Relaxed's Winter Experiment

RL, as an outdoor grower, do you top your plants at all, or just let nature go her way?

I always top and LST my plants to keep them under their 5-6 foot restriction (the ones in my regular planter bed). For the large 6-7 foot bait plants, I top them once only.
I am only referring to the regular growing season.

I did not want to stun, top, or LST these "winter plants" because of their (hopefully) short life cycle.

Thank you, I understand your reasons too, I was just unsure if it is unwise to top outdoor plants during the regular season. Do you find your harvest weights increased, stayed about the same, or decreased when topped? I am a fan of topping, but planning to go out this summer for my first guerrilla, I want to be as informed as I can get myself before then.

Thank you, I understand your reasons too, I was just unsure if it is unwise to top outdoor plants during the regular season. Do you find your harvest weights increased, stayed about the same, or decreased when topped? I am a fan of topping, but planning to go out this summer for my first guerrilla, I want to be as informed as I can get myself before then.

You can grow an X-mas tree with one very large top cola without topping or LST. (Hence lower yields, but quicker maturation time in my experience) I think the difference between topping once versus twice is equivalent to roughly a 1/8th pound of buds in my case. Here was my first Fire OG plant that was aesthetic to look at, but did not yield amazing amounts:
NON TOPPED
photo_48_3.jpg

TOPPED ONCE
Update510_01224.jpg

Or You can grow a bushy plant that is lower to the ground that carries more buds by doing LST and topping (But it takes longer to mature all the flowers, we see explosions of floral clusters, high abundance -- so all the energy from the plant has to get diverted to each and every site, slowing down maturation time and taking longer to finish). Take a look at this "Mystery Sativa that I deemed to be Sour Apple", LST/toppings are my main tools in my toolbox to battle the vigorous and insane growth we see in the regular growing season, if I did not employ these techniques I would be catching the eye of many people, so I NEED to keep my regular plants under the fence line, so I'll do whatever it takes to control their height.

TOPPED / LSTed MULTIPLE TIMES
Update510_01247.jpg

I understand your reasons Lest but I assumed outdoor growers never did any training. I thought the bigger yields would come from a natural grow if the plant was outside. Learning something new everyday.

Your babies are on their way to becoming young ladies.

I understand your reasons Lest but I assumed outdoor growers never did any training. I thought the bigger yields would come from a natural grow if the plant was outside. Learning something new everyday.

Your babies are on their way to becoming young ladies.

It just depends on how you want the plants to fit into the surroundings. I'm not in the middle of a field where I can have groves of plants. Being in tidy neighborhood I have to groom the plants to fit right in. It just depends on the growers environment and what their goal is. If I was in the RedWood Forest I would not be doing a ton of training...

Thanks for the kind words as always BAR ;)

Is it the 2 outers you believe to be male? They look a little taller. Hey, thanks again for the even more graphic explanation. I, like BAR, thought that a natural grow would produce more, but am glad to gain the knowledge. I'd like to get a lot of the veg time done indoors during the colder part of the spring and sneak them out during the night pre-topped and ready to grow large.

They're looking purdier every day!

It just depends on how you want the plants to fit into the surroundings. I'm not in the middle of a field where I can have groves of plants. Being in tidy neighborhood I have to groom the plants to fit right in. It just depends on the growers environment and what their goal is. If I was in the RedWood Forest I would not be doing a ton of training...

Thanks for the kind words as always BAR ;)

The pains of trying to keep the monsters under the fence line... What a great feeling :)
Looking great over here Les. I think you are spot on with your assessment on the male/fems. Have also noticed that male plants in veg have more vigor, are taller, and seem to be lankier. Girls are looking very healthy :Namaste:

Is it the 2 outers you believe to be male? They look a little taller. Hey, thanks again for the even more graphic explanation. I, like BAR, thought that a natural grow would produce more, but am glad to gain the knowledge. I'd like to get a lot of the veg time done indoors during the colder part of the spring and sneak them out during the night pre-topped and ready to grow large.
Yeah, the two taller, outer ones I guessed would be male, but waiting to see the actual numbers....You are welcome for the graphical explanation, I'll tell you though, a naturally grown and flowered non-topped giant is a beautiful site :) But I'm also enthralled by the site of a beautifully groomed bush-of-love. Let us know when/if you make a journal for your outdoor adventure :thumb:

sweet
Happy Weednsday Relaxed :thumb:

I'm not sure what the correct weed term is for Thursday, but Happy Thursday brotha! Aloha from Cali :byebye:

They're looking purdier every day!
Thank you kindly! I think they have grown like bats out of hell, it reminds me that I am very satisfied with my purcahse at Herbies head shop ! Buy Cannabis Seeds Online - Herbies Seeds Updated:16th Jan 2014 - Cheap Marijuana Seeds UK, the seeds arrived very quickly, discreetly, all viable and worthy seeds, we will see how the genetics pan out.
The pains of trying to keep the monsters under the fence line... What a great feeling :)
Looking great over here Les. I think you are spot on with your assessment on the male/fems. Have also noticed that male plants in veg have more vigor, are taller, and seem to be lankier. Girls are looking very healthy :Namaste:

Thank you kindly CA! Last year was crazy with everything that happened, it was definitely an eye opener, the butterflies are swirling already for this next grow, getting anxious a bit. Exciting though. :tokin::passitleft:

Very nice,:thumb:

I have yet to see a butterfly this year, last year I saw small white/cream colored critters, a little bigger than a quarter, I assume they were moths? Butterflies are just as bad as moths, correct? thank you BugMaster :high-five:

you have been repped by trich

Very nice,:thumb:

I have yet to see a butterfly this year, last year I saw small white/cream colored critters, a little bigger than a quarter, I assume they were moths? Butterflies are just as bad as moths, correct? thank you BugMaster :high-five:

you have been repped by trich

Butterflies are just as bad as moths, correct? thank you Lester

Butterflies are just as bad as moths, correct? thank you Lester

No, not as bad. Some small butterflies can create small pupae which make them hard to find, but the true treachery comes from the moths.

Aloha back there Relaxed
Fishy coined Thursday Thurweed day Have a good one Relaxed :thumb:

Treachery is HARDCORE! & the ideal word for you and your moth war, that war looks like it has reached the point of a treacherous and violent battle in 2014.

I know your moth war is nothing to laugh about, but TREACHERY is a hilarious description.

I would NOT want to be a moth (or a worm egg) in your garden.

May your Moths and ALL offspring RIP, no, may they suffer

Driving thru Lester. I see we are getting prepared to don some amour and do battle with them well you know. I told ya I faired a lot better with the Captain Jack's, a lot. I dosed mine acouple weeks before harvest. Plants are looking healthy and happy. I've been fooled more than once about the males. Tall lanky females and short bushy males.............. Well glad to see your still up and growing.
Keepem Green

Hello! I loved your Hong Kong OG entry in the plant of the month contest so much I had to stop by!

Looking good :) I love the outdoors! Can you believe, not ONE o/d plant in PotY this time around?! Crazy talk.

Back
Top Bottom