Azimuth, as per cardboard and does it need replacing due to rain, no it does not. I place new cardboard Just once a year, when planters are deployed in spring. Rain doesn't hurt them. We don't get a great deal of it in the growing season here - we get more than our fair share in winter - although we are in a unique rain shadow here that serves Victoria very well receiving about half the rain Seattle does each winter and they are not so many miles South of me, by boat, straight line, around 50 in fact. But, all that water is why it is so stunningly lush here in spring, summer, and fall when the sun is out. Anyway, I don't have to worry about these SIPs taking on much water.

The soil has been innoculated all winter and spring with endo mycos, strep, bacillus, and trich's and reservoir are refilled all season long with 1:500 KNF potions, kelp+humic acid, Green Leaf's Sweet Candy, and light to heavy M3ga Cr0p ferts, although this year some are growing using my new RD-Special Worm Castings, and Sweet Candy only, to test for first time this year. I'm very excited about the castings formula I developed, so far I've only grown 2 small cannabis SIPs with it (approx 2 parts promix, 1 part castings and some extra perlite. That weed remains the strongest buzz I've produced in my new indoor setup in the two-plus years I've been running it. Smooth too and its not even fully cured yet. I love that next-day explosion of growth and health that only a dose of worm poop tea provides. It is miraculous shit.

And yes, a nice big huge cannabis tree, 20ft high will grow in those trash-can SIPs, (admittedly they do receive a 3-ft. boost) and they hold 10 gallons of fertigation or water, depending on materials used, which does last a very, very long time esp. if you mulch it so as to maximize (cardboard, or plastic if you want to stretch it to over 14 days in veg, or 7 days at highest demand level, mid/late-flower).

These cukes and tomatoes are going to explode in growth and produce more fruit than you would imagine possible. Surprises me every year, still. Soil is a mix of recycled cannabis Promix, well-cooked super soil from my giant raised bed (can be seen in the background), and leaf compost. Lots and lots of 5-7 year-old leaf compost that I keep in garbage bags in a deep hole. Each bag gets a handful of wormcastings and mycos when 'sealed'. It just keeps things moving faster and in movable, identifiable (by year) package. Every SIP got microbe infusions, worm teas, etc to get started and the first fill is not heavily fertilized but is heavily conditioned with things to feed microbes, install auxins (kelp, willow) and other hormones, and otherwise condition the soil. There's so damn much of it in each SIP, gotta imagine 30 gallons of soil in the trash cans, that I'm very conscious of needing the soil to have the right properties from day one. No screwing around, just like when growing weed. Not here to fuck around and look cool, I'm trying to feed myself the best food possible while only spending money on inexpensive staples like rice and oatmeal, etc. , in bulk at low prices, just like I was living up in the islands, off-grid again.

I don't have to water but once a week at most throughout season, and nothing bad happens if it goes two weeks, although I may yet set these guys up on a gravity-fed, control bucket auto-fill system I made that sources from a 50 gal drum. Next year I mean to set six of these huge SIPs up on this auto-system, waaay up on my roof where I typically keep a nice garden on the flat area. I have damage up there currently however and must fix before next rainy season, but have to do it myself ($$) so it will take all summer. No auto-fed roof-weed this year. Really disappointed, but I didn't have any genetics in time anyway, and its the only hidden outdoor location to grow that I have onsite, outside. I'm an OG outdoor guerilla grower, at volume, so in my heart I always want to grow trees outside. But considering the control I have inside, and with two 5x5 flower tents, each with a 1100w top-end
LED, I really don't have any reasons left to grow outside and risk attracting negative attention.

Dont forget that you can supercharge your diet and your health by sprouting seeds and eating sprouts every day. Nothing is healthier. Mung beans cost pennies, sunflower seeds, wheat seeds (go for the white over everyone else's recommendation the red, the white is far less prone to mould, and most large Victoria, Seattle, Vancouver grocery stores carry in bulk. I also grow for wheatgrass and juice it after 7 days. You can always grow some food in the empty spaces under your grow lights... I do.

These couldn't be simpler to build, and the growth, the produce is stunning. I'll keep this thread intermittently updated with pics of these guys in particular, though I'll show you my 12, 5-gallon tomato plant SIPs soon also. I find that now, since having indoor equip that I can use to keep growing more seedlings all the time, growing vegetables this way is extremely efficient, and a much different experience to what you may have had in the past, as I've mentioned. I choose to decorate with those succulent plants because I have a bajillion of them (I sell them in the summer) but it means I really can ignore the whole area for a week at a time if I have to, which, unfortunately, is happening quite a lot lately.

I've developed a serious problem with my swallowing. Specifically, I can't anymore. It always gets stuck 1/3 the way down and then has to come back up. Every. Single. Time. Some days I struggle even to take water, although I recently developed a procedure requiring me to tuck my chin in and down as much as possible to successfully swallow liquids. Fun. I've been living on juiced wheatgrass, slimfast and vitamins for weeks, nay, coming on months now. Cannot get a proper diagnosis yet, a swallow test ruled out some things but wasn't diagnostic.

However, in my research, I have discovered that it has an across-the-board 80% mortality rate in 24 months., this means regardless the cause or specific mechanics, age, whatever, 80% of people with this problem die in 2 years! Yeesh! I'm in my forties! So, we're gonna get something figured out because I'm losing 5 pounds a week presently, reliably. Now, because I'm a natural genius I made sure that I was plenty overweight before all of this started a few months ago. Brilliant when you think about it. ha!

However, in my research, I have discovered that it has an across-the-board 80% mortality rate in 24 months., this means regardless the cause or specific mechanics, age, whatever, 80% of people with this problem die in 2 years! Yeesh! I'm in my forties! So, we're gonna get something figured out because I'm losing 5 pounds a week presently, reliably.
Damn RD I sure hope they sort you out right quick! :eek:

Damn RD I sure hope they sort you out right quick! :eek:
Thanks, Shed. Y'know, I recently started making 'rice bags', dry rice, as you recommended, but I used those porous nursery bags for seedlings to make larger dry-rice bags and put them into my buckets of dry fertilizers and kelp, etc. they work really well absorbing moisture. I just replace them after a while. Thanks for that, I figured I'd share my little spin on it. I used to keep 25lb dry hydrophilic ferts divided up into canning jars - what a pain. Now I use those rice bags inside tidy-cat pails/lids, and I live in one of the wettest places there is! Works amazingly well. Cheers mate, much appreciated! 25lbs of Sweet Candy - clump free! It's a miracle!
1C00E24B-0CD7-4816-B103-123B85ABF873.jpeg

Azimuth, as per cardboard and does it need replacing due to rain, no it does not. I place new cardboard Just once a year, when planters are deployed in spring. Rain doesn't hurt them.
Ok, great to know. I use similar black totes for my outdoor veggies and you're right, the soil does get quite hot with the sun beating on them all day. I'll try your cardboard idea as lord knows we have enough of that coming to the house regularly.

And yes, a nice big huge cannabis tree, 20ft high will grow in those trash-can SIPs, (admittedly they do receive a 3-ft. boost)
So, really only a 17 foot plant. :(

:laughtwo:

Sorry to hear of your swallowing issue. Hope you get that id'd and treated asap!

Hope you get better soon homeboy! Maybe a lidocaine gargle would help to numb the esophagus and let some food go down? I buy lidocaine in sprays and liquid form to do tattoos, super easy to get.

I am officially a SIPPER!

Yesterday I built two 5 gallon SIP buckets following the instructions here.
Took about an hour (if you remove the time I spent fiddling about, smoking a doobie, and looking for the right tools).

The center hole for the "wick" is only about an inch and a half round - hope that is enough.

I used a grinder to notch the bottom that sits in the water. This should help airflow.

I read recently that airflow is important to the roots so instead of using the half inch PVC for the overflow I used 3/4 - same as the fill tube.

I'll put tiny fruit netting bags on both pipes to keep critters out. I used some blue painters tape to cover the bottom third of the buckets to help reduce algae growth. May not be an issue as the irrigation piping is black and not much water will sit outside of the donut.

Today I up-potted two plants into the SIP buckets. Took about an hour.
I used half FFOF and half used soil from last year (which was new FFOF). Also added lots of perlite - especially to the bottom third. I also added the GROW DOTS to the soil for timed-release nutrients. I placed about a third of the soil into the bottom of the bucket, thoroughly soaked the soil and lightly pressed it down into the center hole. Added another third and soaked the soil. Added the last third on top, soaked that, then transplanted. I ended up short of the soil I added DOTS to, so I just added some of the used soil mix on top - about an inch. This puts the DOTS goodies lower so no biggie. Soaked again until runoff out of the overflow pipe.

Here they are sitting pretty.

I'm a little worried about the DOTS releasing nutes in a timely manner. I may need to add some liquid nutes and top water. We'll see if they start to yellow a bit again.

Wish me luck!

Freedom Isn't Free - today we remember our fallen warriors.​

Took about an hour (if you remove the time I spent fiddling about, smoking a doobie, and looking for the right tools).

The center hole for the "wick" is only about an inch and a half round - hope that is enough.

I used a grinder to notch the bottom that sits in the water. This should help airflow.

I read recently that airflow is important to the roots so instead of using the half inch PVC for the overflow I used 3/4 - same as the fill tube.

I'll put tiny fruit netting bags on both pipes to keep critters out. I used some blue painters tape to cover the bottom third of the buckets to help reduce algae growth. May not be an issue as the irrigation piping is black and not much water will sit outside of the donut.

I used half FFOF and half used soil from last year (which was new FFOF). Also added lots of perlite - especially to the bottom third. I also added the GROW DOTS to the soil for timed-release nutrients. I placed about a third of the soil into the bottom of the bucket, thoroughly soaked the soil and lightly pressed it down into the center hole. Added another third and soaked the soil. Added the last third on top, soaked that, then transplanted. I ended up short of the soil I added DOTS to, so I just added some of the used soil mix on top - about an inch. This puts the DOTS goodies lower so no biggie. Soaked again until runoff out of the overflow pipe.

I'm a little worried about the DOTS releasing nutes in a timely manner. I may need to add some liquid nutes and top water. We'll see if they start to yellow a bit again.

Wish me luck!

I like the looks of that build.

Looking NICE!

Thanks. I'm pretty geeked since it's my current favorite strain and I'm fresh out. Restocking as quick as possible is a good thing. Last ones were yielders although quite short and stocky. I stunted those early on. Hoping I can get close to 2lbs off these 4. Lofty goal but I think I got a shot given their quick growth so far.

I'm a little worried about the DOTS releasing nutes in a timely manner.
As soon as they get watered, the Dots start working..I don't think you'll need to worry about yellowing until apx, day 65, then you just add some Purpinator (or another pk booster), and that yellowing should be short-lived.
I think the leaves that are pale now will green back up in a few days too.
Nice work, GB!

I like the looks of that build.
I do too- that is Sweet!👍

As soon as they get watered, the Dots start working..I don't think you'll need to worry about yellowing until apx, day 65, then you just add some Purpinator (or another pk booster), and that yellowing should be short-lived.
I think the leaves that are pale now will green back up in a few days too.
Nice work, GB!

I do too- that is Sweet!👍
Thanks Carcass!
I'll post progress reports here and in my grow journal.

Wish me luck!

Welcome to The Club, @GratefulBud ! Nice clean build.

Next time, when you are adding soil, press the center part inside the pipe  firmly to insure no air spaces and to be sure it gets down under the bottom curve of the pipe so no settling occurs that could affect wicking. The rest of the soil in the bucket above the black pipe gets firmed in just like you would normally do for any other pot.

I'm looking forward to your grow. Good luck! :goodluck:

Ahoy There!
The project purple really enjoyed the MeJA I'm thinking. She is coming down this weekend. My first SIP harvest.

Full Sails :love:

Wish me luck!

I really like the simplicity of the build! I think I'm learning (at least in my experience) that starting the plants in solo cups wasn't needed. Next time they're getting planted directly in the SIPs, they're two weeks in the SIPs today and they still haven't emptied the reservoir. They look much much happier.

What did you up pot from?

Next time, when you are adding soil, press the center part inside the pipe  firmly to insure no air spaces and to be sure it gets down under the bottom curve of the pipe so no settling occurs that could affect wicking. The rest of the soil in the bucket above the black pipe gets firmed in just like you would normally do for any other pot.

Thanks!
Yes I firmly packed soil in the center and around edges. Hoping I got it right for proper wicking action. Will know in a few days I guess.

I really like the simplicity of the build! I think I'm learning (at least in my experience) that starting the plants in solo cups wasn't needed. Next time they're getting planted directly in the SIPs, they're two weeks in the SIPs today and they still haven't emptied the reservoir. They look much much happier.

What did you up pot from?
They were in solo cups. I was watering by dunking cup in a larger container, but leaving the top half inch of soil in the cup dry. The roots were just starting to go wild. Sprouted above ground about a month ago.

One other interesting thing. As I wet the soil and packed it down I would lift the bucket a few inches and drop it. I would get a large puff of air coming out of the overflow pipe. The corrugated tubing is very flexible (cuts easy with a razor knife) and acts like a bellows. Might be good for air movement.

Highya Azimuth, guys,

My SIP outdoor planter has lettuce up, 3 cannabis plants (down to one as soon they show sex), and pickling cukes (haven't germinated yet. The cannabis plants have only been there 4-5 days, so not much activity there, yet. But, I wanted to explain about the soil is moist all the way to the top. I used compost from a 10 year old horse manure pile. I added some perlite (I didn't think it was enough) to help with wicking. Filled the reservoir, and a couple days later the soil is moist at the top. I think this will work very well. Time will tell. Happy Smokin'

Back
Top Bottom