InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Highya ITS,

Love the Red Dragon. Very nice looking with all the bronze color. Love the TCK more! BL mentioned the bud structure, and that's the thing I liked also!! Beautiful plant! Nice training job.
What's up with the pollenless pods?!? Must have to jump through hoops to get seeds from them! Always something, lol.

so I need to get it while I can.
Janis had a song like that!! She wasn't talking about pollen. Happy Smokin'

The RD floppiness. Is that from heavy buds? I ask because it's something I'm trying to understand. Regardless of what is in the mix, heavy buds will flop a plant pretty quick.
I'll try to gauge the end-weight of the branches on both tonight and see. I get the feeling it just had a wider structure generally, which puts more weight over nothing. It started flopping pretty early on.
I tried to get an idea whether the RD branch ends were carrying more weight than the TCK, but I couldn't really tell. I did get pics of their undercarriages this morning if that will help you at all:

Red Dragon:

Tin Can Kush:

I think they're both 7½ nodes, but you can see how the RD is spread much wider even from the lowest node. It's also always been a much shorter plant than the TCK, and the spread may have something to do with that.

You can't imagine how hard it was not to make a joke about this!
I do appreciate your restraint. :)
I see at least 4 seed pods on just that one bud top. TCK has some fat looking colas. Well done Shed!
Thanks HH! Four is a very good place to start. And no seed guessing games...yet. ;)
Love the Red Dragon. Very nice looking with all the bronze color. Love the TCK more! BL mentioned the bud structure, and that's the thing I liked also!! Beautiful plant! Nice training job.
I'm thinking the TCK is going to be a much bigger harvest than the RD from looking at the stacking on that one.
What's up with the pollenless pods?!? Must have to jump through hoops to get seeds from them! Always something,
Well there must have been some pollen in them if I've got adjoining seeds! Maybe the RH is too high in the tent for the pollen to break free and fall, but it will work on the pistils right next to it?
Janis had a song like that!! She wasn't talking about pollen
If cannabis was legal back then, she might have been. Of course, Southern Comfort already comes bottled. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Mini Thursday update (not to be confused with a mini-Thursday update, since all Thursdays are the same size where I live)!

Just a pic of the Summer/Fall three this morning, day 80 :eek: :

Compared to 10 days ago:

Not much difference.

I'm about ready to dump the CB and JH and start with new seeds of those. I have to keep the Sour G since it's the last of my seeds and I need this one to flower for new seeds, otherwise I would probably toss it too! Day 80...sheesh!

I sprayed the Candida STS with the citric acid spray to kill the PM, so I guess that's it for the pollen attempt. This weekend I'll go through the pods I took off and see if I have any actual pollen in the box, and if I get any I'll probably cut it with some desiccated flour (to make it go further) and rice before storing it in the fridge.

I also sprayed the TCK and RD this morning for PM and watered a few of the clones that were drying out. The clones get 4.5g/gal of MC because I always have some around for the Candidas.

That's it. :ciao:

Mini Thursday update (not to be confused with a mini-Thursday update, since all Thursdays are the same size where I live)!

Compared to 10 days ago:

Not much difference.

I'm about ready to dump the CB and JH and start with new seeds of those. I have to keep the Sour G since it's the last of my seeds and I need this one to flower for new seeds, otherwise I would probably toss it too! Day 80...sheesh!

I sprayed the Candida STS with the citric acid spray to kill the PM, so I guess that's it for the pollen attempt. This weekend I'll go through the pods I took off and see if I have any actual pollen in the box, and if I get any I'll probably cut it with some desiccated flour (to make it go further) and rice before storing it in the fridge.

I also sprayed the TCK and RD this morning for PM and watered a few of the clones that were drying out. The clones get 4.5g/gal of MC because I always have some around for the Candidas.

That's it. :ciao:
Nice blacklighting. So artsy.

I tried to get an idea whether the RD branch ends were carrying more weight than the TCK, but I couldn't really tell. I did get pics of their undercarriages this morning if that will help you at all:
That's a great shot underneath, and I can see exactly what you mean. It helps in the sense that I know it wasn't from a lack of Si. Most articles state that it strengthens cell walls, yet randomly some of my plants will flop. Usually related to heavy buds, and I don't mean that in an ego way, so I'm just observing different grows that use the stuff.
Day 80...sheesh!
Day 82... sounds like a good number for a culling.
The whole thing is shot in my photography studio!
Beautiful. Looks just like your backyard. Impressive studio. You Californians are always cutting edge people.

That's a great shot underneath, and I can see exactly what you mean. It helps in the sense that I know it wasn't from a lack of Si. Most articles state that it strengthens cell walls, yet randomly some of my plants will flop. Usually related to heavy buds, and I don't mean that in an ego way, so I'm just observing different grows that use the stuff.
Oh good, glad it was helpful!
Day 82... sounds like a good number for a culling.
...and it sounds like a Saturday! :high-five:
Beautiful. Looks just like your backyard. Impressive studio. You Californians are always cutting edge people.
:cool:

I think you’re right about culling the CB & JH. They should be a lot bigger after 80 days. I guess those 2 just didn’t have the right genetics. Time to cut your losses and move on. On the bright side, you’ve already got soil mixed up for their replacements.

Compared to 10 days ago:
Not much difference.
Wow, that's a head-scratcher. :hmmmm:
:(

Friday update, quotes below!

Let's start with some pics of new pistils sprouting on the Tin Can Kush (day 147, flip day 46):

And just few new ones on the Red Dragon (same age but with a shorter flowering time):

Why the new pistil growth? Well some folks might say "it's the increase in nutes," or "see what happens when you spray with citric acid?," or "it's because the pH of the medium has been corrected." Or maybe "it's the plant's natural response to powdery mildew." :laugh:

Truth is I have no idea and I won't claim to. Might be completely coincidental and just the way this specific plant grows (not all of this variety even). Remember that correlation does not imply causality. :)

Here are two of the Sour G cuttings this morning:

And I spy a root, not much bigger than @ProfessorFlora's ;) :

Last for the day, per a discussion we were having on grinders over in Boo's thread, here is where we store most of our ground weed, in pill-bottle-sized containers:

As I mentioned there, the grinders are only used for grinding and not storing weed. Ground weed is put in the labeled container and the grinder gets put away empty after it's used. I use the 4" Kozo and my wife prefers the smaller 3" Kingtop (both pictured here). I like the large gaps between the grinding pegs (seen here) so that I don't have to break the buds up so small. And I grind a lot of weed!

Hope the week went well and the weekend is looking :cool:!

Quotes:
I think you’re right about culling the CB & JH. They should be a lot bigger after 80 days. I guess those 2 just didn’t have the right genetics. Time to cut your losses and move on. On the bright side, you’ve already got soil mixed up for their replacements.
After looking at them last night I may keep the CB and just dump the really stalled JH. I don't think it's the genetics since WSE has been really spot-on with their seeds across this entire website.
Will you have your official opinion why they didn't thrive for us? My heart's out for you, the effort you put into those two, yikes!
Thank you Otter! My official opinion (such as it is) is if I had planted these in ProMix HP they'd be huge and ready to flip as soon as there was room in the shed. It's my missteps with the soil that set these on a poor path for sure. And it's really a shame I missed the height of the summer sun with this grow...my peak production time too.

I'll start a new Jack Herer in a 75/25 mix of my soil/perlite and feed it my new nute mix and see how long it takes to outpace the Sour G and Chiquita Banana...fingers crossed!
Wow, that's a head-scratcher.
I think that once I screwed up with the 50/50 mix and the roots never took hold, there was no real recovery possible. And now that I put it like that, I may actually cull both the CB and JH and start over.

I'm decisive that way. :laugh:

Also, for what it's worth, @Virgin Ground thinks the soil I'm using might be the problem rather than how much perlite I've added. :hmmmm:

Also, for what it's worth, @Virgin Ground thinks the soil I'm using might be the problem rather than how much perlite I've added. :hmmmm:
My thoughts behind it were that the soil had mediocre reviews( if I was looking at the correct one) but I also mentioned that the perlite has a pH of around 7. Was wondering if that impacted your grow?
It reminded me of what happened on my first Gorilla Zkittlez grow. My soil pH tanked and the plants wouldn't dry out because they weren't drinking at all. I had to make speed holes to dry the soil out faster. I also used lime in the remaining plants and they finished very well.

I was ultra medicated when we spoke so I may have not been as clear as I'm attempting to be now.

I'm only half-baked. ;)

My thoughts behind it were that the soil had mediocre reviews( if I was looking at the correct one) but I also mentioned that the perlite has a pH of around 7. Was wondering if that impacted your grow?
It's got pretty good reviews on Home Depot's website, but I'm not wedded to it. I'm sure I can find some FFOF/HF around, since it's tried and true.

Regarding perlite and pH:
"Perlite has no nutrients, and with a pH of 7 to 7.5 (neutral) it does not contribute to the substrate pH."
Source
My soil pH tanked and the plants wouldn't dry out because they weren't drinking at all. I had to make speed holes to dry the soil out faster. I also used lime in the remaining plants and they finished very well.
SpeedHoles®

I haven't tested the pH out of the bag...there's something to do this weekend! On the plus side, the Sour G seems to be drying out at a reasonable rate.
I was ultra medicated when we spoke so I may have not been as clear as I'm attempting to be now.
You seem equally as clear, just more verbose now. :thanks:
I'm only half-baked.
I'm sure you can do something about that!

Love all the frosty pics Shed! They are some real lookers. :Rasta:

I don't like all this talk of culling plants.

Imagine, if you can, that you were an innocent weed seed that got germinated but had a rough start as a plant. But you try your best and you're still alive and doing your best to please your owner. But your owner is cold-heartedly success-driven and runs out of patience. Despite your best efforts, the owner decides you're a worthless piece of crap and rips you out of your home.

How would that make you feel?

Back
Top Bottom