InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Lost in the dark is more apt. I'm just experimenting at this stage. I have two that I harvested with just the GF a little cal-mag and Pro Mix. They are both really loud smelling and didn't have too many problems but I feel that I can do better and hopefully the changes I've made will work out in the end.
Maybe I should just wait until all the experiments are in. :hmmmm: No reason I need to lead the pack on this organic top-dress thing, right?
Then maybe you shoooood.
LOL! Then maybe I will.
I'm happily at your disposal.
And never shall you be disposed of. :hug:

I have some yellowing too and am thinking it’s N deficiency, I added 1-0-0 CalMag to the next watering. I want to get ahead of it if I can, hoping someone can pinpoint this before it becomes an epidemic among all these new GF users.

Nah. You can watch my fool-ass struggle. I'll tell/show you what not to do.
Sounds like a plan... :thanks:
I have some yellowing too and am thinking it’s N deficiency, I added 1-0-0 CalMag to the next watering. I want to get ahead of it if I can, hoping someone can pinpoint this before it becomes an epidemic among all these new GF users.
Lowest N-only I have is this:
CalMag_analysis.png

Blue Planet Calmag Pro powder. A little goes a long way at 8% N, not to mention the high calcium number. And they recommend:
61LpX5S68tL._AC_SX355_.jpg

which I will not be doing! If I stuck with the GF I'd probably start with 0.5g.

I didn't blend in the GF when I transplanted it
I think that may be your problem. Since you didn’t blend any in, your new roots are growing into a nutrient deficient substrate. The insoluble N, which makes up 80% of the N, and any other insoluble nutes, haven’t had a chance to work down to the lower part of your 7 gallon pots in sufficient quantities or at least that’s my theory.

If I stuck with the GF I'd probably start with 0.5g.
Sounds like a good plan. On the GF website they say that:

“Geoflora Nutrients can be used as a stand-alone system, or as a base to compliment your favorite liquid and dry nutrient additives”

So it sounds like you could use some MC if you so desire or think if you that would be better/easier.

Hey, Shed. You've prompted an early update from me. :Rasta:

I went down and took a peek and a pic of my GF plant tonight (instead of tomorrow).

She and most of her tentmates are day 67 post flip. However her leaf food is getting eaten up at a higher rate than all the others. No other plant in there has this many nearly spent, yellow leaves.

On the upside, this has been occurring over the past 3-4 days. But during that same period her buds, which had been kind of airy, have firmed up impressively over such a short period!

IMG_2571.jpg

That's all I've got.

You probably already posted it, but did you amend your substrate with GF nutes before planting?
I did not, BigD13. But I did do a few other things to supplement the GF.

I think that may be your problem. Since you didn’t blend any in, your new roots are growing into a nutrient deficient substrate.
I like that theory except for the fact that you are supposed to be able to top-dress with this and have it filter down to the roots with each watering.
The insoluble N, which makes up 80% of the N, and any other insoluble nutes, haven’t had a chance to work down to the lower part of your 7 gallon pots in sufficient quantities or at least that’s my theory.
They're only in 1 gallon at the moment, but that is a lot of insoluble nitrogen! Is it relying on the fact that eventually it will be broken down by the microbes that are supposed to be in this stuff as well?
Sounds like a good plan. On the GF website they say that:
“Geoflora Nutrients can be used as a stand-alone system, or as a base to compliment your favorite liquid and dry nutrient additives”
So it sounds like you could use some MC if you so desire or think if you that would be better/easier.
I would not be using GF with MC as I can't see the benefit in using both, but I can see going with a nitrogen supplement like a cal-mag.
Hmmmm. Could a GeoFlora/MC blend be a "normal" pattern for feeding?
Not for me thanks! What's the advantage? And how much trial and error is involved in trying to sort out how much of each to use? We seem to be sorting out what GF needs with just some N or cal-mag. Try doing that with a full stand-alone nutrient like MC would be a lot more work.
Hey, Shed. You've prompted an early update from me.
Glad to help GDB, thanks for posting it.
No other plant in there has this many nearly spent, yellow leaves.
Oof!
But during that same period her buds, which had been kind of airy, have firmed up impressively over such a short period!
Well...you hear folks say that we're not growing leaves, we're growing buds! And though that is a lot of yellow in comparison, there are still a ton of green fans on it.

I think maybe you just need to feed it more. Carcass “over fed” his with no ill affects. The GF veg nute’s NPK is 5-3-4 which isn’t a lot compared to something like MC or some of Jack’s stuff. Also, 4% of the N is insoluble, so maybe it‘s not getting what it needs fast enough like it does with something like MC.
I over feed as well sometimes. It's forgiving that way.

I like that theory except for the fact that you are supposed to be able to top-dress with this and have it filter down to the roots with each watering.
According to the GF feeding schedule, your first top dress is week 2. At week 00 (transplant) you’re supposed to amend it into the soil.

Is it relying on the fact that eventually it will be broken down by the microbes that are supposed to be in this stuff as well?
Yes. The first 3 ingredients in the GF veg are: Alfalfa Meal, Bat Guano, Blood Meal. I’m not sure about bat guano, but alfalfa & blood meal are both insoluble.

Also it seems that the folks who did not amend their soil before planting are showing deficiencies, where as @Carcass who did amend his soil, is not having issues so far.

CEE03448-A6F8-4E61-B85A-6A82EC50BD93.png

That's the only way I've used it so far too. Hmmm
True, but aren't you top dressing your already organic soil? Or are you using it on the un-amended stuff?
According to the GF feeding schedule, your first top dress is week 2. At week 00 (transplant) you’re supposed to amend it into the soil.
Thanks Big D! I somehow got the feeling you could change to this mid-grow.

Does that translate to being 2 weeks behind when you start and you can catch up? Or will you never catch up even if you add some N for two weeks?
Yes. The first 3 ingredients in the GF veg are: Alfalfa Meal, Bat Guano, Blood Meal. I’m not sure about bat guano, but alfalfa & blood meal are both insoluble.
Damn. That puts a big burden on the built-in microbes to get moving, even if you mix it in at planting. Most folks cook for at least a month with those ingredients.
Also it seems that the folks who did not amend their soil before planting are showing deficiencies, where as @Carcass who did amend his soil, is not having issues so far.
Well at least it looks like it works if you follow the directions! Maybe I'll mix up a couple of gallons of the Blue Planet Calmag Pro at a low dilution and water with that for a while to see if it recovers.

:thanks: for all your input BigD!

Speaking of plants being fed with GeoFlora, how about a Tin Can Kush 2 guess-the-sex update!

Yes @Heavenly Hybrid, I already know the answer to this one. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Three seeds, all females. I wonder if these were fem to begin with! The breeder has been incommunicado for months now, so there was no way to check, and they weren't marked. Oh well. I'll keep a clone in case it turns out to be a winner, and maybe I'll try the STS on it too, as long as I'll be mixing some up when Chris gets back from the Gulf.

That's it for me today. I hope it's sunny and warm where you are. :cool:

Stay safe!

I have no experience with the GF nutes but I did read in one journal that someone had amended/mixed their medium almost a month prior to planting/transplanting in it so that the insoluble nutrients had some time to start breaking down and be readily available when a plant was put in.

This makes sense to me, water it a few times as it sits, let the break down happen, then you're not waiting for the break down to happen while the plant is in the medium.

To me it seems that could be the issue with you're yellowing leaves, that nitrogen just isn't available yet. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just here collecting info half the time lol

Does that translate to being 2 weeks behind when you start
I would say yes.

Or will you never catch up even if you add some N for two weeks?
I think if you add soluble N you may be able to. My only question would be what and how much of the other stuff like P, K, etc that is in GF is soluble or insoluble ?

Maybe I'll mix up a couple of gallons of the Blue Planet Calmag Pro at a low dilution and water with that for a while to see if it recovers.
I think that’s a good plan. Also, the fact that your plants are still in 1 gallon pots may be affecting ”things”. Perhaps an up-pot is in your near future. When you do, just make sure to amend your substrate with the appropriate GF nutes.

what and how much of the other stuff like P, K, etc that is in GF is soluble or insoluble ?
You're asking me? You're the label reader!
the fact that your plants are still in 1 gallon pots may be affecting ”things”. Perhaps an up-pot is in your near future.
The TCK1 will get transplanted soon as it's starting to take off. I'll slide the roots out this weekend and have a look.
When you do, just make sure to amend your substrate with the appropriate GF nutes.
Will do! And maybe I should mix up the new pot and water it now... :hmmmm:
Only my amended LOS so far. Outdoors is going to be different. But that's then.
Not surprising that the GF works with your already amazing LOS! I'm looking forward to your outside grow for sure. :yahoo:
Nice stroke of luck getting 3 for 3 ladies!
I know right! If I had known I would have just dropped one. ;)

Back
Top Bottom