Rider509: Two Thais & G13

Ok I have a thought......

If you think about the red lights they use at a restaurant to keep food warm. Now is this same light penetrating the leaves somewhat to warm them internally that we are not aware of that is causing this? Maybe this internal warming thins the juices to allow it to start the return to roots sooner and also to start the other way faster in the morning.

Hey JM, do a Google search for "The Far Red Thread." It's a couple of years old, and on another forum, but it's got good info and will cover the use of far red way better than I could now. I tend to research the hell out of something, implement it, and then forget the whys and wherefores of my decision.

Hey JM, do a Google search for "The Far Red Thread." It's a couple of years old, and on another forum, but it's got good info and will cover the use of far red way better than I could now. I tend to research the hell out of something, implement it, and then forget the whys and wherefores of my decision.
I have used two red UFO lights that were 600 to 680nm if memory serves. One of the plants was my personal best.

God Damn...
I know, right? I'm not quite sure what happened here or if I could ever duplicate it. This whole grow has been outta control with me scrambling to respond to the plant's needs. I can't even take credit! LOL.

I have used two red UFO lights that were 600 to 680nm if memory serves. One of the plants was my personal best.

If you supplement the deep reds, 680nm, with far reds, 730nm, the Emerson Effect comes into play and the rate of photosynthesis is increased due to a cyclical relationship between photosystems. It's pretty fascinating reading if you're into the science of these plants.

It's surprising that you had good results using only the deep reds since Emerson showed that triggering only that photosystem reduced photosynthesis. It may have been that whatever lights you were using provided enough far red to kick both systems into gear.

The use of only far red after lights out is different than the Emerson Effect. It accelerates the end of day reactions in the plant.

edit: A caveat. Before you take something I post at face value puhleeeze do your own research. There's more to the story of far red than is documented here. Knowing when and how to use it to your advantage can only be achieved through thorough study.

I know, right? I'm not quite sure what happened here or if I could ever duplicate it. This whole grow has been outta control with me scrambling to respond to the plant's needs. I can't even take credit! LOL.
God Damn...

If you supplement the deep reds, 680nm, with far reds, 730nm, the Emerson Effect comes into play and the rate of photosynthesis is increased due to a cyclical relationship between photosystems. It's pretty fascinating reading if you're into the science of these plants.

It's surprising that you had good results using only the deep reds since Emerson showed that triggering only that photosystem reduced photosynthesis. It may have been that whatever lights you were using provided enough far red to kick both systems into gear.

The use of only far red after lights out is different than the Emerson Effect. It accelerates the end of day reactions in the plant.

edit: A caveat. Before you take something I post at face value puhleeeze do your own research. There's more to the story of far red than is documented here. Knowing when and how to use it to your advantage can only be achieved through thorough study.
Ive read about it. Its interesting stuff. I never said it was the lights that made that plant. I don't have those lights now

It was a super seed. That thing had a pulse before it had true leaves. Could have grown it with a Bic lighter.
c48440671ea25a10a870f8edb062a7b4.jpg

Don't have time for all 59 pages tonight but I found this interesting explanation on page 2:
This might help understanding the advantages. Indoors at 12/12 without 730nm, the plant thinks it's 12/10. With 730nm at 14/10 the plant thinks 14/10. Our plants' flowering is controlled by the length of darkness not the amount of light.

That's it in a nutshell, Shed. Cannabis isn't a short day plant, it's a long night plant. That's critical to understand. At one point I could have described the chemical reactions taking place that signal the beginning of night and the role of far red in that reaction. Today I just trust that my understanding was sufficient at the time to make an informed decision. I have way too much going on in my noodle to try to remember the minutia.

edit: I'm out. Time for some hard sci-fi escapist fare to end my day.

I have mars lights up my ass, and could hack the reds (630nm and 660nm) and IR's (730nm) from a big lamp into a small lamp, having 4 IR diodes and 44 red diodes, do you think this would be worthwhile doing or too much hassle compared to the price of a Puck or 2, or the Photo Red/Far Red kit from Rapidled?

Also a lot of good reads on/through the ChilLed site ;)

I have mars lights up my ass, and could hack the reds (630nm and 660nm) and IR's (730nm) from a big lamp into a small lamp, having 4 IR diodes and 44 red diodes, do you think this would be worthwhile doing or too much hassle compared to the price of a Puck or 2, or the Photo Red/Far Red kit from Rapidled?

Also a lot of good reads on/through the ChilLed site ;)
Do you want Infra Red or Ultra Violet?

So far I'm just looking at getting a far red good night light to supplement my quantum boards, but UV is also on the list but that's in the not so near future ;)
That's cool. I'm trying a CMH this grow. It puts out an abnormally large amount of UVB, which is a bad one for us. I had planned to separate my grow area from entertainment area but got lazy.

The deal is that UVB stresses out the plant so it creates more oil to defend against it. I still have a month or so till I have the results, but that's the theory.

That's cool. I'm trying a CMH this grow. It puts out an abnormally large amount of UVB, which is a bad one for us. I had planned to separate my grow area from entertainment area but got lazy.

The deal is that UVB stresses out the plant so it creates more oil to defend against it. I still have a month or so till I have the results, but that's the theory.

Studies show a little higher resin production when exposed to UV-B, I also read that UV-A has positive effects on plants.
The problem with using UV is that it tears plastic which is photodegradeable, so it has to be used with care and one should not have anything held by white strip ties in the growroom ;)

Damn good info here everyone! But still wondering about my incandescent bulb!!! Seems a bit cheaper and easier to drop 1 or 2 low wattage bulbs and reap all the bennies of a fancy growmau5 rapid or chiLED for, how do they say it south of the border, "almost free for you today".

Does a incandecent lightbulb have far red?
It might, but it has the rest of the spectrum too. And infra-red heat lamps likely don't emit much in the 730nm wavelength. Won't work for the intended application. The plant needs total darkness or it won't transition.

It might, but it has the rest of the spectrum too. And infra-red heat lamps likely don't emit much in the 730nm wavelength. Won't work for the intended application. The plant needs total darkness or it won't transition.
Correct but maybe I wasn't totally clear. I wouldn't use them for Emerson effect. But to add the missing deep red and far red to increase photosynthesis or whatever you claimed having the reds in conjunction with the visable spectrum would offer...

And they emit a lot of IR so the cooling of am incandescent bulb after lights out should offer a small blip of Emerson effect, No?

I'm having a "lightbulb moment" over here rider quit peeing on my campfire!

Back
Top Bottom