Pre-Med's 1st Grow - DWC - Multi-Strain Journal - Spring 2016

premedgrow

Hello fellow marijuana enthusiasts and those simply intrigued by the topic!

*This is the first time I have written a blog about a hobby of mine so please bare with me through this process!*

Get to Know Me:

Throughout this blog, I will be revealing some aspects of my life because I am a very busy young adult and will most likely wanna talk about some details of my day-to-day operations. With that being said, I will not mention my name or anything identifying of that sort.

I am a 20 year old male residing in the suburbs of Denver, CO. I am in my junior year of university studying a discipline of Biology. I plan to matriculate to medical school after completing my bachelor’s degree. It’s really common for the students at my school to smoke weed lol. I smoked a few times in high school but never really cared for the taste, smell, or the effects. I attribute this to my naivety and lack of experience with smoking. After trying it a few times with my dormmates, I started to develop a need for weed. The euphoria and relaxation I experienced was unreal and it was a good alternative to my prescription migraine pills which had horrible side effects! At this point, I figured I would probably smoke socially. I never imagined I would become a total stoner!

Fast forward to 2016…

Although I do my fair share of shopping around the Denver metro for great deals on outstanding bud, I couldn’t help but feel like I should stop spending my money at these places completely. While there is a luxury of having the bud prepared and ready for consumption (amongst other great products), I really have to stop living a top-shelf lifestyle on a cheaper-than shake budget! So that’s when I finally decided to grow weed for myself. Now you’re probably thinking, if he’s so worried about money how can he afford to grow? Answer: Several generations of my family was born and raised in Colorado so I had more than enough stoners to ask for investments from.

Strains: 2x Mango Chocolope Sativa Hybrid, 2x Bedhead Sativa Hybrid, 2x Black Sugar Rose Indica

I spent the last few weeks reading articles, watching tutorials, scouring reviews, just totally diving into anything that discussed marijuana growing. My brother and I actually went to several shops around Denver to price items, get some inspiration, and ask questions from ‘the experts’. After taking into consideration the cost and quality of the products at most of the grow stores, we decided it would be best to purchase everything a la carte from the internet. This really allowed me to have the freedom to craft my grow room the way I want on a budget I can afford. I looked at a ton of different growing options, I landed on Deep Water Culture ------------.
tumblr_inline_o3xbs2gkFS1qb76k9_500.jpg

I got all of the equipment for the hydroponics system from a grow store because the kits online are pretty much shit unless you’re willing to throw down a lot of money for a good system. I purchased 6x 5-gallon buckets, 6 rhizocore Lids, 50′ ft of 3/16″ air tubing, and a 951 gph oxygen pump. I’m sure you could buy this equipment from your local warehouse hardware store if there aren’t grow shops in your area.

This system allows the plant’s root system to have constant exposure to oxygenated nutrient-rich water. In each grow bucket is an airstone that is connected by tubing to the main oxygen pump in the grow area. It’s been proven that the roots actually feed on oxygen while the leaves of the plant feed on Carbon Dioxide and Light. By “feeding” the plant constantly, we can ensure that it will grow to be happy and healthy.

I am using a Gorilla Grow Tent LITE LINE 4x4
tumblr_inline_o3xbswJ83J1qb76k9_500.jpg

I don’t want to clutter the tent so I purchased an all-in-one Indoor Temperature and Humidity Monitor because it’s just as important to regulate these aspects as it is to give light to your plants! To assist with controlling things, I got a 7-Day Digital Program Timer so I can control when devices turn on and off. For now, I don’t have anything plugged into it because everything needs to be running for 24hrs but that will change soon (I’ll also explain the light schedule later).

Since I’ve mentioned lights a million times, I should tell you that I decided to go for the LED route. WHOA! Why would a beginner do this? I decided the LED was the best bang for my buck because it uses the least amount of electricity, produces the least heat, and you can purchase specific light spectra so you’re not producing light your plants can’t absorb! LED also saved me from purchasing a light ballast, multiple light bulbs (with multiple replacements per year!), and exhaust hood. All together those items would have easily costed $500 and been inefficient for my growing experience. These lights are covered by a 2-year warranty and are built to last almost 50,000 hours! While there are a ton of LED products, most of them are extremely expensive and it’s usually because they think so highly of “Made in the USA” craftsmanship. To me, if it does the job reliably, proficiently, safely, and it’s covered by a warranty, I don’t really care where it’s from. I chose to use 2 Roleadro COB Full Spectrum 400w LED Grow Light’s. This company was formerly known by Galaxy Hydro and consistently ranks in the top 5 best LED lights for growing cannabis! It’s also super powerful, almost full spectrum, and CHEAP!!!

Currently, I have an exhaust system loosely installed at the roof of my tent.
tumblr_inline_o3xbtrCNMS1qb76k9_500.jpg

I say loosely because the carbon filter and fan are connected to the load bearing bars of the roof; however, they are not connected to each other…yet. It’s been a step by step process so far. I purchased a 6" Inline Duct Fan with Virgin Charcoal Carbon Filter Combo along with 25feet of 6" ductingto exhaust the filtered air out of the tent. This set up will ensure that all of the odors and hot air that get trapped in the tent will be pulled out. I’ve also purchased 2x 6 Inch Clip-On Fan , one positioned above the lights to circulate the hot air, another positioned just beneath the plant’s growing level to circulate cool air. It will also create a pressure system that will pull in fresh air from the open mesh-lined vents on the base level. Gorilla has done a great job with these vents because they have built-in screens to prevent any foreign debris or organisms from entering the tent.

If you haven’t noticed, this blog is also going to be my lab journal. I thought about taking notes in a notebook but I thought it would be way more fun to share my experiences with you all! I would really appreciate any and all feedback you may have. I want to connect with weed lovers from across the world if possible.

Day 1 (March 10, 2016) - Clone Photos

I purchased all of the clones from a local clone store. They are known for producing high quality strains and offered a 30-day guarantee on all of their clones. The guys said I could even step on the plant and they'd still swap it out for another! Glad to have that reassurance since I feel like I'm doing a crappy job.

I got 2x Mango Chocolope Sativa Hybrid, 2x Bedhead Sativa Hybrid, 2x Black Sugar Rose Indica.
tumblr_o3x5n0MHqQ1vo5xhoo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_o3x5n0MHqQ1vo5xhoo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_o3x5n0MHqQ1vo5xhoo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_o3x5n0MHqQ1vo5xhoo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_o3x5n0MHqQ1vo5xhoo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_o3x5n0MHqQ1vo5xhoo1_1280.jpg

And I'm back :volcano-smiley:

I was on call this weekend and couldn't be around my grow tent for a few days so I had my brother look after the plants. I'll have to ask him for his notes. In the mean time, I have posted some of my notes below this to give you a better feel for the conditions in my room.

3/17 (Day 8) 5:30PM - Each reservoir was emptied, rinsed, and refilled with nutrient rich water. One teaspoon of Flora Micro, 1 tsp Flora Bloom, 1 tsp Flora Grow (each per 4 gallons of water) + 1/4-1/2pipette pH down.

3/19 7:30PM - pH checked and balanced in each reservoir. Initially ~7, balanced to 6-6.5 with pH down. Nutrient deficient and WPM affected leaves were pruned.

3/19 12:34AM 72°F 55% RH - Humidifier Refilled, Heater placed closer to tent for night.

3/20 11:15AM 73°F 73%RH - all lights off. Cold air fan on. Turned on exhaust system while cleaning the humidifier. Humidifier tank soaked with 16oz water + 16oz white vinegar. Heating chamber rinsed with white vinegar. Each piece allowed to sit for 20 minutes.

3/20 12:00PM 64° 33%RH - Exhaust system unplugged. Humidifier replaced and turned on.
3/20 12:47 73° 35%RH - Plants sprayed with H20/Baking Soda solution. (1/4tsp per 2 cups) to prevent WPM growth

3/20 2pm 58% RH 77°F

3/22 (Day 13) 8:45AM 70°F 60%RH - Clay pellets looked dry so I gave them a little spritz to wet them. Plants look healthy...for now.

Tag team growing... That's some relief I bet. I fear being away for more than a day. It's like I need a sitter for my plants. That's a brotherly brother...

KiG guys:green_heart:cheers

Haha the funny thing is that my brother rarely smokes but he's super interested in this project! I'm not complaining because it definitely helps me out.

This afternoon (~4:30pm 3/22), I made my boyfriend check the pH of each reservoir with me. I had to teach him a little chem but he's a fast learner :cheer:To summarize, each reservoir was almost back at a pH of 7 which is annoying. We adjusted each reservoir and added a little 50:50 nutrient solution/plain pH'd water to refill each bucket.

I just checked (~10:00pm) the ppm of each reservoir for the very first time since I began growing. I'm not too familiar with it but I figured it's something worth noting. Here are the stats:
141 ppm plain pH'd Water
277 ppm Lolita
261 ppm Esme
265 ppm Serafina
287 ppm Ariadne
266 ppm Blossom
276 ppm Camille

Also, I'm very pleased to announce the names I have selected for my wonderful ladies! There's a little preview above but I'm about to tell you what strain belongs to each. I've even looked up some info on these strains.
Bedhead - Esme and Blossom
The dispensary says, "(Blueberry x NYC Diesel) x (Sour Diesel x Headband). This Sativa hybrid, double diesel cross will not leave you disappointed. Heady on intake, sleepy on the come down-this brand new house cross provides the best of both worlds."
Mango Chocolope - Lolita and Ariadne

The dispensary says, "This strain has hybrid characteristics and is ideal for pain and relaxation without being too sleepy, perfect midday smoke."
DNA Genetics developed Chocolope by crossing Chocolate Thai with Cannalope Haze to create their homage to the Chocolate strains of the 1980s. The hefty sativa buds give earthy, sweet coffee flavors that provide a dreamy, cerebral effect. Consumers report a strong, euphoric mental shift that is great when coping with depression or stress.
Black Sugar Rose - Serafina and Camille
20150227_034604.jpg

20150226_1945501.jpg

These images were borrowed from fellow member, downtimej.
The dispensary says, "This 80/20 indica dominant smoke has an uppity feel. There is no taper effect on this buzz at all."
Sugar Black Rose is a cross of Critical Mass and Black Domina. An indica-dominant hybrid, Sugar Black Rose has a sweet taste with hints of fruit and fresh flowers. The aroma takes on a pungent, earthy musk that resembles exotic hash imported from overseas, and brings with it a relaxing body buzz that helps keep nausea, anxiety, and muscle pains at bay.

Check out this pic of Blossom's roots today!

I'm keeping an eye out on Esme's leaves

I'm also looking after Serafina

Some notes from today (Mar 23)

3/23 6:30AM 70 70%RH - Woke up to Blizzard conditions outside. One of the many perks of living in Colorado is our constantly changing weather. I was surprised the stats were holding steady; however the humidifier was running a little low. Humidifier refilled.

3/23 10:30AM 68* 83%RH - Humidifier turned off to let humidity drop. Heater turned on to warm room.

3/23 12:00PM 68° 46%RH - one lower vent closed to trap heat and humidity.

3/23 6:30PM 60%RH 75

Okay so I need a little bit of help...

Yesterday, I decided to FIM the plants to produce more main colas instead of focusing on just one. Now I'm wondering when I should start the Low Stress Training (LST)? Should I wait until the new sets of leaves form or should I start tying down the side branches and main shoots to allow for more light and circulation to the FIM'd areas? I can post pictures of things if you all would like, I'm just not sure what needs to be seen. Also, do I need to plan out the LST in order to make my grow more uniform or is it more of a 'tie-down as necessary' sort of thing?

The goal is an even canopy, that way light penetration is irrelevant to a certain extent. I would start training as soon as the new shoot are long enough to manipulate safely. Make a mental blueprint of what you plan to do with her current and future growth shoots. Even draw it out if it helps you picture it... Just remember that everything wants to grow upward, so your job is to only let it go up when you want to. Also keeping one part elevated higher than the rest will accelerate growth in the area. Hope you get the jist of what I'm saying there. Goodluck and...

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Week 3 - March 30, 2016

I hit up my local hydro store this morning and picked up a liter of SM-90 to combat the root rot and prevent any other nasties from forming throughout the process. Oh boy when they say this stuff smells good they really mean it!

I decided to give all of my reservoirs a clean and a water/nute change. I rinsed all of the buckets out with hot water then used a dilute bleach solution to "scrub" the walls and then I rinsed thoroughly a few times before replacing with nutrient solution.

Week 3 Nutrient Recipe
FloraMicro - 10mL per gallon
FloraGro - 10mL per gallon
FloraBloom - 5mL per gallon
SM-90 - 3mL per gallon
pH down - 1/3 pipette bringing us to about 5.8-6.0 (I need to invest in a real pH meter)

Temperature and Humidity have been holding steady around 72F and 55%RH.

Day 24 - Week 3 - April 3, 2016

Hello all! I just got back from a weekend away to Nebraska. Went to watch my boyfriend referee some semi-pro wrestling haha. It was awesome! I left my babies in the care of my brother and they're doing well. Let's take a look at our progress:

tumblr_o53dj7DRkF1vo5xhoo1_500.jpg

Lolita (Mango Chocolope Sativa) Day 24

tumblr_o53dnmpDhG1vo5xhoo1_500.jpg

Esme (Bedhead Sativa) Day 24

tumblr_o53dqkw9711vo5xhoo1_500.jpg

Serafina (Black Sugar Rose Indica) Day 24

tumblr_o53du0VeDa1vo5xhoo1_500.jpg

Ariadne (Mango Chocolope Sativa) Day 24

tumblr_o53dvfFgeI1vo5xhoo1_500.jpg

Blossom (Bedhead Sativa) Day 24

tumblr_o53dwytthL1vo5xhoo1_500.jpg

Camille (Black Sugar Rose Indica) Day 24

Premedgrow - i am suing Flora Blend this time around and it has made a huge difference to growth, particularly branching sites and size.
It is also supposed to help with heat and insect stress. The root nectar additive seems to make quite a difference as well,
Looking good :thumb:

I was thinking about adding FloraBlend or trying out a Fulvic/Humic Acid supplement to help with nutrient uptake and root size. I get nervous about purchasing them lol.

Thanks for the compliment and for stopping by!

Premed - my 2 typing fingers have dyslexia - i won't be "suing" flora blend at all:laughtwo:.Damn i don't know how that happens. Not like i am trying to do 50 words a minute.More likely about 15 if i am lucky .Are you nervous thinking you may do more harm than good trying out additives.Only 1 way to find out.Root additive will make quite a big difference. Definitely get yourself a PH meter - have you got a nutrient tester - both will make your grow much easier :;):.

Back
Top Bottom