficiency, there just isn't a comparison. My latest veg tent is using some of the latest LED light strips from Atreum (I just couldn't wait on PLC any longer, but would have preferred to support them 1st).

TL;DR: don't dismiss LED lighting just yet @Hyena Merica - it's fantastic when you use the right quality gear!

No, I'm interested in LED and would prefer that solution frankly, just don't yet understand the equivalency...and I want to get this right.

I looked at the Atreum Lighting 288.2 Full-Spectrum LED Board and folks seem to be saying that 4 of those will equal a 1,000 watt HPS. Which means 16 of them would be enough for my 10 x 10 tent (12 plants) right? I'm comparing everything to (4) 1,000 watt HPS bulbs. And also what about canopy penetration? I admit I would rather have less power usage and less heat issues. Please tell me your thoughts.

Peace, Hyena

Please tell me your thoughts.

Yes, sensei! If you know this stuff already, then hopefully it'll help someone else that follows you.

I follow a couple folks who are exponentially more intelligent than I am, but I think I can help break down the important parts. I'm going to list them in the order I wish I would have done/learned them:
  1. "Full Spectrum Light" is the new sexy, but also corresponds with actual science. Light within the 400-700nm range has been largely recognized to be "ideal". California Lightworks has a great write-up on lighting, and makes it easy to understand the effects of each band. Once you determine what is important to YOU, then you can start to find products that suite YOUR needs.
  2. Buy a PAR light meter. You'll want this for all the stuff that comes next. Create a PAR map of your grow space. This will help you determine the optimal placement and distance-to-canopy for your light(s). Many of the "experts" use an Apogee Instruments MQ-500 Full-spectrum Quantum Meter seems to be the current "standard" meter, they currently run in the $525-$550 range online. Do yourself a favor if you pick one up and get the 5 meter cable option, I'm constantly coming up short and it's annoying as hell.
  3. Head over to YouTube, and watch as many of the videos as you can absorb from Greenegeenes Garden, MIGRO, and GrowMau5. They'll get you about as knowledgable as is possible in the shortest amount of time on all things COB and LED, the associated drivers, and even a crash course in DIY electrical.
I looked at the Atreum Lighting 288.2 Full-Spectrum LED Board

I just bought 4 of them myself. For your 10x10's, you'll probably be in the 16-18 strip range. Additional side-lighting would put you way over that, and some feel it's excessive. This goes back to what's best for YOUR desired results.

Just want to put my two cents in. I started off using Hps and dealt with a lot of heat issues other than in the winter time. I had 1000w hps in a 4x4 tent and it would get soooo hot in that tent I had to swap out for a 600w hps. I have switched to Quantum Boards and noticed a huge dip In heat and in the electric bill while the yield stayed the same. It just cost $800 for 500w to cover my 4x4 mainly because I'm not a DIY guy so you could get it cheaper from HLG If I was in your position with that much space I'd go in the QB direction. I couldn't imagine using AC all year round because putting 4 1000w hps in a tent is gonna cause some serious heat issues.

Just want to put my two cents in. I started off using Hps and dealt with a lot of heat issues other than in the winter time. I had 1000w hps in a 4x4 tent and it would get soooo hot in that tent I had to swap out for a 600w hps. I have switched to Quantum Boards and noticed a huge dip In heat and in the electric bill while the yield stayed the same. It just cost $800 for 500w to cover my 4x4 mainly because I'm not a DIY guy so you could get it cheaper from HLG If I was in your position with that much space I'd go in the QB direction.

Looking at
Horticulture Lighting Group 320 Watt XL Quantum Board LED Kit V2

Seems like 4 of these might be enough for an 8x10 canopy...no doubt they have power consumption/heat advantages compared to 1000 HPS.

Also like their
HLG-600H Quantum Board LED

I might run three of these in each tent...hmmm

Your thoughts?

Peace, Hyena

I love the HLG QBs you wont have to worry about the buds growing too close to the lights as the HPS would burn them around 12 inches away unless you had cold AC air blowing under the lights.

I have a 550 V2 and a 300 V1 and plan to get another 550 V2 and put them in tents when I move to my new house next month. Much lower electric bill so its been paying off. I use the HPS in the winter time for extra heat sometimes but no need for AC unless my room that the tent is in is over 80 degrees. ( July, August)

Atreum Lighting 288.2 Full-Spectrum LED Board

These things are brighter than my COBs (CXB3590). Nice, even coverage at the canopy too! To be fair, I used the 90º and 120º lenses as well as no lens on the COB when taking readings with the same driver pulling 101.5 watts at the wall.

About 8% (outside edges) to 12% (center directly under strip) average difference in PAR output but it really seems brighter. :cool:

These things are brighter than my COBs (CXB3590). Nice, even coverage at the canopy too! To be fair, I used the 90º and 120º lenses as well as no lens on the COB when taking readings with the same driver pulling 101.5 watts at the wall.

About 8% (outside edges) to 12% (center directly under strip) average difference in PAR output but it really seems brighter. :cool:

I think we're splitting hairs talking about those differences considering how much more both Q boards and COBs deliver compared to HPS bulbs...the last two weeks I have learned a lot.

Pretty much decided on the HLG-600H Quantum Board LED it's nearly 20% higher output than a 1000 watt HPS at 620 true watts...insane. I love a lot of lights out there but this setup will literally cost me half of the others.

Sure appreciate all you guys giving me input on this.

Peace, Hyena

Happy Saturday!

How about a final

PROJECT 28 UPDATE!

It's all over in the secret grow lab...everything has been cut and dried and bucked and is just sitting in piles as I jar it up.

The final haul is fifteen ounces of absolutely frosty prime nugs. Plus another couple ounces of sugar trim.

The Blue Hyena came through again with lots of trichomes...

Every bud is dripping with stickiness. Even handling dry stems my fingers get coated and sticky immediately...soooo nice. I wish the other pound I should have got had actually happened but you live and learn and I learned more than a pound's worth so what the heck. I will settle for a pound of perfect nugs this time around, with visions of soon producing 5 or more pounds per run dancing in my head...

The polyploid bud is like a lollipop. My kind of lolly.

Might Cheech and Chong this one, and glue a bunch of papers together and roll the entire bud. Yes I might.

So with not a bang, but a whimper, Project 28 quietly closes her eyes. The lab is a mess, I'm kind of sad, and yet I feel the moment might represent a sort of graduation from amateur hobby grower to something more...just bought a house specifically to grow and I'm stoked. Time to take it to the next level, baby.

But for now, the best part of growing weed...mmmmm.

More to come, I will post the new journal location and begin a new adventure in a few days...one that will blow your mind!

That WILL be the last post. :rip: But soooo much to come! :yummy::ganjamon: THANK YOU to everyone who has occasionally read my scrawling insanity for the past 3 years. It's truly an honor to be your mad scientist, happy foole, and friend.

Peace, Hyena

Back
Top Bottom