InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Shed your confusing request on the GF thread get deleted too? I get the impression my post wasn't flattering to their image so they deleted it :rolleyes:. I guess I should mind my own business?

1618613063598.png

Maybe I'm too pessimistic, I guess they updated their chart to fl oz.

1618613424448.png

Shed your confusing request on the GF thread get deleted too? I get the impression my post wasn't flattering to their image so they deleted it :rolleyes:. I guess I should mind my own business?
Don't take it personally! They cleaned up the thread to make it more on-topic, took out multiple concerns on the same issue, and got rid of the snark. Then they went back to the beginning and started answering them in order.

They dealt with the issue of ounces being confusing here, so I'm good.

The oil was in the oven at 170ºF for 8 hours on Saturday, left in the cooling oven overnight, run another 8 hours on Sunday, refrigerated overnight, and will be in the oven another 8 hours today. The jars get shaken whenever anyone remembers.
Oh no, my question did not post earlier. Shed, was the weed decarbed before it went into the oven with the oil? I have confused myself. I have coconut oil in the oven at 170 F and it is close to the end of its first 8 hour stint at 170. I did NOT decarb the weed before. Have I misunderstood? Must I turn up the temp and decarb?

Oh no, my question did not post earlier. Shed, was the weed decarbed before it went into the oven with the oil? I have confused myself. I have coconut oil in the oven at 170 F and it is close to the end of its first 8 hour stint at 170. I did NOT decarb the weed before. Have I misunderstood? Must I turn up the temp and decarb?
Oh, yes! Even 8 hours at 170ºF won't decarb the THC. Luckily the smoke point of unrefined coconut oil is 350ºF. You should probably go longer than the 240º for 60 minutes though since the oil has an insulating effect on the THCa molecules. How long is tough to say, but I'd start at 120 minutes and then lick the spoon and wait an hour!

:reading420magazine::ciao:
Sitting back and learning stuff shed.
All caught up, stopping by to say hi
and I hope all is well in the shed.

Mega Saturday night seed-drop/transplant update!

Let's start with the seed side. @BooWho2 and I both decided it was time to drop seeds for our summer grows. It's not a comparison or the same varieties or anything like that. But since we'll both be growing outside we figured why not start together.

So last night I scarified three seeds and dropped them in bowls of distilled water (didn't do the H2O2 soak because I've run out). By this morning, two had split open, and by this afternoon, so had the third. So let's get down to it!

First summer grow variety is Chiquita Banana fem from @Weed Seeds Express! It's a 40% Indica / 60% Sativa cross of OG Kush x Banana unknown, and WSE describes it thusly: Chiquita Banana has the reputation of being one of the most powerful marijuana strains in the world. She certainly has spunk, which of course with a THC content of up to 29% should come as no surprise.

It split within 12 hours of the water drop:

This afternoon's split (18 hours after water drop) was the #1 choice in the voting last year: Jack Herer fem, also from WSE. It's a 45% Indica / 55% Sativa cross of Haze x Shiva Skunk x Northern Lights #5, and here is the description: Feminized Jack Herer seeds offer the best elements of Sativa and Indica, in terms of cultivation and in its effect. Furthermore, Jack Herer won nine Cannabis Cup medals over the years, which speaks for itself. The effects are creative, energetic, euphoric, focused, happy, and social.

Sounds good to me! Herer it is:

And the last of the Summer Grow is my final Sour G seed. It's a reg, so I'm hoping for another female like my first one from January 2018. I only had two seeds from the former member here who bred it, and it's a cross of Sour Diesel and Gorilla Bomb (which is GG x THC Bomb). I had a mother plant for a while but it succumbed to some sort of root issue and that was that.

Here it was after 12 hours in water:

I always cut open the bottom of my peat pucks, and I cut the cover off completely before I plant them. You don't have to, but I really recommend the extra 10 seconds of insurance:

And here is my about-a-pencil-point-depth (from the exposed wood part) however-it-lands seed dropping process:

Then I cover it well with more damp peat.

Here the three of them sit in the Shoebox of Light®:

Okay, let's move on to the transplants (yes, plural!).

I took a look at the Red Dragon roots (day 64) and it was time to upcan! Here it was this morning:

And here are the roots:

I used a razor blade and scored them down the side and across the bottom every few inches around.

I also remembered that I wanted to add the @DYNOMYCO mycorrhizae!

But I wanted to be able to sprinkle it on the roots of the plant before I dropped it in the hole (after I wet the roots with a spray bottle to make it stick), so I used a rock and did a mortar/pestle thing with it:

That's better! The soil had already been amended with Dynomyco last weekend when I prepped the pot, but I took some of the powder and sprinkled it in the hole as well.

Here is it after transplant and watering at 4.5g MC equivalent:

So what was the other transplant I hear you not asking because you either forgot or don't really care and have already liked this post and moved on?

The Candida! It needed watering almost every day and looked kinda sad, so I looked at the roots and it was in definite need of more room. Here it was this afternoon on day 62:

And the jam-packed roots:

I scored these as well, but didn't add any mycorrhizae because I'm fine with slow growing roots on this one. I only moved it to a 2 gallon GeoPot, as it still needs to fit into the box when it's seed-making time.

And here it is in its new slightly larger home:

In other news, I top-dressed the Tin Can Kush 1 with ½ cup of GeoFlora Veg, most of it over the old rootball, and I watered it in with 4.5g/gallon equivalent nutes. I hope this helps!

That was my busy Saturday, and it's a good thing I got it all done today. Tomorrow is going to be too hot to want to do much in the sun!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend. :slide:

So what was the other transplant I hear you not asking because you either forgot or don't really care and have already liked this post and moved on?
Cynicalasides prolly best dug in to the compost :cheesygrinsmiley:
Top work, Shed :high-five: that red dragon is looking particularly splendid.
2 gallon GeoPot, as it still needs to fit into the box when it's seed-making time.
:thumb:

Mega Saturday night seed-drop/transplant update!
Very nice pics & update.

So last night I scarified three seeds
So, what method have you found works best?

I used a razor blade and scored them down the side and across the bottom every few inches around.
That’s what I do also. I wonder if most growers do.

I used a rock and did a mortar/pestle thing with it
Great idea.

or don't really care
Well.....maybe some folks do. Pity.

Also, I must say, your yard/grass looks very healthy.

Plants are looking great Shed! Seeing plants out in the natural sunlight looks so...right! I wish I could do it.

Sounds good to me! Herer it is:
Please don't do that.
I also remembered that I wanted to add the @DYNOMYCO mycorrhizae!
What's your take on the Dynomyco? You seem to really like it.
so I used a rock and did a mortar/pestle thing with it:
I market a better rock for just that purpose if you're interested.
I top-dressed the Tin Can Kush 1 with ½ cup of GeoFlora Veg, most of it over the old rootball, and I watered it in with 4.5g/gallon equivalent nutes.
This confused me. Did you use GF and another type of nutrient?

moved it to a 2 gallon GeoPot,
Everything looking nice and healthy Shed! Love your updates, always lots of info and great pics!!

It looks like you have the geopots with the Velcro for easy transplant. I saw those on the geopot site and was intrigued. How do you like those? Does you feel it really helps make transplanting easier?

It's obvious that my joke about no one remembering or reading that far went over like a led zeppelin. :sorry: gang!
Cynicalasides prolly best dug in to the compost :cheesygrinsmiley:
Top work, Shed :high-five: that red dragon is looking particularly splendid.
Thanks DD! To the compost heap...and beyond! Chris seems to be having a great time on the Gulf coast, so I'm not sure when the STS fixings will be arriving. Hope the weather changes down there. ;)
Very nice pics & update.
Thanks BigD!
So, what method have you found works best?
I used to use a matchbox lined with pritty gritty sandpaper, but seeds would occasionally come flying out during the shaking process. :eek: Now I use a mini-altoids tin (they are not a sponsor) lined with pritty gritty sandpaper. It clicks shut!
That’s what I do also. I wonder if most growers do.
Before I saw @Amy Gardner do this, scratching the sides and bottom with my fingernails was my technique. Now I save that for my wife. :)
Great idea.
Thanks, though I'm sure GDB has a better idea.
Well.....maybe some folks do. Pity.

Also, I must say, your yard/grass looks very healthy.
It's amazing what you can do with plastic these days! (It's turf. ;))
Please don't do that.
Just this once, I promise.
What's your take on the Dynomyco? You seem to really like it.
I have never run side-by-side clones to see what difference mycorrhizae makes but it definitely seems to be a thing, and since @DYNOMYCO is a sponsor here and I won two bags of it, I certainly figured I should not only use it, but show it off!
I market a better rock for just that purpose if you're interested.
This does not surprise me. GDBedrock?
This confused me. Did you use GF and another type of nutrient?
Indeed I did. Not sure if you saw my post Friday where I mentioned my reasoning behind doing just that, but here it is:
I transplanted it into the ProMix HP with GF amended it, but the roots are still mostly in the original 1 gallon area that is unamended. So the plant isn't getting what the GF is supposed to provide.

What I will be doing is top-dressing the original rootball with GF and watering with synthetics for the next couple of weeks while I wait for the new roots to grow into the amended soil. I'll know when they have by whether the pot is drying out as expected.
Does that make it clearer?

Plants are looking great Shed! Seeing plants out in the natural sunlight looks so...right! I wish I could do it.
Thanks GDB! I do consider myself lucky to be able to do this outside.
Nice update shed things should really pick up now in the bigger pots .
Thank you sb! I sure hope so. TCK1 has stalled, but transplanting can do that sometimes.
@InTheShed Your Red Dragon is a strikingly good looking plant and I’m loving it.
Question: What is the probe thing sticking out of your peat puck?
And by the way another top notch update.
Thanks Nev! If I ignore the yellow lower leaves (which doesn't seem to be progressing any more), it's a lovely shade of green.

And that's a temperature probe from my Klein Tools multi-meter. I like to keep the peat pucks at 80ºF.
Everything looking nice and healthy Shed! Love your updates, always lots of info and great pics!!
It looks like you have the geopots with the Velcro for easy transplant. I saw those on the geopot site and was intrigued. How do you like those? Does you feel it really helps make transplanting easier?
Thank you Tommy! Funny thing about velcro pots is I find it a lot easier to transplant from plastic. Slide out the rootball and drop it into a new home. That's why my 1 gallon plants are always in plastic (with cloth around to protect the roots from the sun).

With velcro, the rootball tends to break up a bit when you pull the pot apart. [Maybe I should try having the soil damper in the velcro pots than I do in plastic...that might help.] But since cloth pots are a lot better for the roots and the 2g pots were the velcro version, that's where it went.

All that said, I would never get non-velcro cloth pots in that size, because it would be much harder to get the roots out whole if I had to pull the bag down. Easy in bigger pots, not so in small ones.

I hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom