InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Rises during proofing. You want to do the window pane method to see if you've kneaded enough.
Are you doing a single or double proof?
4-24 hours to raise. Longer times for stronger flavor. 75-80° proofing temp.
Single proof so I can bake it tonight but 4 hours of folding every 30 minutes. I'm hoping for 4-6 hours to proof unless it's not raised enough by then...then in the fridge overnight and bake tomorrow night.
Not sure. I think smooth bowls allow the dough to raise without getting caught in the micro- crevices of the cast iron. His is a new piece so I'm thinking it has a slightly rougher finish than my 20+ yr old stuff. He could certainly try it.
I think there is also a cold proofing method for sourdough......
I'll be proofing in bowls with tea towels and flour. I haven't invested in benettons yet.
Nice!! Almost slipped that one by me. I can sea you don't miss an opportunity for a chuckle :)
Good luck with the bread Betty!
Typo..corrected. No whey I meant to do that
:)

dynamo is correct! I'm trying my first attempt at home made sourdough bread, but I am sure it will not look or taste even remotely like his, seen here!

I'll post some pics of the process when it's done.

It's pre-seasoned, for her pleasure! And mine I guess :). It's 5.5qt and damn heavy, which is why we don't have any cast iron in the house. My wife won't use it, so it will be dedicated to bread making, assuming this time isn't an abject dream-killing demotivating failure! We'll see...
I'm in! Before I started growing I wanted to learn about making good breads like the one you're about to. I think I have 3 books on the subject. I haven't dove into at all. Have fun!

Single proof so I can bake it tonight but 4 hours of folding every 30 minutes. I'm hoping for 4-6 hours to proof unless it's not raised enough by then...then in the fridge overnight and bake tomorrow night.

I'll be proofing in bowls with tea towels and flour. I haven't invested in benettons yet.

Typo..corrected. No whey I meant to do that :).
And how much bud did you add?
Lol...
:)

My wife won't use it, so it will be dedicated to bread making, assuming this time isn't an abject dream-killing demotivating failure! We'll see...

Cobbler. Just sayin.

I'm in! Before I started growing I wanted to learn about making good breads like the one you're about to. I think I have 3 books on the subject. I haven't dove into at all. Have fun!
Thanks otter! You dove in enough to buy books :). I've been reading a recipe and watching YouTube videos...très moderne!
And how much bud did you add? Lol...
No bud in this recipe! No oil either ;).
Cobbler. Just sayin.
Blacksmith more likely.

I used to bake bagels in high school and college. I think we proofed them outta the fridge for an hour or so. Interesting fact bagels are boiled before they are baked and that's what gives them the tougher skin. Eienstiens is a sham cause it's just circle shaped bread! You'll get it man, just like anything you gotta stick with it. Cooking is just science right?

Well since I'm using the turn and fold method every 30 minutes, I can tell you that after doing it 8 times over 4 hours it still tears. I think I'm going to knead instead. I'd rather do 10 minutes of kneading than 4 hours of getting up every thirty minutes.
I would just knead. King Arthur flour has some good tips for classic sourdough.

I bought 10 of these 1/2 gallon dark uv 99% protected Ball Jars for my curing.

Will the 62% humidity packs of 60 grams be enough for each jar? I haven't used them before?
I use the small 8 gram packets (62%). I put one into the quart jars, and I put 3 into the 1/2 gallon jars. Seems to work just right for me.

I think it's passed his nap time.
Well past!
I would just knead. King Arthur flour has some good tips for classic sourdough.
15 minutes of kneading and it still doesn't retain any shape. It spreads out like a pancake.

20200126_173526.jpg
I think I'm going to call it a nightmare.

Back in the bowl it goes. Probably into the fridge too. It's obviously not getting baked tonight (yes I said baked).

I use the small 8 gram packets (62%). I put one into the quart jars, and I put 3 into the 1/2 gallon jars. Seems to work just right for me.
Cool, thanks...

Blacksmith more likely.

Cherry blacksmith? Peach blacksmith?

I'm not so sure on that one. :rofl:

Damn. Now I wanna break out my dutch and make cobbler. :(

Well past!

15 minutes of kneading and it still doesn't retain any shape. It spreads out like a pancake.

20200126_173526.jpg
I think I'm going to call it a nightmare.

Back in the bowl it goes. Probably into the fridge too. It's obviously not getting baked tonight (yes I said baked).
Could be acidity levels effecting your gluten.
Did you use a stiff starter?
Are you using soft water by chance?

Back
Top Bottom