InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Looking very nice over here Shed!

I’ve actually been trying the only removing the growth tips before flower all the way up the stem with the exception of the very top ones for my pre flip clean up and leaving the leaves and I’ve really liked the results! It’s cut down on the work of removing popcorn come day 21 and allows the plant to focus all its energy on the upper growth rather then growing popcorn that I’m going to cut off anyways! #No Larf.

I’ve actually been trying the only removing the growth tips before flower all the way up the stem with the exception of the very top ones for my pre flip clean up and leaving the leaves and I’ve really liked the results! It’s cut down on the work of removing popcorn come day 21 and allows the plant to focus all its energy on the upper growth rather then growing popcorn that I’m going to cut off anyways! #No Larf.
I'm always a bit hesitant to make that decision until I see what the plant is going to do in stretch, especially since I rarely grow the same variety twice these days. Also, I tend to grow round balls rather than flat top perfect canopies like you. :)

Either way, getting to #nolarf is the goal. Big end colas, no trimming itty bitty buds!
Looks great Shed. I hope your up pot helps with the root situation. Thank you for explaining the trimming with the pics. Now I finally understand what you are talking about! Also, happy belated Father's day.
Thank you Boo! I'm glad to be able to make it clear with the pics. :high-five:
Excellent example. You take it off much higher then I would have expected.
Thanks Nev! As N and I mentioned above, we are #nolarf. If the flower won't end up connecting to the main cola on the end of the stem, off it comes.

I wouldn't trim this tight if they were autos, or I needed every single drop of THC the plant could possibly offer. I can't say for sure whether trimming this way makes the top buds so much bigger as to make up for the larf I removed (I think it does), but either way it saves me hours of fiddly trimming I have no patience for.

The Sour G and Chiquita Banana went into a 75/25 soil/perlite mix, and the Jack Herer (per GDB and BigD's suggestions) went into almost straight Kellogg Patio Plus potting soil, with a little bit of perlite thrown in.
Just to set the record straight, GDB did not recommend "with a little bit of perlite thrown in." Shed, I think you have a perlite fix going on from you Promix days (years) and soil just seems too dense. :Rasta:

Last for the day are some pollen sac pics:
Stay away from those things! Didn't I tell you about the movie?

You're in there shaking them? Sheesh.

went into almost straight Kellogg Patio Plus potting soil, with a little bit of perlite thrown in.
Ha! I‘m the same way. I always seem to add a little perlite to my potting mix.

Then I weighed them (utility scale
Good job but dude, it’s the 21st century. Get yourself a digital scale. You can probably get a good deal today on Prime Day. ;)

Just a helpful hint from your friends at 420magazine!
Your plants are looking good. Excellent pics and description of your thinning / #nolarf process.

I watered them with an approximately 4g/gallon equivalent,
I'm a little confused. 4g/gal of what? :hmmmm:
Before and after for the Red Dragon:
Your Red Dragon is a beautiful grower. I started one this year to give to LiquidIntel, and to me it looks like the best one of his six. Not bad for a freebie that's been sitting in my drawer for about 3 years.
Last for the day are some pollen sac pics:
That's so encouraging! :high-five: Are the pollen sacs still just in the lower part of the plant?
Either way, getting to #nolarf is the goal. Big end colas, no trimming itty bitty buds!
That's a great suggestion - I think I might give that a try! ;)

Highya ITS,

Love your informative post!! Well constructed, great pics, very descriptive. My favorite part is comparing the before and after pics. Amazing how much you trimmed off and they still look so good! Great job. Thanks. Happy Smokin'

i do a pretty aggressive defol as well. 2 -3 times in veg, more if it goes long, and once 2 -3 wks after stretch.

to me it seems to increase production overall. that could be due to other factors though.
it does increase veg time. i don't mind as it deceases trimming immensely. i'd do it for that reason alone.

Let's start with Saturday when it was time to try something new for the Summer (probably Fall) three. Before doing the transplanting, I needed to rinse the perlite:

forgot this bit ... as someone who uses a lot of perlite ... :cheesygrinsmiley:

it sucks but i find dry sifting better than rinsing. gets way more out, but you'll still get flour dust with either. you don't notice as much rinsing as it clumps on the larger pieces. in hempy i get far less perlite dust accumulation in the res when i dry sift over rinsing.

since you're using it in soil i honestly wouldn't fret. i wouldn't even bother cleaning it as much as i do for hempy. it's that neutral.

That's so encouraging! Are the pollen sacs still just in the lower part of the plant?
Funny you should ask BL! I got a bunch of pics of the Candidas this morning for the Tuesday update. :)

Since I sprayed the entire plant, I am getting pollen sacs all over. Here are a few scattered across the plant:

And here are more closeups than anyone really needs:

Still no visible pollen.

Here is the tent this morning, all on flip day 29:

This is one of the top flowers on the Candida from seed:

And the Candida clone:

Not a lot of white pistils on them, so either there has been some unseen pollination happening with my daily shaking or they might be getting past the age of being receptive to pollen. If this doesn't work I will make some modifications to the process and start again with the clones I took. Hope springs eternal!

On to the quotes...
Ha! I‘m the same way. I always seem to add a little perlite to my potting mix.
Ha! Tell that to GDB. :high-five:
Good job but dude, it’s the 21st century. Get yourself a digital scale. You can probably get a good deal today on Prime Day.
LOL! This just sits in the back of the closet. No one weighs themselves in my house, so the only time we use it is when we want to see what our dog weighs. My son picks her up, and she does not like it not one little bit!

I need monosilic acid for Prime Day, and it's more expensive than a scale for sure. :)
Your plants are looking good. Excellent pics and description of your thinning / #nolarf process.
Thanks BigD!
I'm a little confused. 4g/gal of what?
Of MC. That's what I had been using before making this switch to mixing nutes again, and the new mix is based on the PPM of nitrogen with MC at various g/gallon concentrations. Not sure if you read my posts a while back about using Hydrobuddy software to mix nutrients to hit specific targets/ratios for feeding plants. Let me know if you're interested and I'll find them for you.
Your Red Dragon is a beautiful grower. I started one this year to give to LiquidIntel, and to me it looks like the best one of his six. Not bad for a freebie that's been sitting in my drawer for about 3 years.
IKR! Can't remember how I ended up with two seeds, but they've been around for a couple of years for sure. The other one didn't sprout, but this one is doing rather well so far. :)
That's a great suggestion - I think I might give that a try!
Nah, you just dump all those into the bowl trimmer and wave your magic wand. Poooof! Trimmed and ready to go.
Highya ITS,

Love your informative post!! Well constructed, great pics, very descriptive. My favorite part is comparing the before and after pics. Amazing how much you trimmed off and they still look so good! Great job. Thanks. Happy Smokin'
Thanks Bode! It's good to know that folks get good info from my updates. Well...some of them anyway. :)
Your thinning is unite from what i had always been taught was to take the large fans to grow bigger buds , but make good since after understanding all the larf that turn out to be pretty much nothing in the end . Thanks for the very good pictorial too .
Thank you sb! I don't see any reason to take off leaves that the plant will regrow, unless you're in veg and are trying to redirect that growth elsewhere. In flower, let the plant focus on growing flowers rather than regrowing leaves.

And I really hate larf!
i do a pretty aggressive defol as well. 2 -3 times in veg, more if it goes long, and once 2 -3 wks after stretch.
to me it seems to increase production overall. that could be due to other factors though.
it does increase veg time. i don't mind as it deceases trimming immensely. i'd do it for that reason alone.
I may to some thinning earlier, but the big one is a week before flip, and then #nolarf after stretch.
forgot this bit ... as someone who uses a lot of perlite ...
it sucks but i find dry sifting better than rinsing. gets way more out, but you'll still get flour dust with either. you don't notice as much rinsing as it clumps on the larger pieces. in hempy i get far less perlite dust accumulation in the res when i dry sift over rinsing.
since you're using it in soil i honestly wouldn't fret. i wouldn't even bother cleaning it as much as i do for hempy. it's that neutral.
Thanks bluter! It ends up pretty clean using my two-pot method, and when the water backs up in the top pot and the perlite is floating, I can just plunge my hand in and unblock the weep holes where all the dust coagulated and clogged them.

Keeping the dust down seems like a good idea, as well as rinsing out the excess flouride. Takes but a few minutes!

Keeping the dust down seems like a good idea, as well as rinsing out the excess flouride. Takes but a few minutes!

just careful the water you use to rinse. if it's a hydro app the ph / other stuff changes along with the rinse water. this is not a factor when using with soil and hp promix type media.

if flat out hydro / perlite only use ro if possible or dry before using.

if it's a hydro app the ph / other stuff changes along with the rinse water. this is not a factor when using with soil and hp promix type media. if flat out hydro / perlite only use ro if possible or dry before using.
Thanks bluter...good to know for the hydro folks!
I would expect pollen in the next 10-14 days. Once those green sacs mature they should open right up.
Thanks Chef! In 10-14 days I doubt the pistils on the other plants will be receptive to pollen, so I sure hope I'm better at collecting it this time than I have been before. Can't use a mirror because of the bug sap again, so I'll have to go with the sieve and hope it works.

It's tough to fight the insects when you can't spray because of the pollen!

And I need to remember not put the pollen in the freezer so the moisture doesn't condense and disable it. Wish I had your cool test tube...that would fit right into my back pocket. ;)

Just set them out on paper in a warm closet for days until they’re bone dry. When they’re completely dry, pick the nanners off one by one with tweezers into a folded up plastic business card or old debit card. Holding the card with your index finger and thumb tap on the side of the card with a paintbrush Handle or chopstick... eventually you should see the pollen start to pile up. at which point you can remove the nanners, tilt the card into a vial and tap on it until it all falls in

Back
Top Bottom