Outdoor Organic Balcony Stealth Quadlining: White Widow/Gorgonzola

Do you have any close ups of your trichs?
I have just uploaded 3 bud/trichome closeups of 3-WWG, the White/Gorgonzola Quad girl, I will post them at the end of this. I was trying to 'stealthily' shift things around on the balcony so I could arrange some decent views of all the plants but inquisitive family members busted my plans. So under those constraints, in this post I am mostly just focusing on 3-WWG but included an aerial of all 3 plants squashed together.

It’s pretty scary that extra precautions aren’t stopping the virus. :nervous-guy:
Staying home is the best thing, for everyone. Hopefully as time goes on we'll see a reversal of these numbers.

Looking great out there and congrats on joining the "shelter in place" club. :high-five:
Cheers Shed, I think sheltering in place is the best thing to do.

I'm not sure a "surge" of nitrogen is a good thing, but keeping the N levels where the plant wants them through the end is a good thing.

Here is a post I did with plant analysis done during veg and flower.
I read that posting of your's previously and thought it was very useful and eye opening, especially as I had bogged myself down with the idea I had to be sparingly applying Nitrogen amendments. That posting of your's and article referenced was a really good read! :Namaste:

I was in 2 minds whether to amend or let them run with what they got. But I decided to jump in now and give them a little top dressing. Of Blood n Bone, I just now gave 4 tablespoons to 3-WWG and 3 tablespoons to 2-WW. At any other time in their development I would recognize them as probably as benefiting from some Nitrogen but I felt hesitant at this point in flower, however Shed reminding me of that article and post he'd put up previously, and Emeraldo who has a number of times said similar, so I felt it should be no issue to give them a little boost now that will get into the soil with the subsequent waterings over the coming days. My plan in April is to reduce waterings and have a go at drought stressing them in their final run to harvest!

Here are 2 plant pics from today, the first of 3-WWG and the second of the 3 plants in an aerial pics. You can see the quality of green isn't critical but nonetheless there is lightening, anyway we'll see how the Blood n Bone goes as a final top dressing until harvest.

Here are 3 bud/trichome closeups of 3-WWG (the big girl). I will hopefully get an opportunity to get some decent pics of the other 2 plants in the coming days.

All the best everyone and do your best to stay safe and well. :hookah:

Hi Stunger, I just saw your photo in the Quadline Squad thread and wow, well done :circle-of-love: they look amazing. I had two small autos on my balcony last summer, not that I had to worry about size, but sure I had to worry about smell. Panic planted lavender and flowers to mingle in with the smell... How do you handle it??? Have a happy day ☀
Thanks Steff,

Re the smell; I think I am just lucky in that regard. The balcony is on a house not an apartment and the elderly near neighbors are not savvy about it's scent I guess/hope. :hookah:

Looking great out there and congrats on joining the "shelter in place" club. :high-five:

I'd say if you're looking at mid-April then I'd make sure they don't lose the fans early, or fall sunlight won't have anything to fall on!

I didn't know you were another Californian! Northern or southern?

Hi Shed, likewise I did not know your whereabouts and just assumed you were in New Zealand! I am in NoCal. About a 30-minute drive from Sacramento. We are all sheltering in place.

Your graph on NPK+ utilization in Veg and Flower (your link above) is very telling. I can see where Stunger was getting his info for his comment some weeks back that cannabis in flowering needs almost as much N as in veg. And so little P is used in flowering. That's myth-busting info. I wonder why the conventional wisdom, even on sites like grow weed ez suggest otherwise. What is the source for these graphs?

I am in NoCal. About a 30-minute drive from Sacramento. We are all sheltering in place.
My daughter goes to Davis when they're not shut down! But when we're sheltering in place, we're all in Los Angeles.
What is the source for these graphs?
Interestingly enough, the video posts on farside's thread that have the links and pdf are from Advanced Nutrients, and their site growersunderground .com. You can read the whole lab report here.

My daughter goes to Davis when they're not shut down! But when we're sheltering in place, we're all in Los Angeles.

Interestingly enough, the video posts on farside's thread that have the links and pdf are from Advanced Nutrients, and their site growersunderground .com. You can read the whole lab report here.

I went to Davis, too.

Looks to me like BC Research of Vancouver, Canada did some work for Advanced Nutrients, if I read that correctly. Tellingly entitled "PhosphorusMyth". I guess their research into the consumption of cannabis nutrients by various strains showed that cannabis plants do not need much additional P during flowering, shattering the widely held belief that flowering cannabis needs lots more P than in veg. Hence the title PhosphorusMyth. I guess the flipside of that myth was the N-myth, which held that plants in flower need substantially LESS nitrogen than in veg. Both are "myths", I guess. This is very interesting material, and it would change the way I mix up my soil and topdress. I wonder if these findings have been corroborated by others. Anyway, thanks!

All's going well so far in 'containment'. I managed to get few minutes to take some pics of the 2 smaller girls, which meant moving 3-WWG, the bigger quad girl aside to reposition the other 2 for picture taking, the balcony is quite tight with the present crop. :hookah:

Update on 2-WW - White Widow

Update on 1-GGa - Gorilla Glue Auto day 85

Keep safe and well everybody.:high-five:

In containment, people are too busy with their own lives to be bothered with snooping on their neighbor to see what he is growing in his balcony grow. In containment, people try to keep a distance and will not come too close to their neighbor's balcony. In containment, the strong skunky smell coming from thy neighbor's balcony does not attract any negative suspicion because it reminds one of medicine that is used to prevent and treat illness.

Just kidding. Don't be lulled into a false sense of security. Even though this is a stealth grow. Ahem.
:blunt:

It's been a fun grow. Stealthy but fun. A little risk, what the hay. But that Lady GaGa auto is impressive. Looks weighty, and the trichs are wonderful. Now that I am in containment for the next months, maybe three or four months, am considering growing a 60-day auto lemon. Never grew an auto before, but now am going to give it a try. Will post.

Wonderful mouth-watering photos! The amber tones are starting! You have had such a great grow this year, congrats Stunger!

Just kidding. Don't be lulled into a false sense of security. Even though this is a stealth grow. Ahem.
Absolutely with you on that!

It's been a fun grow. Stealthy but fun. A little risk, what the hay. But that Lady GaGa auto is impressive. Looks weighty, and the trichs are wonderful. Now that I am in containment for the next months, maybe three or four months, am considering growing a 60-day auto lemon. Never grew an auto before, but now am going to give it a try. Will post.

Wonderful mouth-watering photos! The amber tones are starting! You have had such a great grow this year, congrats Stunger!
Thanks Emeraldo! There was a snatch of sunshine just now, so I dashed out to take a couple more closeups of the Gorilla Glue Auto which I just included in the posting above.

This is the first Auto I've grown and I had no idea what to expect. Previously the auto's I'd seen up close and personal, were quite small with low yields. But this one I think will yield at least 4oz or so, which for me will be very useful contribution to the yearly harvest! It has been very trouble free and quick growing compared to the quad girl photoperiod plants. The proof will be in the pudding, so far I haven't sampled it but trichome wise it is looking frosty, altho the trichomes are still all clear/cloudy. It will be great having it as an option once all dried and cured, as I am very interested in the idea of the variety of choice, and having different strains that offer distinctive experiences.

I was able to try some bud from my growing friend whose GGa was from the same batch as mine, which he'd also kicked off on the same day as mine. He let his freely grow as a 'Christmas tree' while I LST'd mine which seemed to slow down my plant's development a little. The sample of his that I tried was immature but nonetheless very encouraging. I always thought that (at least a few years ago) that Auto's were not as potent as Photos, but my guess is that this GGa will be up there at a good level, the more the better! It is already impressively frosty so I am guessing it wont be lacking in potency.

Currently, I have such a sea of buds on the balcony that I don't dare kick off any more plants, even tho it would have been easy to have sprouted a couple already, but there is so much 'buddage' on the balcony I didn't feel comfortable having further plants kicking off as well as the big girls kicking up a stink for anyone smelling. I am keen to see what these autos can do if they're kicked off in Autumn/Winter, that really opens up options for growing out of the traditional season. :surf:

Great looking trichome pics of great looking trichomes! You're heading for a great harvest Stunger. :welldone:
I wonder if these findings have been corroborated by others.
A number of nute lines (including MegaCrop) have changed their formulas to reflect this info. I use MC and so do a lot of other growers on here who are knocking it out of the park with one simple 9-6-17 nutrient from start to finish.

Great looking trichome pics of great looking trichomes! You're heading for a great harvest Stunger. :welldone:

A number of nute lines (including MegaCrop) have changed their formulas to reflect this info. I use MC and so do a lot of other growers on here who are knocking it out of the park with one simple 9-6-17 nutrient from start to finish.
Thanks Shed! As an outdoor grower it is such an amazingly long wait during the cold months to begin a grow, and now to be at the point 6.5 months since sprouting to be able to see trichomes and buds and colas! I have never had a potential harvest like this before, and I love the view of them when I open the curtains!

Re the discussion of nute ratios; That really is so interesting. A few years ago I had bought some Canna nutes and their PK 13/14. I hadn't used them over the last couple of grows preferring an organic living soil approach, but this season I gave in to the fear that if I wanted my colas to be massive I then had to also give the girls some PK 13/14 , which I did at half dose. But after doing so I felt undecided as to whether it made any difference or not, I half felt it didn't. My main thought on this grow was to keep the girls happy, which was mostly from the hope that I'd worked in sufficient balanced quantities of amendments to the soil in the 'off season'. The rest was foliar feeding, and watering with diluted worm wee along with kelp extract, fish hydrolysate, humic/fulvic acids, plus Blood n Bone sometimes top dressed.

The result was that the plants stayed looking happy/well. But I also had this fixation that Nitrogen was bad in anything but minimal quantities during flowering and large amounts of P were needed. My gut feeling now is what Shed/Farside are highlighting is quite correct, as based on what I have seen it make sense. Funny too with a lot of the MC fed plants, just how darn lush and healthy they look when getting the nutrients they want. I feel it causes you to never mind so much on the figures, but on whether the plants are happy and well, and if they are, then flowering will probably take care of itself.

Thanks Shed. Maybe this is the new trend: buy one 9-6-17 nutrient mix instead of mixing multiple nutrients and products. If Greenleaf Nutrients has done their homework and got it right (nothing missing), then one 9-6-17 food is all the plants need. It's simpler. But I still need to get my head around this.

3-WWG White Widow/Gorgonzola update

I'm going a bit stir crazy with this containment situation we're in, but full respect to all those folks working in essential services and to those who are getting knocked around by this.

As there is not much else going on until I start making some lasagna later, so I will just post some pics of 3-WWG taken today since I did the other 2 girls yesterday. There has been some light rain, and mostly overcast. There are quite a few pistils on 3-WWG that are now browning. Some trichomes have early amber showing, overall they appear to be developing nicely.

So anyway, here's a few pics of 3-WWG

I took the opportunity just now to spray the girls with BT. This morning I spotted and squashed a small caterpillar on one cola head of WWG, I also found one a couple of days ago on a cola of GGa. A BT spray had been scheduled, but we'd had a run of days with showery weather so I held back to get a dryer day. Over all the plants appear a lot happier and better than my crop at this same stage last year. Hopefully that indicates I am learning some lessons from the experience. There has been mistakes this time too, so next year there should be plenty more to improve on.

As I have finished all my supply of last year's harvest, I have been cutting off small lower popcorn buds from the WW as and when needed, chopping them fine and leaving them to dry overnight. But today, there was one medium sized cola on the White Widow/Gorgonzola cross, where the top quarter of an inch of the head had become brown, only a little, at first I thought it had was just the pistils browning a bit more than the others, but today it was evident it was dying probably from caterpillar damaging the stem inside of that top bud. I used the opportunity to cut a couple of inches off that cola and ready it for an overnight dry. I haven't yet carried out any early testing on the WWG so that will be interesting whether I notice any difference compared with the early bud I have tested from WW so far. I was pleased and impressed with how dense the bud seemed when I chopped it up.

All the best to everyone, :hookah:

Today's post is mostly a pictorial update of the 3 girls for bud development, trichome status etc.

1-GGa Gorilla Glue Auto - day 88

2-WW White Widow - approx beginning week 10 flowering

3-WWG White Widow/Gorgonzola - approx beginning week 10 flowering

There's a sneaky caterpillar at the bottom of that last pic, I sprayed BT a couple of days ago so hopefully that one and any others are only temporarily!

Keep well everyone.

Mouthwatering! How are the amber trichomes coming?
1-GGa: clear - clear/cloudy
2-WW: clear/cloudy/initial early amber
3-WWG: clear/cloudy/initial early amber

That is my current read on them. I'm seeing no amber so far on the Gorilla Glue Auto. Of the 2 Quad girls I am only seeing 'early' amber, not yet developed to where I'd like them. I am anticipating another 2 - 3 weeks for the 2 photo quad girls. I have no idea about the Gorilla, she seems in no particular hurry!

Back
Top Bottom