MotaFina - 15 Year Old White Widow x Skunk Seeds - Indoor Soil - HID

It seems too early.... I wonder if being pollinated causes the trichomes to mature early? Or could it be the long veg time? These plants were fully budded at two weeks into flower, so the whole grow from flip seems to have been early.

Causes of early ripening could be :
- More than 12 hours of darkness (like only 10-11 hours of light)
- High temperature
- Pollination

This bit comes from Speed Up Flowering Of Outdoor Marijuana Plants

Right when the female flowers have been pollinated, the plant will focus all its energy on seed production rather than growing new flowers. You will notice the pistils drying up and receding into the calyx, which is a sign that the ovary is turning into a seed. You will be harvesting the bud before the seed even gets a hard shell around it...

Day 114 - Day 51 of Flower:

I harvested the two remaining plants, OBS6 and OBS3. OBS3 was quite impressive. I'll have to try growing out some of her seeds. I'd love to see more of that phenotype.

P1100774.JPG

P1100772.JPG

Is it possible to get an ounce off one bud?

day 114 - day 51 of flower:

I harvested the two remaining plants, obs6 and obs3. Obs3 was quite impressive. I'll have to try growing out some of her seeds. I'd love to see more of that phenotype.

wow !

Day 114 - Day 51 of Flower:

I harvested the two remaining plants, OBS6 and OBS3. OBS3 was quite impressive. I'll have to try growing out some of her seeds. I'd love to see more of that phenotype.

P1100774.JPG

P1100772.JPG

Lets hope so anyway!

I weighed the trimmed up buds from one of the two largest colas. It was about 19 grams. Not too bad!

Total dry weight for the harvest is 375.4 grams (13.4 ounces). I expect I'll lose about 10% weight during curing, so I should end up with 12 oz.

Most of the buds are pretty airy. I might have harvested a little early due to the plants getting pollinated. But I don't think they would have filled in much more. They were already going amber....maybe 50% amber on the first one I harvested.

Congrats MF.

Glad to see that in the end, you get a quite satisfactory harvest, after going thru many difficulties and worries.

Thanks! And thanks again to you and Pennywise for all the help and reassurance! It's so nice to have this community here for us newbies.

Any plans on starting a new grow soon ?

Yeah, the next grow will start up this week. I took your advice and bought some seeds from Europe. I bought 3 strains - Master Kush, Bubblegum, and Damnesia - and they threw in a Sour Diesel seed and a Special Kush seed. That should see me through the next 3-4 grows.

I'm not planning to use Earth Juice this time. I've had a super soil mix composting for the past two months or so. If I need to supplement that at some point, I got a 'free' sample kit of Nectar of the Gods ferts from Oregon's Only. They sent me a whole box of their products for just the cost of shipping. I'll start up a new journal once I get the new grow going.

Thanks! And thanks again to you and Pennywise for all the help and reassurance! It's so nice to have this community here for us newbies.

Yeah, the next grow will start up this week. I took your advice and bought some seeds from Europe. I bought 3 strains - Master Kush, Bubblegum, and Damnesia - and they threw in a Sour Diesel seed and a Special Kush seed. That should see me through the next 3-4 grows.

I'm not planning to use Earth Juice this time. I've had a super soil mix composting for the past two months or so. If I need to supplement that at some point, I got a 'free' sample kit of Nectar of the Gods ferts from Oregon's Only. They sent me a whole box of their products for just the cost of shipping. I'll start up a new journal once I get the new grow going.

Cool seeds !

As I started with shrimp compost in my mix and was really happy with that, I'll do the same mix on my next grow (presumably starting early September). I started adding EJ Grow+Catalyst at week 3 and was happy with that too. So I'll use what's left of EJ grow+catalyst for next grow, but probably at week 4 or more (my pots will be bigger and contain more compost). But no EJ Bloom this time ! Every log I read... the same problems (early and extensive yellowing and dying of leaves) occurred and there is no real solution and people are freaking out. So I need to find some other (preferably organic) nutes for bloom. My favorite hydro shop had to order EJ nutes for me, because he said that less and less growers were interested in buying those, he didn't quite know why. I'm not surprised, If the majority of growers see their healthy plants turn yellow suddenly... I know it was a trauma to see my incredibly healthy plants look sick within a few days.

It'll be my pleasure to follow your thread again; You'll still be a few weeks in front of me ;-)

Here's my haul in the curing jars - picture taken during 'burping' this morning:

FirstHaul.JPG

It's getting close to two weeks of curing for OBS5. I think that one is close to being ready to sample. I don't have a humidity monitor for the jars, so I'm just guessing on the dryness level.

My new journal is started (link in my signature below) - hoping to have a smoother grow, using everything I've learned during this grow.

Here are the final pictures:

White Widow/Skunk mix:

WhiteWidowBud.jpg

Oregon Bagseed (OBS) 6:

OBS6Bud1.jpg

OBS 5:

OBS5Bud1.jpg

OBS 3:

OBS3Bud1.jpg

I'm getting close to closing out this journal. I'm going to call this grow a FAIL, for many reasons:

- I used unknown/untested strains where there was evidence of hemaphrodism
- Early hermaphroditic pollination led the plants to die prematurely
- Buds are predominantly light and airy, lightly seeded, not very aromatic, and are dominated by brown hairs rather than trichome-coated calyxes
- The patient these were grown for doesn't care too much for the flavor and she needs to smoke a lot to get relief

On the upside, the yield was decent, OBS 3 is actually pretty darn good bud, and I've learned a TON!

Thanks everyone who checked in and especially those who helped....see you on the next one!

This is my first post ever, my first journal ever, and my first grow in about 13 years. Back then, I moved out of a state where it was easy to get a medical card to a state where only terminally ill patients were allowed medicine. They've relaxed that a little and now they allow medicine for more conditions so my wife is getting a card. Here's what I'm doing:

Strains: One strain is one that my late brother bred back home. It's a cross between White Widow and Skunk. The seeds are about 15-years old, but I did manage to germinate 2 of them.

The other strain is bagseed from a dispensary in Oregon. They were selling 1/8s of a lightly seeded strain for $13 so we grabbed one and saved the seeds. I figure these are the result of one of two possibilities: either a plant went hermaphrodite and pollinated itself, or a nearby plant went hermie and pollinated this one. Either way, I'm guessing this might be a mistake growing these, but we thought we'd give it a try and just keep a close eye on them.

Environment: Indoors in a 4x4 tent in a finished basement using organic soil (mixture of FFOF and locally produced premium potting soil, with earthworm castings and perlite added). I've got a single variable speed inline fan blowing at low speed into the bottom of the tent, and a circulating fan blowing inside. The Oregon bagseed (OBS) are in 1 gal pots and the White Widow Skunk (JWWS) are in 2 gal.

Lighting: Currently under 400w MH. This will be swapped to 1000w HPS for flowering

Status: 28 days from seed. They're very stretchy. The OGS plants have little to no secondary growth.

Going forward, I'm facing these dilemmas: 1.) We're only allowed 7 plants in veg and 2 "mature", so I'll need to cull some, and 2.) The OGS seeds I have no idea if they're an autoflower strain or if feminized or hermies or what. The JWWS I believe are regular seed so I may have to deal with males. I'm pretty much a noob with only a single 20-month perpetual grow (3 harvests) under my belt. I like the ideas I'm seeing on here for SCROG and LST, so I might try one of those.

Here's pics.

Thats sad but hey he lives on through your seeds try to get a female drop a couple clones in the woods :)

I'm getting close to closing out this journal. I'm going to call this grow a FAIL, for many reasons:

Thanks everyone who checked in and especially those who helped....see you on the next one!

I wouldn't call it a fail; You still got a bunch of usable weed and experience gathered is invaluable;
Your next grow will be a huge success ! Experience can't be invented and now you have some more.

We'll continue helping and inspiring each other over the next grows. It's a lot of fun :)

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom