Preparing for 1st indoor grow

you've come to the right place. :welcome:

maybe tell us a bit about yourself and what your planning for a set up. don't be afraid to ask questions.

you've come to the right place. :welcome:

maybe tell us a bit about yourself and what your planning for a set up. don't be afraid to ask questions.
That's good to hear.
Mine will be an indoor grow in a 4x4 tall tent with Metal halide and HPS 600w ballast. I'm gonna grow autoflower green crack and blue dream auto as soon as my seeds arrive. Honestly, I feel ready for the grow. I've done a ton of reading, compared different methods, strains, root health, plant cycles but the seedling stage is what I am worried about.
Does anyone have any advice about growing autoflower seedings with a 600w HID set up?

Welcome to the dance! That light will work fine, metal halide in veg, hps in bloom. As seedling keep the light up high, or, if available a t-5 fluorescent would be great for seedlings. Are you doing soil, coco, or hydro? As a first try I would recommend soil, it’s a little more forgiving. Get some quality soil, nutes, and 5-7 gal. Grow bags. With autos you only want to transplant once.

Hey guys,
I am almost ready to start my first indoor grow. I've never grown weed indoors or out but I'm gonna give it hell.
:welcome: my friend @Bumfarto
What made you decide on hps?

Stay safe
Bill

Welcome to 420 Magazine @Bumfarto

What type of growing are you interested in?
If you need some ideas checkout other grows journals.

Here's the link when your ready to start.

How to Make a Grow Journal

Also, after you have over 50 posts you can vote and enter our contest to win free grow stuff for our sponsors.

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok.. :bong:

Does anyone have any advice about growing autoflower seedings with a 600w HID set up?

if you haven't geared up consider led now.

there's nothing wrong with running hid and it had it's day. it's all but a dead tech now. in a couple years the bulbs are no longer going to be available, environmental and energy concerns have killed that part of the industry.

led can be real hard for new growers to get their head around. if you go that direction, we can help guide you. it's a big investment, and the most important thing you will ever spend on. light is job 1. everything else flows from that.

auto flowers are a very very poor choice for a first time grower. they are sensitive to issues, and if they catch a problem, new growers often can't fix it before they lose the grow.

it's far easier to control variables on a photo plant. if a problem arises, it can usually be straightened out in veg before it becomes fatal. if a problem does arise, we can help with that too. if you handcuff yourself with an auto, we may not get there in time.

photos will teach you far more about the plant, how it grows, and what it needs. you can then take that experience to grow autos far easier than jumping in with them from the start. photos will also simply produce more for a first timer than an auto can. it's important to fill those jars before messing around.

Ok, cool that's helpful.
I was gonna go with a soil/Coco/pearlite mix (you think that's ok?)
no. awful idea.

go with a soil media or a coco media. never mix them. coco and perlite can be part of a neutralized soil mix, but stick with a commercial mix intended for cannabis growing, don't go creating a franken mix you make yourself. save that for when you've gotten some experience.

for the record i presently grow in straight perlite in a system called hempy. each of those components is a legitimate media all on it's own. no need to mix them around. i generally recommend first time growers to either start in coco, or an hp type neutralized soil. those are usually the easiest media to learn on. both are technically a hydro rules grow.

:welcome: my friend @Bumfarto
What made you decide on hps?

Stay safe
Bip
no. awful idea.

go with a soil media or a coco media. never mix them. coco and perlite can be part of a neutralized soil mix, but stick with a commercial mix intended for cannabis growing, don't go creating a franken mix you make yourself. save that for when you've gotten some experience.

for the record i presently grow in straight perlite in a system called hempy. each of those components is a legitimate media all on it's own. no need to mix them around. i generally recommend first time growers to either start in coco, or an hp type neutralized soil. those are usually the easiest media to learn on. both are technically a hydro rules grow.
Thanks for the advice, looks like I was about to mess up.

Price really. I didn't really have the budget to start out with a strong led. Also, I have a friend who grows and that's what he uses.
I started with a 1000w hps , fantastic light I loved it.
But with so many rooms it just made economic sense to switch to led.
They are pretty good these days, if you get one. :thumb:

Stay safe
Bill

if you haven't geared up consider led now.

there's nothing wrong with running hid and it had it's day. it's all but a dead tech now. in a couple years the bulbs are no longer going to be available, environmental and energy concerns have killed that part of the industry.

led can be real hard for new growers to get their head around. if you go that direction, we can help guide you. it's a big investment, and the most important thing you will ever spend on. light is job 1. everything else flows from that.

auto flowers are a very very poor choice for a first time grower. they are sensitive to issues, and if they catch a problem, new growers often can't fix it before they lose the grow.

it's far easier to control variables on a photo plant. if a problem arises, it can usually be straightened out in veg before it becomes fatal. if a problem does arise, we can help with that too. if you handcuff yourself with an auto, we may not get there in time.

photos will teach you far more about the plant, how it grows, and what it needs. you can then take that experience to grow autos far easier than jumping in with them from the start. photos will also simply produce more for a first timer than an auto can. it's important to fill those jars before messing around.
I really didn't want to mess with autos at all. I was talked into starting with them by someone with more experience than me. It was actually more of a timing thing, by the time I could grow autos he'd have clones ready. I definitely see your points though and now I'm reconsidering my decision. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom