Shiggity Goes Mad Scientist: Paving The Yellowbrix Road With DIY Adventures!

I have no complaints for what they do, they have done their job well. I orginally put 2 of them in a 6 1/2 foot X 45 inch X 8 ft tall closet, and had to buy a window unit ac to keep temps right, electric bills were huge. I then chose to buy a 4X4 Gorilla tent, and used one light (didn't want excessive heat) the amare continued to perform, but the plants in the four corners leaned way into the light. I agree with Versai in the amare thread (he also used a light meter to measure light values at different heights and such) that the 450 is suitable for 3X3 as a single light source, but not 4X4. ideally, I would like to move back to the closet scenario with scrog and free up the room the tent is in.

EDIT: I should also note that I recently purchased a growers choice 630 DE cmh for the next run in the tent.
That will kill in the tent!

I think for the closet you could get away with three rails for 760W total and probably will be able to dim them down to about 650W total and still get an awesome harvest.
Kinda looks like a vertical flux.
It's a really cool technique I want to try with some fruit trees outside and a wire fence.
Heck you even have me interested in those sips. :thumb:
Check out pedrosgrowroom videos on his SIPs. He has really liked them. And I am super encouraged so far!

Now you have me thinking of putting vertical trellis around the border of the current grow and putting some of the stretched plants from Veg around the edges of the 8x8. Make an espalier.
420-magazine-mobile999512034.jpg

That's how it all began I had 2 sets of plants to flower at once and I wanted to combine vert and flat ,hence the horizontal barebulb seaofgreen/ vert tree / very confusing/ I am stoned/ now I'm pushing grow was born!

Geeze!...wish you fella's' woulda' started this a year ago...coulda' saved a step(or two) in the hillbilly to somewhat current transition...:rofl:...Shiggs...LUV the way you keep pushing the envelope on lighting and growing techniques and freely share...Respect!...cheerz...h00k...:hookah:

If I made a commercial light I would make arms that swing outward with hinges at the frame corners to put spread on the lights. I think the major reason commercial lights are smaller is material cost and shipping cost for large boxes. Locking swingarms would solve that issue. Could put a 100W vero cob on the arms and a few boards in the middle area.
Now you know what I mean !
Could also have one shaped as a cross if you can follow me .
This way it the arms could fold up making it illuminate 4 sides outwards and also downwards could go in a 2m x 2m tent/grow area and grow a flat canopy and 4 vert canopy's that's 5 canopy's in 2x2 m tent .
Fan with ducting venting directly from middle of the box out of the tent!

A square sun.

ShiggityFlip said:

Ok, you got my attention buckaroo. I blogged your instructions. I'll be collecting materials and supplies before the end of the month. I need to calculate real estate availability, so measurements will need to be considered, but by God, I have a Jamaican Bag seed that'll be ready to go by then. I'd be frightened to plant the Malawi in one. Lol! It'll be ready about the same time.

Think I could get both into one SIP?

Ok, you got my attention buckaroo. I blogged your instructions. I'll be collecting materials and supplies before the end of the month. I need to calculate real estate availability, so measurements will need to be considered, but by God, I have a Jamaican Bag seed that'll be ready to go by then. I'd be frightened to plant the Malawi in one. Lol! It'll be ready about the same time.

Think I could get both into one SIP?

I totally think you could get both in there but I'm not sure what the Malawi will decide to do! Do you remember oldergrower's Malawi that took up most of a 4x8? Lmao that plant was a plant for the ages!

Something to think about Sue is that my tubs are 27 gallons total. About a 5 gal resevoir and 20 gallons or so of soil. If I could make a recommendation go one plant per SIP but do this. Get the same tub...but in the 17 gallon size. The de Pot also sells some flexible 4" ventilated plastic drain pipe you could use instead of the 6" that I am using. The SIP would hold about 10-12 gallons actual soil. Could fit two smaller plants like critical cure or one big Malawi.

I totally think you could get both in there but I'm not sure what the Malawi will decide to do! Do you remember oldergrower's Malawi that took up most of a 4x8? Lmao that plant was a plant for the ages!

Something to think about Sue is that my tubs are 27 gallons total. About a 5 gal resevoir and 20 gallons or so of soil. If I could make a recommendation go one plant per SIP but do this. Get the same tub...but in the 17 gallon size. The de Pot also sells some flexible 4" ventilated plastic drain pipe you could use instead of the 6" that I am using. The SIP would hold about 10-12 gallons actual soil. Could fit two smaller plants like critical cure or one big Malawi.

It'd be nice to give the Malawi a tent all her own, or with a smaller partner that could make use of a corner. Neiko's wrapped around his 4x4. :laughtwo: I have no idea yet how I'll control her. I keep envisioning her wrapped around a framework that was just inside the tent perimeter, but the vision isn't clear yet. I am thinking her own tent though, which may call for some creative plant maintenance while things settle down.

They're growing bigger for me this year Shiggity, and I'm still getting used to it. :laughtwo:

Thanks for the advice. I'll be ready by the last week of the month.

Thank you so much dr.h00k...I just want to help my 420fam to empower their own grow. To design their whole system of medical production including lights and grow methods.

We all must help each other up the ladder of success!

We can't thank you enough for steering us in the correct direction and looking things over for us to make sure we had proper parts. We are loving these new boards so far man, now just need to get 4-6 more of them and we're going to a two room grow. LMAO, we're getting to many veg plants now but, wth, it's fun for us. Having so many great people here guide us along has made what we felt was impossible for us to even try, to, growing some pretty awesome Buds and helping out our little group up here with meds and recreational fun.

Thank you again for helping us out Shiggs!!! Couldn't and wouldn't have done the move to boards without your guidance our friend. Your a hellava great guy, we owe you :)

Blessed Buds our friend and be well :passitleft:

It'd be nice to give the Malawi a tent all her own, or with a smaller partner that could make use of a corner. Neiko's wrapped around his 4x4. :laughtwo: I have no idea yet how I'll control her. I keep envisioning her wrapped around a framework that was just inside the tent perimeter, but the vision isn't clear yet. I am thinking her own tent though, which may call for some creative plant maintenance while things settle down.

They're growing bigger for me this year Shiggity, and I'm still getting used to it. :laughtwo:

Thanks for the advice. I'll be ready by the last week of the month.
If I had a Malawi I would scrog her and put vertical scrogs on the side and back walls of the tent. Flip when the bottom scrog is 80% full and let the branches climb the sides. Like an empty box with the top and sides ripped off.
We can't thank you enough for steering us in the correct direction and looking things over for us to make sure we had proper parts. We are loving these new boards so far man, now just need to get 4-6 more of them and we're going to a two room grow. LMAO, we're getting to many veg plants now but, wth, it's fun for us. Having so many great people here guide us along has made what we felt was impossible for us to even try, to, growing some pretty awesome Buds and helping out our little group up here with meds and recreational fun.

Thank you again for helping us out Shiggs!!! Couldn't and wouldn't have done the move to boards without your guidance our friend. Your a hellava great guy, we owe you :)

Blessed Buds our friend and be well :passitleft:
My gosh I had a tear come to my eye, sit on the edge and then roll off onto my cheek. I am full of love for you and yours. Can you believe how bright those boards can be? It's just amazing it's a whole new world.

I have the habit of doing something till I get it figured out then have to move on to another challenge. I think your candle for the next little bit is lit on both ends and in the middle.

I think you said it perfectly "A habit of doing something until having figured it out" is what I do. Accept I don't have to perfect it I just have to know it and then I can move on. But not with cannabis, I want to continue learning and knowing more and more. But at my pace and on my terms but everyday and all around me! That's why I keep coming back here. .

Hey Shiggs, great job on the journal
I cruised through checking out most of the pic/posts
sorry I jammed up your like page, I couldn't stop, lol

I had seen mention of the SIPs in Sues thread and mentioned I had bad luck with them.
I know why it didn't work on the Brix attempt. The perlite they suggested using alone in the lower chamber of the pot got hard as a rock and the roots never developed right.

And the second time I tried with my own super soil blend and only watered it from the bottom. About half way through flowering I had to start top watering to save her. Not sure what happened there. It was my Widow, and she can be finicky.

Is the water getting into all three pipes easily with only one fill tube?
I like the addition of the water level tube.
(a 2 inch riser like that on a hempy would probably let the bottom salt build up get pushed out and show when it needs water.)

these are the pots I used; 7gls for Brix and a 3gl for my soil blend.
eco grow pots
eco_grow_pots_2.jpg

sending out some good vibes to ya for a successful grow :allgood:

Got a link to the Oldgrowers Malawi grow. Sure would like to see that.
Oldergrower has indoor AND outdoor Malawi in an outdoor scrog/trellis. Good fun.
1st Try At DWC/Soil Grow - Huckleberry - Cherry Pie - Dogwalker OG - Malawi Gold
Hey Shiggs, great job on the journal
I cruised through checking out most of the pic/posts
sorry I jammed up your like page, I couldn't stop, lol

I had seen mention of the SIPs in Sues thread and mentioned I had bad luck with them.
I know why it didn't work on the Brix attempt. The perlite they suggested using alone in the lower chamber of the pot got hard as a rock and the roots never developed right.

And the second time I tried with my own super soil blend and only watered it from the bottom. About half way through flowering I had to start top watering to save her. Not sure what happened there. It was my Widow, and she can be finicky.

Is the water getting into all three pipes easily with only one fill tube?
I like the addition of the water level tube.
(a 2 inch riser like that on a hempy would probably let the bottom salt build up get pushed out and show when it needs water.)

these are the pots I used; 7gls for Brix and a 3gl for my soil blend.
eco grow pots
eco_grow_pots_2.jpg

sending out some good vibes to ya for a successful grow :allgood:

Thank you so much hash hound! I think the perlite may not wick enough to keep the soil properly moist. But it works in hempy so not sure why it failed. But if you wanted to try it again I would use actual soil as the wick.

I top water the drenches, and use the tube to fill just fresh water. If I can see water in the indicator tube I don't add fresh water.

I just had a thought! The eco pot looks like it is too easy to over fill with water. It doesn't look like enough air down in the bottom above the resevoir. That means it probably went anaerobic on you. And that means less effective roots and possibly root rot.

As far as filling my tubes I keep my tubes covered with that landscape fabric so there is no soil in between tubes to prevent flow of water from one to another. I think it would still fill if there were soil in between the pipes as some do but I wanted to keep water roots to a minimum and encourage more soil roots.

Shiggity would you say this is almost some type of sip?
Been doing it like this before I knew what a sip was,thanks.
IMG_20170806_161452.jpg
IMG_20170806_161633.jpg
IMG_20170806_174234.jpg

This is for outdoor trees of course.
Nappies in a big container buried pipe allows me to water straight into the container .
I attatch a res to that hose .
Best way to guerilla grow in hot weather.

Back
Top Bottom