Another of the crosses looked to be starting to flower this morning, but it wasn't clear enough to say for certain. I should be able to say for certain this evening, and if so I'll post a pic of it. This one is one of the Bruce Banner crosses. I think I'll pull out the loupe and try to get some closeups.
Doug's Varin is looking happy, and I've raised the light a couple of cm now that she's grown a little taller. After a bit of a clusterf#@k of a beginning this is settling down into a much calmer grow, lol. I'm sure I'll manage to screw something up sooner or later though.
Doug's Varin 15 Dec 2021.jpg

Doug's Varin 15 Dec 2021 1.jpg

Hope everyone's having a good morning.

And as promised, here are some pics through the loupe of the two that look like they're flowering.
First, the Hindu Kush x
Doug's Varin 15 Dec 2021 HK flowering.jpg

A little blurry, but also nothing definitive when I looked. There also looks like there's a male flower forming on the first node down.
Now the Bruce Banner x
Doug's Varin 15 Dec 2021 BB flowering.jpg

Again, nothing definitive. Haven't found anything on the lower nodes either.
These two, and one of the other BBx plants have all put on a sudden increase in height of a couple of cm.
The other two, one HKx, one BBx, are still on the shorter side. We'll see what happens. I've made sure the Doug's Varin and the two shorter plants are nearest the centre of the light's footprint.
One other thing I've noticed, which has now happened with 8 out of 11 plants I have grown in this tent, under this light is there seem to be a high number of strange numbers of leaflets on young plants. Jumping from single leaflets on a node to 5 or 6, jumping from 3 leaflets to 7. That sort of thing. If you're interested, I'll document that with pics of each individual plant, as there are at least 3 in this grow with unusual numbers, including the Doug's Varin herself.
Doug's Varin 15 Dec 2021 Family Portrait.jpg

Doug's Varin 15 Dec 2021 Family Portrait 1.jpg

Crazy weather. It's 14C outside right now!
In December!
Means the tent is at 28C. It's going back down around freezing tomorrow, so it shouldn't be a problem for long.
Getting close to transplant now. I have the 1 gallon fabric pot standing by.
Doug's Varin 16 Dec 2021.jpg

Doug's Varin 16 Dec 2021 1.jpg

Sadly my suspicions have been confirmed. Balls have been found.
First on the HKx
Doug's Varin 16 Dec 2021 HK Balls.jpg

And then on the BBx
Doug's Varin 16 Dec 2021 BB Balls.jpg

Happily, the others are doing just fine (mostly).
Doug's Varin 16 Dec 2021 Family Portrait.jpg

Ignore the mopy girl in the corner. She had just been watered when I took that, and hadn't had time to absorb any of it. If she's still like that later I'll start finding out why.
Doug's Varin 16 Dec 2021 Family Portrait 1.jpg

So, only Mopy has shown any sign of stretching yet, but she also has no sign of balls, or the usual meristem signs, so I am hopeful. That leaves us with the Doug's Varin, one HKx, and two BBx including Mopy. A much better number both for my tent, and for the dark area which was starting to get a little crowded.

I don't want to post these.
If you look at the post from yesterday morning you'll see that the soil looks dry. What you can't tell is just how dry.
I saw it and thought "I should water her", and then it slipped my mind.
I understand why she wilted. I just don't understand how the leaves turned dry and crispy in that short a time, or how they're up again now that she's been watered. Seriously, between yesterday evening's pics to this morning, she went from what you see above to this.
Doug's Varin 17 Dec 2021.jpg

Doug's Varin 17 Dec 2021 1.jpg

She's still alive. I'll get her through this.
Guess I was tempting fate when I said I'd manage to fuck this up.

Sadly my suspicions have been confirmed. Balls have been found.
First on the HKx

And then on the BBx

What kind of seeds did you plant? Regular, not feminized? And, if regular, did you buy regular because you wanted boys, too or because they're less expensive?

Happily, the others are doing just fine (mostly).

Ignore the mopy girl in the corner. She had just been watered when I took that, and hadn't had time to absorb any of it. If she's still like that later I'll start finding out why.

So, only Mopy has shown any sign of stretching yet, but she also has no sign of balls, or the usual meristem signs, so I am hopeful. That leaves us with the Doug's Varin, one HKx, and two BBx including Mopy. A much better number both for my tent, and for the dark area which was starting to get a little crowded.

I don't want to post these.

I understand that feeling. I hate posting pics of my girls when they're not looking their best.

If you look at the post from yesterday morning you'll see that the soil looks dry. What you can't tell is just how dry.
I saw it and thought "I should water her", and then it slipped my mind.
I understand why she wilted. I just don't understand how the leaves turned dry and crispy in that short a time, or how they're up again now that she's been watered. Seriously, between yesterday evening's pics to this morning, she went from what you see above to this.

She's still alive. I'll get her through this.
Guess I was tempting fate when I said I'd manage to fuck this up.

I don't know why she's so dry and crispy today but I would wait at least another day before panicking since you just watered her. She needs time to absorb it. Are you feeding them any nutes yet?

What kind of seeds did you plant? Regular, not feminized? And, if regular, did you buy regular because you wanted boys, too or because they're less expensive?

I understand that feeling. I hate posting pics of my girls when they're not looking their best.

I don't know why she's so dry and crispy today but I would wait at least another day before panicking since you just watered her. She needs time to absorb it. Are you feeding them any nutes yet?
Sorry if I came off as pessimistic there. I'm sure she'll recover, I'm just pissed off at myself for getting lazy and overconfident.
When I posted about the male plants, I was kinda joking around. I'm not upset about finding the balls, I actually expected at least two of them to be male. The HKx seeds came from a friend's plant, and we knew they weren't from a hermie because he tested a few and got both males and females. One popped up in his garden as a volunteer and turned out to be female. We figure a med or rec grower in the neighbourhood had a male in their outdoor grow and didn't give a rat's ass if it pollinated the entire neighbourhood. It probably wasn't hemp as the weed from the volunteer was surprisingly good, just had fairly unremarkable terps.
The BBx seeds were from my summer grow. Newbie neighbour was on his first grow and let a male go during early flower. He caught the first one, but I guess he got lazy. I wondered if it was a male or a stress hermie, now I know.

The Doug's Varin is from feminized seed. Her upper leaves, and the tiny branches from the first two nodes are fine, it's just the two lower true leaves that are crispy. They were lying down on the soil when I moved the remaining crosses to the dark area, and that's when I watered her. I was pretty surprised to see the crispy leaves standing up again when I took the pics. This is an amazingly hardy plant.
I'm feeding her 2g per gallon of MC, but when I saw the damage I diluted it down to 1/2 dose and raised the light 5cm, and thoroughly saturated the soil. I want to be as gentle as possible for a bit until I know exactly how much damage was done. Any crispy leaves will be removed tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for your concern, but I'm pretty sure she'll be okay.

PS: Please listen to the video, it should lighten your day. It had me in tears laughing.

Looks like you have a male plant in there to me. It sure is showing up early, but I am betting it's a boy.

I am more concerned about those damage leaves. It looks like photon damage to me... too much focused light too close. These plants don't need a lot of light yet.
Two males actually. They're on 11/13 from seed as I don't really have space for them all. I want to have as much space as possible for the Doug's Varin in flower.
The light has been at the same distance from the canopy of the DV for two weeks. I just got a little slipshod keeping up with my watering. I won't be making that mistake again. The upper leaves are actually fine, it's just the lower leaves that are messed up. Thanks for checking in though.

So, I haven't clipped the crispy leaves yet. I will do so tomorrow when I transplant her. I will be keeping her feeding light as she looks excessively dark outside the tent. But she is working on recovery. The crispy leaves aren't blocking any light, so there shouldn't be a problem.
Mopy girl is, in fact, a girl. She has pistils, but they're hard to see. She is also refusing to perk up.
The other two crosses aren't showing yet. The HKx may have pistils, but it's really hard to be sure.
Doug's Varin 17 Dec 2021 Family Portrait.jpg

Doug's Varin 17 Dec 2021 Family Portrait 1.jpg

So, that's pretty much it for today. I'll cover those cups and relax. No more decisions about the plants tonight.
So, Bruce Banner, Blueberry, or Apple Fritter?
I'm thinking Apple Fritter.

Hmm. There's a little damage that wasn't immediately apparent showing up now, but all in all she could be a lot worse shape.
Up potting to 1g fabric this evening just before lights on.
Doug's Varin 18 Dec 2021.jpg
Doug's Varin 18 Dec 2021 1.jpg

Not sure what it is, but something about these pics make me happy.
I just trimmed and up-potted DV. I also raised the light. Maybe a bit too much. We'll see if she starts to stretch a bit, maybe I'll drop it a cm or two.
Doug's Varin 18 Dec 2021 Family Portrait.jpg

Mopy is still working on her pistils, and the other two are just hanging out.
Doug's Varin 18 Dec 2021 Family Portrait 1.jpg

Now, I have to get back downstairs. I'm helping my sister make some infused coconut oil with her Blue Dream.
Hope everyone's having a good night.

Edit: Lol, scratch that, she doesn't need my help, just my Magic Butter machine.

What a morning.
The snow that fell yesterday during the day turned to slush that froze solid overnight, and cleaning it up this morning was not a fun way to start the day. I can already feel my back stiffening up.
Of course that had zero effect on DV, and the side branches from the first couple of nodes are now growing to replace the leaves she lost.
Doug's Varin 19 Dec 2021.jpg

Doug's Varin 19 Dec 2021 1.jpg

If they had more damage I would consider removing the 5 point leaves as well to get more light to the lower side branches, but they're better where they are right now since they're mostly green. Don't want to slow her down more than I already have.

Hey all, Mopy is hungry but refusing to drink, and the others are drinking and not hungry. I'm not really surprised that she's hungry, as she has a little spray of pistils at the top, but this does complicate feeding a bit. I'm switching to a strategy that someone mentioned in another thread (I think it was @StoneOtter ?) of mixing up a batch of full strength MC and diluting as needed for each individual plant. I'm hoping that'll help.
Doug's Varin 19 Dec 2021 Family Portrait.jpg

Doug's Varin 19 Dec 2021 Family Portrait 1.jpg

Other than that, nothing new to report in the evening update.
Questions, comments, rude remarks?

You're ugly.

How's that? :cool:

But you'll figure the plants out. We've got faith in you. If nothing else, take a bunch of cuts so you can dial it in in subsequent rounds.

Think it might be a root issue??
Could be. She is rootbound, or getting there. But I would usually expect to have to water her more. I won't be taking cuts of Mopy, she's in flower now under 11/13 from seed, so I won't have the opportunity.
I made a bad decision when i had the Doug's Varin seeds germinating, and the only reasons I'm growing them are a) I don't like just randomly killing plants, and b) I'd like to know if the seeds from my outdoor plants are worth spending time on. Get an idea of their terp profile and flowering time.
I'm not sure if I'll keep Mopy around, there's another little plant from those seeds in there, I'm just not sure if it's female yet. If it's a quick fix, I will keep her, but as she's already in flower any issue that takes a while to fix will make it impossible to tell anything about those seeds from her.

And hello :)

I’m glad to see your plants have bounced back. I’d be thinking maybe the the light was too strong too. Those leaves are still very new.

If you have room for one more I’d love to tag along :)

Back
Top Bottom