InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Highya ITS,

I agree with SO! Very nice segment on mother root pruning! Also, I hope you and yours have a nice 4th of July celebration! Raining on the East Coast. Oh, well. Happy Smokin'

Congrats on the seeds, Shed! Perseverance pays off.

And, Happy Independence Day! I hope you're off doing something fun.

Page 1300!

I'll start catching up with what I missed here tonight and finish tomorrow. I hope you had a great weekend. :ciao:
Pulling out the clones and shaking off the soil that way gives you a good chance to see how strong the roots are.
I put my cuttings in clear cups inside solid cups, so I can see the roots as they grow...I recommend it highly! I would have done all the split clones that way but I don't have that many clear cups. :)

Now I'll judge the health by how fast they grow out the holes in the bottom now
There's quite a difference across the group. Allows you to select the strongest one or two for potting up.
True! Well...the difference part anyway. I planted anything with roots. :cheesygrinsmiley:
The scientific application of Darwinism. I like it!
It would be if I had been Darwinistic, but I gave them all a fighting chance. I might end up keeping two or three of that entire flat!
So happy that you got some seeds!! Well done, ol' chap!
Thank you VG! I can hardly wait for harvest day to see how many seeds I actually have. And then plant one to make sure it's viable...
Awesome root pruning tutorial Shed! Thanks! Happy 4th!
Thanks Otter! I hope you had a good one.
Highya ITS,
I agree with SO! Very nice segment on mother root pruning! Also, I hope you and yours have a nice 4th of July celebration! Raining on the East Coast. Oh, well. Happy Smokin'
Sorry about the rain Bode, but at least the plants are happy. :thumb: Thanks!
Congrats on the seeds, Shed! Perseverance pays off.
And, Happy Independence Day! I hope you're off doing something fun.
Perseverance is right! It's so nice that something finally happened after all this time, even it was seeds on the unexpected plant. :)

We went to a July 4th parade not to far away (much smaller than previous years...probably covid-related):
20210704_122125 parade.jpg

and then on to a big backyard barbecue at some friends'. Didn't have to go out for fireworks because they shoot illegal ones at the end of our street!
I knew I saw this somewhere. It's like you read my GSC thread before posting your root pruning tutorial again.
I'm good that way. ;)
I better jump in on this odd numbered milestone - congrats on 1300 pages Shed
Thanks 013! I'd never hit these kinds of page numbers without the great folks who subscribe here. I'd still be on page 10 talking to myself. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I'll drop this update when most of you are sleeping, and if you're not already this might do the trick. :zzzzzz:

You may recall that I have had some trouble with the pH rising in my ProMix HP due to the high nitrate nitrogen content of my (and most) fertilizer. The way to lower it is by using a nutrient with ~30% ammoniacal nitrogen content for a couple of weeks. The roots will lower the pH for you as they take up that form of N.

:thanks: science!

When I did my original slurry test on the Tin Can Kush and Red Dragon, I did not have the calibration fluid handy to reset the tester, and the results came back at 7.4. Way too high compared to the 5.5-6.0 range it's supposed to be.

For two weeks I've been running those two plants on a blend of nutes that include the ammoniacal N which should have lowered the pH of the ProMix, and this morning I tested them both again.

Here is the slurry test before I calibrated the pH pen. Red Dragon...6.4pH:

Tin Can Kush, also 6.4pH:

Better, but not ideal. Then I calibrated the pen using brand new 4.0 and 7.0 liquid.

Here is the actual RD pH:

And the TCK pH:

Perfecto (as my dad liked to say)! I'm back to using the MC-based mix, bumping the blended nutes even higher now for the final push in flower.

I'll try to get some plant pics in the morning. Morning! :ciao:

And remember to calibrate your pH pens people.

I'll drop this update when most of you are sleeping, and if you're not already this might do the trick. :zzzzzz:

You may recall that I have had some trouble with the pH rising in my ProMix HP due to the high nitrate nitrogen content of my (and most) fertilizer. The way to lower it is by using a nutrient with ~30% ammoniacal nitrogen content for a couple of weeks. The roots will lower the pH for you as they take up that form of N.

:thanks: science!

When I did my original slurry test on the Tin Can Kush and Red Dragon, I did not have the calibration fluid handy to reset the tester, and the results came back at 7.4. Way too high compared to the 5.5-6.0 range it's supposed to be.

For two weeks I've been running those two plants on a blend of nutes that include the ammoniacal N which should have lowered the pH of the ProMix, and this morning I tested them both again.

Here is the slurry test before I calibrated the pH pen. Red Dragon...6.4pH:

Tin Can Kush, also 6.4pH:

Better, but not ideal. Then I calibrated the pen using brand new 4.0 and 7.0 liquid.

Here is the actual RD pH:

And the TCK pH:

Perfecto (as my dad liked to say)! I'm back to using the MC-based mix, bumping the blended nutes even higher now for the final push in flower.

I'll try to get some plant pics in the morning. Morning! :ciao:

And remember to calibrate your pH pens people.
Brilliant fix!

Nice update on your clones. I’ve seen your root cutting before, but it’s nice to see it again as a reminder. You should have a lot of new root tips for good growth.

Good to see your use of ammoniacal nitrogen lowered the pH for you. Does the ammoniacal nitrogen have to be at least 30% or is there a range like 30 +/- a certain amount?

So the pH of your soil is lower than you thought after calibration correct? Is the 5.7-5.9 within the range you were looking for?

Tuesday update will be all plant pics, no meters!

Let's start with the Spring grow, both on day 144 and flip day 43. Here is the Red Dragon:

RD is pretty floppy and I need to keep tying it up to be able to get it through the shed door and keep it from falling over generally!

And the Tin Can Kush:

I don't know if anyone is going to like smoking it, but in terms of growing, it's really sturdy and needs no support so far. Neat and tidy, tidy and neat!

Moving on to the Candidas I put in flower in the hopes of pollinating them (also flip day 43):

The taller one is the sativa pheno from the last of my purchased seeds, and the shorter one is a clone descendant of one of the two I originally flowered in spring of 2018. Neither of them show any signs of seeds even though I shook the STS one over them almost daily back when they had pistils. Oh well!

The yellowing is because the flowering version of the top dress nutrient I tried doesn't seem to have enough nitrogen in it, so now they're on 4.5g/gal of MC.

Speaking of the STS one, here it is in the tent, again on flip day 43:

And some closeups:

I took some time to pluck more pollen sacs off to put in the drying box (in spite of Chris' instructions to leave them alone), because a) I really don't think I'm going to get some sort of pollen explosion this late in flower, and b) I need to get whatever pollen there may be off the plant. Why? Because I need to spray it soon for powdery mildew seen on the leaves here:

I've got a few more days before it becomes a huge problem, but the spray will deactivate any remaining pollen so I need to get it while I can.

I hope everyone's July 4th weekend went off without a hitch (US resident or not!), and that the week is underway well!

:ciao:

Quotes...
Brilliant fix!
Thanks Otter! The rep at ProMix gave that to me, and it works a charm every time. :)
Science FTW!
Srsly. :high-five:
Nice update on your clones. I’ve seen your root cutting before, but it’s nice to see it again as a reminder. You should have a lot of new root tips for good growth.
Thanks BigD! I did the last pruning in early March, so it seems to last about 4 months. I wonder if that will be the same in soil as it was in ProMix, and if the time of year will also have a major effect on it.
Good to see your use of ammoniacal nitrogen lowered the pH for you. Does the ammoniacal nitrogen have to be at least 30% or is there a range like 30 +/- a certain amount?
In terms of the percentage of ammoniacal N in the nutes, I would guess that the less there is the longer it would take. In the meantime the plant isn't getting the nutes it needs from the substrate. Also, a higher percentage of nitrate N is better for the plants, as MrSauga posted here:
The nitrogen should be mainly in the nitrate form as it provides more compact and controlled growth. More extensive leaf and stem growth occurs with ammoniacal and urea nitrogen. In general, to avoid excessive stretching and oversized leaves, more than 60 percent of the nitrogen provided to plants should be in the nitrate form. Ideally 70 to 80 percent as this will provide a moderate growth response and avoid overly large cannabis plants.
If I had bought a 22lb bag of something that was 66% nitrate and 33% ammoniacal I would probably use that rather than MC as my normal base, but I've got sunk costs to deal with. :)

So the pH of your soil is lower than you thought after calibration correct? Is the 5.7-5.9 within the range you were looking for?
Yes, the pH was a lot lower after calibration, and the corrected pH was right in the range I was looking for. ProMix HP is set at the factory with a pH of 5.5-5.8 after two waterings, and I was told that anything above 6.2 would be considered high enough to need rectifying.

I would guess that the original 7.4 reading I got two weeks ago was off to the high side, but either way it needed addressing, which I did!

Wow, it feels like just the other day they were sprouts. They look beautiful. I'm sorry I missed their training. Good luck with collecting that pollen and treating for pm, Shed.

I wanted to leave this here so we can all know where the Tin Can Kush (Golden Goat x Tahoe OG Kush) seeds came from.
The seeds I have are Golden Goat x Tahoe OG But I was correct on where I got them. They came from Colorado. Res1 used to host a forum called “The Dank Den” it was a great place. When I started growing he helped me out a lot.
I got these from Grandpa Tokin and it seems he got them from someone named Res1 in CO. So they very well might have been feminized seeds (since I got three females!).

And from the research on the parents, it looks like it should go 10-11 weeks, so I'm a little more than halfway there on that one.

Wow, it feels like just the other day they were sprouts. They look beautiful. I'm sorry I missed their training. Good luck with collecting that pollen and treating for pm, Shed.
Thanks Carmen! Not much training on these other than topping and keeping the upper nodes flat while the lowers catch up...pretty much standard for me these days. And I hope I end up with at least a little pollen in addition to whatever seeds I get from that plant. I'd like to have a huge stash of Candida seeds to be able to get to folks in need.
Absolutely beautiful, that Red Dragon pic especially is stunning!
Thanks Rexer! I'm really happy that the purpling is just beautiful and not some sort of deficiency in the making, like I thought it was when it started. :thumb:

Tuesday update will be all plant pics, no meters or scales!
FTFY!

Red Dragon's a real looker- and the TCK is a close second!
Beautiful leaf coloring on the RD -reminds me of the SSH a few months back...

Here is the Red Dragon:
Beautiful buds on that RD :thumb: My son's RD has not started flowering yet. I sure hope his looks like that.
And the Tin Can Kush:
I really like the bud structure of that plant. Those tops - and there are quite the many - are all shaping up nicely. :welldone:
Neither of them show any signs of seeds even though I shook the STS one over them almost daily back when they had pistils.
So the seeds that you did get, came from the STS plant that self seeded... did I understand that correctly?

If I had bought a 22lb bag of something that was 66% nitrate and 33% ammoniacal I would probably use that rather than MC as my normal base, but I've got sunk costs to deal with. :)
Deal away. I think you know how to correct things now so it shouldn't matter what you use. Just means more thinking in the long run, and using that stupid pH pen.

The RD floppiness. Is that from heavy buds? I ask because it's something I'm trying to understand. Regardless of what is in the mix, heavy buds will flop a plant pretty quick.

LOL! I'll use the bypass lane for the scales from now on. :cheesygrinsmiley:
Red Dragon's a real looker- and the TCK is a close second!
Beautiful leaf coloring on the RD -reminds me of the SSH a few months back...
Thanks Carcass, but this plant is nowhere near as gorgeous as your runaway POTM winner. :adore:
Looking good shed. Weather is looking nice your way too. And that July weekend worked out nicely. Bring on the heat.
Thank you Reave! The older I get, the less I like the heat. :rolleyes: Where I live I'm really only good in the shade.
Beautiful buds on that RD My son's RD has started flowering yet. I sure hope his looks like that.
I hope so! I'm looking forward to pics of that plant come August... :nomo:
I really like the bud structure of that plant. Those tops - and there are quite the many - are all shaping up nicely.
Thanks BL, and with another 35 days left (or more as we outsiders wait for more amber) I'm hoping it has a lot of bulking to do!
So the seeds that you did get, came from the STS plant that self seeded... did I understand that correctly?
Indeed. Though I never saw any pollen anywhere, there must have been enough to pollinate some of the nearby pistils.
Deal away. I think you know how to correct things now so it shouldn't matter what you use. Just means more thinking in the long run, and using that stupid pH pen.
If I can get soil to work as a medium, maybe the pH drift won't be as much of a problem as it was with the old ProMix HP. But if I can't get soil to work (I have given myself a year-end deadline), then I'll be back to peat-based.
The RD floppiness. Is that from heavy buds? I ask because it's something I'm trying to understand. Regardless of what is in the mix, heavy buds will flop a plant pretty quick.
I'll try to gauge the end-weight of the branches on both tonight and see. I get the feeling it just had a wider structure generally, which puts more weight over nothing. It started flopping pretty early on.

which puts more weight over nothing. It started flopping pretty early on.
You can't imagine how hard it was not to make a joke about this! :Rasta:

Back
Top Bottom