InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Hey Shed! Chocolope and Power Plant are looking fantastic. :thumb: I have a quick question that I think I might already know the answer to... My autos are on day 83 and I was really hoping to harvest two of them tomorrow. I've been eyeing the trichomes every day but I think they could use another few days at least. Always grateful for your expertise. :Namaste:

Gelato

IMG_20200701_135623_BURST20.jpg
IMG_20200701_135236_BURST20.jpg

Californian Snow

IMG_20200701_150345.jpg
IMG_20200701_134720.jpg

My autos are on day 83 and I was really hoping to harvest two of them tomorrow. I've been eyeing the trichomes every day but I think they could use another few days at least.
I think you are in the harvest window. They look kinda ready now, but could also go a couple more days without any issue.

We are on day 48 for both the Chocolope and the Power Plant,
They are both looking like they are off to a good start! :thumb:
I will probably flip them rather then letting them go au natural with the shortening days to make sure they finish before the damp of fall.
Probably a wise move to keep them under the lights at night. My outdoor plants are already showing preflower pistils going the "au natural" route.

The brownies last night turned out pretty good. It didn't change the flavor at all. I only had a nibble so I don't know how strong they are yet

The brownies last night turned out pretty good. It didn't change the flavor at all. I only had a nibble so I don't know how strong they are yet

I'm sure either way they'll get eaten. :D

I did an 8x8 pan of salted caramel brownies a month or so ago. They were fantastic. It's a shame the ol lady is type 2 already, so don't get to do the sweets very often. But now and then a small pan pops up. :D

I finally got the Golden Tiger harvest down to 62% RH, so here is the final weight:
Hi Shed, I am going back a little bit here, but I wondered what you thought of the Golden Tiger high? Sativa dominant isn't it. I saw some very positive reviews the other day and then tried to search on your thread to see how you found it.
It'll be interesting how the Chocolope and Power Plant go, I'm keen to learn more on the Sativa side of the genetics. Cheers.

Without further ado, here is the Monday night update, with some pics of the @Weedseedsexpress plants!

We are on day 48 for both the Chocolope and the Power Plant, and I need them to get much bigger before they flower, so they are in the shed at night under about 220w of Samsung LEDs. I will probably flip them rather then letting them go au natural with the shortening days to make sure they finish before the damp of fall.

Enough talking, pics!

Chocolope:

Awesome Shed!!

Hiya Shed. Lots of good stuff in the last few pages. :thanks:
The Chocolope and Power Plant look great and of course the top view is the best ;) I just dropped two and two of the weedseedsexpress Lithium OG Kush and Pinkman Goo but haven't updated anywhere yet. Stay well.

Good evening, Mr. Shed.

I would like to start following your journal if that is okay with you? I'm already planning my next grow and this time, I'm planning on growing in ProMix and Miss @Amy Gardner advised me that that is what you grow in and since I like and respect you, I figure you will be a valuable resource. :battingeyelashes:
Here. I brought some treats:

:yummy::morenutes::popcorn:
:passitleft:

Definitely post your results here Homer! As I recall, the reason for freezing and the quick-wash is to prevent as much chlorophyll from ending up in your finished product, which is why pale yellow is the gold standard.
Here is a pic of my results and if you would like to check out the agonizing details here is the link.

Final combined Test.jpg

Here is a pic of my results and if you would like to check out the agonizing details here is the link.

Final combined Test.jpg
Next, you need to look at the color of the two oils from the longer, higher temp soaks. I'm betting that the longer soaks at the higher temps pulled more plant waxes & chlorophyl so they will have a greener color. The shorter/colder soak will be the most "pure". ;)

Next, you need to look at the color of the two oils from the longer, higher temp soaks. I'm betting that the longer soaks at the higher temps pulled more plant waxes & chlorophyl so they will have a greener color. The shorter/colder soak will be the most "pure". ;)
Yes, I do agree with you Mr. Krip that the shorter/colder soak would most likely be the purest but because I consume my resin orally instead of smoking it the waxes and chlorophyll are not really pertinent to me since I can’t taste them as I said on the full report on my journal I left a link to.

I only filtered with an 80 µm filter instead of coffee filters also but surprisingly the cold sample didn’t seem any lighter in color than the longer soaks. I’m sure there is a difference but not nearly as much as I expected. I think my next experiment will be to do four samples all with the freezer method with varying times five minutes and longer and coffee filtering.

Yes, I do agree with you Mr. Krip that the shorter/colder soak would most likely be the purest but because I consume my resin orally instead of smoking it the waxes and chlorophyll are not really pertinent to me since I can’t taste them as I said on the full report on my journal I left a link to.

I only filtered with an 80 µm filter instead of coffee filters also but surprisingly the cold sample didn’t seem any lighter in color than the longer soaks. I’m sure there is a difference but not nearly as much as I expected. I think my next experiment will be to do four samples all with the freezer method with varying times five minutes and longer and coffee filtering.
Well, of course whatever you prefer is best for you, but if you're making the RSO for medicine (which I do), I believe you want the purest product possible which also helps with more accurate & consistant dosing. I did find it interesting that you seemed to get a higher yield on the 1 hour soak than the 1 day soak at the same temp, though, but the difference is so small, it could be an extra drop from the filter. :hmmmm:

Well, of course whatever you prefer is best for you, but if you're making the RSO for medicine (which I do), I believe you want the purest product possible which also helps with more accurate & consistant dosing. I did find it interesting that you seemed to get a higher yield on the 1 hour soak than the 1 day soak at the same temp, though, but the difference is so small, it could be an extra drop from the filter. :hmmmm:
Actually, I didn't read that people filter their washes through a coffee filter until after I did my experiment so in my future experiments I will do so for a cleaner product since most people smoke and would like that info. The only reason I'm hesitant to do it is that whatever moisture is left in the coffee filter is just lost product but I will do it for the sake of, "science", LOL.

And yes the damn incongruity of the day-long soak recovery being smaller than the hour one is very irksome. As I said on my Journal I am 99.99% sure I didn't mix samples up because I labeled so carefully but if people want to assume I pulled a Homer I won't argue. It is a small inconsistency but I think it shows that after an hour I recovered everything that was recoverable. I have one that I soaked for a week which is still evaporating so that should complete the story.

Incoming multi-quote storm! Have I really not been here since Monday? Oof.

But first, a math question for those inclined (@BeezLuiz @FelipeBlu, @West Hippie et al.):
If I calculate my QWET at 70% THC and my finished product is 2.1g, I have figured that I need 147ml of coconut oil to make 10mg/ml THC capsules.

I used a 100% efficiency rate for the infusion because every bit of the THC ends up in the capsules.

Does that seem right? I ask because when I run the formula for the original 20g I started with @ 15% THC, I need 240ml coconut oil at 80% efficiency to get to 10mg/ml. Why do I get more capsules if I don't use QWET? I must be off somewhere.

I await your feedback before I make the capsules...

I wish my DDA looked that good.
Comparing any DDA to any other DDA is an exercise in futility! 100% crap shoot.
Very nice plants as always Shed!
I don't know but sometimes it feels they do better without my constant attention... This should mean I have super colas in my tents right now.... :laughtwo: Opened the Veg tent the other day to look for a plastic plate and immediately felt erg to start over again.
Thanks Crazy! Hold off with that erg urge until the weather starts to cool (or print yourself a better light cooling system :cheesygrinsmiley: ).
Interesting. I had looked at another extraction device that used alcohol under a vacuum. Short of it was it let you reclaim the alcohol for reuse, and still gave up the rso. I’d have to look up the name. It was down to that and a dabpress. Press won out, but only because I can use it for more than just making rosin. I've already pressed some mint for flavor extract, and it came out great.
If I did this on a regular basis I would feel the need to buy a press and extractohol and a distiller. There is enough left in the pucks to make QWET worthwhile.
I use a fairly inexpensive alcohol/water distiller to make RSO and can reclaim about 85% of the alcohol. It does not do it under vacuum and you don't go directly to RSO - you still have to finish the last of the evaporation on a hot plate, or something similar. Those hot plates are only about $20, though, so they're cheap, it's just an extra step.
If you're making RSO (or CCO if you prefer) then a distiller is definitely worth it. As I mentioned, if I had a medical need than much more would be invested in this process.
Looking good Shed
:thanks:
Nice update, Shed- I Love the near perfect symmetry of that Chocolope!
Glad you're doing ok- we miss you too!
Thanks for stopping by carcass! It does look symmetrical from the top, and from the side it's a hot mess :).
Lovely update shed. The blue of your table tennis table (guessing?) makes a beautiful water-like backdrop :love:
Table tennis table it is! It's gotten really faded but still plays well. Thanks Amy!
I didn't strain the bud I left it in the butter I made so these will be a new adventure.
A number of folks use the leftover mash from infusions for brownies, so you're in good company!
But yes I will post my results here also when the final results are in.
Thanks!
Did p mail hazmat to u in usps....lol
that looks good.
LOL!
Drive-by;;
girls look happy healthy............. oh and bushy........
Thanks Norcali!
Go Chocolope! Hey Sheddy. Cruising through
:ciao: Professor.
I've been eyeing the trichomes every day but I think they could use another few days at least. Always grateful for your expertise
If you haven't taken it down yet I would have said give it a few more days. Sunday I'm thinking.
They are both looking like they are off to a good start!
Probably a wise move to keep them under the lights at night. My outdoor plants are already showing preflower pistils going the "au natural" route.
Sage advice BL, thanks! I'd like them to double in size before I flip, but I'm not sure I'll wait that long.
How did they hit?
It's only Hazmat in the blue states!
If only the world were that neat!
"In the United States, it is illegal to sell the 190-proof variety in California, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, Washington, West Virginia, and Virginia."

Turning all those red states blue would be quite the feat. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Thanks again!
Hi Shed, I am going back a little bit here, but I wondered what you thought of the Golden Tiger high? Sativa dominant isn't it. I saw some very positive reviews the other day and then tried to search on your thread to see how you found it.
It'll be interesting how the Chocolope and Power Plant go, I'm keen to learn more on the Sativa side of the genetics. Cheers.
The jars are still curing but the tester high was all head and eyeballs!
Awesome Shed!!
:thanks: WSE!
Hiya Shed. Lots of good stuff in the last few pages.
The Chocolope and Power Plant look great and of course the top view is the best ;) I just dropped two and two of the weedseedsexpress Lithium OG Kush and Pinkman Goo but haven't updated anywhere yet. Stay well.
Always nice to have you stop by MrS. Thanks!
I would like to start following your journal if that is okay with you?
You are most welcome to join the crew here HG! It's not as busy as it was before the lockdown when I had much more time, but the good folks here keep this place alive.
I'm planning on growing in ProMix and Miss @Amy Gardner advised me that that is what you grow in and since I like and respect you, I figure you will be a valuable resource.
Thanks! I should be getting here a bit more often because I've been allowed back at work a few days a week :).
Here. I brought some treats:
:thanks:
Thanks for the report back Homer! I can't tell from the pictures but are your final weights after complete evaporation of all the alcohol? And as Mr. Krip mentioned, having more weight from a shorter time is confusing.
This is what I've been led to believe. Thanks!
consume my resin orally instead of smoking it the waxes and chlorophyll are not really pertinent to me since I can’t taste them
Indeed! The only difference for you would come if you tried to calculate your THC % or true return on investment.
Hey there Shed driving by saying high!
:ciao: bo!

The brownies I made didn't have the mush or leftovers strained out and they taste great. Maybe a little more weed taste then if I had strained the butter. I will just use the matter when making butter and Not strain as much of the bud etc.. In fact that will be a little more fiber in my diet Lol anyway my experiment turned out even better then I expected

:surf:

But first, a math question for those inclined (@BeezLuiz @FelipeBlu, @West Hippie et al.):
If I calculate my QWET at 70% THC and my finished product is 2.1g, I have figured that I need 147ml of coconut oil to make 10mg/ml THC capsules.

Your math is good. 0.7 x 2.1g = 1,470 mg

Back
Top Bottom