Rider’s Final Grow: GCG BOEL Skunk x JohnnyD, aka Thaibodian Skunk

Don’t jinx me, Shed! I had a not good day. It got cold and I don’t have a heater in there anymore. The environment is completely whacked. The VPD is way too high which means the plants are transpiring more and with the crazy high nute strengths I’m running that could spell disaster, like calcium toxicity.
Two things I can do... I’m considering pulling half the nutes out and replacing with plain water to get the nutes down until it warms back up again, or I can raise the lights and run them hard to get the temps up. Raising the lights sounds like less work and I’m getting lazy in my old age.

313FECBC-E347-404B-A217-4734BA8E59EE.png

Everyone should try this sometime... go into your grow space a few minutes before lights out and find a comfortable place to chill. When the lights, fans, humidifier, or whatever turn off you’re left with just the sound of the airstones, or complete silence if you’re growing in soil. After 10 minutes your eyes have adapted to the dark and you can see nothing. You’re alone with just the plants and your other senses like on a quiet, cloudy, moonless night in the tropics. It’s something I enjoy.

The CO2 turns off automatically at lights off and a big exhaust fan purges the room for 15 minutes and brings new air in at the same time. I’m only running 800ppm So it wouldn’t even give you a decent headache. The sign is there just cuz it’s funny. Good point though!

7338BAF5-13F4-4B2B-8705-B3D4122F956D.jpeg

It’s a quiet night in the 420Mag world. Just some random thoughts. I’m flying to Phoenix tomorrow for a few days for the sole purpose of sitting in the sun by a pool. I deserve it. That means my grow will be unattended. I’m thinking that since I won’t be here to refill the humidifier tank my grow room is going to get very dry. In an attempt to keep the VPD from going insanely high I’m going to have to drop the temps. I wish I’d considered this a few days ago so I could do a dry run. I’m thinking if I keep the grow room about 70F the plants should transpire enough to maintain something above desert conditions. Being able to see conditions and the plants from afar has it’s drawbacks. Fingers crossed that I don’t have to watch my plants suffer while I’m enjoying a frosty beverage by the pool.

You'd be surprised on what these things can handle. I'd still keep temps in the mid to upper 70's and let them do their thing. Most hobby growers don't watch their VPD like you do and are always struggling with low humidity and get a decent grow. Might consider backing your nutes down some and humidity from the start to try to make the water in the humidifier last longer. Say 50% rh
Just make sure what happens doesn't interfere with your r&r time that you need.

It’s a quiet night in the 420Mag world. Just some random thoughts. I’m flying to Phoenix tomorrow for a few days for the sole purpose of sitting in the sun by a pool. I deserve it. That means my grow will be unattended. I’m thinking that since I won’t be here to refill the humidifier tank my grow room is going to get very dry. In an attempt to keep the VPD from going insanely high I’m going to have to drop the temps. I wish I’d considered this a few days ago so I could do a dry run. I’m thinking if I keep the grow room about 70F the plants should transpire enough to maintain something above desert conditions. Being able to see conditions and the plants from afar has it’s drawbacks. Fingers crossed that I don’t have to watch my plants suffer while I’m enjoying a frosty beverage by the pool.

I hope you manage to get some relaxing time in the sun. Try to forget the girls- well the leafy kind- and have some fun brother.

Hey Derbybud! Welcome to the madness. Everything you said makes perfect sense. I’ll dial everything back and let it ride.

Derbybud: “Just make sure what happens doesn't interfere with your r&r time that you need.”
Rexer: “Try to forget the girls- well the leafy kind- and have some fun brother.”
Best advice ever! Thank you guys. I appreciate you.

Even if disaster strikes I’ll still have the runt to play with. It refused to die and now it refuses to grow. LOL
I topped it yesterday. It’s hard to believe it’s the same age as the other plants.

DD985342-57B1-4BEA-976D-E50679DE2241.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom