InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

The brownies I made didn't have the mush or leftovers strained out and they taste great. Maybe a little more weed taste then if I had strained the butter. I will just use the matter when making butter and Not strain as much of the bud etc.. In fact that will be a little more fiber in my diet Lol anyway my experiment turned out even better then I expected
Fiber weed and sugar! Part of this nutritious breakfast :).
Your math is good. 0.7 x 2.1g = 1,470 mg
That's good, but what about if I had infused the bud directly in the coconut oil. I would have gotten more capsules for the same amount of weed?

That's good, but what about if I had infused the bud directly in the coconut oil. I would have gotten more capsules for the same amount of weed?

Based on your assumptions, it would appear so.

If you haven't taken it down yet I would have said give it a few more days. Sunday I'm thinking.

I think you're right on the money there, Shed. Sunday it is! :thanks:

I think you're right on the money there, Shed. Sunday it is!
:thumb:
Maybe it’s purpose is more about the purity of the product than the final yield... I don’t really know tho’. Just shootin‘ the breeze
True, but I don't think I should be losing THC in the process. Maybe my 15% THC estimation is high then.
Are you saying that you are surprised to only get 147 capsules from 2.1g of QWET, as opposed to 240 capsules from 20g of bud? Maybe I wasn’t paying attention.
The 20g of bud yielded 2.1g of shatter (10.5% return). So I would expect the same number of capsules. Somewhere I lost a lot so I'm wondering where. There is a fallacy in my equations somewhere.

Either my weed was closer to 10% THC, the THC% of the shatter is 100%, or I left a lot in the remaining bud. Or something else I haven't considered.

Either my weed was closer to 10% THC, the THC% of the shatter is 100%, or I left a lot in the remaining bud. Or something else I haven't considered.

Unless, you have the results tested, you really won’t know about your extraction efficiency. I suspect that your concentration is not as expected and/or you may have left THC in the bud during the QWET extraction.

After using a spoon to push as much liquid out of the mash as I could, I ended up with about 150ml:
You started out with 200ml...would the missing 50ml influence your calculations at all?

I don't know- like Amy,I'm just shootin' the breeze.... ;)

Thanks Crazy! Hold off with that erg urge until the weather starts to cool (or print yourself a better light cooling system :cheesygrinsmiley: ).

Thx. Love to get that urge.... and one that knows what can happen when I do is you.

Got a link from a friend yesterday about a German guy who built himself a grow setup in a mid seize fridge for optimal cooling. -Got my head spinning again.... haha.

Fiber weed and sugar! Part of this nutritious breakfast :).

LoL! I guess Cannabis infused donuts have already hit the streets in LA? :laughtwo:

Morning Shed, just buzzing through and catching up.

In regards to @Homer Simpson and his QWET wash experiments with soak times, the shorter “frozen” soak will produce a purer product, as will the time/heat used to evaporate the alcohol. As he is using it for capsules, chlorophyll and waxes are not an issue and actually desired in that case, the waxes and chlorophyll are actually good for the body if ingested, it’s only when we smoke the oil that they are a problem.

When I am making oil with ISO, I drain the wash/bud through a 25 micron screen into bottles. As it is draining, I watch the colour and as soon as I see green (rather than gasoline colour) I finish draining in a second bottle. Then both bottle are put in the freezer until I want to run it off. Sitting in the freezer allows the waxes to settle out and leave me a nice pure oil. The lighter wash is for smoking and the darker for edibles.

When “cooking” the oil, it is done in a Pyrex dish, lined with parchment paper sitting on an old coffee perk element with a screen and old computer fan on top pulling the fumes out a dryer vent. The longer you cook it, the harder it will get but you sacrifice terpenes by cooking longer.

When done this way, the oil when spread out and held to the light, will be clear like glass and either amber or cherry red in colour depending on the strain.

Morning Shed, just buzzing through and catching up.

In regards to @Homer Simpson and his QWET wash experiments with soak times, the shorter “frozen” soak will produce a purer product, as will the time/heat used to evaporate the alcohol. As he is using it for capsules, chlorophyll and waxes are not an issue and actually desired in that case, the waxes and chlorophyll are actually good for the body if ingested, it’s only when we smoke the oil that they are a problem.

When I am making oil with ISO, I drain the wash/bud through a 25 micron screen into bottles. As it is draining, I watch the colour and as soon as I see green (rather than gasoline colour) I finish draining in a second bottle. Then both bottle are put in the freezer until I want to run it off. Sitting in the freezer allows the waxes to settle out and leave me a nice pure oil. The lighter wash is for smoking and the darker for edibles.

When “cooking” the oil, it is done in a Pyrex dish, lined with parchment paper sitting on an old coffee perk element with a screen and old computer fan on top pulling the fumes out a dryer vent. The longer you cook it, the harder it will get but you sacrifice terpenes by cooking longer.

When done this way, the oil when spread out and held to the light, will be clear like glass and either amber or cherry red in colour depending on the strain.

My wash experiment was motivated because I just couldn't conceive a quick 3 to 5-minute wash in alcohol around the zero Fahrenheit range could possibly dissolve the majority of the resin but once again I have proven myself wrong because it has absorbed at least 90% of my longer washes at room temperature which very well could hold a decent amount of chlorophyll and waxes.

So basically I found out what I wanted to despite the conclusions being the exact opposite of my intuition. Thanks for the additional information though Mr Celt; very informative for my future experiments. I think I will try for some clean washes just for the fun of it despite taking my resin orally.

Re-reading your post I am curious if you cook your oil to decarb it or just to evaporate the alcohol. I ask because I decarb my dry bud in an oven before I soak it in alcohol since I don't smoke but it instead take it orally. I think doing it this way may make my oil darker because I see no difference in color or opacity between my cold and longer warm soaks.

And I don't get how the time/heat used to evaporate the alcohol will produce a purer product; the impurities are in the wash and I don't see how the alcohol is evaporated would affect that; not disputing it just don't understand.

Hey Homer :)

My oil decarbs as it cooks and evaporates the alcohol. The reason I say it gets purer, meaning THC content, is because the longer you cook it, the more terpenes “burn” off which also makes it harder.

Terpenes are oils and THC is actually a crystal at room temperature. I have cooked for up to 24hrs and had oil that was like hard candy and would shatter if dropped.

Hope that helps and answers your questions, if not, give a yell :)

Hey Homer :)

My oil decarbs as it cooks and evaporates the alcohol. The reason I say it gets purer, meaning THC content, is because the longer you cook it, the more terpenes “burn” off which also makes it harder.

Terpenes are oils and THC is actually a crystal at room temperature. I have cooked for up to 24hrs and had oil that was like hard candy and would shatter if dropped.

Hope that helps and answers your questions, if not, give a yell :)
Thank you, Celt; that was very informative and did answer my questions nicely. I think to get the desired clear or honey color I will have to stop decarbing before I do the alcohol wash.

I just couldn't conceive a quick 3 to 5-minute wash in alcohol around the zero Fahrenheit range could possibly dissolve the majority of the resin but once again I have proven myself wrong because it has absorbed at least 90% of my longer washes at room temperature
I do two washes, one for three minutes and a second wash for 6 minutes. The second wash, also at cold temps, should make up for a good amount of the difference. ;)

Milk containers, check
I had fallen about 5 pages behind, Shed. And, as usual, I thoroughly enjoyed catching up! I must admit I was a bit disappointed that you haven't introduced any new grow containers. My money was on a plant being grown in a milk carton (hint, hint).

Your plants look great! :Rasta:

20200618_172825.jpg

Clones went in after rooting, gonna get them to 18" one way or another and repot(maybe) for finishing outside. Another 3 weeks might do it. These are my backups/moms
Yeah, that porch had no gutters so it dealt some damage over the years. We just got the place, family passed away and left it to my girl. 100 y/old house.

Back
Top Bottom