Newtoitall's First Grow Journal

newtoitall

I have thought about growing off and on for several years but never took the step. After reading hundreds of posts on the site and going through a majority of the "How to Grow Marijuana - Everything You Need to Know!" posts, I decided to purchase seeds. A little background, I enjoy doing things for the first time. I learn as much as I can, often from the mistakes of others. I did an inventory of things around my home that I could use for the grow. Like many newbies I purchased tons of other things that may make a seasoned grower envious. I believe strongly in giving anything you set out to do the best chance for success through knowledge and tools. I decided on a basement grow as I can better control temperature and humidity (north eastern location). Things I already had at my disposal

400 watt metal halide lamps, ballasts and model bases (from other projects) Lamps are 40k + lumens, 6500 kelvin so better suited for veg than flower but also purchased some lower color temperature lamps as well

12/2 wire and receptacles and boxes as well as available breakers

6" inline duct fans

2"x4"x8' studs

1/2" 4'x8' insulation panels with foil backing

Pots of all sizes

I purchased many other things including different fertilizers and amendments, air filters, fans, lights, controllers, meters and watering systems.

I purchased feminized seeds for the greatest chance for buds. After reading the advantages of clones I will pull cuttings from my first grow to get a start on my next grow.

I received my seeds and once I had supplies and my space ready I used the wet paper towel idea for breaking them out of their little shell. I only had three of the four seeds germinate (within 3 days) and I decided to move them all to their first pots. I have had all four pots under a single 400 watt metal halide lamp at that started at about 18" about each pot. The three seedlings are all at different stages of growth with one runt, one middle sized and one over achiever with multiple sets of leaves. The humidity has been on the low end ~42% and temperature just about 80 f. So far the seedlings look pretty healthy and I will try my best not to kill them with love (or fertilizer) I will try to post pics asap and update the journal as often as practical. Any advice or critique of my grow is fine and I will do my best to apply what I feel is based on good science and not just personal preference or beliefs.

Here is some info on the seeds. I will post a few pics soon and try to add mew pics as the grow progresses

Bubble Kush is an exciting cross of original Bubble Gum and an
underground Californian classic OG Kush. The result is super tasty
buds that have a sweet fruity flavor with a hint of fresh citrus. One
of the most interesting discoveries with this cross was the yield.
The combination far out yielded either parent while THC percentage
stayed very high (+20%). Bubble Kush has become one of the top
yield to THC ratio plants we have ever seen, you could say the perfect
balance of yield and strength. Super easy to grow the plant will flower
in less than 8 weeks and deliver some of the most impressive yields
you’ve ever seen. Bubble Kush delivers a strong mental and physical
stone that easily exceeds most high yielding varieties.

Looking good!
For the pics, if using a phone take pics with handset side on. Or simply rotate before uploading! :)
For your girl, use a gentle touch, but open up the growing tip as often as you can. Gently spread the immature young foliage. Simply put you want the node spacing stacked up. So opening up the growing tips and spreading gently promotes the faster development of each node, so the next is started early.
You get more bang for your buck with this simple technique.Just do it as often as you can! as well as carefully! :)

When I saved the picture it was the correct orientation so I didn't rotate it, not used to iphones yet. Thanks for the advise, I will try that

I am getting a better feel for watering and adding nutrients. I was a little over zealous at first and hurt the babies. I have one plant that most likely wont make it, one that is only half the size of the other and one that is thriving. I have my humidity and temperature in a better range as well and now I am just trying to keep things from going south. I had other seeds so I started a new batch and all 6 germinated and are under CFL's this time instead of going right to a 400 watt mh. Anyone that is following my first grow, tell me how you did on your first time around

When my first plants are further along I plan on taking cuttings for clones and putting them in an aeroponic cloning machine. I figured it would pay for itself quickly over buying more seeds and the time it will save.

I want to add a little more about my set up. I have four stations right now and will have an area for drying completed soon. The first area is for seeds to germinate (soon to be for the clones). The area is 30"w x 30"d x 48"h running 8-60w CFL's and 4-24" fluorescent's. The temperature in the space is around 73f at the top of the pots. My second station is 30"w x 30"d x 48"h and holds the seedlings until they reach about 12". Lighting is a 400w mh in a cool tube. temperature at the top of the pots run 75-78 and humidity around 45%. Right now I am running lights in both of the first two stations 24 hours a day. I have a final area for vegging which is 36"d x 60"w x 72"h. The room houses two 400 watt mh lamps in cool tubes. I haven't used this area yet so I have no temperature or humidity readings yet but I shouldn't have any trouble controlling the either now. My last station is for flowering and is 96"w x 72"d x 72"h and houses 3-400w hps lamps in cool tubes. I should have no problem controlling temperature or humidity in the flowering room. I have timers for lights so when I decide to go to an 18/6 for vegging and a 12/12 for flowering it will all be automatic. I have 6" and 8" inline fans as well as a couple 6" carbon filters to make sure there is no unwanted odors. As I said I am sure I went a little far to set up my first grow but I like to have the tools for success and if I find I have no need for some of what I bought I can always find some other use for most of it, I am always involved in some kind of diy project. If anyone has any suggestion in how to best utilize what I have so far let me know, all responses will be accepted

Sounds like you have a lot going on and an awful lot planned out. Sounds like an awesome set up :). If i was to make a suggestion it would be to lower the light cycle to 18/6 or at least 20/4. After more than 20 hours of light in a day you hit a point of diminishing returns.

Plants, like us need time to rejuvenate, rest, and build what you cant see. This is where the dark period comes into play.

Roots, the building blocks of a heavy harvest are created more during the dark period. Without roots, there is no yield... There is also the thought of the electricity bill, an extra 4 or 6 hours per day adds up to an awful lot over the course of a week, month and year...

Also.. Lol. The lights you are running have a limit of running hours before they loose their lumens output. Every hour of every day will run them down faster.

All in all. Keep doing what you are doing. Sounds all good :)

I have been building while the little ones are growing. I had hoped to have them on a 18/6 schedule by now but I couldn't do that until I am able to control lights off temperature. I am growing in the basement and outside temperatures have been getting near zero. I am thinking I may have the lights out during the day since I am able to control light in my space, that way I won't have as big a swing in temperature from light to dark. Thanks for the advice, all is welcome

I grow in Scotland of all places lol I personally feel that you are better to turn fans off an hour before lights off and let the temps build up, and keep them off until lights on rather than running the lights all day. Just my personal thoughts but temp swings are not the worst really so long as the grow can stay above 18c you are all good ;)

Back
Top Bottom