This looks interesting i love oils!Well I had no idea it was going to be such a popular choice! I hope I can do it justice .
Thought I'd get the jump on the Monday updates by posting this weekend on Sunday night when most of y'all are asleep.
It was canna-weekend so lots to get through...
Starting with everyone's favorite: Peyote Critical. After soaking for 24 hours and it cracking in the bowl, I put it into moist paper towel NEXT TO the DVR in the closed armoire. I put a thermometer where the seed was and it was 79º. I put the thermometer on top of the DVR and it was 91º! No wonder the other seeds got fried . When it looked like this I placed it into the peat puck in the Shoebox of Light®
Moving on to the cuttings, here they are a week after I took them, looking exactly the same. They will look this way until they die:
Next up is the jumping spider on the lime tree, who likes to eat caterpillars:
Speaking of caterpillars, look who was hanging out on the AK-47:
Speaking of the AK-47, I harvested it and the Sour G on Saturday morning!!!!
AK-47 chop. Wet weight 660 grams:
Sour G chop. Wet weight of what was left was 446 grams:
I washed the AK but not the Sour G since it was going into oil. Here is why we wash:
Can't see even an inch below the surface.
I took the Sour G harvest and the stuff I'd been saving in the freezer and put it in the oven at 220º until it was mostly dry.
Then I decarbed it at 240º for 2 hours. After de-stemming, it was 170 grams. Time to make oil! I used the MB2 machine and crunched up half the buds in 12 ounces pumpkin seed oil and 12 ounces grapeseed oil. I let the machine run for a few hours and then added the rest of the buds now that there was room in the machine, as it ground down the first half. I set it for 8 hours at 160º and went to bed.
It's not easy to extract the oil when you use that much bud but after much squeezing, I got 16 ounces back:
The real question is...How strong is it? If this was 170 grams of full strength bud it would be easier to calculate, but about a third of this came off early. At 7% THC this mix comes in at almost 15mg/ml which would be spot on and 7% seemed like a reasonable estimate.
On to the AK-47, which was really leafy and dense, so I wanted to let it drip-dry for a day after the wash. The problem is, it was nearly impossible to trim tonight. Here is what I took down off the lines:
Really hard to sort out what's leaf and what's bud and what's caterpillar! I found two this size and a few smaller ones as well:
I trimmed as best as I could, took off the brown buds, and pulled the rest away from the stems, and hung them back in the shed to dry. RH in there is about 70º so again, I'm not worried about over-drying them. I just want them not to mold so the fan is blowing at floor level. I may turn on the other fan if they still seem damp tomorrow night.
I think a lot of the brown leaves and mold on the AK was the result of caterpillars, so I will be much more careful about that going forward. They weren't on the Sour G so it seems they like denser plants, adding insult to injury.
Well...that was my weekend! I'm off to find out what you all did. I hope it was a great one .
Will have to catch up on how u make it when i got time to read your thread.