InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

There may be tiny pockets of air in them like perlite, but either way I can't figure out why it takes more volume to get the same weight now. Like I said...unless my scale is off. Stay tuned!

I feel its because when you ground up everything the weight was more evenly distributed. Each rock of calcium was a different size, so when you weighted it you had a half gram or more of pure calcium. The downside would be running out of calcium balls before you get to the end of your stinky stuff.

The Candidas are beasts :thumb: they will be so fun to see flower

You just had to go grind your balls eh? Lol
I thought that's what you were supposed to do if you didn't want any more children! :oops:
I feel its because when you ground up everything the weight was more evenly distributed. Each rock of calcium was a different size, so when you weighted it you had a half gram or more of pure calcium. The downside would be running out of calcium balls before you get to the end of your stinky stuff.

The Candidas are beasts :thumb: they will be so fun to see flower
The weight is definitely more evenly distributed (as is the calcium), which was my goal, but I'm still not sure why the volume needed to get to 4 grams is higher though. Before we go any further down this rabbit hole I'm going to put new batteries in my damn scale!

I'm trying to keep those Candidas down...it's obviously not working :).

That air you speak of in the balls have the same pressure as outside the balls and wont affect the weigh. The chemistry scale we have at the laboratory weighs 0,1mg and even that wont weigh that air. It needs to be pressurized pretty much to start weighing more than atmospheric air.

I would bet you have an ordinary kitchen scale with 1g resolution, so it's margin of fault is +-1g that is what makes it weigh different.

My attempt at an explanation.

Say you had a 1lb block of cheese. It's very dense. Shred your block of cheese. It now is fluffier and takes up more volume for the same weight. It's more airy. This is precisely why good bakers weigh their flour rather than use a measuring cup. A cup of flour can weight significantly different amounts depending on how much the flour is packed into the measuring cup.

That air you speak of in the balls have the same pressure as outside the balls and wont affect the weigh.
I've heard Tom Brady say that before too...

:rofl:

My attempt at an explanation.

Say you had a 1lb block of cheese. It's very dense. Shred your block of cheese. It now is fluffier and takes up more volume for the same weight. It's more airy. This is precisely why good bakers weigh their flour rather than use a measuring cup. A cup of flour can weight significantly different amounts depending on how much the flour is packed into the measuring cup.

You are totally correct in this but that's the more flour that makes that extra weight not the air trapped inside...

What weighs more: 1 Tone of cotton or 1 Tone of lead? ;)

You are totally correct in this but that's the more flour that makes that extra weight not the air trapped inside...

What weighs more: 1 Tone of cotton or 1 Tone of lead? ;)

Obviously weight is weight, does not matter the substance. And yes there can be different amounts of flour in a cup depending on the density on how much its packed. We are weighing the flour and not the air. And thats really where the original question comes in. It's comparing weight vs volume, not weight vs weight. What takes up more volume, a ton of cotton or a ton of lead? The lead is more dense than the fluffy cotton, so the cotton takes up more space. And further, a ton of compressed baled cotton takes up less room than a ton left in it's natural fluffy state.

Obviously weight is weight, does not matter the substance. And yes there can be different amounts of flour in a cup depending on the density on how much its packed. We are weighing the flour and not the air. And thats really where the original question comes in. It's comparing weight vs volume, not weight vs weight. What takes up more volume, a ton of cotton or a ton of lead? The lead is more dense than the fluffy cotton, so the cotton takes up more space. And further, a ton of compressed baled cotton takes up less room than a ton left in it's natural fluffy state.

Yeah but to say that uncompressed air in pellets make it weigh more is not true.

See I'm still using my 21+ pound bag of the original MC and I have no balls :oops:. One thing I did when my MC big bag arrived was to divvy it up into smaller portions ( enough to fit in 2 jelly jars) and vacuum sealed them. When I finish using the nutes in the two jars I cut open another of the bags and refill the small mason jars. It's kept the stuff "powdery" as opposed to it clumping up like the sample did. I'm still miffed at MC for selling me that 21+ pound bag 8 days before releasing their new and improved MC 2 version. It would have been nice to ask if I wanted to wait a week and get the new stuff as opposed to dumping the old stuff on me. But in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal. The stuff works just fine for me.

Welcome PrairieDog! You've come to the right place. The Journal of the highly respected Member of the Year on the 420 Magazine site. If you have a question about pretty much anything you can get 8-13 different answers to help solve your problem. But seriously, as this is not my journal you feel free to ask any and all questions you may have. Everyone here is very helpful.

Power's back on! Sorry Derby, you were a bit too late :(.
It's kept the stuff "powdery" as opposed to it clumping up like the sample did.
When they changed the formula they changed the consistency of the contents. The white balls are not clumps but individual balls of calcium or something.
And I was just worried about your wife's hot tub! ;)
Thanks BL! We're under the 60a limit still so all is good. I appreciate your concern though, and well-remembered :).
Hello... New guy here signing up to what appears to be the most active thread on this forum. I Hope to learn something from all of the experienced members in here, and join in on the conversations and find some other journals to follow that I can learn from. I don’t have much exp, but my ears are open to learning from the pros!
PD
Hi Prairie Dog! Welcome to my grow journal and :welcome: to the 420magazine website. As beez0404 and Derby mentioned, feel free to ask any questions here or anywhere else you find information that might be helpful for your grow. Do you have a grow or are you starting one soon? You should put up a grow journal, and when you do, drop a link here so folks can follow along. Here are the instructions on starting one:
:Namaste:

Update in a minute...

Back
Top Bottom