InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Sorted out the pollen today, so I'll have that post in a minute. In the meantime...

I thought we talked about this!?!?
There can never be enough talk about this!
Looks cold in Cali with all that frost on the plants. Things are looking good with the TCK and RD! I hope you're having a great weekend.
Thanks MrS! Same to you. :)
:oops: Thank you for spotting that BL. I've been a bit off my game this week with very little sleep and some personal stuff going on in my head.
I figured Shed is such a busy guy that it was nothing to get excited about, I admire his memory, intelligence and social skills:adore:but thanks for noticing Beez:ciao:
Sorry dynamo, and thank you for your understanding. I was going on 3 hours sleep yesterday after a migraine on Thursday evening. :(

Feeling better today though!
I have been here for over a year and Never seen you have so much trouble getting the plants to grow and grow into some of the prettiest buds i have seen !! Yank them i would !! In growing this stuff time is a factor to included . Just my 20 cents !
Thanks sb! I haven't culled anything yet, and I'm going back and forth on the Chiquita Banana. The Jack Herer is definitely heading for the salve bin.

Hot and muggy Saturday update, the one with the pollen!

I grabbed the box of pollen sacs that I've been keeping on the heat mat, along with a sieve and a shiny magazine page:

Open the box and see all the people!

I dumped out the sacs into the sieve over the magazine, and then I went back to the box and took a razor blade to the parchment paper:

Not a bad start! I plucked out the plant bits and left the pollen for later.

The sieve let through way too much plant material, so I grabbed an 80 mesh screen from my pottery platform and dumped the contents in there:

I went back and forth over it with the rubber bowl scraper over the magazine and then dumped that on the parchment, now removed from the box:

Here is the total amount of pollen (and obviously plant material that got pushed through the screen):

I jammed a small funnel into the collection tube and taped the whole thing to the corner of the box for stability:

After dumping and tapping and using a smal piece of curled up paper to push down what was stuck to the funnel, this is what I ended up with:

I put some flour and white rice in the oven at 200ºF to dry it out, and when I took it out I immediately put it in sealed ziplocs to cool without reabsorbing the moisture from the air.

When that was cool I added rice and flour to the container and shook it up (rice to keep it dry and flour to make it go further since a little goes a long way). Then I set some aside for Chris as a thank you for sending me the STS fixings and the instructions, along with the hand-holding along the way:

I'll probably be flowering a Candida this fall, so I'll use this to pollinate a branch and see if it works! Thanks for all of your help and suggestions along the way (soon to be repeated (in some form) with the Sour G and a Tin Can Kush clone).

Oh, and also did some delarfing on the TCK:

#nolarf

Enjoy the rest of the weekend! :ciao:

Cool idea Shed. I just composted a male with a bunch of those pods. Maybe shoulda saved 'em like you did. Wasn't a strain I was too keen on, but maybe the practice would have been worth it.

Do you think a salt shaker would be a good way to deploy it if you wanted to do a larger plant, or do you think the holes would be too big. You seemed to say even the screen let too much plant material through.

Great work shed. It will be interesting to see how viable that pollen is when you get a chance to use it. If it’s at all viable, you’ve got yourself a goldmine right there in that vial.

That's cheating, but whatever.
Define "cheating"!
do you think the holes would be too big.
Yup! Most folks pollinate their plants with a paintbrush dipped in the pollen, so a salt shaker would be overkill. You would also go through your pollen stash way too quickly.
Great work shed. It will be interesting to see how viable that pollen is when you get a chance to use it. If it’s at all viable, you’ve got yourself a goldmine right there in that vial.
Thanks Chef, and :thanks: for your invaluable help with this process. :adore:

I could put a tiny bit of pollen on a few pistils of the TCK since it just threw some new ones. Do you recommend using a salt shaker? :cheesygrinsmiley:

If you wanna dip a brush into the pollen and dust a few white pistils you’ll definitely know in the next 25-30 days whether the pollen is viable or not.. those seeds wouldn’t be ready by the time the plants coming down though so it would be a waste in that regard.

It’s just like calyx development - more light means more mature seeds so tend to the mom as if she were a sensi plant for best results.

If you wanna dip a brush into the pollen and dust a few white pistils you’ll definitely know in the next 25-30 days whether the pollen is viable or not.. those seeds wouldn’t be ready by the time the plants coming down though so it would be a waste in that regard.
Thanks Chef! I'll do that tomorrow morning when I can put it in the shade and spray down the rest of the plant before I pollinate one flower. And I'm not concerned about the resulting seeds, so no worries there.
It’s just like calyx development - more light means more mature seeds so tend to the mom as if she were a sensi plant for best results.
Damn, then have I messed up? The plant has been living under 6000 lux this whole time!

Damn, then have I messed up? The plant has been living under 6000 lux this whole time!
You’ll still have mature seeds but not as many as if you were growing her under full light. That’s something I’ve learned recently doing pollen runs in a closet with a crappy panel vs the 4x4 with a Mars hydro ts3000. More light means more energy produced which means more seeds, just like sensi flowers.

So here’s a fun photo I want to share with you, but also it’s a proof of a concept you and I have discussed.

remember when we talked about cutting off the treatment the very moment you’ve got a positive ID on some pollen sacs? Well I did just that with the auto, look how strongly the reverse worked out. The branch looks like it’s on an actual male. The pollen sacs were never hindered by the excessive application of a detrimental solution. Thusly, they’ve grown extremely vigorously.

remember when we talked about cutting off the treatment the very moment you’ve got a positive ID on some pollen sacs?
I did that! I thought you also said something about less light during the pollen-making process, so I dropped the lux. And since the pollen-making process seemed to be ongoing forever, I never upped it.

I can spray it down to inactivate any possible pollen and put it outside with the others now. I hope another 5 weeks at 120,000 lux will make up for the early loss!

Back
Top Bottom