Olddog Newtricks First Grow #2 Blueberry Cheese From Barney's Farm

Do you all break your buds down to dry them, or leave them in spears and dry em whole?

Do you all break your buds down to dry them, or leave them in spears and dry em whole?
I've done it both ways, the bigger buds just take a few more days to dry ;)

Gorilla Punch Auto...

Day 111 NOTM NO card Natural 10 Nov 2023.jpg

Cheers

Finally pulled the trigger and took Lisa’s tops. Should be able to take Maggie’s tomorrow.
Hopefully the lowers don’t take more than a couple days to ripen. Can’t wait to see totals on this, these buds are dense.

IMG_3374.jpeg

IMG_3375.jpeg

IMG_3376.jpeg

took a quick strill through the Journal. nice. One thing I noticed is what looked like some wind burn from your fan as I have done it in my time especially in flower worried about every growers nightmare, bud rot! A suggestion would be to point the fan so it moves the air in the tent but doesnt blow directly on the plants. One thing that can cause it to spring out even with good air flow is if you go squeezing nuggets and you actually squeeze out moisture in an area in the cola that really isnt going to be given the chance to evaporate. Its okat to lightly touch the flower and sniff your fingers just dont go squeezing.

I grew autos once and they went way over the quoted flowering time by like 4 weeks ..its genetics

now in regards to flowering times that we are given they are averages based on thier growing enviornment and what they consider to be peak potency and some like it clody with clear ,some like it all cloudy and others cloudy with 10-20% amber and some full amber and so on. So what does that mean.. well to me peak would be anywhere from 80% cloudy 20%clear to 100%cloudy ..so if a seed bank has 9 weeks posted you start looking at trichomes around week 8 and if you are one that likes full amber you might as well add close to an extra 1-2 weeks and the variable is going to be your environment . In my room no matter what strain I have grown my plants have always gone 2 weeks over on average and my current grow is no exception and I count the first day of flower when I see pistils coming out of the growth shoots and thats the day I count and mark on my calender. Oh and at that marked its geberally 90% cloudy 10% amber.

Harevesting I generally take the whole plant as its easier , you can and I have in my time only taken partial . I then cut the branches and split the stalk to make like a hanging hook and trim all the fans and flower .. I have done wet and dry trim , I'm more of a wet trim guy. I have also bucket all my buds and put them on a screen. The difference is the buckets buds dry quicker than buds still attached to the branches as they have less water to contend with. the best drying environment is 65-70F and 60rh ..low and slow so the enzymes have plenty of time to work to aid in making it smooth. In those conditions it generally takes on average 12 days and it depends on the air movement amount of bud and size of the bud ..I do not use the snap or squeeze test .. I use a wood moisture meter and look for 10-11% sticking the probes directly into the nuggets ..once there its to jars or grove bags ...now all that has changed for me with the addition of a freeze dryer and thats whole nother process that I am currently learning and thuroughly enjoying!

again nice job! I hope you find some usefull info in the small book I just typed. lol Happy 420!! @Olddog Newtrick

took a quick strill through the Journal. nice. One thing I noticed is what looked like some wind burn from your fan as I have done it in my time especially in flower worried about every growers nightmare, bud rot! A suggestion would be to point the fan so it moves the air in the tent but doesnt blow directly on the plants. One thing that can cause it to spring out even with good air flow is if you go squeezing nuggets and you actually squeeze out moisture in an area in the cola that really isnt going to be given the chance to evaporate. Its okat to lightly touch the flower and sniff your fingers just dont go squeezing.

I grew autos once and they went way over the quoted flowering time by like 4 weeks ..its genetics

now in regards to flowering times that we are given they are averages based on thier growing enviornment and what they consider to be peak potency and some like it clody with clear ,some like it all cloudy and others cloudy with 10-20% amber and some full amber and so on. So what does that mean.. well to me peak would be anywhere from 80% cloudy 20%clear to 100%cloudy ..so if a seed bank has 9 weeks posted you start looking at trichomes around week 8 and if you are one that likes full amber you might as well add close to an extra 1-2 weeks and the variable is going to be your environment . In my room no matter what strain I have grown my plants have always gone 2 weeks over on average and my current grow is no exception and I count the first day of flower when I see pistils coming out of the growth shoots and thats the day I count and mark on my calender. Oh and at that marked its geberally 90% cloudy 10% amber.

Harevesting I generally take the whole plant as its easier , you can and I have in my time only taken partial . I then cut the branches and split the stalk to make like a hanging hook and trim all the fans and flower .. I have done wet and dry trim , I'm more of a wet trim guy. I have also bucket all my buds and put them on a screen. The difference is the buckets buds dry quicker than buds still attached to the branches as they have less water to contend with. the best drying environment is 65-70F and 60rh ..low and slow so the enzymes have plenty of time to work to aid in making it smooth. In those conditions it generally takes on average 12 days and it depends on the air movement amount of bud and size of the bud ..I do not use the snap or squeeze test .. I use a wood moisture meter and look for 10-11% sticking the probes directly into the nuggets ..once there its to jars or grove bags ...now all that has changed for me with the addition of a freeze dryer and thats whole nother process that I am currently learning and thuroughly enjoying!

again nice job! I hope you find some usefull info in the small book I just typed. lol Happy 420!! @Olddog Newtrick
Thank you for the input!
I’ll try to keep a better eye on my fans.
My new grow, I’m doing more training to hopefully keep the bud sites more even so they mature together. We’ll see how that goes.. lol
I just did a quick wet trim and figured I’d do a more detailed trim before curing.
Good idea on the moisture meter.
I have the buds hanging in a mesh drying basket.
I expected the trics to mature more evenly but, I have some foxtailing on a couple plants that has white pistils and clears yet in other spots I am getting amber so, I’m just kinda winging it. Seems each plant has done something different so I’m just trying to apply the info I’ve been told on a plant by plant, and even bud by bud basis.
The lower buds I left still have a lot of clear and no amber.
Basically, as soon as I see a fair amount of amber, I feel I’m ok to take the bud.

Thank you for the input!
I’ll try to keep a better eye on my fans.
My new grow, I’m doing more training to hopefully keep the bud sites more even so they mature together. We’ll see how that goes.. lol
I just did a quick wet trim and figured I’d do a more detailed trim before curing.
Good idea on the moisture meter.
I have the buds hanging in a mesh drying basket.
I expected the trics to mature more evenly but, I have some foxtailing on a couple plants that has white pistils and clears yet in other spots I am getting amber so, I’m just kinda winging it. Seems each plant has done something different so I’m just trying to apply the info I’ve been told on a plant by plant, and even bud by bud basis.
The lower buds I left still have a lot of clear and no amber.
Basically, as soon as I see a fair amount of amber, I feel I’m ok to take the bud.
don't mention it as we are here to help and have all been there at one point or another. Its all part of the learning process.
On the fans you gentle breeze in there at one time I could have flown a small kite with how much I had mine going. lol
Mesh baskets are nice .
One the trics ..look at them kind of like a cup of coffee. some like it black, some like it with sugar and some like it with sugar and cream etc. so I said that to say its about you figuring out how you like it. To do that sacrifices have to be made:). I would say pick one of those lower branches that you speak of mark it / track it in your drying area and do some smoke and effect testing(my favorite kind of testing). I feel that you might just be surprised on the effects and who knows you just might like it more that way :). Sacrifices like that are part of the game , like right now I'm sacrificing branches to dial in my freeze dried tech and umm I was very surprised at on the effects of a branch that was at least 3-4 weeks out the effects seems to be clear headed , body relaxing and pain numbing with a dash of sunshine! all the pistils where white and the bracts where not even close to being swollen and the trics well they where all clear.
Note: that in the hang dry/curing process trics will still age.

so pick some ,dry it , test it and note it my friend and don't put to much weight on it being the commercially perfect standard. Find yours!! Happy Sunday !!

Oh on the fox tailing I have it happen and don't worry to much about it. Its just a tad more tedious to trim. Smokes just fine :)

don't mention it as we are here to help and have all been there at one point or another. Its all part of the learning process.
On the fans you gentle breeze in there at one time I could have flown a small kite with how much I had mine going. lol
Mesh baskets are nice .
One the trics ..look at them kind of like a cup of coffee. some like it black, some like it with sugar and some like it with sugar and cream etc. so I said that to say its about you figuring out how you like it. To do that sacrifices have to be made:). I would say pick one of those lower branches that you speak of mark it / track it in your drying area and do some smoke and effect testing(my favorite kind of testing). I feel that you might just be surprised on the effects and who knows you just might like it more that way :). Sacrifices like that are part of the game , like right now I'm sacrificing branches to dial in my freeze dried tech and umm I was very surprised at on the effects of a branch that was at least 3-4 weeks out the effects seems to be clear headed , body relaxing and pain numbing with a dash of sunshine! all the pistils where white and the bracts where not even close to being swollen and the trics well they where all clear.
Note: that in the hang dry/curing process trics will still age.

so pick some ,dry it , test it and note it my friend and don't put to much weight on it being the commercially perfect standard. Find yours!! Happy Sunday !!

Oh on the fox tailing I have it happen and don't worry to much about it. Its just a tad more tedious to trim. Smokes just fine :)
Sounds like good solid advice to me! Thanks again!

Sounds like good solid advice to me! Thanks again!
You are very welcome!! Its experience and the willingness to share. Experience=is the success you have found/come upon through your failures :) .

Baby Maggie’s tops are down!

IMG_3380.jpeg

IMG_3381.jpeg

2024-04-21-15-21-58-540.jpeg

2024-04-21-15-22-29-997.jpeg

2024-04-21-15-25-38-240.jpeg

IMG_3390.jpeg

I just scrolled back through this thread and can’t help but laugh. I thought they were getting close a month ago… lol in hindsight, I have learned a lot and I love you all for teaching me and being patient.

Took your advice and picked up one of those moisture meters.. thanks for the advice there!
Lisa’s tops were at 7-8% but the stems weren’t snapping. I trimmed em up and put them in grove bags with a digital hygrometer and I’ll keep an eye on em. Got 2.6 oz. Just from the tops of Lisa so, I’m happy!

Marge is down!
I went and took the whole plant. She was a week longer than the others and had a bit more larf but she’s done, and I’m happy. Once I get some weights, I can call my first grow complete!
Thanks to everyone here for all the help. Without you, I don’t think I could have done it!
Now….. what to plant next?

IMG_3401.jpeg

IMG_3402.jpeg

Marge is down!
I went and took the whole plant. She was a week longer than the others and had a bit more larf but she’s done, and I’m happy. Once I get some weights, I can call my first grow complete!
Thanks to everyone here for all the help. Without you, I don’t think I could have done it!
Now….. what to plant next?

IMG_3401.jpeg

IMG_3402.jpeg
It's funny how sayings change meaning under different circumstances...

I'd Hit that! Lol

Great 👍 Job!

It's funny how sayings change meaning under different circumstances...

I'd Hit that! Lol

Great 👍 Job
Something @JiggiLotus said pops into my head all the time now, and did again when trimming buds. “Definitely lick that” I can’t help but laugh every time. :p

Back
Top Bottom